112 replies to this topic

#1 Speekless

Speekless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://www.soundcloud.com/speekless

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

Dear beat-making brothers and sisters, let me take the time to vent out a bit and explain my reaction on the voting thread.

(I wasn't sure where to post this thread, as it's obviously beat-battle related. Mods, feel free to move it.)

In case you hadn't noticed, this week JonWayne and Stones Throw posted on their FB/blog about the beat battles, which is why all of a sudden we got 150 entries up in this b*tch (http://www.facebook....151597211395946)

An sich, I can only applaud the fact that Stones Throw/JonWayne mentioned the BB's, it's great publicity, and we have all seen the results here on this forum… However… Did any of you guys hear/see JonWayne's entry last week? I didn't.

All the publicity is great and all, but this stuff just doesn't exactly sit right with me, it feels very double-edged. Captaincookie didn't vote, most likely didn't take the time to listen to all the entries, didn't post it to the group on Soundcloud, nor did he say one word about it on the forum, as far as I can tell.

And one of the main problems we have with these battles is that out of 100 entries, barely half the ppl who take part actually listen to the tracks, let alone cast out a vote. I honestly can't understand, nor can I have any respect, for someone who submits his beat and expects his shit to be heard, commented on, and voted for by everybody - while not taking the time to do so himself. Unless you're on a yoga camp for the weekend and have the politeness to say so on the forum, I can only assume you're basically a self-centered MF, whether your name is JonWayne or SomethingElse. Granted, JW didn't actually have us listen to his beat either.. but you catch my drift...

The other big problem for me is that I feel like the overall level for these beat battles has been steadily declining for the last year since I first joined. It's gotten weaker. This week was a new low for me, with about 50 beats sounding exactly the same, with the same damn loops and chops all over, with slightly different drums on top. And to be honest, half of these beats are barely even listenable. If there's people here who think that "everything was fire", I suggest you maybe get your ears checked. Also, you might wanna check out some of the previous battle's winners over the years.

As I remember it, there used to be a higher quality standard here. My first battles, I didn't even submit, because I felt I had to catch up with the overall level of the group, I just listened to the beats for a few weeks. After that, I did a flip almost every single week, but didn't submit it whenever I felt stuff was too weak. My beats might still be far from the best, but at least I pride myself in knowing that I try to bring something personal and unique to the table, that I try to push the envelope for myself, and that it might inspire others. Those of you who I've been battling with for the last year know this, and it would be nice to see some more peeps here with the same mentality. Speaking for myself, I'm here to actually learn something, and measure myself against the dudes who got fire in their fingers.

Where all the winners from the previous battles at? and all the serious cats that were battling here a year ago? From last year's group, I see only Ras Dude, enzoeyeris, Tepaphone & MatMel here.. (sorry if I'm missing anybody). When I heard dudes like SFT, Robot, Ja:Kova, Kommerzklaus, Sapien, just to name a few, now those are fellow beatmakers I could look up to, scratch my head over their beats and feel like I'm really getting something out of this. Thank god some of these guys still show up from time to time, but I think it won't last for long if things keep going the way they do. Most of last year's guys are out now, and probly for a good reason. Today's winners will also drop out at some point.

A 100 extra participants is cool, but what we NEED first and foremost, is just a few cats who can bring FIRE and truly raise the bar, so we can all get inspired and motivated to do better, and have some real battle shit going on here! I'd like some more dudes to show up that can easily challenge a SFT or a Robot Orchestra. That's the problem, and maybe it would help motivate the best beatmakers amongst us to keep taking part?! Like I've said, no disrespect to the newcomers, those who actually brought something to the table know who they are, and by all means should keep going for it, and raise the bar, and become the next winners - but in general i think it's safe to say that the level hasn't been stellar lately, and that we would benefit more from QUALITY than we do from QUANTITY right now.

Maybe if JonWayne had participated for real and brought fire (as I'm sure he can), instead of knocking this "microwave beat" like he did last week, it would have been a much more positive thing for us as a group. Or share it with a few of his heavy-hitting beatmaking friends rather than posting about it on his FB without taking part himself. That would actually help to uplift this community.

