• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

doesn't it suck knowing you have more talent than some other dudes putting out straight bullshit?
i'm not very confident when it comes to 99% of the other things i do in life, but when it comes to my music i just know i'm better than so many of these whack "rappers"...

one of my buddies downtown is friends with this kid (who shall remain nameless) that is starting to blow up. and it's not because he put in the time and effort to build up a unique, distinct style that sets him apart from the rest- it's because he's got enough $ to get studio time, write stuff mid-session to "meh" wannabe mainstream beats, and then spends more time marketing his stuff than actually making the music.

& its not like his marketing campaign is that clever, he just lies and puts stuff like "#1 radio single", "Attn: DJ's & Strippers --- Request this Song", and "Grammy-Winning" to get the dullards from the WSHH crowd to listen to it...as well as pestering the personal emails of celebs by spamming them with his shit all day. doesn't this piss any of you guys off that actually try and release a quality product that ends up getting shelved in place of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYsCBI6jPRg

#2 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,978 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

Naw it doesn't make me mad, just more hungery and more confident in the sense that 'If this cat can eat off this rap game then...' type mentality. I ran into one of these aforementioned characters this past weekend and I just had to laugh at how ridiculous their mindstate has to be to do whatever it is they think they're doing. Toeachhisown though, because in the long run this music business is very much about customer service and giving people something they 'think' they want to hear. So if dude can cater to a certain group of the market I'm not going to hate on him. Give him his props, ignore him and give yourself more time to develop your craft and your marketing strategy.

#3 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Give him his props, ignore him and give yourself more time to develop your craft and your marketing strategy.

yeah, you're probably right. i think today has just been a tad overwhelming with hearing JW raise the bar and then seeing this kid get 100K on his views while in the mean time i have 20 views and 0 subs on my new channel lol. there definitely is an element of bitterness to how i feel, i'm not denying that at all...but i guess you gotta let people do what they will though. it's gotta be similar to the way struggling indie directors feel about films like Sharktopus or something, i imagine.

#4 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:14 AM

The was I see it is that this guy is marketing his music to the only crowd that will give him attention, and sadly that crowd consists of people who tend to run out and support any artist/group/label that their social circle, the radio, and/or what other people call "hot shit" in his/her area even when their shit is straight garbage. In my area (Georgia), people tend to idolize so-called rappers like Lil Boosie, Gucci Mane, and Soulja Boy for reasons I've yet to overstand. But like SunnyMeadowz said, "toeachhisown". It's been a bit of a struggle to get my music promoted around here so I can relate, fam, but I know that there's people out there who are quick to jump on a bandwagon, and then there's people who capitalize off of bandwagon riders.

#5 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:58 AM

he sounds like he's using a broken vocoder...

#6 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

yeah, you're probably right. i think today has just been a tad overwhelming with hearing JW raise the bar and then seeing this kid get 100K on his views while in the mean time i have 20 views and 0 subs on my new channel lol. there definitely is an element of bitterness to how i feel, i'm not denying that at all...but i guess you gotta let people do what they will though. it's gotta be similar to the way struggling indie directors feel about films like Sharktopus or something, i imagine.

When people raise the bar, it's a way for everyone to reinvent, push what you do already, it is not for going oh my god that is amazing I can't. Your belief will carry the whole thing, if a little part of you is saying "nah" that will make it crumble. (right here was going to post a vid of the Incredible Mr goodman rolling a car over, but I can't find it, he basically got blokes one by one, to try and lift the car, it took 6 to get it off the ground, he had one go failed, then sat stared, and literally changed, ran at the vehicle and toppled,)

Everything is Mind over Matter, everything!
It has to be conceived in the mind before it can occur, which brings me back to belief, if you believe in yourself to make a beat, you will, but apply that to everything, how ? look at the thought process behind a beat, that moment you connect with what you have chosen, what bit will you take, what can you do with it etc, apply it to everything you do, and you won't feel like you suck at everything else, you prob don't, your a right brain thinker by the looks of things so it's just boring as hell for you, not that you suck or are not good, it's all about preparation, with intent. This guy has both maybe not for the same reason's the rest of us would go about it, but he has, depends what you want at the end of it, Also what you set out positive or negative will always come back to you, he'll probably end up quite unhappy, and lonely, when he realizes everyone around him is just like him, that he has gone to so much trouble to surround himself with these types of people. don't sweat it holmes just make another dam good Doom battle and win this one! ;)
  • James Frank. likes this

#7 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

don't sweat it holmes just make another dam good Doom battle and win this one! ;)

haha, i feel ya ODK. i think we all just need to figure out how to promote ourselves better, because this whole process of "coming up" really is a snowball effect...i've seen it time and time again, even with people around me who are starting to get their shine (yourself included).

it always starts out slow and meandering, and it's hard just getting 4 people to listen to your shit; then one day you have 200 people following you, and if you can capitalize on that then those 200 turn into 400, then 800 and eventually 1,000+. then from there it starts getting to the point where you can just record yourself farting on a beat and people will dig it because you've built a repetoire with your "fanbase" you've accumulated...and then one day you wake up and realize you're there (that's how i assume it felt like for cats like Knx. and JW).

but i don't think anyone's arguing that the very beginning stages of this cycle aren't shitty, even if you maintain positive vibes about it like i do for the most part haha. but yeah, solid advice once again coming from the jedi knight.

#8 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

the masses are pretty much dumbed down and into bubblegum/trap/club music, it sucks but its just whats hot right now and nothing will change that, that kind of music is for that kind of people but not us!

get some of these blogspots to post some of your work and your downloads will increase a little... at this point its like this; just make good music and the people its meant for will get to it... in the mean time try to figure out a promotion strategy. not to mention the net is flooded with beat tapes and shit! im gonna check your stuff out when i get off! keep on pushin! just know that anything real and different from the bubble gum shit will struggle to get much recognition in these times but if 10 people dig it thats who its for!

when i had a facebook i would post some dope ass shit (loops n beats) even some madlib and dilla shit and nikkas wouldnt fuk wit it, even my close friends wouldnt support but i noticed they would always like or post some whack azz shit it used to make me mad as hell to the point i got off n shit... shit does piss me but it is what it is! i feel your pain

GD
  • James Frank. likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users