#1 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

GraFritz is directing a documentary for my next album "DEMOS & MASTERS" which pretty much will detail my untold history within the music industry.

In 1993 I was signed to Warner Bros. as as one half of the rap group March 3rd, had a publishing deal with Zomba Music which then owned Jive Records and Battery Studios where I was obligated to work out of. I co-owned a independent hip hop-jazz label called Original Jazz Recordings that had a distribution deal with Polygram.

I had it very good, and was fortunate to work with and for quite a few artists and producers who are now considered hip hop legends.

Anyway GraFritz asked me to dig up any old videos I have for the documentary and this raw clip which was shot by my label's then A&R Director is of myself doing a producer's panel at the New Music Seminar. In the video is Royal Bayaan who produced Kool & the Gang, Eddie Edmund who produced TCF Crew, and the legendary Large Professor and DJ Clark Kent.

At that time I was doing the very same thing I'm doing today, incorporating live musicianship with sampling and one of the things I felt passionate about was keeping musicians in work. Sampling back then was getting out of control and studio musicians were suffering and I was saying that hip hop producers should consider employing people who can play so everyone could eat.

My point of view came as someone that was then commanding 25-50k per song. It also came from my school of thought as a DJ and as a musician, so today I can look at this video and understand how come Clark Kent and Large Professor reacted the way they did to my plea because Sampling after all was under attack by the industry and there was quite a few lawsuits happening. I didn't really have to face such issues because they were strictly sample based producers, where I was a hybrid producer that practiced both arts so I never had to clear anything. It's also how I got hired by my fellow producers to recreate samples for them.

I don't know if GraFritz is going to use this footage I'm sharing with you guys for the documentary, I don't want to interfere with his work. I trust him to tell my story in a compelling manner as he's been interviewing several artists, former executives and a few childhood friends, I hope you guys enjoy this video and maybe get some insight as this is apart of real hip hop history.

Respectfully,
Pete Marriott

http://youtu.be/FCCv-RlMlno

#2 zmister

zmister

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

word. this is real shit.

#3 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

Damn.

#4 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:40 AM

I figured I'd post this rare unreleased and unfinished remix I produced and rhymed on for Cheryl Pepsii Riley which was done right after I left the NMS panel. Unfortunately the other remix I did is what got released, but this is the one I personally wished got released.

Abigail Jane Monahan is who playing the guitar. She was a beautiful blonde with smoldering hazel eyes that could play the hell out of an axe and give me my first guitar lesson. I'll always appreciate and have love for her, she was an awesome woman.

#5 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:35 AM

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing. Respect.

#6 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:20 AM

I wanted to share something else with you guys from back in the days.

The vocals on this song was recorded in 1989 in my friend's basement, in my native East Flatbush, Brooklyn using a Sure SM-57 microphone, Alesis NanoVerb, Alesis NanoVerb and a Tascam Porta One Studio 4-Track cassette recorder. I originally made the beat you hear in 1993 for Special Ed. This was months before the New Music Seminar. Ed for whatever reason changed his mind about doing the record.

I never felt negative about it because Ed also turned down tracks from S.I.D. who was very hot at the time, Pete Rock, K-Def and Marley Marl and if you paid attention to his career, you'd realize that Ed always made his very best records with Howie Tee. Those two have an undeniable chemistry that just works perfectly, so in hindsight I see this as a very good thing for that it never happened with Ed, because now I get to use my beat for my record.

Due to the fact that I'm retooling a few songs for my forthcoming double album "DEMOS & MASTERS" I decided to take the beat I did for Ed and apply it to this song. What got me there was remembering that the original track was in the same key and the drums had a somewhat similar feel so it had to be a good match. Besides, I can't find a certain record I need to recreate the very original so I had to try it out.

Anyway it worked out and now I need to decide if this is going to make the mastering session for the album, either way...my stamp is on it. :)

#7 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:48 AM

Nice track. Keep us posted on the album, looking forward to it!

#8 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

Here's another joint from 1993. I composed and performed the music using my ASR-10 and a Proteus One. Hip Hop was so much fun back then. :)

#9 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

Prince Nestle - Brooklynites (Produced by Pete Marriott)

#10 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:29 AM

Here's another joint I just uploaded called "Used to be Down" by Trin Booms I wrote the story behind it in the YouTube description.

#11 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:34 AM

Soul 4 Real - If You Want It (Remix)

#12 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member