35 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

I get the original 2LP and CD version, I kinda understand the re-release on Vinyl for some store in malls or whatever that story was...but why release it on 7"s again? You could just drop the non vinyl available tracks on a single 7" :huh:

#2 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

no idea but ive orderd it *shrugs*

#3 flowmontana71

flowmontana71

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

no idea but ive orderd it *shrugs*

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sigh...me too...I'll order it Friday

My collection wont be complete without it.....

http://soundcloud.com/fm71
Stay Focused....

#4 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sigh...me too...I'll order it Friday

My collection wont be complete without it.....

Stay Focused....

ive heard the album about a million times since it dropped but never actually owned a copy on vinyl

#5 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

Only reason I could think of is to make money for the holiday season. It's Cyber Monday, right? Having this release on 7's would really disrupt the flow of the album. Stopping every 2-3 songs to change sides? Either way stones throw will make cake off it which I'm all for.

#6 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,895 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

We always talked about releasing—and we wouldn’t call it this—but a Donuts part two...He had one that was really great that’s still unreleased called The Pizza Man—and we always wanted to do something with it.

ST, after this rererelease of Donuts and all those really crappy posthumous releases from other labels can we please see something like Pizza Man? I can already picture the pizza 'box' set now...
  • Jadoe and (Jamie) Hall like this

#7 flowmontana71

flowmontana71

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

ST, after this rererelease of Donuts and all those really crappy posthumous releases from other labels can we please see something like Pizza Man? I can already picture the pizza 'box' set now...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Co-sign......

Stay Focused....

#8 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

Honestly, ST would be better off releasing Jay Dee's entire music collection on vinyl, now that would be something I would pay plenty of money for, not some re-release of something that's been re-released quite a few times already. I'm always finding new J Dilla beats, it never ends, why the hell doesn't ST take the opportunity to release his unreleased work? seriously im getting tired of digging for his unreleased shit, everytime I cop something new something else comes up a week later

#9 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

Edit: Yeah I'm going to order it too... :(

#10 LuvBunz

LuvBunz

the funk goes on.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  • Interests:butts + baby oil

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

Been wondering about this for ages. Fat boys pizza box reminded me of this actually. Would've preferred this over another donuts to be honest.

#11 flowmontana71

flowmontana71

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

I always felt that a 'Donuts' documentary/video would be bananas....

Seeing interviews from Wolf...Egon...Ma Dukes..Houseshoes...describing Dilla's mindset and creative process during the making of the album...

Just a thought...

#12 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Duh guys this is so you can create that Donuts Jukebox you've always wanted.

#13 PuertoNico

PuertoNico

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

co-sign to everything.
i mean, that box-set is surely nice, but instead we def. should have some other dilla-releases. i don't understand what the purpose is of letting these beats sit in ma dukes basement. and i'm sure there are enough, so she wouldn't play all her cards at once.
also, i've been listening to these youtube-dilla-beats very rarely because i want to experience them when (if) they come out officially. somebody feel me ?

#14 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:14 AM

It isn't like there's a vault filled with Dilla beats and music which Ma Duke owns. There's more to it. There's probably a lot of politics, laws and ownership involved which probably doesn't make a project like unreleased beats a good profit.

Sure, Rebirth Of Detroit could have been a nice instrumental album (face it, most of the rappers on it aren't saying anything, are irrelevant and out of place)....but we all know how that project was handled.

#15 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

delicious vinyl are releasing new stuff by dilla as im sure your aware?
http://slumz.boxden....leased-1846275/

(Los Angeles, CA / Detroit, MI): Storied hip-hop label Delicious Vinyl (Tone-Loc, Young MC, The Pharcyde) proudly announces a new partnership with Yancey Media Group, the family-operated company administering the catalog of late, great producer James Yancey aka Jay Dee, aka J Dilla. The fruits of the partnership will include new releases from what J Dilla Music Catalogue Curator Frank Nitt has dubbed’The Lost Scrolls’ — previously unreleased productions from the considerable body of work Dilla left behind.

Delicious Vinyl has significant history with J Dilla. In the mid-’90s, Dilla (then known as Jay Dee) placedhis first beats on an official release on The Pharcyde album Labcabincalifornia (including the hit single”Runnin’”) and remixes for Brand New Heavies. Then in 2009, Dilla’s younger brother John “Illa J”Yancey laced a cache of previously unreleased Jay Dee beats to create the critically and popularly acclaimed Delicious Vinyl album Yancey Boys.

