#483 GC90

GC90

waxramble / Discogs / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

You talking about the part at the end of "High"? That's not what that sample is. Not sure what it is, but I assumed it was someone trippin their nuts off after smokin some bad shit. That's what I gathered from the dialogue anyway.

Or are you talking about somewhere else?

That's what I'm talking about. It sounded like he mixed samples there for the effect you're saying. Could be wrong though

#484 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

That's what I'm talking about. It sounded like he mixed samples there for the effect you're saying. Could be wrong though

Yeah, I think it's some other dude wailing. Shit cracks me up though. "You slobberin"
  • Dirty Cyclist likes this

#485 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

it's probably off of Bum Fights or something lol...

#486 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:45 PM

http://instagram.com/p/l77PrnFJxf/

fkn amazing

seriously considering using this as alternate cover art

#487 klinteastwood

klinteastwood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Soundcloud:soundcloud.com/klinteastwood

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:16 AM

god bless man
  • Chason likes this

#488 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

so...anybody get closer to solving the mystery of "High" yet?
that main sample is totally not Freda Payne like i thought it was, i checked the original track and all the covers of it i could find from other artists.

so that must mean that Madlib not only flipped that FP shit, but then he found another song in the same key with very similar chord progressions and mixed them together into one monster beat.......now that's fucking impressive imo.

also, "Knicks" is maaaaaa shyytttttttttttt

Posted Image

#489 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

so...anybody get closer to solving the mystery of "High" yet?
that main sample is totally not Freda Payne like i thought it was, i checked the original track and all the covers of it i could find from other artists.

so that must mean that Madlib not only flipped that FP shit, but then he found another song in the same key with very similar chord progressions and mixed them together into one monster beat.......now that's fucking impressive imo.

also, "Knicks" is maaaaaa shyytttttttttttt

Posted Image

Hope when I quote it doubles the bouncing cars, think I'm gonna have a seizure any moment watching this though :blink:

#490 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

"Knicks" is maaaaaa shyytttttttttttt
Posted Image

Yessir!!! Probably my favorite cut on the record. That beat is fucking awesome but Corleone goes IN on that track!!!!! I absolutely love how the first and second verses start.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned what a great story teller Gibbs is. Pretty much every single track he sticks to a very specific storyline/subject matter with almost no straying from the topic at hand. If you have spent the better part of the last month listening to this album and you STILL refuse to admit that FG is one of the better cats actively making new music than you are fucking insane and you wouldn't know a good writer if Will Shakespeare slapped the shit out of you while you were sleeping.

#491 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

can't wait for my commute home 2 night... (MadPinata came in the mail today)

#492 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

If you have spent the better part of the last month listening to this album and you STILL refuse to admit that FG is one of the better cats actively making new music than you are fucking insane and you wouldn't know a good writer if Will Shakespeare slapped the shit out of you while you were sleeping.

I'm curious as to what his next project will sound like without Madlib (or at least not exclusively produced by Madlib). He's very different on this record in comparison to some of his earlier tapes which I've since checked out. If this was FG's only album I'd certainly agree more that he's one the better dudes making new music right now since I'd imagine future stuff to be just as good as this. If his next tape/record is as great of a performance as this one, I'm definitely willing to admit he deserves credit as being one of the best in rap right now. I'm imagining he'll follow the type of performance SAS did on their record which followed Stoney Jackson though, where it was just crap as a result of no Madlib carrying the record. Madlib def didn't carry this record as hard as that SAS album though imo, so hopefully I'll be wrong about my guess anyway.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#493 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

Yeah, I think it's some other dude wailing. Shit cracks me up though. "You slobberin"

yeah, I think it is a different sample, but it does kind of sound like it. funny stuff.

I'm pretty much over gangster rap, but Madlib strikes again and Gibbs does a great job, so I have to agree this album is F-ing sick!

I really like "Real". Sounds like he channel some of DMX's energy and that opening sample is great: Ready to kick your ass out of this world!

I like Danny Brown of some stuff, but I think his verse on "High" doesn't fit well. Not hating, just saying...

"Gangster rap ain't dead, it just smells funny" ~ Dirty Cyslist

#494 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

Just ordered [Cocaine] Piñata from UGHH. The artwork for the full-length is dope! I completely ignored the barrage of EPs that preceded the LP. I think years back I came to know of Gibb's through his classic verse on Curren$y's Scottie Pippen, which, without having yet listened to Piñata, he's struggled to live up to since.

