#1 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

http://www.rappcats....h-back-to-life/

"During the London riots of 2011, a three-story warehouse was burned to the ground, containing the vinyl catalog of over a hundred independent record labels including 4AD, Sub Pop, Domino and Ninja Tune. Due to the cost, time and care of pressing vinyl, many of the records lost in the fire are presumed to be out of print indefinitely. Among them were MF DOOM’s Take Me To Your Leader by his incarnation as King Geedorah, released by Ninja Tune/Big Dada in 2003.

Nearing the 10th anniversary of the album, the music service Beat Delete is spearheading an effort to repress the King Geedorah vinyl. Beat Delete does it like this: working with indie labels & indie artists, they make it possible for record buyers to request out of print titles. When they reach a certain threshold of requests, the record is brought back to life."

Instant cop. 12 pounds for a 180gm 2xlp repress of TMTYL is a steal. Can only hope they'll use the gatefold design. Beat Delete seems to work kind of like Kickstarter in that if they get enough orders they will somehow bring back official out-of-print LPs. And the Geedorah LP is already almost 200% funded, so if they actually have their shit together it's already a lock. get it while you can!

#2 Machiventa

Machiventa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:Love, Hugs, & Hip Hop Soul

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

too bad they're based in the uk for us folks over the pond

so when you place an order do they take money up front? or wait till the minimum is met?

#3 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Well Big Dada's based outta the UK so the first time around you'd have had to pay the shipping costs anyway!

I ordered a couple hours ago and they didn't/haven't charged me. Says you'll be charged when the record's ready to be pressed/the order goal is met. But I'm pretty sure this Beat Delete site just launched a few days ago, and that this Geedorah LP is the first project that has met its order goal, so they're probably still working out the kinks.

I believe these labels (Big Dada included) give this site the minimum amount of orders they'd need to do a limited repress, then this site collects the orders and delivers them to the labels. Which I guess means it'll be coming straight from the label, official style. TMTYL is at almost 200% the orders necessary (which means Big Dada only needed like 80 orders) while the next most-funded is at only 82%, so they may have been blind-sided by the demand. I'm curious to see when they stop taking orders and if they'll keep taking requests after this initial run.

#4 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

Noticed no one's bitching about this re-issue/re-pressing...

#5 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,515 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Well Big Dada's based outta the UK so the first time around you'd have had to pay the shipping costs anyway!

just cos a labels based in a certain country doesnt mean you can only get it in that country, im pretty sure the first press of geedorah was available in shops worldwide

#6 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

just cos a labels based in a certain country doesnt mean you can only get it in that country, im pretty sure the first press of geedorah was available in shops worldwide

lol true. I don't recall seeing it around in the US back then, but my memory could be failing. I'm sure it was online and around some places.

Noticed no one's bitching about this re-issue/re-pressing...

Usually I'm at the front of the crowd on the bitching but considering it's actually relatively unavailable and amazingly not-overpriced, this time i'm down. And it seems to be driven by actual fan love for the record, rather than the villain twirling his mustache and holding out his metal hand for our money. This ain't no Vik Vaughn "Gold edition" here.

#7 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

so i haven't gotten any confirmation on this...is the £12 supposed to be just an up-front cost to help fund the re-pressing of the album, which would then be an additional (whatever they end up charging for it)? or will this payment go towards an actual copy of the album once its been pressed, like a pre-order or something? they don't make it clear on the site at all. & they're already at 208% as far as the funding goes, does that mean they're gonna stop accepting payments and press twice as many records as originally planned?

i have lots of questions regarding this whole dealie, lol. :huh:

#8 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:31 AM

fuck that. I got my copy years ago and it's very egoistic, but I'd like to keep this OOP >_> I wanna cash in on this soon

#9 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,198 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

fuck that. I got my copy years ago and it's very egoistic, but I'd like to keep this OOP >_> I wanna cash in on this soon

No Villain release ever stays OOP. Cash in soon if that's your goal.

#10 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

Is your copy the gatefold version? If so and youre in the states I'd buy it off you on ebay...

#11 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

I just noticed that DOOM wrote this in it's entirety. I remember he said he's 'hired' rappers and that Geedorah was 'talking through' them, but never knew he actually wrote their rhymes. Makes me appreciate this record even more.

From Big Dada Artists Page:

'One of the few records of his career to be entirely self-produced, written, recorded, arranged, mixed and mastered [by DOOM]'

#12 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

I just noticed that DOOM wrote this in it's entirety.

Even Mr. Fantastik's rhymes? Seems funny that he'd write verses for someone else that burn his own...

#13 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:24 AM

I'd cop just to frame the record; that cover art is so unique

#14 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Even Mr. Fantastik's rhymes? Seems funny that he'd write verses for someone else that burn his own...

Both the verses on KG and MM Food by Fantastik were penned by DOOM. This I already knew but was surprised by the rest. I took a look at the liner notes on the album booklet and it confirms it. Crazy

#15 Guts

Guts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Mario

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

nah, doom is also his arch nemisis Vicktor Vaughn.

I also snag this just for the cover.