Just to make things clear: I don't mean to blame neither JonWayne, nor Stones Throw, nor all the newcomers who joined in this week. It's a good thing that these battles got some publicity and it's only our responsibility that the bar gets pushed. I'm just saying, it is quite frustrating to see so much newbies coming in to post the same beat, at a moment where what we really needed, is simply a bunch of extra heavy-hitters and creativity in here. It doesn't exactly motivate me to take part.

For a start, maybe it would be a good idea to ban anybody who posts but doesn't vote (unless you have a good reason). That would filter out half of the whack beats already + all the people who do not give a shit about the community. I'd rather do this with 30 cats who are truly motivated to get the best out of themselves and turn this into a real battle, than 147 where I need to skip over half of the beats because they're barely listenable. The worst thing is one of em might end up winning because some dudes simply don't have the maturity in their ears to understand the level of mastery and complexity that goes behind some of the best work.

I cringe at some of the votes casted here sometimes... Granted, we all have different taste and different elements we dig or pay attention to, but there's still a certain standard of quality that I think should be upheld! To me it's fucked up that a one-minute beat that loops from beginning to end, could end up winning from the most insanely dope and complex 3-minute arrangement that some dude put a lot of effort and passion into. Open your ears, and do something creative! The big guys like JonWayne should be the first ones leading the way in this instead of posting beats made in 20 minutes. If you can make a banger in 20minutes, great, but most of the time we just end up with 30 more lazy flips. Come on guys, challenge yourselves a bit or something! Make this a battle!

You don't have to agree with me and I don't want to stir up shit (although I would love to give some of you a good kick in the butt to get moving). All I'm trying to say is this hasn't been my vibe lately on these forums, and I can imagine how a bunch of regulars would feel the same way about it.

Maybe I should just be happy that these battles exist in the first place, but I'm seeing the potential of what could be a much better beat battle, and we're going the opposite direction - so I speek up about it.

So far for my rant. Peace.
  • HUNGRYMAN, Mister Ugly and DoomRustler like this

#2 MellowYouth

MellowYouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

in before the mod :)

--------------------

i understand where youre coming from with the votes. i wish there was a more strict code for that. like you have to vote if you made a beat, if not you are disqualified . that actually was a rule for a short while and shatterhands (one of my favorite producers here) lost because he didnt vote and had to give the win to the person with the next most votes

i also remember when mr dibiase came thru and actually DID participate/comment/vote. that was an epic week and produced one of my favorite winning beats ever

that was STBB294 and was the round dibiase entered. dibiase was a cool dude and had thousands of comments on his track, couldve pulled some "vote for me" but Didnt. and he didnt win but still participated. he knows beat battles and is an amazing producer

--------------------------

i feel you on the quality over quantity

i also agree that, not everyones, but my beats in particular have taken a dive lately. i just dont have those countless hours to stay up all night cooking up something really interesting. more and more im stuck with a couple hours of work and having to call it 'complete' :/

i really enjoy these battles though and hold alot of you in high regard. i learn so much from just listening to everyones music
  • Olos88, nathanAlexander, Speekless and 1 other like this

#3 HUNGRYMAN

HUNGRYMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/hungrym4n

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

I feel you. I didn't enter this week, but showed up to vote. It's the first time I didn't comment on the majority of the battle. I've been getting kinda burnt out on these also. I'd have to agree there was a ton of similiar tracks, I'd like to think that's just because of the large influx. I don't hate because I know new beatmakers may just need something like this to compare their work to. I imagine next week will be entirely different story, but you never know.

For a start, maybe it would be a good idea to ban anybody who posts but doesn't vote (unless you have a good reason). That would filter out half of the whack beats already + all the people who do not give a shit about the community. I'd rather do this with 30 cats who are truly motivated to get the best out of themselves and turn this into a real battle, than 147 where I need to skip over half of the beats because they're barely listenable. The worst thing is one of em might end up winning because some dudes simply don't have the maturity in their ears to understand the level of mastery and complexity that goes behind some of the best work.

Yeah, I don't know if banning someone once for entering and not voting is a good idea. You just never know what people have going, they could be all the sudden burying family that week or something. But this is a valid point and a problem. I've been doing these since #312 and have seen a lot of the hard-hitters not even coming back in to vote, multiple times. Which kinda drives me crazy when they pull votes, but half ass participate. I guess they may be burnt out also.

