• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mattb1191

mattb1191

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:02 PM

hey guys here's a couple beats i've been messing with, really my first try doing anything so nothing too fancy. I use just FL studio xxl edition 7 and just random samples (except 4 uses no samples). I would really appreciate comments and criticism cause i'd like to know how to get better at doing this and im thinking about getting more into like an mpc or 303 or something cause i like the idea of having a physical instrument to deal with rather than just a program. PS i can give the list of samples if anyones interested.

http://www.myspace.com/madukes1191

i'd say 3 is probably my favorite out of the bunch, but probably just cause of the bassline i took from a medeski martin and wood song

#2 Dialog

Dialog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:making music,crate diggin,traveling

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

i'll check em when i get home im in school right now.

#3 H.J.Kitten

H.J.Kitten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:30 AM

cool for first beats. drums on 3 need to be up more in the mix i think, like the bass line tho.
2 was to cheeky for me though. lay off jimi! he's too good to sample!

#4 hot_cocoa

hot_cocoa

flow slow as mongo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:12 AM

hey guys here's a couple beats i've been messing with, really my first try doing anything so nothing too fancy. I use just FL studio xxl edition 7 and just random samples (except 4 uses no samples). I would really appreciate comments and criticism cause i'd like to know how to get better at doing this and im thinking about getting more into like an mpc or 303 or something cause i like the idea of having a physical instrument to deal with rather than just a program. PS i can give the list of samples if anyones interested.

http://www.myspace.com/madukes1191

i'd say 3 is probably my favorite out of the bunch, but probably just cause of the bassline i took from a medeski martin and wood song

really likin 1 my only suggestion is some more variety, dont be afraid to chop those drums and mix em up

#5 Dialog

Dialog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:04 PM

2 is raw and 3 is chillin. good first attempt.

#6 mattb1191

mattb1191

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:41 PM

cool for first beats. drums on 3 need to be up more in the mix i think, like the bass line tho.
2 was to cheeky for me though. lay off jimi! he's too good to sample!

haha yea man i just had an idea to use that little two note riff from if 6 was 9 and i fooled with some voodoo child samples just for the hell of it

just added a new one, called "5"...found two really nice ahmad jamal samples and through them together quick, except i have no idea what to do in terms of drums so i just put a little pattern over it except i dont think thats what it should be...any suggestions?

#7 H.J.Kitten

H.J.Kitten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:06 PM

5 is very nice man. the drums are ok. maybe use some quite chilled sampled but not too chopped live drums instead? anyway keep makin beats man i'm enjoying them!

#8 3 Degrees of Parker Posey

3 Degrees of Parker Posey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:51 AM

are you shifting your hi-hats? the drums sound a little stiff. try moving the hats by like 1/16th or 1/32nd note so they don't all hit the at the same spot on every beat of the song. messing with quantization (timing) and velocity (volume) of notes will add more funk to your beats. i've heard much worse though

#9 mattb1191

mattb1191

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:40 AM

are you shifting your hi-hats? the drums sound a little stiff. try moving the hats by like 1/16th or 1/32nd note so they don't all hit the at the same spot on every beat of the song. messing with quantization (timing) and velocity (volume) of notes will add more funk to your beats. i've heard much worse though

yea i know man drums are the thing i cant seem to get a hang on all my drums end up sounding the same pretty much, i think its cause of the way in fl studio it like locks them to a grid which i guess is good but i agree it gets too boring and too drum machine sounding. i mean, id really like to be able to make drums like on "money folder", which i think are just like rediculously sick drums but ive got no idea how to go about doing something like that especially on a computer program where i cant like physically "play" the drums, unlike an mpc or something

#10 3 Degrees of Parker Posey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:02 AM

figure out how to unluck the grid, there has to be a way-- that's essential. money folder has some of the sickest drums i've ever heard (pattern or soundwise), and definitely done on the 303. it's compressor has a certain sound to it

oh, and i'm pretty positive fruity has a musical typing feature like garageband where you can use your computer keyboard as a midi controller/piano keyboard. figure out how to turn it on & you will be able to bang out drums in real time

#11 Dialog

Dialog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:40 AM

ne 1 else find it funny pressing your computer keyboard to trigger drums or is it just me? :angry: something about it thats really corny and artifficial. i dunno thats just my thoughts.

#12 3 Degrees of Parker Posey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:25 AM

of course its not like the 303 pads but i'm sayin', if you're trying to do it for no $...

#13 Svetnik

Svetnik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Djing, Music, Producing

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:26 AM

Nice Beats man, I like em...My favourite is 3...really good start, keep on! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users