“Dilla was my closest childhood friend,” says Frank Nitt. “I went with him out to L.A. that first time in 1996. I met [Delicious Vinyl founder] Mike Ross then and saw he was giving Dilla the opportunity to gethis beats out. Fast forward thirteen years, after Dilla passed, Illa J makes Yancey Boys, and again I go out to L.A. to help with promotion. Mike Ross asked to hear what I was doing, and Delicious Vinyl wound upreleasing my Jewels In My Backpack EP. So Delicious Vinyl goes back with Dilla to the beginning, and has always been part of furthering his legacy properly. We’re doing doing this with Delicious Vinyl with the total approval of [Dilla's mother] Ma Dukes, who’s known and trusted Mike from way back.”

The first release from the ‘Lost Scrolls’ cache will be digital-only single “The Throwaway” this December. The song, credited to Yancey Boys feat. Frank Nitt, features new verses from Illa J and a tight hook from Frank over a vintage Jay Dee beat.

Subsequent releases in 2013 will include a 10-inch vinyl release of unheard Jay Dee cuts featuring the producer himself rapping. The new year will also see the first official release the oft-bootleged Frank & Dank album 48 Hours, the only LP ever produced by Jay Dee without any samples. Frank Nitt is set to host the Second Annual Dilla Day in Detroit on February 9th, 2013. The flame of the Yancey legacy keeps on burning.

#16 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

It isn't like there's a vault filled with Dilla beats and music

You've obviously never seen J Rocc perform...

#17 edward

edward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

can we get this on cassette?

#18 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

I always felt that a 'Donuts' documentary/video would be bananas....

Seeing interviews from Wolf...Egon...Ma Dukes..Houseshoes...describing Dilla's mindset and creative process during the making of the album...

Just a thought...

They touched on that a bit in that Stussy Doc.

#19 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

can we get this on cassette?

I'm sayin'! A Donuts cassette would be dope!

#20 DJ Sapien

DJ Sapien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:The beautiful things in life.
  • Soundcloud:soundcloud.com/djsapien

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

I was waiting for the 8 track release, but I guess I'll have to settle for 45s.

#21 Guts

Guts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Mario

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

yeah im gonna sit on this album until stonesthrow releases it on 1/4" reel to reel tape

:mellow:
  • SunnyMeadowz and bertskee like this

#22 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:26 AM

I want a Beta Max release until Christmas. Because then I might ditch the old shit and upgrade to vhs.

#23 JJ

JJ

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

I get the original 2LP and CD version, I kinda understand the re-release on Vinyl for some store in malls or whatever that story was...but why release it on 7"s again? You could just drop the non vinyl available tracks on a single 7"

Gerbik, I worked a bunch on J Dilla's Donuts, I love the record, and the idea of anyone doing some corny business with the album turns my stomach, so I'm happy to answer. Why? The simplest answer is because the idea of having Donuts on donuts is something we wanted ourselves, and guessed others would too.

Actually the idea was from House Shoes. "Why don't you guys release Donuts on 45s?" It seemed so obvious, yet no one had thought of it. (Side note -- Among the various "meanings" for the Donuts title that people have come up with over the years, the 45 record was always the metaphor that I made. I remember visiting Dilla at Cedars, seeing a box full of 45s in the room and making a joke about a box of donuts during the time we were putting the record together.)

I get that people whine and cry when they see a record reissued in new forms. It's like someone's cheapening their own personal culture. I laughed when i saw the newest re-re-re-reissue of one of my all-time favorites, Velvet Underground & Nico, a 6-CD box set of a 45-minute album which makes the Donuts box set look absolutely humble and understated by comparison. But records are also things that exist in the marketplace for artists, labels & stores to sell and make a living from, so if you're lucky enough to be a part of an album that people care about and can be rediscovered by generations of music fans, reissuing it is something that makes sense, just as long as you don't screw it up.

We hoped to have this box set released about now instead of simply announced right now, but there was a problem with a few of the records, and they're now being re-cut. I played the 45 test presses side by side the with the LP, and i think the 45s sounded a little better.
  • GC90 likes this

#24 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

JJ, for the love of God, post here more oftenly. That was a good read.

I like the idea and I'd like to have a copy, but I'm not going to buy it when I own it on CD and LP already. Maybe you should also drop a new poster with the release. I still got the very nice Ruff Draft poster framed on my wall.

#25 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

Even though I'm not a hardcore dilla fan I'm intrigued by this release. Probs the design that drew me in. Here goes 40+$

#26 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

Found out I'm getting this for a Christmas gift, super excited!

#27 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

Found out I'm getting this for a Christmas gift, super excited!

Stop looking through your parent's closest. You'll ruin the surprise for everyone.
  • GC90 likes this

#28 Little Wonder Productions

Little Wonder Productions

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/docfelix

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Personally I'm looking forward to another way of experiencing this album.

I own each version released and will be copping this box-set for sure!

#29 variance

variance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

"10"

#30 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip