DOOM REMIXES

66 replies to this topic

#1 SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

Okay here is the deal there are a handful of DOOM tracks that have acapellas available to them. There is a thread in the ST section that speaks on this specifically. Someone brought up the idea that STMB should make a sort of DOOM remix project.

This is my proposal. Each week someone puts up an acapella of one of those DOOM tracks. Each participant then makes a beat to said acapella and then you guys all vote on that shit like a normal BB.

Does this intrigue any of you guys?

I'll leave the rule making up to one of the more seasoned BB veterans. I just thought it was a pretty cool idea and would like to see what you cats can bring to the table.

#2 nac

Rookie

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

i think its a great idea, dooms one of my favs.

#3 MellowYouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

"now that sounds like a Great idea"
Posted Image

i think this would be dope and we could totally make this happen. i say we add these acappellas to each weeks battle and get this done right.

so 10 DOOM remixes starting from today. and ill see if someone/me wants to mix these all together so we can make a mixed and unmixed release. once everythings done, well have one big mixtape with all the DOOM remixes and a seperate beattape with all the remixes stand-alone

what say you guys!?

#4 ODK

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/obi-dan-kenobi

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:46 AM

That is an amazing Idea, get it rolling, the mix tape idea is fantastic as well dam good suggestion Mellow!!, be nice if it could be done so the energy of these doesn't end up like the battles themselves, there is always confusion, within the battles, with ruling, and the voting sucks, been here a year and I have never seen all the beatmakers vote, what I mean is, there can be 100 entries, and 30 votes, be cool, if the vote thing was taken away from us, or just not being able to see what others have voted for, like a proper poll, where you can't see the outcome until you vote.

Sunny you speak sense, I'd like to see you set up the rules and stuff like that, I'll give you a hand if needed, like to see Mellow involved as well, your a veteran, and most of them have buggered off, or come back for one beat and disappear again.

#5 MellowYouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:29 AM

im glad this is getting started and i appreciate the support obi. i havent been in these battles longer than butta slick, jondis or sft, but i like to chill here when i can

next step would be to get sunny or someone to post up a new thread with the first DOOM acapella and sample to flip. and think up some rules/deadline so we can get this going!

#6 Opin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:03 AM

Yes.. YES lets do this.

#7 ODK

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:54 AM

View PostMellowYouth, on 15 July 2013 - 01:29 AM, said:

im glad this is getting started and i appreciate the support obi. i havent been in these battles longer than butta slick, jondis or sft, but i like to chill here when i can

next step would be to get sunny or someone to post up a new thread with the first DOOM acapella and sample to flip. and think up some rules/deadline so we can get this going!
Yeah I'd love to see Sunny involved/oversea it , be really nice for the whole board to get connected, I mean we are Family at the end of it all. Even if the youngens keep starting dam Jay- Z threads I still Love em!!! and maybe do it every 2 weeks, we get the best flips in that way, people can take some time over their beats. SFT exactly what I mean where is he, where the Hell is the King Of Swing!!

#8 SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

I'm glad you guys are liking this idea and I appreciate the support from mellow and Dr. Phil.

I don't want to overload the beat battlers with too much extra side work, especially since I think just as much time and work should be put into these little battles as the main event.

So how about we use this thread over the next couple days to just hammer out logistics, possible rules, and what voting should look like.

One idea I have is to not start the DOOM battles the same day the regular battles start. Since you guys have to have your beats up by Wed how about the DOOM vocals get posted on Wednesday morning. Beats should be posted by 11:59 pm PT Sunday night and voting can take place Monday-Tuesday. Winner gets to post the next acapella and sample source.

As for the mixtape/ep idea, I'm feeling that, but I'm thinking it should be put together with just the winners from each week. A best of the best STMB DOOM remix project that the whole community takes part in creating!!

#9 ODK

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

View PostSunnyMeadowz, on 15 July 2013 - 06:51 AM, said:

I'm glad you guys are liking this idea and I appreciate the support from mellow and Dr. Phil.

I don't want to overload the beat battlers with too much extra side work, especially since I think just as much time and work should be put into these little battles as the main event.

So how about we use this thread over the next couple days to just hammer out logistics, possible rules, and what voting should look like.

