15 replies to this topic

#1 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

Any of you nerds know how to set up a Wi Fi Network for your Apple Airport Express? My internet service provider went down on Friday and I hit the reboot button on my Airport express deleting my network. Anyhow, Apple will gladly help me for 60 bucks. So, I figure if anyone here knows how I would appreciate some help. Maybe I send you 10 bucks???

Google is not helping me.

#2 MellowYouth

MellowYouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

i work for the apple

my first question on that call would be; have you called your service provider and does everything check out on their end?
do you have a DSL or standard cable modem?

you're gonna want to open up airport utility on your mac/pc and see if you have a red or green light for the globe and for your current connection.

i would also reccomend to power cycle both the actual modem box and the airport express (still dont know what version of express/utility youre running).

if those don't work you need to unplug the express from the wall, and do a factory reset. hold the reset button on the back with a paper clip while you plug the airport express back into the wall and wait until you see the light tstart to blink rapidly (shouldn't be more than 15 seconds total) and then go thru airport utility and set up as a new connection. this is where the DSL or standard cable modem would be important as you need to enter your DSL account/password in the utility setup screen. it will walk you thru the rest of the setup.

does it work with the cable attached but just not the wifi?
then try this,

if youre on a mac, open network pref, click advanced, and remove your old preferred network, then re-add.

if that doesnt work, i got some more troubleshooting for ya

#3 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

I love the apple.
I love that you work for the apple.

You:
my first question on that call would be; have you called your service provider and does everything check out on their end?
Me:
Do you mean, do I have service? Do I have a PPPoE? If so, yes, yes and yes. If I skip Airport and WiFi I can plug right into the computer iMac, and have internet via ethernet.

You:
do you have a DSL or standard cable modem?
Me:
I am unsure. My modem is a "SpeedTouch". It has a DSL light. :?
Posted Image

You:
you're gonna want to open up airport utility on your mac/pc and see if you have a red or green light for the globe and for your current connection.
Me:
My current set up has an green light for the Globe and a flashing orange for the AirPort.

You:
i would also recommend to power cycle both the actual modem box and the airport express (still don't know what version of express/utility you're running).
Me:
I have done that. I have unplugged and plugged back in, both the modem and the AirPort box. My version of AirPort is 7.6.4. I am unsure which Utility I have. I am running OSX 10.7.5

You:
if those don't work you need to unplug the express from the wall, hold the reset button on the back with a paper clip for 15 whole seconds (one mississippi, two mississippi,...) and then go thru airport utility and set up as a new connection. this is where the DSL or standard cable modem would be important as you need to enter your DSL account/password in the utility setup screen. it will walk you thru the rest of the setup.
Me: I just did that. However, now, I see no Airport Icon on the AirPort Utilities page. Just the globe. : It says " No configured AirPort stations have been found. AirPort Utility will continue searching.".... that being said, I just attempted to create a new network, however this says "Create a Computer to Computer Network" So I am skipping that for now.

You:
does it work with the cable attached but just not the wifi?
Me:
Yes.

You:
if youre on a mac, open network pref, click advanced, and remove your old preferred network, then re-add.
Me:
I just did that, however, I have a question now, It asks me for a "Channel" and a "Security" type. I am unsure which to choose. THis is a single computer with a few wifi devices, iPad etc.

I thank you Based God!
PLease help me!!!!!

#4 MellowYouth

MellowYouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

it looks like you do have a DSL,
open airport utility and click edit next to the express

Posted Image

click on the network tab and put in "bridge mode"

Posted Image

if that doesnt work, we will need you username password for the DSL connection (ISP will know this)

#5 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

Like I say, I have no AirPort icon in the Airport Utilities now. I deleted all my Networks in Networks, WiFi. I also rebooted the Airport Device.

::?

#6 MellowYouth

MellowYouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:57 PM

bah, i know how frustrating this ish can be. DSL connections are tricky

i would do the factory reset (i originally wrote the reset for a linksys, not sure why...)
so, unplug the power cord of the airport express, hold the reset button on back of airport, then while holding the reset button plug the power back in and continue to hold the reset button until you see a rapidly flashing light (shouldn't be more than 15 seconds)

then open airport utility back up and walk thru the setup. if it asks, you do want bridge mode.
if it still has a yellow light in airport utility after that, enter your DSL username/password and that should get you back on wifi

#7 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

Ok,
So I did that, and restarted the computer, as the Airport was not showing. Upon restart, a pop up window has appeared. It says "This AirPort Express will create a network". In then asks me my Network Name, Base Station Name, Password and Verify.

Unsure.

#8 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

DSL = two-step authentication. Layer-2 first, and then the traditional "user name/password". Check to see if your "DSL" light is steady. If it is, and your "internet" or "WAN" light is off or red, call your ISP and tell them to walk you through checking if your DSL user name/password are good. DO NOT HIT THE RESET BUTTON BECAUSE IT RESETS YOUR MODEM.

Cable Modem = check to see if you Rx/Tx are both solid (if you're using either a Cisco, Motorola, or Toshiba cable modem). If they are, and your "internet" or "WAN" light are not on, call your service provider.

If your "WAN" or "Internet" light are both on and you're still stranded, Apple Airport is essentially an access point that needs an IP address from a router. If you can't surf, log into the access point to see if it's pulling an IP address from your cable/DSL modem.

I work for a telecommunications company. Lemme know if you have any questions, fam.

#9 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:00 PM

Ok, so @Mellow, I just entered the default info into the what it was previously asking on my last post. ("This AirPort Express will create a network". In then asks me my Network Name, Base Station Name, Password and Verify.)
I did that, it created the network, but I am back to where I was.

I have the green global light and flashing orange Airport. The status of the airport is orange for "No DNS Server", Ethernet Unplugged (it has to be for me to be online at the moment), and PPPoE Password. All of these show orange.
Posted Image

#10 MellowYouth

MellowYouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

good, so we know the internet is just fine as youve been able to connect with the ethernet cord. its when we introduce the airport express that the trouble starts.

i would try to put into bridge mode with airport utility.
in airport utility, click on your express and then click edit,

Posted Image

click on the network tab and put in "bridge mode"

Posted Image

if that doesnt work, well need your username password for the DSL connection
(ISP will know this; sometimes user/pass is your ISP email address and password, sometimes not)

#11 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:55 AM

Hey man,
I just opened up the Edit, Network page in Airport Utiliites and the drop down of the router mode is all greyed out. I can make no selections.

:???
Posted Image

#12 MellowYouth

MellowYouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

oh ok,
so it looks like that speedtouch is a router

call your ISP and make sure the user/pass is correct and have them enable "bridge mode" on the speedtouch.
or if you feel comfortable doing it go into your router settings and change this.
then, factory reset the airport express and walk thru the default settings it gives

#13 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

Cheers Bro,
Will look into.

Peace!

#14 Goodz047

Goodz047

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Wax

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

Props to MellowYouth ! Droppin knowledge on teh apples.

#15 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

So I got it back up.
Now I can go back to my regular life.

Thank you Based God!!!
Posted Image

#16 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:22 AM

Hi @MellowYouth,
Is there a way I can contact you? Your profile does not take PM's. I have a question about the inner workings of Apple I would like to ask, that you might be able to help with.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users