#1 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

Are we going to pretend like she didn't just revolutionize the way albums will be released in the future? After what she's done today people won't want to listen to albums anymore, they'll want to watch them instead. Agree? Disagree? Why? Why not? C'mon you guys share your thoughts.
  • OfficeTime8889 and JrSAMPLES like this

#2 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

i doubt I'll even check it out
  • GC90 likes this

#3 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:18 PM

#4 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

I watched a few clips on iTunes. It's an interesting concept. I am sure it will encourage others to copy. I am loving that Grown Women video stylee. But overall, 1) I hate Beyonce 2) most of the vids appeared to be the same. 3) I hate Beyonce.

#5 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

At this point I believe that this album will change the game on how uber pop stars release their music... due to the issue that the masses will demand this to be a feature to their purchased product (i.e. hamburger / chessburger / bacon cheeseburger proliferation).
"Would you like your Katy Perry clothed or topless?"

I do not believe that this tactic of overt visual & auditory stimulant is best for all music. Due to the fact that quality music can stand alone, not needing supplement to sell people on its exsitence.

#6 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

i agree with DELCO. well said.

Major artists & labels are constantly trying new things, and the game changes every year. No one is ever going to find anything that really works the way that it did in the pre-internet decades.

For Beyonce fans, a bunch of tracks & videos for 16 bucks seems like it's a fair deal. It's better than putting your album on a damn Samsung phone.

#7 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

I caught the "Partition" video on FB ... Beyonce is sexy as fuck in that vid

#8 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

I hear it's a good album.

Also no one cares about Death Grips doing this, they are not well known enough to make a massive impact.
  • James Frank. likes this

#9 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

Other people have done it and try to tell stories with videos for their albums. Kanye kind of did it before MBDTF came out. It's interesting and show's dedication, but I don't think it's a huge game changer, no.

#10 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

Musically, she does seem to be taking more "risks". I think she has been influenced by Drake and the Weeknd. The sound seems to be much more interesting than say "Single Ladies".

#11 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

Posted Image

*btw sorry for biting your signature line, Pete. it just seemed very organized and spiffy...

#12 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:46 AM

I should

At this point I believe that this album will change the game on how uber pop stars release their music... due to the issue that the masses will demand this to be a feature to their purchased product (i.e. hamburger / chessburger / bacon cheeseburger proliferation).
"Would you like your Katy Perry clothed or topless?"

I do not believe that this tactic of overt visual & auditory stimulant is best for all music. Due to the fact that quality music can stand alone, not needing supplement to sell people on its exsitence.

First of all I want to thank you for reading what I wrote correctly. I was beginning to wonder how this went in the opposite direction of where I wanted to take this discussion to.

As someone who makes records and performs music for a living I sorta disagree from a business standpoint. You now have a generation of fans who feel they are entitled to music and devalued it financially and emotionally.

The album was once a treasured experience from buying the Vinyl, Cassette or CD to it being quickly devalued emotionally thanks to the MP3 and the advent of hobbyist musicians putting out albums because now they can afford to buy or steal software that allows them to do it and watch tutorials on youtube to learn how to achieve that sound that so and so is doing.

Everyone is making music now or knows at least 3 - 7 people within their social circle who are making music so they are desensitized to those artists and producers who are actually doing it for real.

Streaming services like Spotify, Pandora, Rdio, and Slacker are no help either. They charge a low monthly rate and allow their customers to listen to whatever they want while paying us the artists nothing while they are expanding territories globally opening cushy office spaces in various cities paying their staffers at least a minimum of $80k per year which is more than what most indie labels like Stones Throw can afford to pay artists these days for their music sales. Why because no one is buying music like they used to anymore.

But beautifully shot and composited music videos still make an emotional connection with music fans who are more likely to support an artist who frequently release a video component with their music. It's like what Oddisee titled one of his albums.

"People Hear What They See".