To the question of how good a live performer Gibbs is: he's one of the most uninspiring performers I've ever witnessed in all the almost 50 concerts that I've attended since my first live show experience in '07. Earlier this year, on the 17th of March to be exact, I went to Schoolboy Q's Miami show w/ Isaiah Rashad and Vince Staples as the opening acts/ tour support. All three of these rappers were horrific performers! Staples took the crown as the worst performer I've ever experienced but Gibbs is certainly in the conversation.

I have no inside information or anything equivalent to such but considering past trends I'm sure an instrumental edition of Piñata is to come. For all the Gibbs skeptics who have not yet committed to this project yet fiend for Loop Digga production, be patient.

#495 4444

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

Get your pre-orders going, the TAPE is released May 6th.

ughh
FatBeats

#496 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

I want the tape too but I'd never listen to it.
  • OfficeTime8889 likes this

#497 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

Get your pre-orders going, the TAPE is released May 6th.

ughh
FatBeats

lol, of course

#498 4444

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

That Uno beat, man....

Is this the type of release to get a 2xCD version 4-5 years from now? Confused what version(s) I'm supposed to buy for what price and format...and when. Problems.

#499 Jimmyfunkvalve

Jimmyfunkvalve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:35 AM

Buy the normal cd, the best buy exclusive cd, the lp, the cassette, the instrumental lp, then buy the lp with alternative cover that'll be released in 2 yrs, then and only then will you be able to buy the 2xcd reissue in 4-5 yrs time. I think that covers everything, but you never know.
  • GC90 likes this

#500 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

i'm surprised that TND said his least favorite track was "Uno", that track is bossin'...and i agree with 4444, dat beat tho. but yeah, i wonder what the instrumentals artwork is gonna look like? maybe it'll be Otis sitting in a park at night in an all-white track suit surrounded by okapi stripes...

#501 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:00 PM

Posted Image
  • DJ Projexion, soulREBEL360, Chason and 3 others like this

#502 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:50 AM

Has this jam been mentioned already? Shares the same sample as "Piñata"

#503 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:22 AM

This LP is phuggin' dope.  In my opinion, this is the closest thing we will get to a Madvillian sequel.  It's like a more gangster'd out Madvillin  I've listened to it everyday since I bought it. (and I never do that) 

Only complaint are some of the verses of some of the guest rappers.  Like that Ab-Soul cat dropped one of the wackest verses on the Lakers joint and whoever dropped the last verse on the title track where he didn't rhyme some of his lines and basically just quit his verse saying "Odoyle Rules" will no emotion.  (garbage homie)

• SunnyMeadowz, GC90 and gEEchieDan like this

#504 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

Questionable features were Ab-Soul and Mac Miller, surely

• GC90 likes this

#505 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

ab soul didnt impress, i keep listening to High, robes, and the one with reakwon the most super dope!

• GC90 likes this

#506 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

Did anyone buy the tape yet?

#507 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

Love the Lakers track, but Ab Soul's feature was pretty weak. The features on Robes were also pretty meh, especially's Earls (which was surprising to me). Out of all the features, I thought Scarface's was easily the best

#508 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

Yeah, Scarface killed that shit.  Didn't realize it was him at first.  (didn't sound like his voice)

#509 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:12 AM

I honestly cried when I heard the legendary Brad Jordan finally grace one of The Madlib's beats. But Gibbs' two verses are so damn honest I think he topped Face at his own game of emo rap.

#510 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

not sure if i already spoke my opinion on the track "Lakers"...but yes, that Ab-Soul verse is the worst thing i've ever heard him spit--which is very suspicious, because imo Ab-Soul is like easily in the top 5 of the best rappers out there currently (check out his solo work, i promise he's good haha). 

this makes me wonder whether or not he took Gangsta Gibbs seriously when he was hit up for a guest feature; i'm assuming he was just like, "who the fuck is this?" and assumed nobody would ever hear this album and thought he could get away with saying absolutely nothing on a track meant to be about where he grew up.  but lo and behold, several months later this shit is in the running for AOTY for a significant chunk of the underground hip-hop world, and Soulo just completely murked his first impression with some of the most loyal, open-minded fans you can find. 

so i think it's kinda disrespectful to both FG and Madlib that he dropped such a whack verse, knowing that his usual output is miles ahead of those whack 8-12 bars he just randomly tried cobbling together for a paycheck....not sure what my opinions of him are anymore.

• GC90 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users