For real, it's 10 times worse than ODB busting a nut on MV

#422 NickleBanks

NickleBanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:51 PM

I like the zebra cover a lot, but that Pinata 64 is super nice! ... wonder what the instrumental cover is gonna be like.

(off topic: these album covers with the aged look built/printed into the design are even cooler in a way when they actually do age and show some wear. I tend to get way too excited about this sort of thing, but can't wait to see my copies of these Jank covers in about 50 years from now ... like I want to get actual moldy copies of those moldy BKs 5 & 6. With pristine wax of course.)

#423 Phineas Q. Butterfat

Phineas Q. Butterfat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

what's up with the censoring of one of Gibbs' chain pieces? the pic with him & Madlib together smiling/laughing

#424 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

(off topic: these album covers with the aged look built/printed into the design are even cooler in a way when they actually do age and show some wear. I tend to get way too excited about this sort of thing, but can't wait to see my copies of these Jank covers in about 50 years from now ... like I want to get actual moldy copies of those moldy BKs 5 & 6. With pristine wax of course.)

I was about to say the exact opposite. They kinda remind me of the ripped and worn jean effect that Abercrombie enthusiasts sport. My "Miles Away" cover is aging beautifully with ring wear, warm static and some color fading that looks like I got it out of the rear view window of a 69 Chevy Impala.
  • NickleBanks and GC90 like this

#425 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

Just figured out that the same Lambo that made computer bagel 7' is Gibbs manager...
  • GC90 likes this

#426 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

Just figured out that the same Lambo that made computer bagel 7' is Gibbs manager...

I thought they might have been related but figured the two aesthics were so divergent there wasn't a chance in hell it could be true. I remember when Gibbs' Straight Killa dropped he gave a shout out to PBW and his Highway to Hell 12" I have laying around was through Innovative Leisure which also has deep ST ties. How much further do the connections go?

#427 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

Yep, Lambo had actually contacted me with a take down request of that Boiler Room set that had all those FG/Madlib tracks (was also contacted by Now Again who represent Madlib, Lambo represents FG of course). They were all totally cool about it and Lambo even gave me an unreleased track to share lol (the sequel to Computer Bagel)

#428 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

How much further do the connections go?

I heard Folerio originally performed the hook for Deeper but got in a slap boxing fight with gangster Gibbs because Piñata wasn't for the people.
  • James Frank. likes this

#429 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XmQI8Ib80Y

Love that track! They sound like very down to earth peoples.

#430 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

I heard Folerio originally performed the hook for Deeper but got in a slap boxing fight with gangster Gibbs because Piņata wasn't for the people.

HAHA!

EDIT: I was able to swoop into the local shop by my house and got the one copy of vinyl that they had ordered. While listening to the title track on repeat for about five times I realized not only is Freedie Corleone'a verse fucking crazy, especially his voice, but all the rappers bring some fire to that beat. Casey Veggies and Meechy Darko are probably my favorites besides FG; but M&M deserves the honor of best line with this one at the very end:

#431 Jimmyfunkvalve

Jimmyfunkvalve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:04 AM

Mac Miller?

yeah, of course, he's a fucking lyrical genius.

Rakim must be shitting his pants.

Danny Brown sounds like a retarded Slick Rick to my ears, although I don't hate his verse quite so much after a few listens.
Funny shit.

A guest spot on a Gibbs record is a bit of a poisoned chalice, basically he's gonna make anyone look bad in comparison.
I wouldn't be fucking with any of these rappers (apart from the Chef) were they not on a Madlib record.
But I like Scarface's verse. Domo ain't too bad either. The rest are ok but frankly surplus to requirements.

The beats though, holy guacamole they're amazing. Can't wait for the instros. Only hope that the 'extras' that were mentioned for the instrumental release aren't the remaining bonus beats off of the EPs eg Riot Call etc. That'd be pretty wack.

On a side note, they couldn't call this collab MadGibbs as the name was already taken for the forthcoming Madlib/BeeGees remix project. No, really.

#432 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

Danny Brown sounds like a retarded Slick Rick to my ears

hahaha...line of the day right here.
also, i've been listening to "Robes" a lot lately-- and it got me thinking: has anyone else questioned what the fuck's up with Earl's verse? i mean, Domo and Freddie are basically spitting this laid-back, braggadocios flow about how they don't give a shit about what people think about them, and the beat itself says "you never have the time to frown, wearing a smile"...and then Earl drops a depressing verse about skeletons in his closet and his dad not wanting him like cold pizza.

what's up with that? it's very disparate to the rest of the track...and it's still a good verse, but it feels like it belongs much more on a track like "Broken" or something.