Beyonce's new Visual Album sold over 80,000 within 3 hours of it's release on iTunes and that was with absolutely no pre-released marketing hype, but what pushed it so quickly was the fact that every song had a video attached to it. What she's done is prove that the visual album is a viable selling platform.

Yes, Beyonce is a "Megastar" in fact she's the absolute perfect music artist in this day and age to introduce this as a new business model for the album because not only is she a beautiful woman with full on sex appeal, a great singer and a top level performer. but most important she has a "Stanbase" and that's very good for business.

Every professional indie artist be it the Underground Backpacker MC, the Boho Socialite Soul Singer, or the Funky, Jazzy, Soulful Beatsmith should seriously change their course of thinking in how they approach their albums from this point on because it's going to become that much harder as the major labels will invest more into the visual medium thus forcing the indie labels to either meet this challenge or die a certain death.

As I told one of my friends yesterday. I totally missed the boat with my forthcoming album #REALHIPHOP to do a video for each and every song, but believe me when I tell you that for #REALHIPHOP2 and #REALHIPHOP3 every song on those albums will have videos for them. I don't care if I have to spend one year producing the records and then another year to shoot and edit the videos for each song. I won't release those albums without videos, because that's where this business is headed.

#13 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:42 AM

I would beware your preminision Pete. Yes, beyonce has killed it with this genius tactic. However, two things.

1) will the expense of making a video for each song outweigh what you recoup? Point Blank.

2) this could well be a fad. Remember when 3D movies were the best? Now a days, people are moving away from them. Why? Because the "thrill", or spectacle if you will, is gone. Also, people are more reluctant to have to pay extra for the glasses. So, just like the extra money people would pay for your video album, by the time you release your next album, the "thrill" may be gone.

#14 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:24 AM

I would beware your preminision Pete. Yes, beyonce has killed it with this genius tactic. However, two things.

1) will the expense of making a video for each song outweigh what you recoup? Point Blank.

2) this could well be a fad. Remember when 3D movies were the best? Now a days, people are moving away from them. Why? Because the "thrill", or spectacle if you will, is gone. Also, people are more reluctant to have to pay extra for the glasses. So, just like the extra money people would pay for your video album, by the time you release your next album, the "thrill" may be gone.

Maybe my outlook on this differs from yours because I'm close to being a self contained indie artist and the way I see it, music videos are only as expensive as you the artist permit them to be. If you're willing to take control of your career, then you'll get the creative results you seek.

For instance, just like I invested in my studio gear to make my records, I also took my royalties and invested in video production gear. I own a DSLR Full HD 1080p camera, a few different lenses, a simple 3 point lighting system, greenscreen, tripods, shoulder rig, jib arm, a slider, a pan and tilt head as well.

I also made sure to obtain whatever software and firmware within my reach like:

Magic Lantern is a free firmware for my cameras that opens up the RAW video features so I can get the absolute highest resolution from my camera.

http://youtu.be/k1HWFJ7LoRU

I recently purchased Film Convert which gives that RAW footage the edge needed to achieve that cinematic look.

http://youtu.be/WTEiXTbXczM

There's tons of easy to follow video tutorials on color grading, motion graphic, effects and editing techniques that you can learn if you're serious about your music career. So to me there are no excuses for indie artists not to do it in this age.

Look at Ka, he does all his own videos, and produces all his own records and does plenty of shows per year. He's the true meaning of the D.I.Y. Artist. I look at him as a modern day hero because he completely empowered himself as an artist.

There is no excuse today for artists not to do visual albums. The ones who don't will eventually perish in the coming onslaught this new business model promises. 34 years ago people said the music video was a fad, they said the same about Rock & Roll and about Hip Hop and EDM music. They also said the same about the digital music file.

Sorry to break this to you, but the visual album not only arrived but it's here to stay and in 5 years from now when it's the norm you'll remember this very discussion.
  • James Frank. likes this

#15 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:51 AM

It can be done, and while her idea is original, getting out tons of videos is quite common, and well practiced for the succesful indie artist. Danny Brown, A$AP, Action Bronson and RiFF RaFF all have sizable youtube content.

