Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:05 AM

"At least misspell the name or some shit."

Good idea.

#452 jay_the_bad_kid

jay_the_bad_kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Madlib, Quasimoto, Otis Jackson Jr, Lord Quas ... oh yeah and DOOOM.

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

• QuincyBanks, Dirty Cyclist and Jubito like this

#453 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Interests:música
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

Stop calling out samples on message boards and WhoSampled and the likelihood of The Madlib being sued dwindles. I'm pretty sure he said as much in that Benji B interview a few months back.

(This is just a general statement and not directed at anyone in particular.)

Preach

#454 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

Dunno, Below the Heavens is better than anything FG has put out (including Pinata if you take away Madlib beats). Nowadays though FG does seem to be working harder and whatnot vs Blu who has been pretty stagnant.

Blu's a dope emcee, no question, but he puts out way too much music.  Internet or no internet, the distribution channel having been revolutionized or not, even die-hard fans of his have to be finding it difficult to keep up with his releases.  I haven't listened to any Blu project outside of Below the Heavens yet, but just looking at his catalog and the rate at which he releases projects certainly does not encourage me to do so - - there's no end!

#455 QuincyBanks

QuincyBanks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:48 PM

Blu's a dope emcee, no question, but he puts out way too much music.  Internet or no internet, the distribution channel having been revolutionized or not, even die-hard fans of his have to be finding it difficult to keep up with his releases.  I haven't listened to any Blu project outside of Below the Heavens yet, but just looking at his catalog and the rate at which he releases projects certainly does not encourage me to do so - - there's no end!

HerFavoriteColour was good, but beyond that I didn't enjoy too much...

#456 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:16 AM

Actually went to a Blu show in Miami tonight.  He performed in a hole-in-a-wall venue (these usually make for better shows) and did his thing.  Granted the stage wasn't all that big, I thought his stage presence could have been better - - more left to right movement and so forth.  He took time to sign merch and took tons of pictures w/ fans -- gotta love a well-known artist who doesn't have the God complex pervading throughout the industry today.

Interesting note: MED, who'd been on tour with him, didn't show.  I've heard they had a conflict at some point, resulting in MED being left off the remaining stops of the tour.  

I'm sharing a couple of photos from the show on my Instagram, check 'em out if you'd like: http://instagram.com/glass_pinata.

#457 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:34 AM

WHAT!? MED isn't on the tour anymore?! gtfo!!!! Bot is there anyway you can confirm this? They're supposed to come through Denver next week and I probably won't go if I can't get my MEDicine.

#458 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

^ yeah, i'd like to know this as well for the exact same reasons.

#459 ST Bot

ST Bot

STMB Official

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

^ yeah, i'd like to know this as well for the exact same reasons.

WHAT!? MED isn't on the tour anymore?! gtfo!!!! Bot is there anyway you can confirm this? They're supposed to come through Denver next week and I probably won't go if I can't get my MEDicine.

Just got word, MED is off the tour.  http://www.stonesthr.../med-tour-dates

• OfficeTime8889 likes this

#460 Mr Teeth

Mr Teeth

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:09 PM

Düsseldorf is a pretty nasty beat!

• gEEchieDan likes this

#461 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/1stn3rd

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:36 PM

So, pretty late to the game here, but I picked up this one as part of my Christmas CD haul.

Initial impressions:

- Not feeling it as much as other Beat Konducta, undoubtedly because of the source material. My favorite BK is India. Different mastering than was used on past Madlib projects as well.

- Thought it was funny that 'Lib is pulling clips off Youtube now (the "Gimme a Dollar" thing). So much for analog purity...

- Really crazy and far out there at certain points, like the track on Vol. 2 that sounds like three different songs being cut together (sorry, I've only listened to this once). Madlib's gotten even more fast and loose with his shit, as if that was possible. I guess that's old news since the Medicine Show thing, but that was around the time I stopped listening.

- It sucks that CDs are given such shitty packaging now. All the CDs I've been buying up recently are made of really thin plastic and the case almost invariably breaks, sometimes just when opening it.

- Found this when I searched 'STMB Rock Konducta.' First academic paper on Madlib I've ever seen. A sign of things to come?

