#301 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

Forreal?! (Begins drooling and gets a semi)

FG obviously not better on the mic vs DOOM, but the production on this record is incredible. As for those waiting to listen until actually out, you guys don't have to feel bad if still purchasing anyway! I have the vinyl version preordered, cannot wait for that thing to ship lol

#302 khadafi@portland

khadafi@portland

Rookie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

My Portland people, how's that Illmaculate "Clay Pigeons?" I've gotta wait until pay day to purchase it. And yes, it's good to see Portland people in here. I signed up for the msg board after the earliest PDX tour between Chrome Children and Bounce (whichever was the first). I've been a STMB stalker since at least 2001 though. The promoters in that town need to step it back up cuz Portland getting skipped and Seattle getting two nights is unjust. And Lewiston, Idaho????? I love Idaho, but really? Idaho, lol????!!!

#303 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:39 AM

My Portland people, how's that Illmaculate "Clay Pigeons?" I've gotta wait until pay day to purchase it. And yes, it's good to see Portland people in here. I signed up for the msg board after the earliest PDX tour between Chrome Children and Bounce (whichever was the first). I've been a STMB stalker since at least 2001 though. The promoters in that town need to step it back up cuz Portland getting skipped and Seattle getting two nights is unjust. And Lewiston, Idaho????? I love Idaho, but really? Idaho, lol????!!!

Exactly my point. I don't care if they spend 5 years straight in Idaho and Washington, just as long as someone is able to get me a stop on that tour too. I can't keep driving 3+ hours each way whenever I want to see a concert. Not a guy like Gibbs at least. He's aight but I only know of him becuase of the Madlib. Now if Madlib was in Seattle, you bet your ass I'd have no complaints. It'd just be nice to have some of the guys I'm more casual fans of to stop here and give me a fun evening.

#304 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

Well it's leaked, not hard to find, sick album, def buying this. the Irony is how long you wait for this, now it's about the Instrumentals album.
  • GC90 likes this

#305 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

Getting the best buy version

#306 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

Getting the best buy version

Same, I have a bestbuy literally around the corner form my apartment. I'm probably gonna have to get blunted and walk there after work on Tuesday. Good to see the Madlib involved in a project that's even sold at a large store, I know he ain't gonna sell out so I love the potential exposure he can get from working with "bigger" artists. More $ in the Madlib's pocket, the more records he can buy and use them to produce more stuff. At least I hope so...
  • Jurmainson likes this

#307 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

I have a policy on not listening to leaks if it's something I'm supremely looking forward to. There's barely anything better in the whole wide world than listening to that fresh new album after you get it in your hands.
  • ynqhead and Dirty Cyclist like this

#308 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

^ I just wish ST still had rappers...

Posted Image

I have a policy on not listening to leaks if it's something I'm supremely looking forward to. There's barely anything better in the whole wide world than listening to that fresh new album after you get it in your hands.

i tried doing that with Yeezus, and....yeah, that didn't turn out very well. but i'm also wayyyyyyy more confident in FG/M in their abilities than the clusterfuck of producers and songwriters doing everything for Kanye two weeks before the release date.

#309 Machiventa

Machiventa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:Love, Hugs, & Hip Hop Soul

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

FG obviously not better on the mic vs DOOM, but the production on this record is incredible. As for those waiting to listen until actually out, you guys don't have to feel bad if still purchasing anyway! I have the vinyl version preordered, cannot wait for that thing to ship lol

Thought you didn't like Gibbs?

#310 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Dopeness, it has that laid back hazy feel, im not in that mood today but when i get in the zone this will be perfect!!! im going to best buy to get it too!!!! cant wait to ride to this shit been a fucked up year for geech dizzle this should help! need those instrumentals so i can make my own damn piñata!!!!!!
  • James Frank. and MWBOOGIE like this

#311 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

Thought you didn't like Gibbs?

I've never said I hate him (at least I don't think I have), but I didn't understand the hype. At this point I've grown to accept that his flow is great, but I'm still not convinced he's one of the best dudes out like some people say here/elsewhere.

As far as Madlib goes though, this production is amazing to me and makes this album what it is (though really, there aren't any Madlib records where this isn't true). This is similar to my feelings with In Search of Stoney Jackson especially, but I think this album is far superior (I do like FG and the features more than SAS/crew).

Still listening to this non-stop, going to be in heavy rotation for a long time.
  • gEEchieDan likes this

#312 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

THIS SHIT IS DOPE YO!!!!! #IMSOHAPPYLOOKINASS

#313 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

Shit! Just hearing what you all have said has got me anxiously waiting for my lp to arrive. Even pitchfork gave this collab an 8.0!
  • gEEchieDan likes this

#314 jay_the_bad_kid

jay_the_bad_kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Madlib, Quasimoto, Otis Jackson Jr, Lord Quas ... oh yeah and DOOOM.

