Photo

Our Vinyl Weighs A Ton (This Is Stones Throw)

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#91 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:42 AM

Please tell me we'll see that tape in the store...

#92 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:53 AM

Please tell me we'll see that tape in the store...

would you expect any less at this point?

I'm just hankerin for that 10".

#93 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

I think this should be the new format for the Beat Konducta series. All cassette tapes. Can someone pick up a copy for me?

#94 LeftFoot1st

LeftFoot1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Art, Advertising, Graphic Design, Photography....
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/leftfoot1st

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:32 AM

Wonder how much it costs to mass produce cassette tapes.... or do they sit there and just do one by one lol

• oblivion likes this

#95 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:32 PM

Just watched the movie, pretty meh. Think everyone who posted about it here pretty much summed it up well. Basically the movie should have been called "My Vinyl Weighs a Ton: The PBW Story" .

Some cool things:
- Didn't know Baron Zen was that close to everyone at ST, that was cool
- Didn't realize how bad things were getting at ST during the time period after Dilla's passing. Thinking about it now, can def see how things were looking grim on the money side of things until Mayer/Aloe
- Was cool learning a bit more about Jeff Jank and how much he was involved in decisions/etc. 

Some lame things:
- Too much time spent talking to random ass people. Who were those two hippie dudes they kept talking to for no reason?
- Missing people : Egon (bullshit leaving him out), Jeff Jank (did he leave ST for the Rappcats gang as well?), Karriem Riggins, MED, DOOM, Romes, Dudley (I WISH lol), plenty of others
- People who should have talked to a bit more : Oh No, Guilty Simpson, James Pants, J Rocc, Vex Ruffin, Madlib, Wildchild
- Seriously, we could get a big section on Folerio and Gary Wilson but the above couldn't get any time/more time? Kanye was pointless. Also, was it just me or did it seem like Dam-Funk got way too much time in the movie?
- The order of the film and pacing was funky. If I were the one doing the movie, I would have thought it would be PBW/Charizma, Lootpack/Madlib/Oxnard, Madlib/Dilla/DOOM period, aftermath of that period (slow time), the comeback (JP, Dam-Funk, Mayer, Aloe), then where we are at now (Jonwayne, Vex, Sandman, Myron, etc)

I'd give the movie a 6/10 . Haven't heard that interview with Egon/Gilles Peterson yet but just the concept of that sounds more interesting to me than anything presented in this movie imo. I'm bummed I gave money to the Kickstarter, if I had known the entire Oxnard group would get snubbed like that I probably wouldn't have given anything.

This was better than anything in the documentary as well

Edit 2:

And here's this just because the beat is badass

• Jimmyfunkvalve likes this

#96 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:34 AM

I'm fairly certain JJ is still inside that overlapping portion of the ST/Rappcatts Venn Diagram.

#97 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:10 AM

Wonder why they didn't talk to him. Suppose he could have simply not wanted to be part of it which I think is ok. If PBW was being all selective and stuff that'd be dumb though. 

#98 Jimmyfunkvalve

Jimmyfunkvalve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

Maybe he just didn't want to be in front of the camera... i know there's only like one photo of the guy in existence (!) and he's got to keep up that air of mystery, right? Still, he could have had some drawn/animated version of himself for an interview, or got hookie & baba to answer questions for him, that'd have been funny.

#99 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

Wonder why they didn't talk to him. Suppose he could have simply not wanted to be part of it which I think is ok.. 

Maybe he just didn't want to be in front of the camera... i know there's only like one photo of the guy in existence (!) and he's got to keep up that air of mystery, right?

I was literally jumping up and down in my seat at the screening when they showed that old ass photo of "JJ" in his high school band. I told my buddy next to me that Jankrub is even more of a background cat then The Madlib and I'm fairly certain I'd never seen any kind of footage of him before that. So I can understand why he might not have been in the film.

• GC90 likes this

#100 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

Yeah I suppose that explanation makes sense (though hearing JJ talk about anything would have been awesome). No excuse for the others though  <_<

#101 NickleBanks

NickleBanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

I've only seen pictures of JJ once, from the kidrobot-quasimoto in-store: https://www.flickr.c...57613699994027/

#102 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

http://www.okayplaye...clip-video.html

#103 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

Will watch the clip later, but geez is this a movie about Kanye talking about people or a Stones Throw documentary? lol

#104 quikfit

quikfit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

Anybody get theirs yet? Got my Blu-ray today. Looks like the DVD came with a booklet, but nothing with the Blu-ray. 
Any word on that ST? Jank?