If you think you can, why not? If you think you should, why not?

I'm just saying.

#16 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:50 AM

Hasn't this video concept been done in the 80's with Janet Jackson, babyface and others? Didn't Bjork do something with the iPad and her album? I doubt her attempt will revolutionize anything.

#17 Annie Hall Records

Annie Hall Records

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

yep

#18 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

It can be done, and while her idea is original, getting out tons of videos is quite common, and well practiced for the succesful indie artist. Danny Brown, A$AP, Action Bronson and RiFF RaFF all have sizable youtube content.

If you think you can, why not? If you think you should, why not?

I'm just saying.

Hasn't this video concept been done in the 80's with Janet Jackson, babyface and others? Didn't Bjork do something with the iPad and her album? I doubt her attempt will revolutionize anything.

Hey guys.... I understand what you're saying and all, I really do, but.... None of those artists you mentioned released an album of videos straight out the gate. They either done a limited version covering one or two songs or done videos after they released their albums. I'm by far no Beyonce stan, I can probably can tell you up to 4 songs by hers I know of by ear and I still would have to hear them to remember them.

I'm going to give credit where credit is due, Beyonce is the very first artist to release a visual album. She just changed the game. Give the woman her props and then apply that your own music or encourage your favorite artists to do the same, because mark my words... after this the album will never be the same in the majority of consumers minds.

I was just told via email by my manager that a reliable source told him that she possibly sold over 600k units within a 24 Hour period and her album will be #1 on the billboard charts. If this is true we're going to see more of this from the major labels much sooner than the 5 year span I originally anticipated.

#19 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

i will never listen to any of her music after the first album but i feel ya pete!!!!!

#20 Sobermindedmusic

Sobermindedmusic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/sober-minded-music

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:14 AM

The method is revolutionary. The music is actually good.

#21 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

The method is revolutionary. The music is actually good.

its sad that im so into other music ill never hear it... smh

geech gotta do better!
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

#22 Sobermindedmusic

Sobermindedmusic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/sober-minded-music

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

its sad that im so into other music ill never hear it... smh

geech gotta do better!

Here u go.
http://www.hiphopdx....-surprise-album

Prediction! The line from the song Flawless "I woke up like dis" will be repeated ad nauseam in 2014.

#23 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

Pete, you know I agree with you on a lot of points especially concerning the horrifying deconstruction of the music industry. We're in a dark tunnel right now and there's no telling what's gonna happen when we finally come out the other side. It seems more and more that people are just not at all open to taking the necessary steps to prevent the spread of bootleg free music, and I know I'D be terrified if I was a musician.

However, gotta disagree with you on some other points. Beyonce's shown what a megastar can do with a good, semi-new idea. It's no doubt been a smart move by her. But you're not taking into account all the things that make Beyonce "special" over even mid-range artists. Like the fact that Beyonce has one of the largest, intensely devoted fanbases out there and the drawing power to get even casual fans or non-fans talking about her. She's a pop-culture icon. The roster of guest stars on the album includes other megastars such as Pharrell, timberlake, Jay-Z, Drake, Frank Ocean, etc., each of which has their own rabid, devoted, Massive fan bases. And most of all, people are willing to invest a limitless amount of money in her because of her time-tested ability to sell Beyonce© to the people. A lot of people would pay 15 bucks just to watch her lick her lips in HD. I don't doubt that other major labels will try something like this in the future, but I think you're overestimating its viability and game-changing-ness.

I'm a filmmaker, and I must say, I think it's pretty funny that you're sort of slamming hobbyist musicians who buy a bunch of programs and jump out to dilute the market while at the same time you're talking about turning your DSLR into a 4K camera with hacks and with little experience of your own jumping into the moving-image department.