I guess you can't ask for too much, since this thing isn't official, but if it was it would likely include a entry fee and a prize. lmao

I'm with you on this thing could be better. All I know is that since this is community driven, it's gonna take the community to stand up and make an effort to change things. I think it's good your voiced your concerns. I like that attitude more than the "shut up and make a beat, don't post anything unrelated to voting and entries" attitude that comes out sometimes. So, it might take someone to stand up and confront these issues on a regular basis. Like taking the time to compile a list of people that didn't vote but entered and throwing it up on the thread. Or some actual real unbiased constructive criticism.

P.S. The Bot will probably axe this thread. Should have put it up somewhere else.
  • Speekless likes this

#4 Maccathmhaoil

Maccathmhaoil

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/maccathmhaoil

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

While I'm sure this rant isn't aimed directly at me, I think a lot of these criticisms apply. I'll respond for the sake of shedding some motivations on my part. I've followed the beat battles for a while and been downloading the samples and trying to flip them without being a member for some time. I'll say straight up that I saw the Jonwayne post and thought 'fuck it, now or never otherwise I won't get round to doing it'. My beat was hastily made and by my own admission I'd say it's pretty far from good. I was thinking about it more realistically as a trial run to see how the process worked and see what the feedback etc. was like and people have been generally cool about it. I was more aiming to submit low and end up in the middle than submit as a contender for winner and come out on top. Had I realized there was 150 submissions for this and that it's a bit of an issue, i'd have held off from submission and waited it out. On to the next point, I haven't voted yet because sound cloud is completely fucking up on me. I can't see my own track in the widget screen, I'm getting about 30 seconds of audio from tracks on the beat battle page and the majority of posts aren't loading for me at all. I've heard some cool shit from what I've heard but I think it would be unfair to cast a vote based on 4 tracks I've heard 30 seconds of that have been submitted in the last 3-4 days, so I thought I'd hold off. For this reason too, I've no idea how similar/ dissimilar my beat is compared to others... Anyways, just thought I'd throw my thoughts out there to show it's not always bullshit intentions in submission and no voting.
  • HUNGRYMAN likes this

#5 Mister Ugly

Mister Ugly

Rookie

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Dusty records
    Candy
    Coffee
    Tastykakes
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/MisterUgly

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

Hey I totally agree, as a "newbie" on here, I was introduced to the battles via that FB post. I have been a fan, listener of Stones throw since day one especially the founding artists- before it's inception, so I was hyped when I heard about this. I can see why everyone is bummed that there we're a 100+ more entries this week, A. making it impossible to fish out the quality tracks and, B. flooding the soundcloud stream/page with mediocre tracks. I myself am guilty of a mediocre beat, but one of the challenges I face, is never actually completing tracks. I have been trying to follow through with making tracks and is a main reason I submitted what I did-AND VERY PROUD OF IT REGARDLESS. Following through is a big obstacle for me with making music.

But a thing that also bothered me, more then 2/3 of the people who submitted a track did not vote-now that's straight up garbage. Speekless is 100% right about that, but some of us just do this for fun. I totally agree too with "raising the bar" but not all of us are trying to be the next Clams and heavy into distortion with that ambient trap vibe. I wish I could get my production up to that level, but you need to keep practicing, build, follow through and complete something to get better. I hope to get better from this and learn and have fun. And I'm not on that tip where I more less think your comment is directed at me but just a bit of clarification from a "newbie" who made a beat, LISTENED TO THEM ALL and voted. I really liked about 20 of them, and that included the tracks by Ras Dude, Enzoeyeris, Tepaphone and many more. I just liked Absoluutes flip-just my style and taste.

I plan on being here and getting better from all this, and again enjoying the music while having fun doing it (cliche but true). But I agree with you 100% Speekless, and take what you said as constructive criticism-personally. Thanks for the feedback in general- Looking forward to see what the next sample is, this shit is a sick idea. What better then your favorite label doing something like this?!?!?
  • HUNGRYMAN likes this

#6 Speekless

Speekless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

Ahhh MellowYouth, how could I forget you?! We always post our beat right around the same time too, like an hour before deadline :-)

That #294 is a perfect example for me! Around that period was great and the best battles I've witnessed, I was actually late on the 294, and my own beats around that period are still some of my favorites... When you're surrounded by bangers, it somehow pushes you to do better than you ever could without it. It was too funny how everyone thought Dibias$e was a fake :)

Yeah, I don't know if banning someone once for entering and not voting is a good idea. You just never know what people have going, they could be all the sudden burying family that week or something. But this is a valid point and a problem. I've been doing these since #312 and have seen a lot of the hard-hitters not even coming back in to vote, multiple times. Which kinda drives me crazy when they pull votes, but half ass participate. I guess they may be burnt out also.

