Madlib releasing some badass stuff this year

Yes, but no "jazz" in a min!

#32 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,342 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:39 PM

Kind of surprised I just stumbled across this. New beat is fucking dope.

• GC90 likes this

#33 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:33 AM

Mibbs should've been the name they went with for the FG/M collab.

#34 Freshman_Woes

Freshman_Woes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop. Beer. In that order.

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:02 PM

So glad this is finally being released. I hope they do another tour.

#35 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:27 AM

cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

#36 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:13 PM

• OfficeTime8889 likes this

#37 Freshman_Woes

Freshman_Woes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:04 PM

Who's listened & what do you think? I love it. Everything I thought it would be.

#38 GC90

GC90

Plibt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:15 PM

Gave it a listen today, it's excellent. While I don't think it's as great as Pinata, def happy to get another solid Madlib record this year. The MED/Blu combo is nice, I hope they'll keep doing stuff together. Good features too.

#39 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:17 PM

shit is too ill man!!!! damn good job

#40 GC90

GC90

Plibt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:18 PM

Serving, Drive In, Mad Neighbor, Belly Full my favorite beats so far

#41 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:18 AM

Gave it a listen today, it's excellent. While I don't think it's as great as Pinata, def happy to get another solid Madlib record this year. The MED/Blu combo is nice, I hope they'll keep doing stuff together. Good features too.

Agreed. Like Piñata, I dig the way Madlib includes little interludes/instrumental skits at the end of just about every track.

Another thought I had is that Blu's work seems a lot more polished nowadays, at least on this record. Maybe he's grown up or matured, whatever, but I really liked his early raw, almost freestyle off-the-dome stuff over lo-fi production.

• GC90 likes this

#42 GC90

GC90

Plibt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:06 PM

Another thought I had is that Blu's work seems a lot more polished nowadays, at least on this record. Maybe he's grown up or matured, whatever, but I really liked his early raw, almost freestyle off-the-dome stuff over lo-fi production.

Have you checked out Good To Be Home? While I wouldn't say freestyle/off-the-dome the production itself did have quite a lofi vibe to it (I heard someone say they thought the producer was trying to do a Madlib impression). Really enjoyed that record though, best one since BTH.

L99BtPZ.jpg

#43 jbuzz

jbuzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:15 PM

I love the beats on this, and I thought the rhymes were tight too. But I really wish they'd mix it all better. Same as with GTBH, I feel like the overall texture is just off even though I love all the individual parts which make it up.

• GC90 likes this

#44 GC90

GC90

Plibt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:33 PM

I love the beats on this, and I thought the rhymes were tight too. But I really wish they'd mix it all better. Same as with GTBH, I feel like the overall texture is just off even though I love all the individual parts which make it up.

It's funny you mention that, The Needle Drop review for the record was pretty harsh with the mix as the main complaint.

Not a four at all imo (I'd prob give it a 7) but I think the mix is a legit complaint anyway. I'm still digging it though

#45 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/1stn3rd

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:14 PM

There haven't been any well-mixed underground rap records in years. It's something I can't understand, aside from budget issues. You can play Vaudeville Villain at max volume and it sounds pristine. That was in 2003 and it's not like they had a massive budget. It's due to the profusion of bedroom recording, haphazard recording techniques, and (let's face it), too much getting stoned and fucking around with the mix. Folks need to retire or something...

• DJ Primate and jbuzz like this

#46 jbuzz

jbuzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:22 PM

It's funny you mention that, The Needle Drop review for the record was pretty harsh with the mix as the main complaint.

Not a four at all imo (I'd prob give it a 7) but I think the mix is a legit complaint anyway. I'm still digging it though

Yeah Fantano lost sight of how good the music was despite the mixing in that review. He kept equating the quality of the instrumentals to the quality of the mix, I reckon it's a 7 as well. He still has a point though, despite the fact that at one point he called the production "awful". To me, Good to be Home was also a solid 7/10, but there were some crazy instrumentals and bars on that project. If they had been audible it would've been a great album. So frustrating!

#47 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:07 PM

Needle Drop's review is totally on point.  I've seen a couple reviews for this record which tell it like it is, yet don't fault Madlib for a second.  I agree with that.  

The biggest disappointment to me about the album is that we have Madlib & Doom working together again, and it's such a throwaway track.  If we had just one classic track on the album, the rest would be excusable.  

