#271 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

They played 'the whole album' last night minus a few cuts! Holy shit. Cocaine Piñata is going to be absolutely incredible. Gibbs mentioned that the title of the record IS Cocaine Piñata but because they're trying to sell it in stores like 'Wal-Mart' they had to just put Piñata on there; very understandable. Freddie Corleone did his thing, every track he performed he had Otis cut the beat, usually on the second verse, to showcase his skills as an an MC. Like I have always said, subject matter aside, when it comes to technicalities he is one of the most talented cats in the game right now. I noticed that about 85-90% of the audience was there only because of FG, lots of young fans (as in under 21); this collaboration is going to expose The Madlib to a whole new audience and generation of rap listeners!

The Madlib's set was quite good. There is a reason I will let the TSA fondle my nutsack, board a plane and fly thousands of miles to see Otis perform... Unreleased Beats! I'm not talking about stuff that he's planning on putting out anytime soon, he even said 'You'll never hear this again!' He played an Obey track and a Prifessionals track that really were the highlights of my evening. His DJ set was only about 30 mins with Gibbs then performing for about 50, but it was totally worth the 20 bucks.

After the show I was able to run into Egon and asked him what happened to the Denver Piñata. He said, 'They fucked up and hung it in some random park without telling anyone, three days ago!' We chopped it up for a second and then I headed home. If I wasn't completely and utterly broke I definitely would have copped one of those tour shirts, make sure to bring an extra $25 when they come through your city so you don't miss out.

Thanks for the write up. Super lame they aren't coming up to the Northwest, would have loved to see this. Noticed the beat stop/FG acapella in MW's vids, sounded great. Still not convinced he's one of the more talented dudes out right now, but I've grown to appreciate his work more -- that Robes track especially made it clear he can ride a Madlib beat better than some of these other dudes. Interesting that most folks were out to see FG, it's great Madlib will be getting more exposure through this project it is sounding like (especially with their stuff being sold at Walmart/Best Buy/etc). Happy his name featured on front/photo on back, will be hard for people to overlook that.

Sucks no Pinata in Denver btw, was looking forward to seeing your pics :(

#272 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:26 PM

Posted Image

Propane Piñata?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-36Xzd57d-Q

Edit: lol, got a retweet from FG awesome
  • DJ Primate, Chason and James Frank. like this

#273 NickleBanks

NickleBanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:31 PM

With all due respect to you Sunny (I'm sure you would have bodied that zebra like a lion) and all the die hard fans who "deserve it", I think it's kind of awesome that they fucked up and didn't tell anyone about the location of the pinata. I like the idea that some completely random person found it and smashed it open. Talk about exposing Madlib to a new audience. I bet whoever cracked it open was totally surprised/confused if not completely shit baked thinking the drugs were real maybe ... hopefully they had their minds blown by the music too.

Big thanks for the reports on the shows too! About as close as a guy on an subarctic island gets to a rap show these days.
  • James Frank. likes this

#274 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

Man I can't wait for this tour. Anyone going to the SF stop?

#275 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

egon confirmed on twitter there will be a separate instrumental release of the album!
  • GC90 and Chason like this

#276 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

egon confirmed on twitter there will be a separate instrumental release of the album!

This is fantastic news, will be interesting to hear others use some of these beats.

#277 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

Hallelu-Jah!!

#278 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

Has anyone checked out Gibbs tour schedule... Bemidji, MN!
Get your hustle on.
http://www.freddiegibbs.com/shows/

#279 Abracadaver

Abracadaver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:48 PM

He is coming to Arcata, CA in May. Unfortunately its not on the tour with Madlib. It is with Tech N9ne as the headliner. Probably sit that one out.

#280 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

No stop in Oregon yet again. Oregon loves music but music hates Oregon. Gibbs is going from Minnesota to North Dakota, to Idaho, to Washington for 2 nights, and then skipping over Oregon to hit Cali. Portland would have a way better turnout than Lewiston, Idaho or Bismarck, North Dakota. We got tons of great beer and some serious sticky. Why no love?
  • GC90 likes this

#281 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

No stop in Oregon yet again. Oregon loves music but music hates Oregon. Gibbs is going from Minnesota to North Dakota, to Idaho, to Washington for 2 nights, and then skipping over Oregon to hit Cali. Portland would have a way better turnout than Lewiston, Idaho or Bismarck, North Dakota. We got tons of great beer and some serious sticky. Why no love?

Because the Hipster promoters are too cool for good music...

If ST isn't coming through your section it has absolutely nothing to with the artists making that decision. Otis and Corleone didn't sit around a table and decide where they wanted to go.

'The Dream of the 1890's is alive...'

#282 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

Because the Hipster promoters are too cool for good music...

If ST isn't coming through your section it has absolutely nothing to with the artists making that decision. Otis and Corleone didn't sit around a table and decide where they wanted to go.

'The Dream of the 1890's is alive...'

This town was built by hippies and hipsters and they'll be damned if anyone destroys it but themselves. There's a real nice underground hip hop community out here though, which is why I get bummed out when the bus don't stop in Portland. I'm not blaming anyone, just being a bitch.
  • GC90 likes this

#283 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

Was his posted?
http://potholesinmyb...campaign=buffer
listen-to-freddie-gibbs-young-jeezy-diss-produced-by-madlib

#284 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

This town was built by hippies and hipsters and they'll be damned if anyone destroys it but themselves. There's a real nice underground hip hop community out here though, which is why I get bummed out when the bus don't stop in Portland. I'm not blaming anyone, just being a bitch.