I can tell you from experience that good images will cost you money. More money than you probably realize. To create even an album-length-comparable 30-minute film (yes, even utilizing a hacked MKIII) it can cost you tens of thousands of dollars if you want to do it properly. If you don't want your "visual album" to take place entirely in your apartment complex with only natural lighting, an artist is going to have to shell out some serious cash up front before their album makes even one sale. And that's on top of whatever it's cost you to record your album. One or two quirky low budget go-pro videos are fine for any album, but I doubt people are going to pay 15 bucks for an albums worth. You've got your cousin's friend's ranch to shoot on, or you snuck your camera and subjects into Coney Island for the day, but one cool free location won't a "visual album" make. If they're paying prices higher than at the movie theater for a 30-minute set of videos, people are going to want at least that caliber of visuals for their buck (or you better have some Beyonce-caliber ladies in there).

Now whether you're talking about just top-tier artists I'm not sure, but their costs are even bigger. The bigger an artist, the less people are going to accept boring videos, the more they'll want visual flare, cars on fire, expensive set-pieces, etc. The smaller artists might be able to get away with less in that department, but it'll also be incredibly hard for them to convince people to buy their product that's only available as a video at first. In order for people to make this format work, it has to be economically viable enough for a label to shell out enough dough to create an interesting product, AND it has to be enticing enough that putting out a weird staggered release doesn't dilute your own sales. I don't think just anybody should attempt to release a visual version of their album followed by an audio release weeks later.

Music videos had a lot going for them even fifteen years ago. They were a great promotional tool until youtube came along as a venue and flooded the market, and album sales dropped so drastically that it simply became less strategically sensible to drop thousands of dollars on what is essentially a commercial that you can no longer guarantee anyone will watch. And the notion that people won't be bootlegging and redistributing a "visual album" just as quickly and easily is a dangerous one to harbor I fear.
  • Shadeprint, GC90, James Frank. and 1 other like this

#24 miss stress

miss stress

Cool Table shareholder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

Oo okay not one post on Mandela but we talking about Beyaki album

*twerks out the post*
  • DJ Projexion, Shadeprint and Tastik BEATS like this

#25 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

Amazing how the subject of a post can change so quickly

#26 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

although I will say I don't think she did anything terribly interesting with the videos themselves, and I definitely think someone could do something way more cool and exciting with the format with WAY less money than it undoubtedly took her. I'd like to see a more eclectic artist give it a shot, I'd shell out 15 bucks for a Madvillain "visual album", but ST doesn't have shit to spend on videos either.
  • Shadeprint likes this

#27 Shadeprint

Shadeprint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://www.soundcloud.com/shadeprint

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

Man, I struggle to understand why people speak so highly of her, everything she's involved in seems so forced.
  • gEEchieDan likes this

#28 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:27 AM

Pete, you know I agree with you on a lot of points especially concerning the horrifying deconstruction of the music industry. We're in a dark tunnel right now and there's no telling what's gonna happen when we finally come out the other side. It seems more and more that people are just not at all open to taking the necessary steps to prevent the spread of bootleg free music, and I know I'D be terrified if I was a musician.

Peace Swamp Thing,

First of all I thank you for your comment, because I really appreciate discussions like this. I don't really see the dark tunnel you describe, I view this more as a problem that could be solved. I believe the more the consumer are aware of the changes that us professional musicians have endured during this very rough adjustment period, people who download our music illegally or gravitate towards the "Freemium" model will eventually mature in their support of the artists they are fans of.

The people who are elected to go Washington D.C. are basically colluding against creatives with these corporations that don't want to pay us for our music on a daily basis, because we in the artist community are lax to hold them accountable.

The music fan does not realize nor do the majority of them care how their feeling of entitlement to our intellectual property harms us. Yet they want our music for free.