#48 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:06 AM

Despite 3/15 tracks being previously released w/ matching instrumental versions, I wouldn't mind seeing a full-length instrumental version of Bad Neighbors.  As previously mentioned, given how similar the Bad Neighbors rollout has been to ​Piñata, an instrumental only release is to be expected.  For those of you who bought either of the previous two EPs, get ready to feel as abandoned as I did when House Shoes made Let It Go available for free download within a year of releasing it commercially.  

#49 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:24 AM

testing the waters I see…

• SwampThing likes this

#50 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 04:32 PM

helll yeah.

#51 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:23 PM

he biggest disappointment to me about the album is that we have Madlib & Doom working together again, and it's such a throwaway track.  If we had just one classic track on the album, the rest would be excusable.  

"Knock Knock" reminds me an awful low of "Papermill," the Adult Swim single.  I wonder if they were made in the same frame, one after the other.  What do you think?  

“PAPERMILL” IS THE FIRST RELEASE FROM THE NEW MADVILLAIN ALBUM WHICH DOOM & MADLIB BEGAN RECORDING IN 2009. THE ALBUM IS CURRENTLY A WORK-IN-PROGRESS AND WILL BE RELEASED ON STONES THROW RECORDS.

If "Papermill" is in fact MV2's first single, we're looking at the longest album rollout in history.  

#52 ST Bot

ST Bot

STMB Official

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:54 AM

If "Papermill" is in fact MV2's first single, we're looking at the longest album rollout in history.  

Penciled in:

2016: Papermill video

2018: second single

2022: album, hologram tour

• DJ Primate, CertafiedBluntHead, Mr Teeth and 6 others like this

#53 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:56 PM

I feel like, similar to Dr. Dre and the gap he had in between albums, there's reluctance to release a follow-up because of fear that it may not fully honor the Madvillainy legacy.  Same thing with Jay Electronica.  He's got music.  There's been a number of Madvillain / Dr. Dre (before Compton), and Jay Electronica singles but no "album."  I remember reading something where PBW said he's got 8-10 unreleased MV tracks.  Makes me wonder if the album has been "done," but gone through multiple incarnations.  Not trying to rush the process.  I totally respect it.  This is just a thought. 

#54 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:47 PM

I think this is a great album, dude is buggin'!... with the exception of "The Stroll".. Not really feelin' that beat. Don't get it. Blu is phenomenal on this LP. So many different styles and he killed it on "Birds" which is my favorite track on this album.. "MOVE EM OUT, MOVE EM OUT"!! "Knock, Knock" is really dope to me. They all 3 kill it! The mix doesn't bother me one bit. Thats part of Madlib's delivery and what makes him so dope. Hes the "Raw Addict". This shit is not going to be mixed like a Jay Z album. It shouldn't be and I think they put it out exactly the way they wanted it to sound. Fantano didn't even give this album a chance. I "put it on repeat with the iPod"... Straight up, since it dropped.

#55 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:24 AM

good post I agree, I didn't like knock knock but I dig the stroll (so we differ there), the mix doesn't bother me at all either but I understand the complaints because when im driving sometimes the voices are drowned out but it could be worse!, madlib is the modern day thelonious monk!!!!!! I don't think he cares.. he just does it and moves to the next project once he feels it! I hear they made 30 tracks I would have loved if they used the best of those to replace Kock knock lol I cant stand that track. Im sure we will hear some of the unreleased tracks one day!!! Birds for some reason is my fav as well I jam it daily!! I remember looping the intro off one of libs mixes a few years back. At the end of the day its just 2 dudes freestyling over dope beats and getting high with some friends, that's the feel I get from this.... just like jazz players put out jam sessions.. this is just a jam session and nothing to be taken too serious technically! JUST PURE RAW TALENT!!!!!!!

#56 felixherandez

felixherandez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:10 AM

the mix doesn't bother me at all either but I understand the complaints because when im driving sometimes the voices are drowned out but it could be worse!, 

I feel this

• gEEchieDan likes this

#57 bamajoe

bamajoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:28 PM

Don't know it's alread been mentioned, but MED said the instrumentals are coming. On vinyl.

45:24

Oh No and Romes have also been guests on the Southern Vangard Radio interview sessions in the last 2-3 weeks.

• Howie__1 likes this

#58 Freshman_Woes

Freshman_Woes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:41 PM

13466041_1176048435773191_17643568237237

MED is throwing a party in the 805 this weekend. Free entry, Battlecat DJing & surprise guests. 

• gEEchieDan and Howie__1 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users