33 replies to this topic

#1 Swayin

Swayin

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

Hi,

I let you read this before telling you why I'm here.

Hi everyone,

I'm a french beatmaker (313 Eye), but also a web developer and graphic designer from Paris (France).
One day I wanted to find a MC, a specific voice and flow for a few instrumentals, I didn't really know where to find him, where to begin, as I didn't personally know any MC yet.

So I thought of a website that would allow you, beatmakers and MC's, to find each other : the right alter-ego for your project.

The concept is quite simple.

If you are a beatmaker, you just put online your instrumentals (or snippet, loop, etc) on which a MC can rap on.
You can browse MC's and find a voice/flow you like, and ask him (or her) to rap on your instrumentals. But that's not the added value of the project.

If you are a MC, you can browse instrumentals, and when you find one you like, you can record a quick demo online, with your laptop/mobile microphone, by clicking a button (here it is). If you are ok with it, the demo (instrumental + lyrics) is send to the beatmaker, who can recontact you for further collaboration if he also likes it, like in a "real" studio (meaning : real microphone & stuff, not demo-style).

This will not be a place to sell anything. Just a place to find THE beatmaker or MC you are looking for all these years.
This website will end its action when you will have found him (or her).

I made two surveys : one for you beatmakers, and one for you MC's.

If the projects retained your attention, good or bad way, please fill it. It will be crucial to see if this project is viable.

And : it will be free.

Feel free to let me know what you think about it, and if I miss something (like how you MC's are working, if it fits into your work flow, etc). I will try to answer your questions the best I can.

Peace !

I came with this idea on the MPC Forums (here is the topic) and few others communities. Besides a lot of ideas and optimism, they told me to check here if I wanted to reach some MCs.

So, tell me what you think about it. In good or bad, and why.
Even if it doesn't interest you and you're reading this, tell me why.

Thanks.

UPDATE (10/13/13)
--------------
see the current project state and updates on my blog! peace.

#2 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

Isn't this what Myspace Music was supposed to be? I mean, I think this is a great idea but seriously eventually the site will either become overridden with people trying to promote their beats or emcees promoting themselves. But don't get me wrong ... I shared the same idea as you, bruh, but from a different perspective.

1. Create a site that's more of a database than a site to promote your music/emcee skills
2. The main page gives spotlight to perhaps the producer/emcee that gets the most requests (kind of like Soundclick but less messy)
3. Create some sort of intelligent "search" that allows one to search for a particular style of beat/flow instead of browsing. By adhering to this, artists will discover new shit rather than clicking a link to go to the page of a producer/emcee that they already know.
4. To piggyback on the "discover" thing, add some sort of "I'm feeling lucky" random search to the main page.
5. User profiles should be kept simple and uniform. No flash animations or shit like that. Keep it professional. Only allow links to SoundCloud and YouTube, or whatever site you use to post music.

#3 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

sounds dope

#4 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

sounds like a good idea in theory...idk exactly how it'd be executed, but then again try explaining the concept of soundcloud to someone pre-2004.

#5 Swayin

Swayin

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:22 AM

sounds dope

sounds like a good idea in theory...idk exactly how it'd be executed, but then again try explaining the concept of soundcloud to someone pre-2004.

Thanks guys. I have some ideas, it's moving slowly as I'm the only one workinonit for the moment ;)
Anyone with web project skills, feel free to PM me if you want to get involved. As well as beta-testers.

Isn't this what Myspace Music was supposed to be? I mean, I think this is a great idea but seriously eventually the site will either become overridden with people trying to promote their beats or emcees promoting themselves. But don't get me wrong ... I shared the same idea as you, bruh, but from a different perspective.