I would imagine that in most cases you could probably find a minute to excuse yourself from voting on the forum. If there really is some unforeseeable emergency that prevents you from even posting on the board, I wouldn't mind losing (and I think it would be a rather rare occurence). Personally I think it'd be worth it for the integrity of the group.

If you have an emergency on wednesday when you were supposed to upload the beat, you wouldn't get a second shot at it either!

@Maccathmhaoil:

It's not an issue at all. For me the issue is before you guys even showed up. It shouldn't be a problem to have a 150 entries, it only becomes one when the group was already too brittle to start with.

I'm not at all saying all the new guys should stay out, I'm just saying we need some more heavy-hitters as well cause that would help pull up everybody's level.

And I don't wanna scare any of the newcomers off, it was the same for me when I first went in and it's great that you participate. As long as your attitude is right and you wanna keep progressing, it's all love from me!

As for the voting thing, you've just posted on the forum that you had problems with it, and we're still before the deadline. So in this case your entry would still count ;)
  • Mister Ugly likes this

#7 ras dude

ras dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:drumming, glaucoma medication, shit from the 70's, podcasts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

I think banning someone for not participating in the vote is a little over zealous, because there are so many that do it week in and week out. I'm content with knowing that there are people who actually do vote and contribute to keeping things going. If it becomes a trend for certain user(s), then I think a ban would be appropriate.

It definitely sucks to know that there are a lot less people voting than submitting as usual, and with so many beats on the page this time around there is a higher chance that those who do vote will skip over a majority, looking at the ones with most plays/likes leaving newer members hanging. I listened to every beat this week and saw that some didn't even have as many plays as we do submitters. It's a damn shame.

It's tough to see that a lot of the vets such as Robo, SFT, (the rest) haven't been participating lately, cause their shit really set the standard high. I know they definitely helped me improve my game cause I used to suck terribly, well not as much as I do now. But yeah, with many of the newcomers (whom take up more than 1/2 of the submissions) appearing to be fairly new to beatmaking, the standard has dropped significantly. There were some beats back to back that sounded almost identical...made me laugh.

My first thoughts about the publicity were positive, but I think there are some folks submitting that are seeking some kind of popularity from this just because they participated and can say that they did. Fuck em they'll eventually fade away. I say give it a few weeks and things will eventually get back to normal...kind of.
  • Speekless and HUNGRYMAN like this

#8 The Human Spider

The Human Spider

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Professional Wrestling, American Football, Porn, Comics
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/the-human-spider

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

My first beat on STBB342 was my first ever entry, and it was made rather hastily, so if I fall into the category of the beats that sounded exactly the same, it was simply a learning experience for myself. I also just registered in the Stones Throw message board after voting hours, but I will listen to all entries in the next beat battle.

Speekless is spot on about everybody needing to step their game up, myself included. It's why I (finally) decided to submit an entry, and all I can do now is get better (or worse, LOL).
  • James Frank. likes this

#9 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

didn't he put a disclaimer right at the beginning of his posting? lemme go dig it up...

Been a minute.

Not submitting, just liked the sample and decided to kill 20 min. Posted on my soundcloud hoping maybe to get some fresh faces in here.

and here's his post on Facebook:

Stones Throw Message Board hosts a weekly beat battle that's been going on for years. I used to participate 4-5 years ago and I just found my way back on that sub forum and it's still going strong. Took a look at this week's samples and liked the selection. Inspired me to make this lil 20 minute microwave beat. I'm not going to submit since I'm on the label and obvious favoritism would be taking place, but I'm upping this to encourage some of you guys/producers to take a look at what they do every week and get involved. It's a cool lil thing.

www.stonesthrow.com/messageboard/in…hp?showforum=11

^There's the sub forum. Just join the board, read the rules and happy beatmaking.

