64 replies to this topic

#31 dantuf

dantuf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/dantuf

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:15 AM

Some dope beats this week ... Great rules with the no quantise - shame I missed it.
Few people didn't quite get it ...
Fav'd my favs

Top 3

3: stanscrates 👊
2: sample sickness 👊👊
1: Obi dan kenobi !!!!! 👊👊👊 winner

No jazzy colour fonts on my iPhone
  • steezo likes this

#32 Darre

Darre

Rookie

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:30 AM

My favourites this week was

LOUPO and rumpetaske great work on boh flips. I really liked the relaxing sounds they both had!

But my vote goes to

LOUPO

#33 Sample Sickness

Sample Sickness

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

KOMMERZKLAUS

#34 Filozway

Filozway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Soundcloud:soundcloud.com/filozway

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

Dope round guys! here are my favs:
Qodak, LOUPO, MellowYouth, FredsonJacobs, Beatologist, Shane Christakis, DJ Dantuf, SFT, ButtaSlick aka Mr Judo Joe, KommerzKlaus, mcbublick, Jondis, Obi-Dan-Kenobi, DJ Sapien, Stancrates, Enzo & Beatfux!

KommerzKlaus / SFT

MellowYouth

#35 kommerzklaus

kommerzklaus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Soundcloud:soundcloud.com/kommerzklaus

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

Didn't mean to open a can of worms with the FlyLo thing, but Sev, it's not fair to say its just shakers and some side chaining. The syncopated, wonky beats with late snares, the rampant use of square wave bass, the simple organesque chord lines, tamourines or sleighbells on top of snares...

I've no problem with people taking inspiration from FlyLo, Dilla, or anyone else, but don't play dumb when someone knows where your inspiration lies.

Hiphop would sound much different without trailblazers like FlyLo doing THEIR OWN sound, and when you talk about "listening to more music", you're probably referring to the many other artists who sounded like FlyLo, after FlyLo sounded like FlyLo.

KommerzKlaus I don't believe you "don't understand" the FlyLo comparisons. Your work is amazing, but you have that Flying Lotus sound down to a T and you should be proud of it. It's not easy to do it so well.

If you want to tell me I'm just jealous, I've no problem with that. I wouldn't dispute your talent, but seriously, you are "hurt" when someone compares your work to Flying Lotus? Come on now!

Like I said, I didnt want to get defensive about these statements and just accepted them as compliments, but I see myself forced to respond to this.

You are incredibly wrong with your "jealous" interpretation and criminally simplified my "hurt" statement.

I dont know you at all, so I would never assume the right to make a psychological internet analysis of one slightly cryptic sentence of yours, especially I would never tag that shit with a trait like "jealous".
What I meant with "subcontext" is probably some kind of hidden criticism (hidden behind the curtains of saracasm, as people in general tend to that, when they dont feel secure to criticise openly). And that critique would have been: "Dude, you are emulating".
Concerning that ONE sentence, I simply wrote: I dont know what to think about that.... I didnt even evaluate and judge actually.

Second, I'm not hurt simply by the fact one compares me with FlyLo.
At least it's not fucking overhyped Jonwayne or some other bullshit beatmaker. It's when somebody says "Flying-Lotus of the week goes to" and half of the comments deal with it.
Maybe I am a fucking over-sensitive guy, I dont know, but this is the point where I really start to doubt my work. I know it's impossible to be an originator, except for god (if he exists), but I think it is a serious and important desire of everyone of us to be original.
So to put something of your inner into that shit and have the feeling that once in this mainly fake world, things were real, that you had an authentic, emotional conversation with the music you made.

And it "hurts" (or doesnt feel good) when so many people tell you: "you sound like flylo" as it actually means to me (when it happens in that quantitiy like this time): you had no real conversation with the music, you werent yourself, you werent real. you tried to be someone else. that would take away my belief in that therapeutic purpose music has in my life and THAT hurts.

i really did not intend to offend you zexual, if that happened anyway.

cheers
  • Sev Seveer and ZexuaI like this

#36 Obi-Dan-Kenobi

Obi-Dan-Kenobi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

Dope round guys! here are my favs:
Qodak, LOUPO, MellowYouth, FredsonJacobs, Beatologist, Shane Christakis, DJ Dantuf, SFT, ButtaSlick aka Mr Judo Joe, KommerzKlaus, mcbublick, Jondis, Obi-Dan-Kenobi, DJ Sapien, Stancrates, Enzo & Beatfux!

