40 replies to this topic

#1 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

Anyone got a What.CD invite? i've been looking for one for a while now, it seems impossible to get. I went through the interview but failed cause I got 2 questions wrong out of like 100 questions. If anyone can hook me up with an invite I would greatly appreciate it.

#2 Constrobuz

Constrobuz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

what.cd is bullshit, the community are a bunch of elitist retards and the mods are ego trippin wannabe audiophile nerds. plus websites like filestube.com render what.cd obsolete.
  • DJ Primate and KieranCrawford like this

#3 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

yea it does seem like they are a bit over the top... I mean seriously, I failed the interview because I got just 2 questions wrong I thought that was fucking bullshit. But I want to join cause it seems like they have the largest music collection in terms of private trackers and they keep their shit really organized and high quality from what I hear.... you don't find that on filestube. I just would like to try it out and see what's the big deal about it

#4 Constrobuz

Constrobuz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

i mean if you're an audiophile with super expensive gear then yeah what.cd is the place to be with all their .flac recordings but if youre the average person that listens to music in your car, at home or out somewhere with headphones, and maybe at home with a typical modest setup then theres really no point.

#5 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

I am a member and to earn invites you have to either make a donation (2 automatic invites) or be an elite member, which I am not. BTW, if it were easy to get into.. everyone would do it. I was invited myself. The catch is you have to completely understand the rules or you could get banned. And if you get banned for any reason, the person who invited you will also be banned so you have to be very cautious about who you invite.. namean sun!

#6 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

How do you make a donation? is there a link anywhere?

#7 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

Yeah, but you have to be a member to make a donation.

#8 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

what.cd is bullshit, the community are a bunch of elitist retards and the mods are ego trippin wannabe audiophile nerds. plus websites like filestube.com render what.cd obsolete.

agreed. what.cd is too over the top with their rules sometimes. yeah, they have a lot of music, but nothing you shouldn't be able to find if you look hard enough.

#9 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

y'all are stupid

#10 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

y'all are stupid

why is that?

#11 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

Sorry, not trying to flame. But y'all shouldn't be discussing this shit here

#12 KieranCrawford

KieranCrawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

its tight

#13 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

So, once you are in, you have acces to uploaded recordings of rare, popular records? Old jazz shit etc?

#14 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

So, once you are in, you have acces to uploaded recordings of rare, popular records? Old jazz shit etc?

from what i've heard, yes.

#15 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

from what i've heard, yes.

don't believe the hype yo, it's not really that great of a tracker. like I said, if you know where to look, you can get all the stuff they have without having to go through elitist audiophile hell.

#16 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

don't believe the hype yo, it's not really that great of a tracker. like I said, if you know where to look, you can get all the stuff they have without having to go through elitist audiophile hell.

Well im just tired of looking, I would rather join the what.cd community and know that im getting stuff in the highest quality possible

#17 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

For now I am cool with YouTube. One day, when I have a super quality listening room, the I'll look into it.

#18 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:02 AM

What.CD is cool because for example, you search an artist.. lets say Flying Lotus. They will have every album (including japanese versions), dj mix, bootleg, singles, produced bys, remixes, compilations etc that he was involved in and you can choose what bit rate you want. You can't upload anything unless it's 192 or better and yes they have every genre. It's great for DJ's because you can get the high bitrate joints and they have tons of hard to find 12" singles. Don't forget you have to keep a minimum upload download ratio so you have to seed whatever torrents you download so other people can download from you.

#19 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

So, this is all lovely, but what about the artist? How is they gettin money? Or is making money from audio files a lost cause.

#20 KieranCrawford

KieranCrawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

So, this is all lovely, but what about the artist? How is they gettin money? Or is making money from audio files a lost cause.

it's still the same concept as like TheParrotBay. You upload and download torrents. but what.cd is super duper strict and mostly assholes who are more interested in bossing ppl around. try it out. you have to go through a lot of shit though honestly. youd better know your computer inside and out.

#21 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

Wow. That is a skip for me then. What do you mean? its not just, find file, download

#22 scojo

scojo

Rookie

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

Sorry, not trying to flame. But y'all shouldn't be discussing this shit here

This.

#23 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

Wow. That is a skip for me then. What do you mean? its not just, find file, download

I just got in yesterday... and I gotta say it's the best music download site I have EVER seen. They have fucking everything and in the best quality, you can't even buy the music they got on itunes or amazon, and itunes doesnt even carry anything higher than like 128 kbs which sucks. Plus what.cd has TONS of amazing vinyl rips. It's worth going through a 2 hour interview to get in.

Although you can forget about keeping a good ratio by just seeding... it's never gonna happen. You actually need to upload something to the site if you even want to have a chance of keeping your minimum ratio. The site has over 1 million seeders and only 50,000 leechers... it's insane

#24 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

I like vinyl. Plus I don't have to go through an interview process to dig in the crates. There is also something inherently awesome in discovering new music without the click of a button or a search bar, maybe my 25 years of life have just made me an old fogey. When I first started downloading via teh internetz I was on some private forum and I was able to 'get' any old school rap release I could imagine. Years later though I don't listen to any of those recordings and when/if I do come across them when I'm digging either wax or cds I jump at the opportunity to have the physical release as opposed to the digitized ones and twos calling itself the same thing.

This thread is the first I've ever heard of what.cd but I'm already knowing it is not a corner of the information superhighway I'm very likely to be excited about.

Posted Image
  • DJ Projexion likes this

#25 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

When MJ died, I downloaded all of his shit and my ratio skyrocketed!! The trick is to download (even if you dont want it) the most popular torrents when they first come out then your ratio will increase. Thats why they have the top 10 lists. Also look for "free-leaches".

#26 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

Plus I don't have to go through an interview process to dig in the crates

except when you go to one of those spots where the dealer is a total douche and treats you like you are always trying to be shiesty and get one over on him, he won't let you look at the dope stash he let your buddy look at cause its 'in the back room buried underneath a bunch of stuff', 95% of the 'common' shit you pull out is being over priced like crazy, and all you're tryin to do is walk out with something fresh, but you can't give up the spot cause of the (very) few times you walked away with something incredibly dope for a great price

#27 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

except when you go to one of those spots where the dealer is a total douche and treats you like you are always trying to be shiesty and get one over on him, he won't let you look at the dope stash he let your buddy look at cause its 'in the back room buried underneath a bunch of stuff', 95% of the 'common' shit you pull out is being over priced like crazy, and all you're tryin to do is walk out with something fresh, but you can't give up the spot cause of the (very) few times you walked away with something incredibly dope for a great price

Yeah but you know what, all that shit you just laid out there and a million other hassles are the trials and tribulations of true diggers. It's not for everyone, but for me all that shit you gotta go through makes finding that one gem all that much sweeter. You can't get that level of appreciation from a computer file. No comparison.
  • SunnyMeadowz likes this

#28 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

What's this ratio biz all about?

#29 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

What's this ratio biz all about?

\

you can't just go willy nilly grabbing everything. you have to keep your upload/download ratio positive to stay a member.

#30 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

Right. Is one song for one album cool? Or is that a negative? And what if what you have is already uploaded? Does that mean your upload does not count?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users