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:20 PM

"Bomb" on repeat. :)
  • gEEchieDan likes this

#315 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

album is possibly even better than expected! it's got a great flow to it. even the singles sound better to me within the context of the whole thing. Of the new tracks "High" is on repeat (I say more Danny Brown over Madlib!) "Bomb" also great. honestly can't complain about any of the tracks, I was even surprised to be enjoying the posse cut track way more than expected (even though the beat is a little drawn out and these guys aren't really a posse). The production though... definitely amazing. going to make an incredible instrumental release. I'd name individual tracks but goddamn pretty much every beat is amazing.
  • GC90 and gEEchieDan like this

#316 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

Lakers and Real are beats I keep coming back to, though every single track is fantastic.
Also I agree, we need a Danny Brown + Madlib 12" at least lol. The Ab-Soul feature makes me wish Kendrick could have done something on that Lakers beat too

#317 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:22 AM

And if it's shit you waste money, I like to know what I'm paying for, I have a thing about quality, and with the way music is saturated, I'm even more reluctant to part with cash, for me the leak has quenched my need, made my ears happy, and makes me want the extra track version, and the Instrumentals when dropped. My morals are intact enough to do things like this, some will download and hoard for the sake of it. An example, I have Dag Savages new album, in a couple of weeks, I'm seeing Blu Exile,and him, I'll buy them a drink and then give them some cash and a map to the best breakfast bar going for the next morning, hopefully his album will be on sale there and I can get it, but sometimes we don't get the grace of some stuff being pressed to vinyl, again I'm not paying for 2nd rate quality.

#318 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:28 AM

I've noticed this little trick Gibbs does quite a bit to fit Madlibs timing and flow, he suddenly starts hitting words fast that roll into each other, couple of listens, and it becomes apparent.

#319 NickleBanks

NickleBanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

Hallelu-Jah!!

Also saying the instrumental version will include some "unreleased joints".

#320 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,138 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

Posted Image

I stand by my original statement...
  • GC90, gEEchieDan and James Frank. like this

#321 Yvon

Yvon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

Solid! Even Robbes sounds good in the middle of a full length listen. Real unity on production. Hard task considering the Madlib creativity and all the feats. The only thing i could miss is some more instrumentals skits. But fuck it, it is not the point of this album.

#322 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

And if it's shit you waste money, I like to know what I'm paying for, I have a thing about quality, and with the way music is saturated, I'm even more reluctant to part with cash, for me the leak has quenched my need, made my ears happy, and makes me want the extra track version, and the Instrumentals when dropped. My morals are intact enough to do things like this, some will download and hoard for the sake of it. An example, I have Dag Savages new album, in a couple of weeks, I'm seeing Blu Exile,and him, I'll buy them a drink and then give them some cash and a map to the best breakfast bar going for the next morning, hopefully his album will be on sale there and I can get it, but sometimes we don't get the grace of some stuff being pressed to vinyl, again I'm not paying for 2nd rate quality.

Yeah but if it's a project you've been looking forward to forever and the few songs or singles that have been released are great, then it's a good chance to take. I see what you're saying, but I love that Christmas morning feeling.

#323 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

The only thing i could miss is some more instrumentals skits.

I haven't listened to OJ Simpson in a long time, but wasn't this a problem with that record? (Too many skits)

I stand by my original statement...

I dig what Jonwayne's doing, but I agree. I miss all the Oxnard/Detroit folks :(

#324 Jubito

Jubito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Interests:40 & A BLUNT, light1up, light the doobie 'till it glow like a ruby
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jubitoo

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

Listened to it entirely today and all i got to say is: WOW!!!!
An instant classic, nothing less than I expected. It seems like a good chemistry developed between Madlib and Freddie: his flow is so damn amazing on these Madlib beats, while Madlib tried to fit the sample choices thematically to Gibbs' raps - brilliant. "Real" is by far my favorite track on the album and every time I re-listen to the album in its entirety I always get stuck on it for a couple of listens.
"Cause all my enemies, I put them suckers in their place
So take them shades up off your eyes and look me in my fucking face
Cause I'm a motherfucking rare breed
The last time you gonna see a bad guy like this again

Don't reproduce nothin' but evil seeds"
I am really impatient to be able to give the instrumental version a listen!
  • James Frank. likes this

#325 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

*Still pateintly waiting until Tuesday*

*Becoming increasingly more difficult*

#326 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

Yeah but if it's a project you've been looking forward to forever and the few songs or singles that have been released are great, then it's a good chance to take. I see what you're saying, but I love that Christmas morning feeling.

Ha ha ! I take it opening presents, rather than some beast of a hangover, and everyones voice cutting through your head, patients is good though, a dam hard trait to master.
  • Chason likes this

#327 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,138 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

*Still pateintly waiting until Tuesday*

*Becoming increasingly more difficult*

They put it up on iTunes yesterday...

#328 bamajoe

bamajoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

"Real" is by far my favorite track on the album and every time I re-listen to the album in its entirety I always get stuck on it for a couple of listens.

And the beat at the end of Bomb :wacko:
  • GC90 likes this

#329 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

An instant classic

I've always wondered how something can become an instant classic without the test of time. Not saying you're wrong but I never thought of donuts, the unseen or madvillainy as "classics" upon first listen. How does something become classic I guess is my question.

#330 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

They put it up on iTunes yesterday...

Hmmm. I was unaware because I was going to get the physical copy from best buy and haven't been checking communist itunes, but now I may have to get blunted and enjoy my Friday night alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users