Speekless, i get where you're coming from-- i had the same complaints back at the beginning of this year cause i felt like people weren't listening to my beats and giving them a fair chance...but trust me dude, it's an argument you are not gonna win on these boards lol. as far as my hiatus goes, i just got way too busy to do these anymore, but every once in a while i'll pop my head back in and check on what's going on...but last i remember, it was almost like there was too much fire (if that makes any sense), meaning that the same 3 dudes were winning week after week despite 100 other participants and probably 10+ beats that were just as worthy of winning, should they have had as big of followings as the big names. notoriety is just something you can't avoid, but even then i've seen some newcomers win battles their first week-- so it's not like people aren't listening to every beat...they just might not be listening closely to all of them.

#10 The Human Spider

The Human Spider

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

It definitely sucks to know that there are a lot less people voting than submitting as usual, and with so many beats on the page this time around there is a higher chance that those who do vote will skip over a majority, looking at the ones with most plays/likes leaving newer members hanging. I listened to every beat this week and saw that some didn't even have as many plays as we do submitters. It's a damn shame.

Which is why I wanna say "Much respect" to you, ras dude (and Verbalrinse, wherever he is), for taking the time out to listen to that beat. Meant something to me. And yours was crazy dope, duke.

My first thoughts about the publicity were positive, but I think there are some folks submitting that are seeking some kind of popularity from this just because they participated and can say that they did. Fuck em they'll eventually fade away. I say give it a few weeks and things will eventually get back to normal...kind of.

Twitter kinda sent me, but you hit the nail on the head. Where the is food, the are seagulls. Once the food is gone, most of the seagulls will fly away, few will stay...

#11 HUNGRYMAN

HUNGRYMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

I would imagine that in most cases you could probably find a minute to excuse yourself from voting on the forum. If there really is some unforeseeable emergency that prevents you from even posting on the board, I wouldn't mind losing (and I think it would be a rather rare occurence). Personally I think it'd be worth it for the integrity of the group.

Yeah, definitely. I didn't know if you meant banning for good or disqualifying. I'd say disqualification is fair enough.

If you just showed up, I wouldn't take any of this aimed at you personally. I think most folks are happy to see more competition. And people do come and go here quite frequently. It's nothing for this thing to have a 100 entries. Just a month or two ago, it dropped down to 45-50 entries, which seemed kinda rare. And a few weeks ago, there were about 100 entries with only like 15 votes, which is some bullshit. I think after this week, most of the new entries will see what it takes and step it up a notch.

...but last i remember, it was almost like there was too much fire

Like when Linkrust held this sucker down for a month before forfeiting his last win. Where's that dude at when you need some dust kicked up?
  • Speekless likes this

#12 HUNGRYMAN

HUNGRYMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

@The Human Spider - You still got until Midnight EST to vote.

#13 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

Like when Linkrust held this sucker down for a month before forfeiting his last win. Where's that dude at when you need some dust kicked up?

play with fire and you're gonna get burned ;)

Posted Image
  • HUNGRYMAN likes this

#14 The Human Spider

The Human Spider

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

@Hungryman: No doubt! Thanks. :lol:

#15 Speekless

Speekless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

didn't he put a disclaimer right at the beginning of his posting? lemme go dig it up...

and here's his post on Facebook:

Speekless, i get where you're coming from-- i had the same complaints back at the beginning of this year cause i felt like people weren't listening to my beats and giving them a fair chance...but trust me dude, it's an argument you are not gonna win on these boards lol. as far as my hiatus goes, i just got way too busy to do these anymore, but every once in a while i'll pop my head back in and check on what's going on...but last i remember, it was almost like there was too much fire (if that makes any sense), meaning that the same 3 dudes were winning week after week despite 100 other participants and probably 10+ beats that were just as worthy of winning, should they have had as big of followings as the big names. notoriety is just something you can't avoid, but even then i've seen some newcomers win battles their first week-- so it's not like people aren't listening to every beat...they just might not be listening closely to all of them.

Then I can only strongly apologize for what I said about JonWayne. I didn't see that post on the board (although I searched!) and I read the FB post via StonesThrow, it didn't mention that second part!