1. Create a site that's more of a database than a site to promote your music/emcee skills
2. The main page gives spotlight to perhaps the producer/emcee that gets the most requests (kind of like Soundclick but less messy)
3. Create some sort of intelligent "search" that allows one to search for a particular style of beat/flow instead of browsing. By adhering to this, artists will discover new shit rather than clicking a link to go to the page of a producer/emcee that they already know.
4. To piggyback on the "discover" thing, add some sort of "I'm feeling lucky" random search to the main page.
5. User profiles should be kept simple and uniform. No flash animations or shit like that. Keep it professional. Only allow links to SoundCloud and YouTube, or whatever site you use to post music.

You seem to have the same vision as mine.
(Did you shared this idea here and before ? Does a topic exist where I could see the people reactions ?)

Nothing money-powered, everyone at the same egality step, besides few spotlights area, carrefully choosen.
A kind of up & down or "plus one" vote system should sort the listenable items among the others (there will be bad quality works, and I don't want it to interfere with the good ones).
User interface should be clear, clean, and I will take it and the user experience very seriously. If something must be customizable, it will be light, maybe only color-based, and only on the profile pages...

I got to think about all that, but right now I'm into technical stuff to see what's doable and where I'm going.

#6 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:12 AM

I shared this idea on Facebook back when I killed my Myspace account. Facebook didn't (and still doesn't) provide anything that helps independent producers/artists promote their shit outside of groups.

#7 Swayin

Swayin

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:19 AM

I shared this idea on Facebook back when I killed my Myspace account. Facebook didn't (and still doesn't) provide anything that helps independent producers/artists promote their shit outside of groups.

Right. Plus, Facebook make you pay if you want to reach all of your "fans".
Otherwise, a standart post shows in the timeline of about 35% of them only.

But I don't think it is the point. This project doesn't aim to facilitate independant artists' communication with their public.
It would be more like a tool used by musicians. Besides hip-hop, it could also serve other styles of music. Almost every producer once look for a singer, vice versa.

#8 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

I agree. The site would be more of a hub for music projects.

#9 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:59 AM

Thanks guys. I have some ideas, it's moving slowly as I'm the only one workinonit for the moment ;)
Anyone with web project skills, feel free to PM me if you want to get involved. As well as beta-testers.

You seem to have the same vision as mine.
(Did you shared this idea here and before ? Does a topic exist where I could see the people reactions ?)

Nothing money-powered, everyone at the same egality step, besides few spotlights area, carrefully choosen.
A kind of up & down or "plus one" vote system should sort the listenable items among the others (there will be bad quality works, and I don't want it to interfere with the good ones).
User interface should be clear, clean, and I will take it and the user experience very seriously. If something must be customizable, it will be light, maybe only color-based, and only on the profile pages...

I got to think about all that, but right now I'm into technical stuff to see what's doable and where I'm going.

I don't know how I can help. But I would love to be involved :). I can help promote

#10 Swayin

Swayin

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

I don't know how I can help. But I would love to be involved :). I can help promote

Sure man. Sorry for the delay by the way. Promotion is not for now, but I keep you in mind for when it will be the moment. When the first functional version of the project will be online, I will mostly need beta-testers, whose first feedbacks will be crucial.

Anyway, I came back to tell everyone who liked the project that I will update it on my blog.
This Disqus comment system is perfect for upvoting good ideas and comments. Feel free to participate!

#11 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:24 AM

Sure man. Sorry for the delay by the way. Promotion is not for now, but I keep you in mind for when it will be the moment. When the first functional version of the project will be online, I will mostly need beta-testers, whose first feedbacks will be crucial.

Anyway, I came back to tell everyone who liked the project that I will update it on my blog.
This Disqus comment system is perfect for upvoting good ideas and comments. Feel free to participate!

Cool, I'll check the blog out

#12 MattCoops

MattCoops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/mattcoopshiphop

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

SoundCloud

#13 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

I think it is a great idea. I think if executed correctly it could catch on. Then maybe, get bought up by Russell Simmons ideally. There are a lot of beat makers and emcee's. and thats a lot of eyes.

