Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

this a joke? presets? cmon fool you're making a video to show off how to use presets thats some weak shit right there son

#3 Conzo

Conzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/inkliing

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

why u tripping fool. im just giving out much needed advice. people dont know how to compress these days.

#4 Guts

Guts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Mario

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

why u tripping fool. im just giving out much needed advice. people dont know how to compress these days.

how ironic

#5 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

how ironic

This is hilarious

#6 scabs

scabs

Facebook.com/scabsallover Scabsallover.bandcamp.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Ableton9, APC40, & Monome 40h

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/scabsallover

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

May I lend some insight?

If you side-chain, or even duplicate and compress the shit out of the duplicate, then lower that affected duplicate to the point of it being barely noticable, you should gain at least 3dB. There's more to it than that, like making sure not to induce phasing, but you'll figure it out through trial and error.

#7 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

so i figured i'd dig this thread up from the graveyard rather than start an entirely new thread about mixing vocals...but yeah. so now that my production technique is pretty much down where i want it to be, as well as my lyrics and flow, the next step for me is learning how to mix my vocals to not make them sound like shit...

i don't have that great of a set-up, it's probably your less-than-average bare bones operation i have in my room. i use an SM-58 going into a Mackie 1202 VLZ-Pro mixer that i kinda stole from my old work-- but that's another story. i usually (always) record directly from my mixer into Audacity to track it out via the "Tape Out" RCA connections going into an Edirol UA-1X USB audio interface. from there i take the mix and export it out, re-importing it to FL Studio for mixing...and usually by the time i'm done with this part, it ends up sounding like shit haha. like certain parts of it sound better with EQ-ing and compression, but then new problems are created once i've tried cutting out the harsh frequencies as my voice starts to sound old-timey radio-ish.

anybody who doesn't understand advanced EQ-ing and mixing in general should just stop right here and stfu before even typing out advice lol. sorry, i just don't wanna waste anyone's time by having them tell me something i already know. i understand quite a lot about the idea of mixing, compression, equalization, filters, effects, gating, limiting, and to an extent mastering-- but in practice i'm just not adept enough to mix my own shit quite yet. my beats are sounding pretty good, but beats and vocals are two diff worlds in terms of what needs to be done to make them sound good. so yeah, any of the more savvy cats on here wanna help me out? (i don't want links to YouTube tutorials, i've pretty much looked them all up and still not quite figured out how to make my vocals sound both natural and well-mixed/EQ-ed over a finished beat). thanks in advance

#8 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:16 AM

so i figured i'd dig this thread up from the graveyard rather than start an entirely new thread about mixing vocals...but yeah. so now that my production technique is pretty much down where i want it to be, as well as my lyrics and flow, the next step for me is learning how to mix my vocals to not make them sound like shit...

i don't have that great of a set-up, it's probably your less-than-average bare bones operation i have in my room. i use an SM-58 going into a Mackie 1202 VLZ-Pro mixer that i kinda stole from my old work-- but that's another story. i usually (always) record directly from my mixer into Audacity to track it out via the "Tape Out" RCA connections going into an Edirol UA-1X USB audio interface. from there i take the mix and export it out, re-importing it to FL Studio for mixing...and usually by the time i'm done with this part, it ends up sounding like shit haha. like certain parts of it sound better with EQ-ing and compression, but then new problems are created once i've tried cutting out the harsh frequencies as my voice starts to sound old-timey radio-ish.

anybody who doesn't understand advanced EQ-ing and mixing in general should just stop right here and stfu before even typing out advice lol. sorry, i just don't wanna waste anyone's time by having them tell me something i already know. i understand quite a lot about the idea of mixing, compression, equalization, filters, effects, gating, limiting, and to an extent mastering-- but in practice i'm just not adept enough to mix my own shit quite yet. my beats are sounding pretty good, but beats and vocals are two diff worlds in terms of what needs to be done to make them sound good. so yeah, any of the more savvy cats on here wanna help me out? (i don't want links to YouTube tutorials, i've pretty much looked them all up and still not quite figured out how to make my vocals sound both natural and well-mixed/EQ-ed over a finished beat). thanks in advance

you need freq analyzer blucat is pretty sick, rap over a stereo wav not loads of tracks, when you lay your vocal down your going to have to eq some of the mid out of the stereo wav so your vocal can sit in the mix, and not struggle with the other frequencies.... ENTER the analyzers... stick one on both tracks you will be able to see what space is being taken up by what track.