#16 rupert pupkin

rupert pupkin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

i had been trying to figure out if doom actually wrote all of TMTYL for the longest time, so glad i can finally get this argument settled.
i knew he wrote the Mr. Fantastik verses, but i just had a feeling he wrote all of it because almost none of the MIC members ever spit verses as good as they do on TMTYL

as for the repress, i ordered it, hope to get some sort of email about it actually being repressed and sent out soon

#17 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

I just noticed that DOOM wrote this in it's entirety. I remember he said he's 'hired' rappers and that Geedorah was 'talking through' them

I always dug his whole backstory about how Geedorah was beaming this whole album from another dimension, but now it makes sense.

I still haven't gotten any emails about my order either, but according to Beat Delete's facebook page (where they lamely direct you for new information), today is the last day to buy this record so cop while you can! I haven't seen a good copy going for less than like 60 bucks in several years, and these will be newly pressed and according to them 180g. might not be the awesome gatefold sleeve but it'd still be worth it.

#18 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,198 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

Fully funded. Orders closed.

#19 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

Missed it :(

#20 shaolin disciple

shaolin disciple

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

i was trying to email the guy at beatdelete but for some reason the email will not go thru i was going to ask him a couple of questions about this mf doom vinyl but i guess its to late since they already funded this album just wanted to know if any one had this problem i think the email address was info@beatdelete.com has any body has any problem reaching this e mail

on another not if any one has a copy of the mf doom king geedorah vinyl lp or has a extra copy and wants to sell it a brand new copy please pm me and let me know i will buy it off of you thanks

#21 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

Both the verses on KG and MM Food by Fantastik were penned by DOOM. This I already knew but was surprised by the rest. I took a look at the liner notes on the album booklet and it confirms it. Crazy

...and all the other guest vocals? Kurious? Grimm? Rodan? Lil' Sci and the rest? I don't buy it...

#22 rupert pupkin

rupert pupkin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

...and all the other guest vocals? Kurious? Grimm? Rodan? Lil' Sci and the rest? I don't buy it...

im pretty sure they are. it says album written, produced, composed by MF Doom. also a lot of the verses sound like Doom verses. there's a reason this was a King Geedorah album and not a M.I.C.

#23 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

i was trying to email the guy at beatdelete but for some reason the email will not go thru i was going to ask him a couple of questions about this mf doom vinyl but i guess its to late since they already funded this album just wanted to know if any one had this problem i think the email address was info@beatdelete.com has any body has any problem reaching this e mail

Just got an email from beat delete this morning in response to an inquiry I sent over a week ago. I think they're obviously still getting on their feet over there. Only got like 1 out of 4 questions answered. still don't know if it's gatefold or if there will be another run later on but at least I know my order went through.

#24 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

I admit, I'd be shocked too. But also wouldn't put it past possible, never know with ol' metal face.

#25 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

He defo did write everyone elses rhymes. The label stated so in the bio/blurb for the record, and it says so in the liner notes of the record itself. Somehow it just went over everyone's heads at the time...Prob coz it was in the middle of his hot streak, releasing a lot of other material.

#26 shaolin disciple

shaolin disciple

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

does any 1 know if they will do another run of this record i missed out on the first one but not the second if they do make another run hope they do

#27 Machiventa

Machiventa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:Love, Hugs, & Hip Hop Soul

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

He defo did write everyone elses rhymes. The label stated so in the bio/blurb for the record, and it says so in the liner notes of the record itself. Somehow it just went over everyone's heads at the time...Prob coz it was in the middle of his hot streak, releasing a lot of other material.

LOL nah he didn't write anyone's rhymes. At least not StaHHr, ID 4 Windz or JR's. Just ask them, they're the most accessible online.

#28 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

With all this talk, I started listening to this record again but there was one track that wouldn't recognise on my media player for some reason. I looked it up and found this, which must have been an original promo or something. I like it, as it sort of explains what the cover artwork's about.

• DJ Primate likes this

#29 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

And for those non-believers...

This is lifted straight from the Discogs listing. No Snakes Alive, as you are all aware, appears on both the MF EP as well as Take Me to Your Leader. Note (in bold to prove the point) this track was written by MF Grimm (Jet Jaguar) and Rodan along with DOOM.

And that's just one track, what about the others? Never heard of artists or writers not being acknowledged on creative productions?

Posted Image

MF Doom / MF Grimm ‎– MF

Label:
Brick Records ‎– BRK 012
Format:
2 × Vinyl, 12", EP
US
Released:
Genre:
Hip Hop
Style:
Abstract, Conscious
Tracklist ▼
A1 MF Doom – Doomsday Remix
Producer – Mister Jason
Recorded By, Mixed By – Papa D!
Scratches [Cuts] – Fakts One
Written-By – D. Dumile*, J. Katsohis 3:11
A2 MF Doom – No Snakes Alive
Producer, Recorded By, Mixed By – MF Doom
Rap [Featuring] – Jet Jaguar*, King Ghidra, Rodan
Written-By – A. Ford (2), D. Dumile*, P. Carey* 3:34

#30 shaolin disciple

shaolin disciple

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

i emailed big dada records asking them if beat delete will have the take me to your leader up for sale again they said once it gets re pressed they will be selling it on ninjatunes/big dada website.so every one that missed out on it we will have a chance to cop this when it gets re pressed on ninja tunes/big dada :D B)
  • SunnyMeadowz likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users