I am just wondering how the progress is coming? I know a lot of graphic designers who could help you in branding. If you are interested let me know.

#14 Swayin

Swayin

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:39 PM

I think it is a great idea. I think if executed correctly it could catch on. Then maybe, get bought up by Russell Simmons ideally. There are a lot of beat makers and emcee's. and thats a lot of eyes.

I am just wondering how the progress is coming? I know a lot of graphic designers who could help you in branding. If you are interested let me know.

Let's make it work before selling it ^_^ I'm not trying to make a living out of it, if it could pay the server bills it would be great already (music files are heavy and it takes some bandwidth). That idea truly came from a musical need at first.

For the webdesign, I was thinking of something kind of agnostic, like Discogs. Every music style has its graphical universe, and I don't think it's a good idea to focus on a hip-hop graphic style only. But I'll debate it with pleasure, send me your friends emails if they're interested, as I'm building a small team to work on it.

Otherwise, technically speaking, I'm monitoring the WebRTC standart which is slowly spreading on browsers and mobile browsers, and allow to record right from it. It only works on lastest Chrome and Firefox versions for the moment.

SoundCloud

I know SoundCloud, what about it ? Someone had the idea to allow producers to link their SoundCloud account to TealCrowd (project codename, see my blog post). I think it's a great idea, but I haven't looked at their API yet.

#15 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:01 AM

hey dont make it completely specific to dj's, producer and rappers. get bands, orchestras etc

make genre catergories

#16 Swayin

Swayin

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:20 AM

hey dont make it completely specific to dj's, producer and rappers. get bands, orchestras etc

make genre catergories

That's it. The main idea is to link a music producer and a performer, with this instant-record feature.
You can be a beatmaker, a rock band, or a beatboxer, this project would give anybody the opportunity to sing / rap on your track. But hey, you can sing whatever you want. You could beatbox too. Or play harmonica. It's not because the project mainly targets instrumental producers and singers that you can't record what you want in your microphone.

That said, I think it has to be more a tool than anything else. It has to evolve with how the users use it. That's also why I want it to be as graphically agnostic as possible.

The "marketing" part will be tricky. I don't want it to give an image of a too "generalist" tool, used a little by everybody but not really by anybody, where in fact you can't find what you're looking for because everybody thinks that. We'll have to target every music genre, but individually.

Sorry if my post seems messy, I think as I write.

#17 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:44 AM

make it each person gets a profile were they put in the characteristics of the type of partner they want and there own characteristics. then you click a button and it matches you up with someone. dont make it like a forum were you make posts saying "I am a beatmaker from...I would like to collab with...."

that would be cool

so that you can search through categories and type in keywords that match another persons profile. or you can click similar and it matches you up with someone who meets your criteria :)

#18 Swayin

Swayin

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:00 AM

make it each person gets a profile were they put in the characteristics of the type of partner they want and there own characteristics. then you click a button and it matches you up with someone. dont make it like a forum were you make posts saying "I am a beatmaker from...I would like to collab with...."

that would be cool

so that you can search through categories and type in keywords that match another persons profile. or you can click similar and it matches you up with someone who meets your criteria :)

Yeah that was definitely planned to work like this. It would be a web application, not a "discussion"-based website.
I will prototype it quickly and update the blog when it's done, so we will see if we have the same vision.

#19 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:02 AM

Yeah that was definitely planned to work like this. It would be a web application, not a "discussion"-based website.
I will prototype it quickly and update the blog when it's done, so we will see if we have the same vision.

Cool. Just remember it's your idea. So don't feel pressured by what we say it's just suggestions

#20 Swayin

Swayin

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:11 AM

Cool. Just remember it's your idea. So don't feel pressured by what we say it's just suggestions

Hehe, don't worry. It's my idea, but you will be the user. Your voice is important.