As for my frustration, it's not at all that I think ppl aren't giving my beats a fair shot, it's just that I don't hear as many inspiring beats anymore and feel the level going down.

I have no argument to win, just stated my opinion.

#16 Speekless

Speekless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:30 PM

Yeah, definitely. I didn't know if you meant banning for good or disqualifying. I'd say disqualification is fair enough.

Yep, disqualifying. And banning if repeated.

#17 ras dude

ras dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:drumming, glaucoma medication, shit from the 70's, podcasts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

Hehe he's moved on to spitting french fiyah on some of my beats...
  • HUNGRYMAN likes this

#18 nathanAlexander

nathanAlexander

Rookie

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/nathanalexander-1

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

pretty dope jonwayne showed love.. "jeffrey llama" too lol

i'm sure those we want sticking around will do so, others will fade away as usual

haven't posted in so long, but every week still get on here and listen..
(doesn't feel right voting if I can't listen to a bunch though)

#19 JoaGymshoe

JoaGymshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/joagymshoe

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:27 PM

we need some objective changes, make shit interesting, don't come with the same ole everything allowed shit!!! we need a challenge, we need to tighten this ship up and sort it out, and it has to be done together. I'm actually shocked Stonesthrow said anything about these battles as far as I knew we're a headache for them to deal with, nice to see four pages of votes for once that does make a change. Seriously though the bar needs to be raised again, and then some.

ODK wrote this in the 342 vote thread

Well.. I don't exactly know where I fit in in all this... Beatmaking is already a challenge for me..
I like the added challenge of writing, recording and mixing vocals on it every week...
Till there's a rule that says No skits acapella and vocals ... then I'll probably resort to clapping again ;)

Thinking in answers.. here are two suggestions...

Extra hard/interesting rules should weed out the people who are really aren't involved enough
Plus.. why not attach a standard text to the winners new sample post: YOU POST = YOU VOTE!
not that we can enforce it but juast as areminder ..and for those who haven't read the faq etc...
  • James Frank. likes this

#20 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:47 PM

I haven't participated in a while. Because of allot of the reasons you mentioned

#21 verbalrinse

verbalrinse

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Analog Sound, Music Production Equipment, Travel, Space, Cars, Motorcycles, Bikes, Kicks
  • Soundcloud:http://snd.sc/15xs5zo

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:23 AM

Which is why I wanna say "Much respect" to you, ras dude (and Verbalrinse, wherever he is), for taking the time out to listen to that beat. Meant something to me. And yours was crazy dope, duke.

It’s all love Human Spider, a serious musician never personally “arrives” at the top of his talent or potential, there’s always moves to make.

Let me begin my post by saying I’m not the biggest fan of message boards due to all the politickin’, ass kissin’, and newbie dissin’. I do not mean this as a diss to anyone, my vibration is strictly positive and progressive. In my very short time on the boards, I’ve observed quite a few things…one being, for the sake of this discussion, that there are some very proud and experienced members who genuinely care about the integrity and continuity of the movement. I have also noticed, and am very thankful for, the seasoned vets I’d like to call the “equalizers” for bringing peaceful tones of balance to discussions when needed to keep the bigger picture in frame which, if I might take the liberty of saying, that this is an open community and every member and every voice that’s dedicated to the advancement of the movement is of value, as is the content they introduce.

Yo, I’m here to have fun, listen to some stellar music, learn how to make better music and grow as a musician and so far, all faders are bangin’.

On to STBB #342 I listened to every beat, even though just looking at the number of spins I got, I knew not everyone returned the favor. I did it for two reasons, I honestly wanted to hear everyone’s music and I also took a serious role in selecting the track I liked the most.

With regard to my track, this was of course my first time participating in the battles, and I took the task very seriously, or so I thought I had at the time. Then reality hit and I was literally blown away at the level of effort cats were putting into their beats and I CERTAINLY could’ve put SO MUCH MORE into mine, no doubt. After hearing several of the buttery jonts I kicked myself for not going IN. That being said, I do not think my beat was wack (though I welcome any feedback from y’all dudes either way) but from here on in I’ll be participating in the battles as if I’m being paid to, word up.