KommerzKlaus / SFT

MellowYouth

Yeah that DJ Dan Tuf tune man, he didn't enter though dude ha ha!! dam he's good got a mention when he didn't make a beat :lol:

#37 Pickled Beets

Pickled Beets

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much what ever your interested in.
  • Soundcloud:Pickled Beets

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:07 AM

all im guna say is wow. what a week. now one quick point/question. i only get like 50 listens on my battle beet. i understand peeps wont wana listen to it more than once. but is this average or are peeps just skipping my ish or...? any whoo... just a question i had. Jondis

Sorry that sounds winey but i just hope every one (not just me) is getting a fair chance is all.

Edited by Pickled Beets, 14 September 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#38 dantuf

dantuf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/dantuf

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

Yeah that DJ Dan Tuf tune man, he didn't enter though dude ha ha!! dam he's good got a mention when he didn't make a beat :lol:

Ha ha thanks for the shout out man !! 😜

#39 WhyNOT!?!

WhyNOT!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

Jondis!!!!

#40 Ogi feel the Beat

Ogi feel the Beat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:http://www.youtube.com/user/Dofcompany
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/ogiftb http://soundcloud.com/oftb2

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

KommerzKlaus

Rozay you got to forgive everithyng, after that track :=)))

#41 steezo

steezo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/stanscrates

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

<< Did I miss some sort of crazy debate earlier on? Anyway: my favorite Joints

LOUPO >> Dat shit mello
KommerzKlaus >> Dat shit cray…

WINNER:::

,,,J0ndis >> Dats my shit right thurr cuz! ;)

#42 Constrobuz

Constrobuz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

all im guna say is wow. what a week. now one quick point/question. i only get like 50 listens on my battle beet. i understand peeps wont wana listen to it more than once. but is this average or are peeps just skipping my ish or...? any whoo... just a question i had.

i'm no soundcloud expert but im not sure what constitutes as a play on the website. because i only listen to like 5 or 10 seconds of most of the beats because there are so many to listen to (when i narrow it down to like 2 or 3 or 4 top beats, then i listen to them in their entirety). but im assuming that wouldnt count towards a song's play count, i'm guessing you have to listen to at least 30 seconds maybe, or a certain percentage of the track.
  • Pickled Beets likes this

#43 mcbublick

mcbublick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

Like I said, I didnt want to get defensive about these statements and just accepted them as compliments, but I see myself forced to respond to this.

You are incredibly wrong with your "jealous" interpretation and criminally simplified my "hurt" statement.

I dont know you at all, so I would never assume the right to make a psychological internet analysis of one slightly cryptic sentence of yours, especially I would never tag that shit with a trait like "jealous".
What I meant with "subcontext" is probably some kind of hidden criticism (hidden behind the curtains of saracasm, as people in general tend to that, when they dont feel secure to criticise openly). And that critique would have been: "Dude, you are emulating".
Concerning that ONE sentence, I simply wrote: I dont know what to think about that.... I didnt even evaluate and judge actually.

Second, I'm not hurt simply by the fact one compares me with FlyLo.
At least it's not fucking overhyped Jonwayne or some other bullshit beatmaker. It's when somebody says "Flying-Lotus of the week goes to" and half of the comments deal with it.
Maybe I am a fucking over-sensitive guy, I dont know, but this is the point where I really start to doubt my work. I know it's impossible to be an originator, except for god (if he exists), but I think it is a serious and important desire of everyone of us to be original.
So to put something of your inner into that shit and have the feeling that once in this mainly fake world, things were real, that you had an authentic, emotional conversation with the music you made.

