40 replies to this topic

#1 Tackler

Tackler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

Does anyone know what happened to him? He had so much potential and was one of my favorite MCs for a time. After signing to the Roc i didnt hear any more new material from him other than the track he had with Jay Z, they both went in on that, the unreleased with just blaze, crackin sample, and he got me thinking about him again after his verse on control which i think was better than kendrick lamars! Any one got any updates on dude?!

#2 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

http://www.dailymail...sband-No-2.html

Too busy stealing rich dudes wives to rap
  • D'MosPhree and James Frank. like this

#3 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

http://www.dailymail...sband-No-2.html

Too busy stealing rich dudes wives to rap

hear hear!

although i'm pretty sure he's finally ready to release Act II: Patents of Nobility sometime soon, from what i've read. the reason it took so long is that he made like 3-4 versions in their entirety, scrapping each one completely and starting from scratch multiple times because he didn't like it.

#4 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

He is such an enigma. And, perhaps more, a contradiction. So cool, yet so douchey.

#5 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

i still respect him enough to just let him do whatever the fuck he wants and take his time, he's obviously proven his worth in this industry by making arguably the best hip-hop track/s post-Madvillainy. Act I is still an amazing feat to me, untouchable imo. the concept alone is enough to satiate even the stuffiest of high-brow hip-hop snobs.

#6 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

True.

I think he is amazing. And, probably loving his life. Imagine his path. He drops some shit, it blows up. Get super famous, pursued by the biggest names in the hip hop industry. Fucks it all off, basically. Steals the wife of a man, she, a Roth,an is basically the bloodline of any Illuminati, if it exists.

Dude is kind of a genius.

#7 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:39 PM

Was good on Control too

#8 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

I personally never understood all the hype around him

#9 Cheel

Cheel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC AND TING
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/cheel

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:27 AM

I personally never understood all the hype around him

Yeah to be honest I heard one song of his, that one with the 'I know you're out there' matrix sample at the start, didn't like it, and never checked for him again.

Sorry mr electronica

#10 Tackler

Tackler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

the best mc with no album ive ever heard.

yea cheel you gotta dig past one song. never understood people who can come to a conclusion on an entire artist based off one song.

i just like the fact that he rhymes about spiritual things and spreads knowledge about being a powerful human being. His metaphors are mad nice too and his beat selection isnt the same as other rappers out there. When he produces its usually just a loop but his rhymes do so much with just a loop and when he selects beats theyre more abstract. his flow is incredible as well.

i heard his verse on control and thought yeah kendricks verse was powerful enough to spark some talk, but jay electronica really had the best verse on the track. Most people wouldnt agree however since they arent up on him.

im also interested to find out if he will change his delivery, beat selection, music content, since hes signed to a major label. Jay Z is also known for having told Lupe Fiasco to dumb down his music and he would sign him to the ROC but Lupe declined.

#11 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

I have heard more than one song, even though I don't think your comment was aimed at me, but I just never been to blown away by the guy. It's probably because I'm not that into lyrics. I agree that his beat selection is on point though. When it comes to music I am far more interested in the beat/instrumental and there are few who can grab my attention with their lyrics.

But never mind me, I don't get the hype around Nas and many other hip-hop "gods" neither
Posted Image

#12 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

i heard his verse on control and thought yeah kendricks verse was powerful enough to spark some talk, but jay electronica really had the best verse on the track. Most people wouldnt agree however since they arent up on him.

I dunno, I've been digging Jay for awhile but Kendrick was clearly the one who killed it on that track (lol @ Big Sean, Kendrick/Jay both made him sound shitty)

#13 Cheel

Cheel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:55 AM

the best mc with no album ive ever heard.

yea cheel you gotta dig past one song. never understood people who can come to a conclusion on an entire artist based off one song.

i just like the fact that he rhymes about spiritual things and spreads knowledge about being a powerful human being. His metaphors are mad nice too and his beat selection isnt the same as other rappers out there. When he produces its usually just a loop but his rhymes do so much with just a loop and when he selects beats theyre more abstract. his flow is incredible as well.

im also interested to find out if he will change his delivery, beat selection, music content, since hes signed to a major label. Jay Z is also known for having told Lupe Fiasco to dumb down his music and he would sign him to the ROC but Lupe declined.

Yeah I know I'm probably doing myself a disservice. Just laziness I guess. I might check some tracks later

#14 Freeman

Freeman

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:33 AM

here's a pretty crazy conspiracy by noisey on why he hasn't released his album yet:
http://noisey.vice.c...his-debut-album

might be worth reading, if you're really amazed about him

#15 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:13 AM

hes being taught the doctrine of alister crowley he should have went independant....
  • D'MosPhree likes this

#16 Tackler

Tackler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

cheel, D'mos.. yeah i feel both of you, music speaks to people. when it speaks it speaks and when it doesnt you shouldnt force yourself to like it just because it has hype. Big ups on your opinion about Nas, i kind of feel the same.. his beat selection was what broke his career. the reason i regard him as one of the greats is because illmatic is the shit from the first track down to the last. You can play it in order and not want to skip one.. well at least me. also he never sold out his talent and dumbed down his lyrics like jay z admitted to doing.

so i guess no info on Jay Elec right? that article is pretty crazy though. really weird that he would be dating a rothschild when he is against all of that big business shit and who knows if the devil worship conspiracies are true about them.. Its funny though how the media portray rappers... Hes much more than a "dope smoking rapper" lmao
  • Cheel likes this