#22 verbalrinse

verbalrinse

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Analog Sound, Music Production Equipment, Travel, Space, Cars, Motorcycles, Bikes, Kicks
  • Soundcloud:http://snd.sc/15xs5zo

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:27 AM

YOU POST = YOU VOTE!

Like this idea...

#23 DoomRustler

DoomRustler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Beat making... Pengweed with no seeds like underground shit horrors from the 70s on bit torrent
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/doomrustler

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:37 AM

Man.. how about this... take the top 10 from each week and do a private battle on the last week of the month including only the 30 top guys... we should elect a council of judges or a system.. seems to me we got the guys to do it.. i think all top 10 should be contacted and if they do not reply they sit out... based on an agreement that the beatmakers promise to bring their A game... i feel this will satisfy the hardcores, but it may also raise the weekly bar due to the fact lets say "i may not win but i get to go head to head with the best and get recognition for this"?? just a quick idea.. maybe its a shit one.. maybe someones got something they can add?....

#24 GoodFNeLla

GoodFNeLla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Rest in fuckin paradise my nigga Chakir
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/goodfellanella

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:04 AM

Im feelin you Speek,i really starterd from the bottom on ST,joined week after week because there wore some Legendery cats that gave me some constructive critisicm back,that really helped me to return stronger and stronger week after week,
I do miss that these days,and just really some guys dont even throw in a little afford because they dont like the sample.,thats disrespectin the winner ,i hate that too,

I also wondered why St stopped labelin the best beats of the week,that was some tight shit too,i seen guys come back the next week with massive bangers to get that lable :P,that was healthy competition,

Lets Just get some ST Pioneers like SFT,Jondo,dino,ogi,ben,rob,enzo,sape etc in a private forum,to discuss some new Plans,cause there are truly to many trashy ass flips,for real guys,lets make it more pragmatic like we used too
  • Speekless likes this

#25 16 Knapper

16 Knapper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:MPC
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/16knapper

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:54 AM

I'm not a regular so I maybe shouldn't say anything, but I see the problem.

I like to come here on STBB to challange my self. I'm all about sampling and I get inspired by sampling samples that I would pass if I found them in my vinyl collection or while digging. I can't join every week 'cause of everyday life things, but I try whenever I have time left before timelimit.

Everytime I make beats for STBB I follow the rules 100%. Time limit, whats allowed and whats not etc...even though the rules are so wide open sometimes that it seems like there are non, but ok. When I make them I don't keep in mind anyones work or that I have to make a winner. I just like being in the zone and having fun with it. Sometimes I get the best out of a sample sometimes I don't, but it's all good. And sometimes I make them over 2-3 days, and other times over 2-3 hours. I do all of my work on my MPC. Compress, mix etc. and I record it live as one track on to my computer. I don't know better nor do I have someone who can teach me how to do it better on softwear etc., so thats why my beats don't sound like your favorite big cats'. But to me, non of this does matter if a beat is a winner or not. It's the idea behind the beat. Feelings, vibe, atmosphere etc. that I get from hearing a beat determine a winner in my opinion.

Everytime I post a beat here I vote! And I listen through every single one of them!!! I try to comment aswell. When I vote I write down my top 3 or 5, and I include links to them so others can check them out aswell. But who I give my vote to I never know! As I said, I'm looking for feelings, vibe, atmosphere in music. I can't give my vote to a big cat just becasue he/she used 24 hours just on mixing drums to the perfection, or if they used 1 sec of a sample and 2 days on 20 different synths in their beat. More time spent and more tracks in one beat doesn't mean more chances of winning, and vice versa. If a beat hits you, it hits you! I don't care about time spent on beats, if it hits me you get my vote, big regular cat or new to this, raw or perfect sound, 100 tracks or 3 in your beat.

As far as votes go, we are all different and have different taste, but rules can be more strict.

Have a nice day all! :)

#26 DavidPulu

DavidPulu

Rookie

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Beats, Pizza, Music
  • Soundcloud:soundcloud.com/408breaks

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

Dude, there we're ALOT of beats that sounded exactly the same. Just different drums, and bpm.

I think If winners would put in the rules, A lilmit of sampling time one can sample from all 3 samples
would force the beat battles to raise the bar.