#21 DJ Sapien

DJ Sapien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:The beautiful things in life.
  • Soundcloud:soundcloud.com/djsapien

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

Great idea, man. I was looking for collabos on Soundcloud and it was just page after page of lameness. I must've listened to at least 100 MCs and they all sucked with no exceptions. I'll definitely be checking it out.

#22 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Let's make it work before selling it ^_^ I'm not trying to make a living out of it, if it could pay the server bills it would be great already (music files are heavy and it takes some bandwidth). That idea truly came from a musical need at first.

For the webdesign, I was thinking of something kind of agnostic, like Discogs. Every music style has its graphical universe, and I don't think it's a good idea to focus on a hip-hop graphic style only. But I'll debate it with pleasure, send me your friends emails if they're interested, as I'm building a small team to work on it.

Otherwise, technically speaking, I'm monitoring the WebRTC standart which is slowly spreading on browsers and mobile browsers, and allow to record right from it. It only works on lastest Chrome and Firefox versions for the moment.

I know SoundCloud, what about it ? Someone had the idea to allow producers to link their SoundCloud account to TealCrowd (project codename, see my blog post). I think it's a great idea, but I haven't looked at their API yet.

Just PM'd you. But yes, Graphic design is important, but yes, it is arguable the interface much more so. It is key you nail that down first. Why Apple kicks ass, their designs in all aspects, from software to hardware.

Edit.
All you need is an interface that cleanly and clearly allows for uploads of music and the playback of those files to be heard. Soundcloud, does this very well obviously. However, where you would differ is in your brading. Also communications between users would be huge.

#23 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

What about an app ?

#24 Swayin

Swayin

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

However, where you would differ is in your brading.

It would rather be the instant-recording feature, not only the branding.
(got your PM)

What about an app ?

Ideally, the website would be mobile-first. But accessing the microphone from the browser (like Safari, Chrome iOS, etc.) isn't for today yet, at least with the WebRTC technology. So yes, I will have to think about making an app until WebRTC arrives on mobile devices. That's a lot of work.

#25 MattCoops

MattCoops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

I consider Soundcloud a meeting place. Post your music, gain a following. People can hit you up for collabs. Its a better soundclick.

#26 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

I consider Soundcloud a meeting place. Post your music, gain a following. People can hit you up for collabs. Its a better soundclick.

True, but I think there is a market for something designated for emcees and producers to meet. Who knows, if its done right, I think it could catch on.

#27 MattCoops

MattCoops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

True, but I think there is a market for something designated for emcees and producers to meet. Who knows, if its done right, I think it could catch on.

ReverbNation had an attempt at it, and it turned into a spam place

#28 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

Hm.
Yah, I guess it has the potential for a lot of seediness.

So I guess, I wonder, how do you keep it classy? Can it be done?

#29 Swayin

Swayin

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:20 PM

I agree. But it lacks a link system between tracks, and a on-the-fly record feature. You can't easily rap on a beat you like, and post it, because you have to download the track (if it's downloadable, otherwise have to got a media downloader, etc), open it on your DAW, record it, mix it, bounce it, upload it, send it to the beatmaker... In TealCrowd, all this would be a one-click feature.

The upvote/downvote system would sort the listenable from the spam. I don't want it to be a bunch of unused features. But I agree that I will have to be carreful with the spam and shitty tracks posted to test it or just for the lulz.

ReverbNation had an attempt at it, and it turned into a spam place

What was the name ? Is it still online ?

Hm.
Yah, I guess it has the potential for a lot of seediness.

So I guess, I wonder, how do you keep it classy? Can it be done?

The main objective is to only purpose main features. Nothing fancy, at least for the beta and the launch.
User feedbacks, analytics and suggestions will improve it slowly, and features would be added this way only.

#30 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:32 AM

The main objective is to only purpose main features. Nothing fancy, at least for the beta and the launch.
User feedbacks, analytics and suggestions will improve it slowly, and features would be added this way only.

Main features being?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mc, beatmaker, website, record

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)