Recording it you want to be about a foot away from the mic, your not in a studio like tupac or Busta, so try and get your breathing sorted and make sure you don't nod your head or start doing G hand signs at the mic :P , you might want to try different angles, slightly below, or just above, you might want a dampened area cover stuff with duvets sheets etc stop the sound bouncing everywhere, egg boxs work really well. go from your mixer straight to your audio interface, less connections the cleaner the take, and leave the track raw, if you get this sounding good, then it can be enhanced, your give yourself a headache trying to even out and eq all disasters that eqing and compression will do, add that to the track after you nail a decent leveled recording. Oh and roll off some of the bass on the mixer, get ya voice right, through that first. like hum and hiss (check out noise gates it's the 60hz demon you want to get rid of)

#9 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

you need freq analyzer blucat is pretty sick, rap over a stereo wav not loads of tracks, when you lay your vocal down your going to have to eq some of the mid out of the stereo wav so your vocal can sit in the mix, and not struggle with the other frequencies.... ENTER the analyzers... stick one on both tracks you will be able to see what space is being taken up by what track.

Recording it you want to be about a foot away from the mic, your not in a studio like tupac or Busta, so try and get your breathing sorted and make sure you don't nod your head or start doing G hand signs at the mic :P , you might want to try different angles, slightly below, or just above, you might want a dampened area cover stuff with duvets sheets etc stop the sound bouncing everywhere, egg boxs work really well. go from your mixer straight to your audio interface, less connections the cleaner the take, and leave the track raw, if you get this sounding good, then it can be enhanced, your give yourself a headache trying to even out and eq all disasters that eqing and compression will do, add that to the track after you nail a decent leveled recording. Oh and roll off some of the bass on the mixer, get ya voice right, through that first. like hum and hiss (check out noise gates it's the 60hz demon you want to get rid of)

thank you, Jedi Master-- i was hoping you'd respond to this. so despite my confusing explanation, my mix is indeed going directly from mic to mixer to audio interface. i typically record about ~6-10 inches away from the mic, and i recently just acquired a pop filter which i used for the first time last night. i try to record in my closet, but as far as any dampening goes i really don't use any...so my shit tends to come out pretty raw. not echo-ey necessarily, but definitely sounds live and like it was recorded with a dynamic mic rather than a super nice condenser (although i will add that a entry-level condenser mic is the very next thing i will be purchasing after film equipment).

so generally speaking, my takes seem to come out pretty good level-wise. they certainly are nowhere near professional quality, but for rough demos recorded in my bedroom they aren't that bad (if you've listened to ANY of my rap releases up to this point they were all recorded with this same setup)...the issues, however, come whenever i try "sweetening up the vocals" to try and offset some of the not-so-good aspects of the mix. these include the following, from what i've been able to hear:

- floor noise (this is probably due to not using a condenser, and maybe from also not using a pre-amp for the mic in general)

- mids can sound tinny at times (this is a more recent issue; before i had my EQ enabled on the mixer itself and pretty much gutted the mids on there...but then i got to thinking i should probably refrain from doing that until after the vocals are recorded in case i wanted some of those frequencies, but now i'm thinking i did the right thing to begin with)

- the pops, though not that bad when they *used* to happen before i owned a filter, could every once in a while be brutal on the dynamics of the mix...once i went in to normalize the vocals, it'd only raise it a few decibels because one "P-" sound skewed the entire mix

- most importantly, the treble seems to be SO hot that by the time i try gutting the harshest frequencies (pretty much any "S-", "Sh-", "St-", "Sp-", "B-", etc. sound i make during a performance) it sorta ruins the brightness of my mix, making it sound like old-timey radio or as if i had basically placed a low-pass filter on my vocals.

so as you can see, i pretty much know exactly what is wrong with my vocal takes-- and i guess my real question is, to get more specific, is what frequencies should be attenuated... and what is the method pro's use to basically reduce those sharp frequencies without transforming the entire mix into a dull mess? are there like special de-esser boxes they make, or should i buy an analog parametric EQ that i route through the mic channel? (i've seen some run ridiculously cheap, like $15) hopefully this clarifies the specific issues i've been dealing with. if you want ODK, i'll message you the same vocal take both raw and post-EQ to give you a visual...or i mean, an aural lol.