Oh yeah, Big ups to ras. mfckin well deserved win

#27 Montyshoewalker

Montyshoewalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:AKA "WALKINGSHOE" OR "JOE" OR "MONTY"
    Twitter.com/inthisshoe
  • Soundcloud:soundcloud.com/inthisshoe

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

Speekless, I definitely agree with a lot of what you said, especially when it comes to the voting. It's not too hard to set aside 1 hr to listen to all of the beats and pick a favorite over the course of 2 days (given we're all guys who have at least enough time to make a beat from scratch earlier in the week). If you fail to vote, it's out of laziness and lack of respect 99% of the time.

On quality...

Just to share my process, I generally download the sample just about every week and will work with it for a good 4-5 hrs before deciding to move forward with crafting a final mix, and then working on the master (if you don't know much about mastering, look into it!). About 1/2 of the time, if the song isn't turning out how I like it to be I'll scratch it and that will be it - no post. About 1 to 2/3rds of my attempts are usually scratched...

So to get to the point, perhaps if one of you guys aren't happy with the beat you made, just wait until next week and save your work for another time. This is just my personal philosophy however, and by no means am I telling anyone what they should do - that's up to the individual. However I think posting half-finished, "quick beats" that you're not fully satisfied with only diminishes a body of work. I think I read somewhere that madlib only releases 30% of his beats, and he releases A LOT of beats, lol.

Finally (and most all are good at this, but can't stress enough) if you participate in a week, I think it's always great to comment on tracks you enjoy. Not only is this is a good way to tell a producer that you like what they're doing, and/or provide some real live constructive criticism, but also great for the overall image of someone's soundcloud for when they send beats out to artists for collabs, etc (something I do quite often).

Anyways, honored to be part of a great community, and hope that the music I put out helps raise the bar in the same way your tracks helped me raise my own personal bar over the course of the 8 months or so I've been participating.

This battle is definitely a GREAT thing all around, and I think "the prospect of winning" is literally 0-5% of the reason I like to participate.
  • Speekless, ARwwae and DoomRustler like this

#28 Kutter

Kutter

Rookie

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

I try to vote as often as possible, but as of late I've been hella busy, but I try my best to listen to everybody's entry and I guess for me. It's more about the process and hearing what everybody's take on the sample. I honestly could care less about who wins. If I dig your sh*t. I'm gonna leave a comment and/ or like it. Theres a lot a dope cats on this board and a lot to be learned from everybody. Even the tracks that bore me. I generally get something from it. But I'm new.. What the F*** do I know.
  • IKAIM likes this

#29 IKAIM

IKAIM

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/ikaim

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

I agree with Kutter, I just do this for the fun of it. I'm primarily an Electro House producer, but I really enjoy the community you lot have here, as well as producing hip hop how I envision it in my mind. I suppose a vote wouldn't hurt from now on. :)

#30 eleven16

eleven16

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/eleven16

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

I feel fortunate that I stumbled upon this beats forum through the FB posting of JonWayne and Stones Throw. I was trying to imagine where I would be today, if I would have found a forum like this when I was younger, and making beat on a regular basis.

Either way, in the past two weeks I found more motivation then I have found in years to actually "complete" something — and post it on the internet. The idea of putting my work online was and is daunting. If I was waiting to feel like I am worthy of posting something, I would be in the same place I have been for years. It was important for me to just put something together to meet the deadline, even if it wasn't "finished," "perfect," or had a chance to win. I have heard, that a person might need to put together several hundred crappy pieces of music/beats/sequences until one can start to make something worth while. The goal isn't to waste my time and other people's time by posting shitty and bad quality audio, it is to become involved in a process, and learn.

I don't think votes, or winning holds nearly as much value as what can be learned on a weekly basis. This might just be a newb thing to say. I have listened to my uploads, parallel to everyone else's uploads, and both weeks I listened down the playlist at work to hear everyone's submission. It is easy to see where I fell short, where I could have been more interesting, and where peers have taken the same source material and made something different/better.

I realize there needs to be a bigger payoff/motivator (ie a winner), otherwise there isn't really a point. You listen to my beats and I listen to yours and we learn together is corny and will get stale quick.

Did I vote. Nope. I'll come clean, I am not a fan of public voting.
Will I vote. Sure, not that I know how people feel and what it means.

Point taken.

Thank you,
eleven16

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users