#17 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:03 AM

so, does anybody care anymore?
personally, for me, he milked every last drop of hype he had going for him like years ago. while i still stand by what i said above ^ , i'm also going to say that this track is....eh. i mean, the verse is good-- the singing's good, the beat's pretty good, the Wizard of Oz sample is aight, but it sounds like something that should've been released in '09 back when this sound was still relatively new. now it just sounds like a literal "Part 2" of whatever the name of the last project he released was called...i was hoping to hear something mind-boggling and damaging to my psyche. this sounds exactly like the last shit, smh lol.

i'd still cop the album though if he finally decides to release it...i gotta admit though, even i'm a little turned off by his fuckboy personality lol. the level of arrogance this guy has is really off-putting, he's like a more toned-down artsy version of Kanye. he better have some GREAT fucking explanations as to why this 16- bar verse and half of an orchestral beat sans drums or bass took him 6 years to release, because i'm not that impressed considering how long we had to wait for one track. i say boo to the piss-poor marketing tactics of Jay, and nod my head silently to his verse (cause like i said, he is a great lyricist...but he's not fucking Mozart, and i don't get how he expects people to think of him so highly when you can literally count the number of tracks he's officially released on both hands).

#18 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:20 AM

If he drops something really impressive, I will be like "dope!" But on the same side, I could care less at this point. Some track just got released today, its aight, but I gave up aftert he three minute movie sample intro.

Track:
http://potholesinmyb...latonya-givens/

#19 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:01 AM

If he drops something really impressive, I will be like "dope!" But on the same side, I could care less at this point. Some track just got released today, its aight, but I gave up aftert he three minute movie sample intro.

Track:
http://potholesinmyb...latonya-givens/

lol that's the track i have linked in my post right above yours.

#20 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:37 AM

lol that's the track i have linked in my post right above yours.

Oh yah, there was a big gap, before any text in your post, so I thought it might be some media, specifically, this track, but there was nothing there. Anyhow, I will try the track again when I have some patience.

#21 Constrobuz

Constrobuz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:06 AM

#22 Cheel

Cheel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:22 AM

cheel, D'mos.. yeah i feel both of you, music speaks to people. when it speaks it speaks and when it doesnt you shouldnt force yourself to like it just because it has hype. Big ups on your opinion about Nas, i kind of feel the same.. his beat selection was what broke his career. the reason i regard him as one of the greats is because illmatic is the shit from the first track down to the last. You can play it in order and not want to skip one.. well at least me. also he never sold out his talent and dumbed down his lyrics like jay z admitted to doing.

You guys are so right about Nas.

I just had a thought for a minute there... 'What if Nas picked dope beats his whole career?'

Now I have to clean up my pants a little bit

#23 Flip Chillson

Flip Chillson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

the new song is meh.
where's the bass?
where's the drums?
meh.
  • mangoes cash likes this

#24 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

Have we discussed the new song with Jigga?
J Elec's verse is meh.

I am sensing a J Elec backlash, as in, most heads could really give a fuck at this point.

#25 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

He's the only major label artist that I can think of who's been signed as long as he has without releasing more than a few official tracks, much less an EP or LP. In terms of provisions, his arrangement with Roc Nation has to be one of the most unique in music history.

To the critics who dwell on the lack of music and go as far as to call it arrogance on Jay's part - - I respectfully disagree. I'd rather he pace himself at this rate with what I've found to be really empowering, introspective, and refreshing music than to saturate the market with a barrage of empty features and records which is what characterizes the majority of major label artists in Hip-Hop today. I would say that with a minimal catalog and no album to account for, Jay Electronica has done more the culture of Hip-Hop than many of the artists that our society venerates.

#26 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:33 AM

The New Royales just realesed a buttery track ft Jay.
Minutes Of Moog.
http://cms.springboa...eo/908511/0/0/1
  • Chason and bza wan kenobi like this

#27 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

http://pitchfork.com...endrick-lamars/

lol @ him ranking his own/Big Sean's verse better

#28 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

I would say that with a minimal catalog and no album to account for, Jay Electronica has done more the culture of Hip-Hop than many of the artists that our society venerates.

My man, you argue like a true politician and conservative. You're basically saying that Jay Electronica is a positive force for the culture of hip-hop by not releasing as little as possible. In other words, the best thing he can do for hip-hop is release nothing.

#29 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:26 AM

My man, you argue like a true politician and conservative. You're basically saying that Jay Electronica is a positive force for the culture of hip-hop by not releasing as little as possible. In other words, the best thing he can do for hip-hop is release nothing.

Not so much. I believe he's stimulated and incited more substantive thought within more minds with a minimal catalogue relative to many of his vocalist contemporaries who've done very little more than lull their adherents to sleep with debilitating, redundant, and formulaic records. As big of a proponent of his as I've been, I will admit that I've started to question some of his antics, or lack thereof.

#30 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:46 AM

Mere speculation, but here's what I think. Many years ago Jay Electronica said in an interview (skip to the 8:19 mark) he wanted to release his album on his birthday, the 19th of September. In 2014 we've seen a more animate, outspoken, and active Jay Electronica; he's done some scattered performances, interviews, and, by his standards, he's released a sizable amount of music. If there ever was a time to release his highly anticipated debut album it would be this year. I expect Roc Nation to release the album fourth quarter this year with no release date, a growing trend in music today. I won't, nor do I encourage anyone else to, be holding my breath for this or any proposed release dates but I do believe the album is coming this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users