One idea I have is to not start the DOOM battles the same day the regular battles start. Since you guys have to have your beats up by Wed how about the DOOM vocals get posted on Wednesday morning. Beats should be posted by 11:59 pm PT Sunday night and voting can take place Monday-Tuesday. Winner gets to post the next acapella and sample source.

As for the mixtape/ep idea, I'm feeling that, but I'm thinking it should be put together with just the winners from each week. A best of the best STMB DOOM remix project that the whole community takes part in creating!!

Yeah 30 versions of the same beat, oh my god, Brick wall getting pounded by the forehead jumps to mind here, def got to be the best of the best, think thursday or friday would work really well, thats the lull point with the other battle, beats are still getting entered on a thursday morning up till 6,00am due to it being global, so their maybe a little clash, I think also have it totally sample based no synths, lets keep this to Hiphop, and the same ruling each week, the normal battle is so confusing now someone has actually asked what a battle sample was, bless him. :lol:

#10 James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

should we decide which acapella to use first?
my vote is the one for "Raedawn" by Vik Vaughn, but that's just me.

#11 SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostJames Frank., on 15 July 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

should we decide which acapella to use first?
my vote is the one for "Raedawn" by Vik Vaughn, but that's just me.

Fuckit! Sounds good to me. Speaking on that. Does someone have all the DOOM acapellas in one file by chance. If not looseys are cool to. If anyone wants to throw them shit's my way I'll save them on my laptop so we have all the acapellas before we even start this madness. If anyone would be so kind as to just send any links straight to my messenger here on STMB.

#12 ODK

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostSunnyMeadowz, on 15 July 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

Fuckit! Sounds good to me. Speaking on that. Does someone have all the DOOM acapellas in one file by chance. If not looseys are cool to. If anyone wants to throw them shit's my way I'll save them on my laptop so we have all the acapellas before we even start this madness. If anyone would be so kind as to just send any links straight to my messenger here on STMB.
Sorry guys I'm lame with any acapellas, I hunted Dooms once but could only find the ones on youtube to convert, so I never Bothered, and OOh, OOh, if they be wav files, don't rape them to bits by turning them into MP3's, that underwater, youtube compression is a nightmare, need the purest wav's going. I think Sunny should hold the files and be the only one that knows what is going to be posted, keeps that excitement going, the wonderment of a child walking through the best toy shop (I'll stop there as I just remembered those dam parents never actually fulfill that toy lust or get pissed off cos they got to fork cash out just to shut you up). It would be cool that way, me thinks, just noticed the Dr Phil Ha ha!!

#13 deLarge

Rookie

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/delargeone

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

I think this sounds like a great idea, especially the final mixtape idea. I've looked for acapellas but like ODK I've only found the youtube ones, gonna need to send someone dangerously deep into the internet

#14 SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

View PostdeLarge, on 15 July 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

I think this sounds like a great idea, especially the final mixtape idea. I've looked for acapellas but like ODK I've only found the youtube ones, gonna need to send someone dangerously deep into the internet

I've got a call out to a fixer right now. Hopefully we hear back soon. And if fortune smiles down on us we should have a whole trove of DOOM verses to mess with.

#15 James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

i have a lot of them on my cpu, but i'm pretty sure they're all ripped from YouTube. i really can't discern much of a diff between those and "pure" acapellas...but hey, to each his own. all i know is that some of these are pretty rare in physical form, so the fact that they're available at all on the internet via YouTube is a godsend rather than something to nit-pick about. maybe someone can hit up Grip Grand for his DOOM 12"'s from that last project ;)

#16 1instrument

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:guns, food, helicopters, candy, polo

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

I might be able get some legit DOOM acapellas. I'll let yall know asap :)

#17 ODK

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:04 AM

View PostJames Frank., on 15 July 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

i have a lot of them on my cpu, but i'm pretty sure they're all ripped from YouTube. i really can't discern much of a diff between those and "pure" acapellas...but hey, to each his own. all i know is that some of these are pretty rare in physical form, so the fact that they're available at all on the internet via YouTube is a godsend rather than something to nit-pick about. maybe someone can hit up Grip Grand for his DOOM 12"'s from that last project ;)
The thing with youtube is there is only 3, you take a 16 bit wav, convert for youtube, then burn your copy of that you just get digital distortion, dam right I'm fussy I want us all sounding good. That Grip Grand idea though Holmes I'm liking that.

#18 SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

My fixer hit me back last night and should have most of the acapellas in my inbox within the next few days. Glad to see this is coming together.