#10 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

thank you, Jedi Master-- i was hoping you'd respond to this. so despite my confusing explanation, my mix is indeed going directly from mic to mixer to audio interface. i typically record about ~6-10 inches away from the mic, and i recently just acquired a pop filter which i used for the first time last night. i try to record in my closet, but as far as any dampening goes i really don't use any...so my shit tends to come out pretty raw. not echo-ey necessarily, but definitely sounds live and like it was recorded with a dynamic mic rather than a super nice condenser (although i will add that a entry-level condenser mic is the very next thing i will be purchasing after film equipment).

so generally speaking, my takes seem to come out pretty good level-wise. they certainly are nowhere near professional quality, but for rough demos recorded in my bedroom they aren't that bad (if you've listened to ANY of my rap releases up to this point they were all recorded with this same setup)...the issues, however, come whenever i try "sweetening up the vocals" to try and offset some of the not-so-good aspects of the mix. these include the following, from what i've been able to hear:

- floor noise (this is probably due to not using a condenser, and maybe from also not using a pre-amp for the mic in general)

- mids can sound tinny at times (this is a more recent issue; before i had my EQ enabled on the mixer itself and pretty much gutted the mids on there...but then i got to thinking i should probably refrain from doing that until after the vocals are recorded in case i wanted some of those frequencies, but now i'm thinking i did the right thing to begin with)

- the pops, though not that bad when they *used* to happen before i owned a filter, could every once in a while be brutal on the dynamics of the mix...once i went in to normalize the vocals, it'd only raise it a few decibels because one "P-" sound skewed the entire mix

- most importantly, the treble seems to be SO hot that by the time i try gutting the harshest frequencies (pretty much any "S-", "Sh-", "St-", "Sp-", "B-", etc. sound i make during a performance) it sorta ruins the brightness of my mix, making it sound like old-timey radio or as if i had basically placed a low-pass filter on my vocals.

so as you can see, i pretty much know exactly what is wrong with my vocal takes-- and i guess my real question is, to get more specific, is what frequencies should be attenuated... and what is the method pro's use to basically reduce those sharp frequencies without transforming the entire mix into a dull mess? are there like special de-esser boxes they make, or should i buy an analog parametric EQ that i route through the mic channel? (i've seen some run ridiculously cheap, like $15) hopefully this clarifies the specific issues i've been dealing with. if you want ODK, i'll message you the same vocal take both raw and post-EQ to give you a visual...or i mean, an aural lol.

Important frequencies for vocals depends on the persons voice dude, your going to be different than Charli Tuna, and say Vinnie Paz, bass to alto voice are in range from 87 to 698 hz generally for males, that's also a lot of important tone for the main track as well, you could trying to compress the frequency with a bit of filtering, when you record, the other thing is Izotope RX, stick this on you can remove anything, and I mean like a triangle over a guitar. try to go for quality over volume that can alter the frequencies as well , more than welcome to send me the tracks dude.
  • James Frank. likes this

#11 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

so yeah, anybody on here willing to help me out with mixing/mastering my very next mixtape???

it would be very minimal work on your end, because i'm not stupid-- and the mixes for all the tracks are pretty much there.  but there's little things i have a hard time with getting rid of like completely de-essing my takes, EQ-ing the vocals to match the mix and not be competing with certain frequncies...things like that, that i just haven't learned how to do on my own yet.

i'm willing to toss a few sheckles your way if i can be guaranteed at least semi-pro quality, but nothing too crazy or i'd just spend the extra whatever and go to a pro...the only reason i'm not for this one is cause i'm pretty poor, and the next one after this is the one that i'm pulling all the stops out for.  this one was just made in my room with my sampler and sm-58 in my closet.

#12 LeftFoot1st

LeftFoot1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Interests:Art, Advertising, Graphic Design, Photography....
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/leftfoot1st

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

post-25049-laughing-out-loud-lol-gif-Now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users