#1 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

Trying to decide if I'm Stone Throw material enough to join the roster... What you guys think? Should I make a go at it?

#2 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:59 AM

YES! you have been involved in heaps of cool stuff. allways have big announcements and stuff. you have a wikipedia page, website etc...

#3 GC90

GC90

waxramble / Discogs / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:10 AM

Make a go at it? Would be cool to see a local WA person on ST though

Derp, suppose James Pants was living up here in Spokane for awhile too. More WA on ST is cool I mean lol

Edited by GC90, 16 October 2013 - 01:13 AM.

#4 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:14 AM

sure, why not?

#5 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:01 AM

I see you as a better fit on Mello Music Group.
  • GC90 likes this

#6 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:49 AM

talk to declaime and georgia anne first.... but GO for it...

#7 DJ Sapien

DJ Sapien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:The beautiful things in life.
  • Soundcloud:soundcloud.com/djsapien

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

Not going for Cash Money? :lol:
  • mangoes cash likes this

#8 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

#9 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:01 AM

Make a go at it? Would be cool to see a local WA person on ST though

Derp, suppose James Pants was living up here in Spokane for awhile too. More WA on ST is cool I mean lol

I dig what you're saying and all, but I ain't trying to represent Seattle... These cats out here ain't trying to show me no love, so I'm representing my native Brooklyn. I love Seattle, I do...but the local hip hop scene has a very bad attitude if you ask me.

I see you as a better fit on Mello Music Group.

I like that label too, Gensu Dean is one of my absolute favorites!

Hell damn no!!!! They are the absolute worst. They're the reason music sucks so bad today. Fuck no!

#10 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:37 AM

Your sound is pretty hard and I appreciate it. Not that I am not a fan of ST Throw, but, your stuff is hard in a crisper way. My heart is true in saying this. Unless the alternatives prove uneventful or perhaps mildly unnerving, perhaps you should look elsewhere. Nothing wrong with joining Stones Throw but I am getting a whole different vibe from you. Sounds like Seattle is not your thing (Its hard to imagine why, I had considered moving that way long ago to a proper studio when it was in its infancy to record--maybe I would have had a similar opinion--thought admittedly, I am nowhere near your level-technically). I think I may have a feeling about a decent alternative if you are open to suggestion...

I have nothing against the city of Seattle itself and I have been shown love by a few cats here, but the gatekeepers here are mad fugaizi and I'm no ass kisser, so the way I see it, I'll continue what I've been doing without their support. I'm planning on relocating to Vancouver, BC in a year or two anyway. Seattle and America will just become a faded memory to me as I pursue Canadian citizenship.

I think I'd make a nice edition to Stones Throw and I love the fact that I don't sound like anyone else on their roster. Why would I want to sound like everyone else? Of course its a dope lineup, but I don't want to be like any of those guys to be among them. I want to be me and only me.

#11 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:11 AM

I get what you are saying with regard to your experiences and future desires.

All cool and delightful. But, I think that is why you are special. I am not going to argue against it, I will say that I once thought ST was the be all end all, but, I think there is more out there given what you provide. Your sound may stick out on ST, but it may also get lost in the shuffle and why deal with fanboys... The less contact you have with some of these lesser acts the better. Like I said your sound is crisp--not some hodge podge of--well, Ill leave that to one's interpretation. I feel like you could do better--basing this only on your last recordings. There is a bit of care taken there...I feel uncomfortable going into it further...but, another somewhere in the hemisphere comes to mind.

I take all serious suggestions like yours into consideration. I'm curious what quality indie label do you think would make a good fit for my sound?

#12 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:15 AM

Its late here, I have to dip. Not to leave you hanging, but is it cool if I reach you via another forum, say tomorrow when I wake?

I'd like to examine the lesser details of your online following before I make the suggestion. Also, I'd hate for you to be unhappy with my suggestion.

sounds good. If need be, hit me at my Facebook. It's safe there.

#13 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:16 AM

Cool.

#14 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:45 AM

oh yeah just get signed to def jam son. just get that roc-a-fela deal son!

#15 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:46 AM

oh yeah just get signed to def jam son. just get that roc-a-fela deal son!

Hell God Damn No!!!!
  • gEEchieDan likes this

#16 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

I dig what you're saying and all, but I ain't trying to represent Seattle... These cats out here ain't trying to show me no love, so I'm representing my native Brooklyn. I love Seattle, I do...but the local hip hop scene has a very bad attitude if you ask me.

I feel you, not much of a hip hop community out here at all (record shops here are a bummer because of this too <_<). Just figure it's cool you're living around these parts. WA STMB user Dawhud does some good stuff and has some cool associations, worth checking his stuff out.

#17 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

Posted Image

That's me, Dawhud and DJ MadMax Wallace...

I'm cool with quite a few folks here in the NW....the Seattle Gatekeepers (Radio, Local Cable Hosts, Bloggers and Jounalists) are a totally different deal tho'.

Despite the fact that since I've moved here 6 years ago that I've had two #1's and eight Top 10 singles on the college radio charts, been featured on numerous blogs and now we're cracking both the Asian and European markets with my records.... the Seattle Gatekeepers refuse to show me any love...To them... I'm that "Outsider" or "that dude from "Brooklyn".

I'm not hating on them, but I am frustrated by their nonchalant or negative attitude toward me and my work.

If my album #REALHIPHOP which is being released by IK Multimedia February 7, 2014 ends up getting national media attention and then the Seattle Gatekeepers begin claiming me...I'm gonna make it very clear I'm actually an "outsider from Brooklyn" and I'm seeking legal residence in Canada. I'm not going to publicly claim a scene that's been kinda cold towards me like I did them something wrong...

Since I've announced my plans to move to Vancouver, I've already been invited to be interviewed by a few DJs and bloggers and been shown quite a bit of love by the music community there with absolutely no funny styled side eye bullshit politics involved. That kinda genuine love and respect got a cat like me feeling very positive about moving forward with my plans to relocate to Canada.

The Gatekeeperism in Seattle, makes me wonder how many other dope artists and producers in the city are being held back or just plain gave up because of it? Some cold cats with way too much power in this city yo!

#18 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

Weird, don't think I understand why they see you as "outsider". Good luck in Vancouver!

#19 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:58 PM

Weird, don't think I understand why they see you as "outsider". Good luck in Vancouver!

Thanks Man....I really can't wait to move there. The abundance of vinyl, the warmth of the music scene and the local sights there are just beautiful and exciting.

#20 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

Yeah it sounds awesome up there, if I could find work and become citizen and stuff I'd probably head that way myself lol
  • DJ Pete Marriott likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users