Will listen more, I predict this one will be a grower...but I've also got Neptune's Lair, the new Panda Bear album, and two John Frusciante albums to work through.

• James Frank. likes this

#462 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:51 PM

So, pretty late to the game here, but I picked up this one as part of my Christmas CD haul.

Initial impressions:

- Not feeling it as much as other Beat Konducta, undoubtedly because of the source material. My favorite BK is India. Different mastering than was used on past Madlib projects as well.

- Thought it was funny that 'Lib is pulling clips off Youtube now (the "Gimme a Dollar" thing). So much for analog purity...

- Really crazy and far out there at certain points, like the track on Vol. 2 that sounds like three different songs being cut together (sorry, I've only listened to this once). Madlib's gotten even more fast and loose with his shit, as if that was possible. I guess that's old news since the Medicine Show thing, but that was around the time I stopped listening.

Did you dig the MMS 6 mix much? I freakin loved that and RK was my second favorite release of the year just behind Pinata. Madlib fan at work didn't really dig MMS 6 much and wasn't feeling RK much either, so figure it might just be due to the source material as you mention? 

Funny because BK in India is probably my least favorite, I've never been big on the India samples much myself (there are still some incredible beats on that record though)

#463 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:03 PM

Unfortunately I was one of the people who was way too intimidated by the volume of material with the Medicine Show and just skipped it entirely. There are a few tracks I've listened to, but I have no idea which one is 6,5,4,3 etc. I guess you're talking about the Brain Wreck one?

RK will probably grow on me, though. I'd love to know what gear he was using on various tracks, like which ones he was using the small beat boxes (303, etc) vs. the 1200, or even a computer, which I remember reading he started using. It's hard to tell differences from listener's perspective.

#464 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:05 PM

i'm glad that someone took the time to actually write an academic essay on Madlib of all people...but tbh, that paper wasn't written very well.

To fully appreciate diasporic undercurrents in the Medicine Show albums it is just as important for me to emphasize a creative process fundamentally shaped by studio space, the use of ‘old school’ digital technology, and marijuana consumption.

is the marijuana really relevant at all in this discussion about the re-contextualization of traditional African musical elements through the very music Madlib creates via sampling?  the first four pages pretty much just read like his Wikipedia entry...but hey, at least he tried.  i think that paper could be revised into something potent if he went back and gave it some TLC

• GC90 likes this

#465 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:33 AM

rock konducta is godly. rock konducta is #1.

#466 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:49 AM

ynqhead posted an academic paper on BK in Africa a couple years ago. Not sure if that's the one 1st linked to or not but that guy put an emphasis on The Madlib's marijuana habits.
  • PsychedelicGod likes this

#467 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:09 PM

There's probably enough fodder to write academic papers about Madlib for years to come. But I don't know that it would accomplish much when you can get it straight from the source by just listening to his music.

• Dirty Cyclist likes this

#468 translatingthezone

translatingthezone

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:36 PM

i'm glad that someone took the time to actually write an academic essay on Madlib of all people...but tbh, that paper wasn't written very well.

is the marijuana really relevant at all in this discussion about the re-contextualization of traditional African musical elements through the very music Madlib creates via sampling?  the first four pages pretty much just read like his Wikipedia entry...but hey, at least he tried.  i think that paper could be revised into something potent if he went back and gave it some TLC

I appreciate that you liked and didn't like the piece.  True indeed, the paper needs some love & polish. 

I've been going back n forth on the question of marijuana consumption and the creative process...Seriously though, when it comes to Madlib how can you not address the fact that this brother likes to blaze, especially when he is making his music? 

#469 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

i don't know ... that "gimme a dollar" video got me over here vexed because of how a lot of my people have been reduced to this.  my bad for talking off subject.  please continue the conversation.

• gEEchieDan and Dirty Cyclist like this

#470 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:59 PM

Several spins later...

Was listening to this, then for completely unrelated reasons was listening to Lumpy Gravy, by Frank Zappa (on the original vinyl, bitch). There are FZ samples all over Rock Konducta. Really blew my mind when I first noticed it.