Okay now something to chew on.

Originally, my thoughts were to just put the acapella up and let dudes do whatever the hell they wanted to remix the track. Outside instruments, samples, drum breaks, and what not. But then I thought that might make for a way to chaotic scenario.

So this is more what I'm thinking it will look like: The winner from the previous week gets to pick whichever DOOM acapella that hasn't yet been used from the short but sweet master list we will soon have. That person will also get to pick the sample source and edit the rules to their heart's desire. So basically exactly like the regular battles only with a specific vocal track that each participant has to use.

Seems pretty simple/easy. Hopefully if the villain smiles upon us we can get this rolling next Wednesday.

#19 Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

so who picks the sample for the first doom battle?? I'll volunteer sunny, i know you got that sweet record collection, i seen pictures!

#20 ODK

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:32 AM

Yeah I'd like to see Sunny start it off, he got this whole thing going, can we get ladies, and vomit done first though, as I'm sure everyone must of used, know or heard of them, then as we progress be nice wondering what we get, get the obvious ones done first, if ya getz me drift!! Last thing we need is this becoming like the other battle, where it just seems battle done next one, and becomes stale.

#21 Opin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:40 AM

It would also be great if you guys could post the BPM of the original track, imo its very hard to fit a random BPM beat to an acapella, unless you can teach me how!

#22 Beatronome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/beatronome

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:30 AM

Made a txt file with all acapella's I have a while ago, I've got Gazillion Ear, My Favorite Ladies and Rock Co.Kane Flow floating around on a hard drive somewhere. I'll look into it this evening.

#23 ODK

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

View PostOpin, on 17 July 2013 - 01:40 AM, said:

It would also be great if you guys could post the BPM of the original track, imo its very hard to fit a random BPM beat to an acapella, unless you can teach me how!
Theres loads of dj tools and torrents you can get, Deckadance, PCDJ DEX, drag your file in, press play, job done.

#24 ODK

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

View PostBeatronome, on 17 July 2013 - 02:30 AM, said:

Made a txt file with all acapella's I have a while ago, I've got Gazillion Ear, My Favorite Ladies and Rock Co.Kane Flow floating around on a hard drive somewhere. I'll look into it this evening.
Ha ha everyone got Ladies see!! :lol:

#25 James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

View PostOpin, on 17 July 2013 - 01:40 AM, said:

that's part of the evolution of the producer...haha, you gotta learn it at some point in your career. for me, i listen to how it starts on the original beat, and then use that to gauge if i need to click/drag the vocals to compensate for any 1/8 or 1/16 note rests or anything in the beginning.

the shitty thing about mixing vocals is that for whatever reason, it's sometimes next to impossible to sync up something completely-- so in those cases i find myself literally chopping up the vocals bar-by-bar to arrange them in a way that makes sense with the beat i made.

#26 Opin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

View PostJames Frank., on 17 July 2013 - 06:14 AM, said:

that's part of the evolution of the producer...haha, you gotta learn it at some point in your career. for me, i listen to how it starts on the original beat, and then use that to gauge if i need to click/drag the vocals to compensate for any 1/8 or 1/16 note rests or anything in the beginning.

the shitty thing about mixing vocals is that for whatever reason, it's sometimes next to impossible to sync up something completely-- so in those cases i find myself literally chopping up the vocals bar-by-bar to arrange them in a way that makes sense with the beat i made.

I do exactly this, but then just like you say, the vocals go all over the place in sudden parts and only get worse lol.
Especially with DOOM's flow, his offbeat flow will be very hard for me, but i'm up for all challenges.

#27 James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

View PostOpin, on 17 July 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

the vocals go all over the place in sudden parts and only get worse lol.

another thing i'll do when i first start is try and beatmatch the tempo with the original track. if you can get that far, then you're 90% of the way there.

#28 buttaslick

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • Interests:if they know the sample i`ve failed
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/ buttaslick

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

If this happens I am in, this is a great idea and it would be cool to hear peoples take on some of my favorite tracks

#29 ODK

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:27 AM

It is happening, Butta I hope you get involved as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

#30 Opin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:49 AM

View PostJames Frank., on 17 July 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

another thing i'll do when i first start is try and beatmatch the tempo with the original track. if you can get that far, then you're 90% of the way there.

Great advice, thank you!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users