And it "hurts" (or doesnt feel good) when so many people tell you: "you sound like flylo" as it actually means to me (when it happens in that quantitiy like this time): you had no real conversation with the music, you werent yourself, you werent real. you tried to be someone else. that would take away my belief in that therapeutic purpose music has in my life and THAT hurts.

i really did not intend to offend you zexual, if that happened anyway.

cheers

As i see it , ideas dont belong to no one. they come from above and reach us all, history is full of examples where people in diff places in the world dicovered new things almost at the same time.

Just so happen to be that FLYlotus spread that style, dont mean u cant vibe to it and still be an originator.

Its simply a style. a sub-genre if u will.

You wont get offended if someone tells you : "yo, this sounds like hiphop"

even more to say, this is a style admired by many and well appriciated. its truly a compliment

i cudve said the same thing about a beat and truly mean it in the best way.
  • ZexuaI and em seven like this

#44 Speekless

Speekless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://www.soundcloud.com/speekless

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

rumpetaske - Dj Sapien - j0ndis - SFT - Kommerzklaus

Also digged: Ogi, mcbublick, Sev Seveer, Jones Fosho, stanscrates, Loupo, shane christakis, Filozway, SG Omen, enzoeyeris, fredson jacobs, 808th wonder, ras dude, dinobeatz, Alphanote, the real delirium, constrobuz, matmel, beatologist, anthony sample, ...

#45 Obi-Dan-Kenobi

Obi-Dan-Kenobi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

<< Did I miss some sort of crazy debate earlier on? Anyway: my favorite Joints

LOUPO >> Dat shit mello
KommerzKlaus >> Dat shit cray…

WINNER:::

,,,J0ndis >> Dats my shit right thurr cuz! ;)

Yup toys flying out the cot at all angles, just don't mention Flylo :lol:

#46 sft

sft

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Interests:Beats Rhymes & Life.

Facebook.com/sftbeats
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/sftbeats

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

J0ndis the Great!

#47 R.A.W.B.eats

R.A.W.B.eats

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

I dug all of these:

Oval Office 288 QodaK

STBB 288 big mac attack Shane Christakis

rozay forgave me #288# KommerzKlaus

My vote goes to:

S.F.T. - Ex. Peri. Mental. [BB 288] S. F. T.

#48 jonesfosho

jonesfosho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

le homies

Obi-Dan-Kenobi
MellowYouth
MatMel
S. F. T.
mcbublick
KommerzKlaus
DJSapien
Filozway
LOUPO
rumpetaske

made standout tracks

couldnt make a decision between my selection but ima go with

MellowYouth

props everyone

#49 Tep⟑ph✆ne

Tep⟑ph✆ne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Like 20% on some loan shark ish.
  • Soundcloud:tepaphone

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

mcbublick

#50 SPEAKEASY

SPEAKEASY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

What up everyone, I listened to em all last week without commenting and didn't have time to vote (yeah yeah cop out). Rest assured your fellow beatmaker Alpha is back to his old tricks, like typing in third person on occasion and generally acting like I know more than I do (you peaking too hard round 3k, you gonna want to side chain that eq to a comp..)

Anyway, there was some different work going around, great rules this round. I personally just played a few bars and looped my drums, I had a great thought Thursday that I should've beatboxed this round, maybe next time.

In terms of comparing your work to others, I'm okay with that, then again I think all art is stealing (just ask Tchaikovsky or William S Burroughs, hint: someone did). I think typing, "Someone call flying lotus, someone's jacking their sound!" is hilarious. I know Alpha personally likes jacking other beatmakers styles whenever he's able to. My last two "Trust Me Crank It" beats were directly influenced by Meerdat & Meerdat/Filowayz work the week/s before. Alpha also thinks everyone is jacking his style every time it gets played. Think about it like this, if you named your next track, "Someone call Dilla, I just jacked his style!!" you would fall ludicrously short of that goal and the comments you would read would hurt you deeply. However, if you do the reverse, it would make you feel like getting Slum Village back together.

Or don't listen to me. I must be f*cked up.

Style I'll Jack Next Week Goes To: Ogi one love

#51 OSŲ

OSŲ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:interests?