However, gotta disagree with you on some other points. Beyonce's shown what a megastar can do with a good, semi-new idea. It's no doubt been a smart move by her. But you're not taking into account all the things that make Beyonce "special" over even mid-range artists. Like the fact that Beyonce has one of the largest, intensely devoted fanbases out there and the drawing power to get even casual fans or non-fans talking about her. She's a pop-culture icon. The roster of guest stars on the album includes other megastars such as Pharrell, timberlake, Jay-Z, Drake, Frank Ocean, etc., each of which has their own rabid, devoted, Massive fan bases. And most of all, people are willing to invest a limitless amount of money in her because of her time-tested ability to sell Beyonce© to the people. A lot of people would pay 15 bucks just to watch her lick her lips in HD. I don't doubt that other major labels will try something like this in the future, but I think you're overestimating its viability and game-changing-ness.

I think you should re-read my reply to DELCO especially the part where I pointed out that Beyonce has a "Stanbase". I apologize if my play on words was lost on you, I was hoping someone would have seen what I done there.

I'm a filmmaker, and I must say, I think it's pretty funny that you're sort of slamming hobbyist musicians who buy a bunch of programs and jump out to dilute the market while at the same time you're talking about turning your DSLR into a 4K camera with hacks and with little experience of your own jumping into the moving-image department.

I can tell you from experience that good images will cost you money. More money than you probably realize. To create even an album-length-comparable 30-minute film (yes, even utilizing a hacked MKIII) it can cost you tens of thousands of dollars if you want to do it properly. If you don't want your "visual album" to take place entirely in your apartment complex with only natural lighting, an artist is going to have to shell out some serious cash up front before their album makes even one sale. And that's on top of whatever it's cost you to record your album. One or two quirky low budget go-pro videos are fine for any album, but I doubt people are going to pay 15 bucks for an albums worth. You've got your cousin's friend's ranch to shoot on, or you snuck your camera and subjects into Coney Island for the day, but one cool free location won't a "visual album" make. If they're paying prices higher than at the movie theater for a 30-minute set of videos, people are going to want at least that caliber of visuals for their buck (or you better have some Beyonce-caliber ladies in there).

Now whether you're talking about just top-tier artists I'm not sure, but their costs are even bigger. The bigger an artist, the less people are going to accept boring videos, the more they'll want visual flare, cars on fire, expensive set-pieces, etc. The smaller artists might be able to get away with less in that department, but it'll also be incredibly hard for them to convince people to buy their product that's only available as a video at first. In order for people to make this format work, it has to be economically viable enough for a label to shell out enough dough to create an interesting product, AND it has to be enticing enough that putting out a weird staggered release doesn't dilute your own sales. I don't think just anybody should attempt to release a visual version of their album followed by an audio release weeks later.

Music videos had a lot going for them even fifteen years ago. They were a great promotional tool until youtube came along as a venue and flooded the market, and album sales dropped so drastically that it simply became less strategically sensible to drop thousands of dollars on what is essentially a commercial that you can no longer guarantee anyone will watch. And the notion that people won't be bootlegging and redistributing a "visual album" just as quickly and easily is a dangerous one to harbor I fear.

No one was slamming the hobbyist, I pretty much pointed out that because of this particular influx, the consumer has become desensitized and this has become a major factor in the devaluation of music.

Hmmmmm......As far as it goes with photographer/filmmaker side of me, I have two choices here...

I could reveal some things about myself that you do not know or I could just continue to do what I've been doing over the past few weeks in preparation for the release of my album #REALHIPHOP which is dropping on February 7, 2014......

I'll go with the latter being that would be a lot more fun when you actually see the music video we've been shooting. :lol:

#29 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

I wouldnt want my favorite artist to make a vid for every song because it may take away from my imagination. My favorite artist is my favorite artist because they focus on the art more and not following trends largely due to the business aspect. I dont care how many records they move as long as I love what they do as a creative individual.

#30 captaincookie

captaincookie

STMC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

Lil B did it first in this era.
  • GC90 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users