Have you thought of promoting? I'm not being funny. Back in the day I got into promoting because the town I lived in never brought anyone worth a damn through. You should get in touch with artists and venues and try to kick up some dust! Especially with tours like that, you'd most likely always break even or make a little dough. Be the hero Portland deserves.
  • NickleBanks likes this

#285 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

Was his posted?

one of my favorite beats off the album... (the second one, although both are straight fire; i heard this on that Madlib Boiler Room set and thought these were two separate songs)

#286 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

I'm not blaming anyone, just being a bitch.

You need to be blaming those promoters. Seriously, they deserve it.

#287 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

I'm not blaming anyone, just being a bitch.

Posted Image
  • Chason likes this

#288 khadafi@portland

khadafi@portland

Rookie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

ST used to show Portland love. When I was living in Portland, we got the Bounce and Chrome Children tours back in the say (I think those were the names). Berbati's isn't showing ST love anymore? I know Portland Police Bureau has launched a war on Hip Hop up there too. It's probably becoming an unattractive spot.

At least Gibbs is coming to Salt Lake, where I'm at now. Well, Magna is basically Salt Lake lol.
  • GC90 likes this

#289 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

one of my favorite beats off the album... (the second one, although both are straight fire; i heard this on that Madlib Boiler Room set and thought these were two separate songs)

The first beat for me was the one I kept having to repeat on that Boiler Room appearance (that and the High track with Danny Brown)

ST used to show Portland love. When I was living in Portland, we got the Bounce and Chrome Children tours back in the say (I think those were the names). Berbati's isn't showing ST love anymore?

Got these posters for Christmas from friend in Portland (recently moved to Beaverton to work at Discogs)

Posted Image Posted Image

#290 jay_the_bad_kid

jay_the_bad_kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Madlib, Quasimoto, Otis Jackson Jr, Lord Quas ... oh yeah and DOOOM.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

Album is a definite banger.
  • GC90 likes this

#291 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

http://www.reddit.co...ocaine_piñata/

found this while looking at various nsfw subreddits.
anyone privy to this?

#292 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

http://www.reddit.co...aine_piñata/

found this while looking at various nsfw subreddits.
anyone privy to this?

Listening to the album right now, I need to listen to it more before saying this confidently but I'm thinking this is the best Madlib record after Unseen/MV

Edit: Listened to it a couple times now, starting to think as far as the production goes I'd say this is just as good if not better than MV :ohmy:

#293 jay_the_bad_kid

jay_the_bad_kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Madlib, Quasimoto, Otis Jackson Jr, Lord Quas ... oh yeah and DOOOM.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:09 PM

Been leaked a couple places plus on YouTube also.

#294 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:25 AM

[Patiently waits to not steal $ from The Madlib...]
  • James Frank. likes this

#295 Goodz047

Goodz047

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Interests:Wax

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:46 AM

Ahhhh I've been patiently waiting for this album for a minute now. Do I wait for the LP or listen to the leak

#296 khadafi@portland

khadafi@portland

Rookie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:56 AM

The first beat for me was the one I kept having to repeat on that Boiler Room appearance (that and the High track with Danny Brown)

Got these posters for Christmas from friend in Portland (recently moved to Beaverton to work at Discogs)

Posted Image Posted Image

That's awesome! How are you liking Beaverton? Great place to live and raise a family, while being very close to the city. If you're not from there, Portland is a mecca (in it's own way) for music.

Both tours were great! One of them, Madlib or Oh No couldn't make it due to a death in the family. The next one however, we got Madlib/Karriem Riggins to perform and Wildchild was kickin it at the ticket stand. I wish ST Hip-Hop artists would tour more in the states vs Europe. Europe gets all the love, lol. So far here (SLC), we've gotten the Soul tour and I'm thankful for that.

#297 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:40 AM

^ I just wish ST still had rappers...

Ahhhh I've been patiently waiting for this album for a minute now. Do I wait for the LP or listen to the leak

Yeah, we've all been waiting since the first announcement two and a half years ago. If you could make it that long are a few more days really going to kill you?
  • GC90 likes this

#298 jax green

jax green

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:00 AM

Dang, look at all these Portland people now! Weren't too many in here way back when. Love it.

#299 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

I'm becoming increasingly excited about this album. I've only heard the tracks released on vinyl, but I'm feeling it. Are the other tracks on the same level? Also, aren't there a few tracks on a bestbuy exclusive? Thought I read something about it on here.

Dang, look at all these Portland people now! Weren't too many in here way back when. Love it.

Rip City Uprise. I grew up here but only got into this music scene about 5-6 years ago (I'm a bit of a youngster, only 23). Spent 4 years in Phoenix during that time but couldn't stand it after living here, so I moved back this past summer.

I'd say this is just as good if not better than MV :ohmy:

Forreal?! (Begins drooling and gets a semi)

#300 Jubito

Jubito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Interests:40 & A BLUNT, light1up, light the doobie 'till it glow like a ruby
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jubitoo

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

Was his posted?

WOO!! Thanks for posting this, was curious about it since Madlib dropped it in his Boiler Room set. Fucking hyped for this release!!!
  • GC90 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users