#433 NickleBanks

NickleBanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

I was about to say the exact opposite. They kinda remind me of the ripped and worn jean effect that Abercrombie enthusiasts sport. My "Miles Away" cover is aging beautifully with ring wear, warm static and some color fading that looks like I got it out of the rear view window of a 69 Chevy Impala.

I was trying to say the same thing... I don't mind the "fake aging" album cover as much as, say, on jeans (horrible), but it's better when it's real. At which point the fake aging sort of disappears. What's cool to me, is how it blurs the idea (or at least image) of a mint jacket. But totally agree that the natural aging is the shit!
  • ynqhead likes this

#434 Goodz047

Goodz047

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Wax

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

• NickleBanks and GC90 like this

#435 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

I can't stop listening to Robes. That beat is just way too much. It's a problem.
  • James Frank. likes this

#436 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o5Fg8ZJdJzo

Why the hell they askin about quasimoto on a madgibbs interview???

#437 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

Why the hell they askin about quasimoto on a madgibbs interview???

Because interviewers think they have some sort of obligation to constantly ask about Quas/MV. They all think they'll be the one to get Otis to give them the answer he didn't give the thousands of reporters before them.
  • GC90, gEEchieDan and Jurmainson like this

#438 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

id ask about supreme team!!!!

#439 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o5Fg8ZJdJzo

Funny Freddie mentions Uno being his favorite, I'd say Real/Uno/Shitsville were my favorites as far as his portion of the album goes. I guess I like FG when he's pissed off (though I like happy FG on Lakers too I suppose lol). Would be funny seeing any kind of response to Real as well, dunno how he could do anything close to what FG/Madlib did on that one

#440 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:34 PM

I can't stop listening to Robes. That beat is just way too much. It's a problem.

Yeah Man, I can't understand why everyone was talking about it as the track to skip when it first dropped. I'm with you, that's one of the best joints on this record.

Madlib hiding behind the Carreras is kind of funny.

#441 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

WILL THIS ALBUM BE REMEMBERED FOREVER OR FORGOTTEN AFTER A WHILE???

#442 NickleBanks

NickleBanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

forevereverinfinite

#443 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

WILL THIS ALBUM BE REMEMBERED FOREVER OR FORGOTTEN AFTER A WHILE???

i think this one's gonna stick around for quite a while...hopefully it doesn't go the MMS#9 route.

#444 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

damn i never even listend to MMS9 outside of the snippets, should i pass or get it? i forgot about it lol i think this one will be remembered or a long time!

#445 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

id ask about supreme team!!!!

The Madlib has uttered that he has nothing to rap about, so I don't think anything related to him rapping is coming out in this lifetime. I guess no quasimoto, supreme team, jaylib, madlib solo project, quasimoto and Melvin pebbles etc. I'm just looking forward to whatever he decides to drop next.
  • gEEchieDan likes this

#446 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

damn i never even listend to MMS9 outside of the snippets, should i pass or get it? i forgot about it lol i think this one will be remembered or a long time!

i would definitely cop it just for the beats, Geech. it's basically Madlib doing some West-Coast shit, and Frank Nitt is...well, his usual self. the beats definitely compliment his style though

#447 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

the beats definitely compliment his style though

Worst MMS but the above statement is true

#448 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

Not to derail the thread, but do people not like Nitt or something? Love the dude, and I thought that Medicine Show was great!

#449 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

Not to derail the thread, but do people not like Nitt or something? Love the dude, and I thought that Medicine Show was great!

In my opinion he's simply decent. I don't dislike anything I've heard, but there's nothing on that album or anything else I've heard from him that would put him in heavy rotation. MMS has straight up gems, Nittyville is ok once in a while and so is Frank as an MC but there are too many good albums out there including several in the same series, for me personally to go bonkers over MMS9.
  • GC90 likes this

#450 NickleBanks

NickleBanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

HAHA!

EDIT: I was able to swoop into the local shop by my house and got the one copy of vinyl that they had ordered. While listening to the title track on repeat for about five times I realized not only is Freedie Corleone'a verse fucking crazy, especially his voice, but all the rappers bring some fire to that beat. Casey Veggies and Meechy Darko are probably my favorites besides FG; but M&M deserves the honor of best line with this one at the very end:

really diggin' the Meechy Darko verse, maybe for his voice more so than his lyrics ... sorta reminds me of Nosaj from New Kingdom (https://www.youtube....h?v=aFAUoRlIjOw) ... never heard him before but gonna go check out more of his stuff.

Anyway back to the main topic: PIñATA fucking rules the earth right now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users