Then I started thinking about it. Madlib and FZ are pretty similar in a way. Both are, like, cultural remixers. Both doing collage. Both incorporating humor as an important element.

In other news, I still don't really get the praise for RK. It's cool and all, but Madlib's more jazz-related stuff is on a whole nother level to me. Part of me feels like this was almost a gimmicky way of poking fun at Madlib's white fanbase. 

• Dirty Cyclist likes this

#471 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:53 PM

There's all sorts of "academic" papers written on hip-hop

"Lateral Dynamics Processing in Hip-Hop" got referenced in that paper

The way I see it, he smokes weed to come up with crazy ass ways to use gear and compressors

FZ kicks ass, and I mean Pete Rock gave a Talking Heads shout out back in the 90s so it's not really "white music" it's just good music. I figured RK was somewhat inevitable, Kendrick and Imagine Dragons, D'angelo's got guitar now. Times are changing

#472 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:23 PM

Then I started thinking about it. Madlib and FZ are pretty similar in a way. Both are, like, cultural remixers. Both doing collage. Both incorporating humor as an important element.

Another similarity is Madlib and FZ get their fans to listen to music outside of their standard genres. FZ got me listening to his "classical" music and Madlib gets me to at least try anything he puts out... soul, rock, reggae...

• GPBear likes this

#473 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:18 PM

Part of me feels like this was almost a gimmicky way of poking fun at Madlib's white fanbase. 

Madlib has been using prog rock samples for a long time now. He's obsessed with prog rock, kraut rock, industrial, and some other genres you might be surprised about. To me his prog rock beats are some of his best (right up there with his incredible soul flips, but more unique). The Madlib put a lot of love and effort into this one, and it hardly got ANY hype at all (outside the boards), definitely not overrated.

• GC90 and Dirty Cyclist like this

#474 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:10 PM

the-further-adventures-of-lord-quas.jpg

Wildman Fischer LA Legend/Zappa discoveree far left, "Freak Out" by Mothers of Invention. Mix in some dilla, and Le Planete Sauvage.

• gEEchieDan likes this

#475 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:32 AM

Yeah, there's also a photo of madlib's studio with that wild man fischer album displayed prominently, so Lib may be a bigger Zappa fan we think. Someone should ask him about that in an interview.

#476 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:13 PM

TF: Tell me about it! How important is the artwork for your records?

M: Well, it has to fit. A lot of the artwork just comes from pictures in my room or whatever. Like the Quasimoto album with the Frank Zappa bubble… This is stuff I look at all the time and surrounds me. I was living with Jeff Jank who does all the artwork, and we just listened to tons of Zappa.

TF: When I was a teenager I used to go to Zappa concerts when he was playing with Ruth Underwood and George Duke.

M: You got to love Zappa and Beefheart, The GTOs, Wild Man Fischer and George Duke… Zappa made me study all that stuff even more.

#477 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:32 AM

$2 Zappa download: http://www.concertva...1978-early.html

#478 Cheel

Cheel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC AND TING
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/cheel

Posted 14 February 2015 - 03:36 PM

I had a zappa documentary that I was going to sample some stuff from, but my recording ended up with mad electrical interference somehow, and I've already deleted the file so can't re-record.

I guess I would have just been walking in the Bad Kid's footsteps anyway

I was going to post this in the Crates, but here will do I guess. Some of those 'classic albums' docos can be a sample goldmine. They pretty often pull out the old master tapes and pull the faders down to listen to a few tracks at a time etc.

This one had a bit where they pulled all the instruments out and just had 20secs or so of Zappa acappella, it would have been good

• James Frank. and Dirty Cyclist like this

#479 NickleBanks

NickleBanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:06 PM

anyone got any insight on the connection between Madlib's "LAX to JFK" and Premo's "JFK 2 LAX"?

Not sure but sounds like Madlib completely rebuilt it his own way but basically made a tribute / cover of the earlier Gang Starr track... both are killer.  I would say Madlib may have even done better than the o.g.  What do you think?

• James Frank. likes this

#480 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:12 PM

yeah it's a supremes song, madlib always does that interpolation ish

but i have to disagree, i think Premo's drums knock harder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users