#105 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

Anybody get theirs yet? Got my Blu-ray today. Looks like the DVD came with a booklet, but nothing with the Blu-ray. 
Any word on that ST? Jank?

Got mine a couple days ago. No booklet, but I'm digging some of the CD.

#106 quikfit

quikfit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

Nevermind - reason is because Blu-ray production is so much more expensive the booklet only got in with the DVD set.

#107 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

I heard "Mad March" playing during one of Madlibs segments in the movie. That beat is hella old but I love it
  • gEEchieDan likes this

#108 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

10" got pushed back to August. My wallet breathes a sigh of relief. Hopefully I can double up the order with that mndsgn LP and Cassette on Wax.

#109 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

summer2014-jon-mad.jpg

crackin up. 

does "The Beats" have to have OVWAT printed on it anywhere? or can we just disassociate the two for all our peace of mind?

• GC90 likes this

#110 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

Promotion is everything

#111 Jimmyfunkvalve

Jimmyfunkvalve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

10" got pushed back to August. My wallet breathes a sigh of relief. Hopefully I can double up the order with that mndsgn LP and Cassette on Wax.

Bad news - pushed back again to september.

Well, at least that's what they're saying here: http://www.stonesthr...b-rock-konducta

Incidentally, did anyone here get a copy of the cassette? Any opinions?

Only asking 'cos I haven't seen the movie so I have no idea what kind of beats they used for the cues.

#112 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

My wallet ain't complaining though. Especially with all the summer releases ST be dropping over the next few weeks.

#113 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

Only asking 'cos I haven't seen the movie so I have no idea what kind of beats they used for the cues.

From what I remember some of the material sounded familiar and likely reused, does anyone know how much if any new Madlib material was there?

#114 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

From what I remember some of the material sounded familiar and likely reused, does anyone know how much if any new Madlib material was there?

i didn't hear any new material when i went to go see it in theatres...i recognized every single beat.  i remember even being disappointed after the screening because they weren't "new-new" beats to any of us that are familiar with the unreleased shit that's floating around out there.  maybe there are some new beats, but i certainly don't remember hearing them...

• GC90 likes this

#115 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

That's why I don't hunt torrented unreleased stuff. It ruins releases like this.
  • SunnyMeadowz likes this

#116 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

That's why I don't hunt torrented unreleased stuff. It ruins releases like this.

Damn straight!! I have absolutely no problem waiting for an official release from my favorite artists.

Now if I was buddies with Otis and he wanted to give me a CD full of beats I'm not gonna tell the man 'No'; but that's a whole other story.

• Dirty Cyclist likes this

#117 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

Saw some parts of this thing-and found it to lack artistic merit.

#118 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:10 PM

^ that's the word on the street. I don't want to watch because frankly, I'm afraid I'll be bored.

#119 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:19 AM

Kanye was pointless.

Kanye was a draw card big name... Aimed at people who are unaware of stones throw to get them intrigued in the movie, hence the reason he gets mentioned in most of the promotions/trailers. Most smaller budget docos will try and get at least 1 major name to drop a few lines to try and capitalize on their fan base and the general public ('oh hey, that's kanye west!' type shit). Same with snoop, he was practically pointless also...

I've seen it twice now, once on digital and once at a screening that had a super awkward Q and A with wolf afterwards (not his fault though, the venue was very poorly organized). I have to say I quite enjoyed it both times. Sure the focus was set on a smaller group of the bigger family and some people didn't get much screen time (or any), and the flow was a bit miss-jointed in a few areas but taking in to account the size of the stones throw family and all the different life styles and working schedules plus the movies budget and the fact that not all these people/artists live in LA... I think it did an o.k job.

It definitely didn't leave me disappointed. I got a good look in to the culture and back story of a few of my favorite artists. The strongest portion of the movie is definitely the beginning of the Madlib sequence up until the dilla passing (but maybe I'm just biased). And overall it definitely lacked insight into the actual creative and artistic process. Illustrated by the fact that one of the biggest highlights of the whole film (for me) was the 30 second sequence of jon wayne making a beat... 

Solid 7/10 from me.

I wouldn't NOT recommended watching it, but by no means would I say it's essential viewing.

• Dirty Cyclist likes this

#120 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

^^ perfect review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users