47 replies to this topic

#31 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

They've released tons of sub-par projects with Dilla's name on them, even going as far as to recycle some beats. They've allowed for shitty rappers to rhyme over his beats: doing the instrumentals a complete disservice. They've "completed" some unfinished/ obscure loops they've unearthed: compromising the integrity of his work. They've even gone as far as to sell from the mans personal record collection.

By "they" you mean his mom.

#32 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

I am not hating on the Estate. I have spoken to some involved and they have been really nice people. Its like anything--should treat it like the Hope Diamond-yeah. There is money to be made--The Estate deserves to profit as much as it can off of his gifts. Of course, you guys all know how I feel about shit--use creative judgement.

This is an incongruent feeling, that I too have...every time there is a mention of Dilla and a project--I am like?????

Or "Dilla Changed MY Life": I want to hit the pause button. But same with cats wearing golden age Tshirts and they pants is tight with broke ass Jordans. They making up for their lack of dicks.

Who am I to question a Yancey boys record or whatever? Personally, I know that it is not Dilla. The hardest cats all pretend to get soft when his name comes up, but you can see it inside their eyes that they no know not what of Gods and BroKing speak.

We will just have to grin and bear it much like everything else that is happening. I went through some weird shit a some five years ago--and I retreated to a cave with just my vinyl and none of this internet shit. I wouldn't even touch a sampler. I hoped everything would be kept on the low--but androids kept being built and dickriders took over. Shit, mocha -flavored/Irish Coffee Starbucks Obama won an election on that shit.

OfficeTime I'd love to hear some examples that you have, sometime.

#33 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

I don't know what Dilla's dying wishes were, but considering how close friends of his reacted to some of these things in the media, I find it safe to assume that much, if not all, of this aftermath were not ambitions of his.

true dat. i gotta admit though, i did buy one of Jay's records haha...
but yeah, you raise a good point. we should just take everything Dilla-related and close it off for several years, like they do with the movies in the Disney vaults every couple of years.

#34 Templar

Templar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

good timing http://potholesinmyb...s-songs-shirts/

#35 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

I don't fault Ma Dukes for selling those records one bit. They were discovered in an abandoned storage unit and given to her by the guy who bought then for a few hundred bucks. His family racked up a ton of money in medical costs that these things help Ma Dukes recover from.
  • GC90 and Jubito like this

#36 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:In one word: Música

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:07 PM

OfficeTime I'd love to hear some examples that you have, sometime.

Examples of what?

#37 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:26 PM

I don't fault Ma Dukes for selling those records one bit. They were discovered in an abandoned storage unit and given to her by the guy who bought then for a few hundred bucks. His family racked up a ton of money in medical costs that these things help Ma Dukes recover from.

That's an excellent point. I definitely sympathize w/ how things have gone for the Yancey family. I have enough perspective in me to understand why things have been done as they have; I just wish that it wasn't at the expense of Dilla's artistic integrity, that's all. Posthumous works in general are of inevitable contentious nature. If his estate wasn't releasing the EPs, beat albums, compilations, and so forth that they have, I, and others like myself, would probably be writing about how they should release his unreleased works.

For the record, I bought one of the records from Jay's personal collection and, until exhaustion, was indulging in many of his posthumous releases. I guess what happened was that the supply became much greater than the demand. It was as if every other month some new J Dilla project was hitting store shelves or "in the works"; there was a time, albeit brief, probably right after The Shining was released, when Dilla heads were longing with anything Dilla related. Dilla had brand loyalty with me...then I grew increasingly frustrated with the quality, politics, and basis of the the posthumous release themselves and I stopped investing in the projects.

That's the truth

#38 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

Anyway, on the topic of tributes and whatnot--I was lucky to be a part of the taping of Phife Dawg, formerly of ATCQ's tribute to Dilla.

#39 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

I honestly haven't bought a "new" Dilla release since "Jay Love Japan". After that it was getting on the 2pac steeze.

#40 Flip Chillson

Flip Chillson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

Those drums!

#41 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

I honestly haven't bought a "new" Dilla release since "Jay Love Japan". After that it was getting on the 2pac steeze.

I feel you there. When it comes to posthumous releases and Dilla there are only certain things I'm willing to buy or even listen to. For me if its a record that he actually did himself or just like an official release of some of his beat tape instrumentals then I'm totally willing to cop the vinyl. But releases like 'Rebirth' and to a big extent 'Jay $tay Paid' definitely turn me off.

#42 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:30 AM

I'd buy The Jay Dee Project on vinyl in a heartbeat. Also, if and when songs like what House Shoes posted some time ago and "Radio" ever see official releases, I'm all over them. Who knows, I might cop the The Diary when that's finally released. The new vocal material is pretty dope, I just can't commit to these small EPs b/c of the cash they equate to.

Waajeed used to post some super dope and rare Dilla tracks on Bling47's site too...it would be nice if those were hit with a barcode at some point as well.

The Album That Time Forgot by 5-Elementz needs to be pressed up too!!!!!!

#43 Goodz047

Goodz047

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Wax

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

The Album That Time Forgot by 5-Elementz needs to be pressed up too!!!!!!

Yes! I've been searchin' for years for that tape.

#44 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

Yes! I've been searchin' for years for that tape.

I wonder who owns the masters to that album. Typically labels own the recording copyright; the label for this project was That Was Entertainment, which I've never heard of. A reissue would be absolutely amazing, even if it was just on cassette like the original. More people need to know about 5 Ela, period!

#45 Goodz047

Goodz047

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Wax

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

Yeah this needs to happen. I've got the 3 45s that FNR (Funk Night Records) released a few years back.

http://5ela.bandcamp.com

http://5elaofficial.blogspot.co.uk

Not sure if they are currently active

#46 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:53 AM

Picked up the new 12" yesterday. The artwork is outstanding and that last track on the B side was worth the price of admission alone. I'm wondering where I've heard that beat before.

#47 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

Picked up the new 12" yesterday. The artwork is outstanding and that last track on the B side was worth the price of admission alone. I'm wondering where I've heard that beat before.

track 5 is the one that was on the 2008 leak of the mca demos, right?  that's where u heard it.  

#48 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

Nah, I've never dl that. Probably heard it on a J. Rocc mix/show.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users