10 replies to this topic

#1 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

What is up with artists referring to their songs as "records" lately? I've been noticing a lot of newer acts doing this on FB and elsewhere, like, "check out our brand new record 'blah blah blah' on Soundcloud, full version available for sale 'blah blah blah.'" And I indeed think they're talking about an EP or LP. Am I missing something?

#2 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

Also, I realize this might be a throwback to when songs would constantly be released as singles on 45's. I'm not lost there, just an odd trend to be going on contemporarily.

#3 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

Recording = Record

So yes a recorded song is a record despite being a digital format such as mp3 or magnetic tape or vinyl.

#4 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

Recording = Record

So yes a recorded song is a record despite being a digital format such as mp3 or magnetic tape or vinyl.

Yeah. That's understandable, just kinda strange how it's becoming the trend to refer to it as such in the last few months.

#5 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

I think I always referred to it as a record. But, I am older.

#6 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

yeah they been saying that since the twenties and shit son
  • gEEchieDan and James Frank. like this

#7 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

I have no clue where you got the idea that it's a recent trend, I've always referred to singles/songs/albums/etc as "records"

#8 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

I guess because I've rarely been to a show or anything where the artist has said "This is my new record" before performing a new song. Nor have I seen it in a lot of advertising, etc. Albums, yeah, but not really songs. My bad, I guess.

#9 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:38 PM

it gets confusing because i also refer to vinyl LP's as "records"...so it's almost like you gotta specify whether you're talking about one or the other.

#10 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

So annoying

#11 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:03 AM

It's like the Fuck word, it can be funny, it can release stress, it can be a comical insult or used as a proper insult, When I see artists live they usually say "check my new shit", or I got some old stuff and new stuff. Or here's a new joint, a classic joint etc. Unfortunately in this day and age people speak with out thinking if they are using the proper word for what needs to be said, In my eyes a Record is a physical object that is round and made out of vinyl, to make that you have to record something, so it's no ones fault just the natural evolution of words, but we have one word meaning 2 things. Take the word Unlockable, it means you can unlock it, it also means you can't unlock it, on that alone, how hard is it to actually communicate, when there is also literal and figurative. Fuck is a shortened term for, either For Us Country & King,
or Fornication Under Consent of the King, fornication now means FUCK!! there are word trends, that is for sure, look how Hiphop takes language, and puts it's own thing on it, we know what we're saying, but people get confused when they hear it as they are not initiated into it. I find it really frustrating myself, when people use words and change the meaning from the origin. We must naturally hear words and think there is better ways to put it over, we wouldn't have so many languages otherwise, problem is now it's gone all 1984 shortspeak with LOL, STFU, etc. One word one meaning really helps, but we're to silly as a race to see that, so then use the word record to announce the new release of your MP3. Song or Tune would do. Record also means writing information down ha ha!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users