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

LMAO alphanote shyt is hilarious.

The funny thing is that I was listening to a shyt load of flylo this week, and I embraced my inner "lotus" on my submission, I was ready for some comparison comments but didn't get any! eyyyyyy

As for Kommerzklaus, I didn't hear the resemblance really.. the only thing it reminded me of was an old ass STB 232 beat by PLUSGA... and that's just the drums, but I know he couldn't have heard that.
Anywayx dope shyt.
  • em seven likes this

#52 buttaslick

buttaslick

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Interests:if they know the sample i`ve failed
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/ buttaslick

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

Jondis
S. F. T.
KommerzKlaus

DJSapien

MellowYouth
My pick this week

constrobuz

#53 Olos88

Olos88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

LOUPO

#54 jondis

jondis

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

sheeeiiiitt,, this group is killin it, this week had some gems,, hard for me to choose between Kommerz and Lopou,, and SFT, and Sapien,, and OSo ,, And Areou,, and Constrobuzz, and Sev,,AND Matmel,, aND 808th ,, AND S mf G Omen,, AND
Obi Dan,, Ogi ,, rumpetask,, Ymse, Filozway,,B. Seo , Stancrates.. enZo,, RAW B.. ASTRO > KODAQ,,,, Mirss ,, Dino . and Ras dude,,
DAM props ppl word tho preciate everyone's involvment and for chkin my beat

\,, anyways i vote

KommerzKlaus

#55 Areou

Areou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:....well yes music
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/areou

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

damn bunch of sickness....but....hmmm.....you know what.... I'm gonna go wit
wait...yahhh....

JOndis

god I hate voting with the crowd....fly shit all over not even going to attempt a list I'd have to list like 60 or more ya'll fly feels so good to be back

#56 ziggyt

ziggyt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:MAN E FACE
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/tangent1

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

if oso, constro, JOndis got together as some form of flyLO and then remade dirty chopsticks i"d listen to that allday prolly
and and mcbublick once gave me a mention when i never posted a beat thats why i dont post anymore, that was all i needed haha but for real tho

#57 MellowYouth

MellowYouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:32 PM

could say so much about everyone this round.
really impressed with these battles and aint no stoppin the inspiration.. thats the real!

tops for me

oso
loupo
fredson jacobs
areou
jones fo sho!!
shane christakis
ogi
kommerzklaus
SFT
and the jondis

my votes for DJSapien

#58 em seven

em seven

Rookie

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:PRAGMATIC THEORY CREW
    RHYTHM22.COM

ONE LOVE.
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/emseven

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

all im guna say is wow. what a week. now one quick point/question. i only get like 50 listens on my battle beet. i understand peeps wont wana listen to it more than once. but is this average or are peeps just skipping my ish or...? any whoo... just a question i had. Jondis

Sorry that sounds winey but i just hope every one (not just me) is getting a fair chance is all.

Your beats are bumpin dude, i noticed i've commented before on ur older stuff it jes doesn't really ring a bell seeing it on the boards.i'll look through again .mos def wld've considered to vote u ...ill stuff man love ur style.
  • Pickled Beets likes this

#59 em seven

em seven

Rookie

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:PRAGMATIC THEORY CREW
    RHYTHM22.COM

ONE LOVE.
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/emseven

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

miRSs
El Ron (Circle 8)
KommerzKlaus
Ogi feel the beat
QodaK
mcbublick
Fredson Jacobs
constrobuz
DJSapien

it was tight for me with mirRSs // KommerKlauz // mcbublick

gon go wit mirRSs cuz i can't get it out of my head :))

man is voting closed?? if so jes disregard then

#60 ferachi

ferachi

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/ferachi

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

I hope it's not too late to vote...

I find it really hard to pick just one. Everyone is so creative. I don't get a lot of time to mess with my music, so I'm not expecting much when I enter my work. I never imagined that I'd be getting the amount of plays and favorites that I have been. This is such an awesome community.

Now, on to my vote...

DJSapien

Your track literally blew my mind... Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users