• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:28 AM

Soundscans first week sales estimation via http://www.hiphopdx....ding-8-26-2012: JJ DOOM - Keys To The Kuffs - 3,300.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this figure. There are so many elements to take into account when assessing how an album sells, especially when the release is of the underground realm - - perhaps someone could help put this figure into greater persective.

However, I do wonder how thousands, and maybe even millions of people profress to be fans of the underground realm, particularly that of DOOM's, expend copious amounts of energy demanding new music and then not support the releases. This is a very real issue. So many of us complain about the lack of play and exposure "real Hip-Hop" gets and then fail to give varying companies reason to even speak of these releases. I don't expect Keys To The Kuffs to achieve anywhere close to even Gold status (I"m realistic) but at the rate its going, if the sales numbers are accurate, this album will have minimal longevity in the world of retail.

Please support the artists you favor.

#2 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:36 AM

goop post

geech

#3 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

personally I pre-ordered the vinyl, but I'd agree with all the above. a pretty rock solid explanation chevy, if one was necessary. Lex obviously doesn't promote for shit, probably because they can't afford to do much. as somebody who pretty much every week (compulsively) googles hoping for new info on the villain, I know I'm in that rarified zone of obsessed fans (like a bunch of you I'm assuming), which is pretty much the only way to stay "current" on whatever's going on with DOOM. stuff might appear on pitchfork, but unless you're a huge fan, it'll probably drop off your radar. the highest profile I can think of DOOM having was doing all those christmas bumps for [adult swim] back in the day. But he'd rather jack the same people again and again with ridiculous and endless re-releases than try to expand his base I guess. Though damn has it been a long time since I saw him in a video...
  • gEEchieDan likes this

#4 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

I agree w/ and understand the points you made. I guess in the context you provided, 3,300 units isn't too bad. I have yet to listen to the record - - I ordered it online and am still waiting for it to be shipped - - so I will refrain from assessing the actual product. I'm generally astounded by DOOM's musical skill so I do have a certain level of expectation and regard for anything he puts out.

Ultimately, I only wish for artists that exemplify a greater level of skill and substance in their music to receive greater reward - - as a student and fan of the Hip-Hop sub-culture, it pains me to see artists like DOOM struggle to sell well...especially when artists like 2Chainz don't (no disrespect to 2Chainz). This idea is a bit frustrating.

Anyways, let me know why you feel my initial post to be "silly" and I will do my best to avoide posting anything of that nature again. Seriously
  • gEEchieDan likes this

#5 Jadoe

Jadoe

ch-POW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

chevy said all there is to say

#6 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,018 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

chevy said all there is to say

Thread Closed. Thanks for visiting.

#7 zmister

zmister

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:30 AM

DIS THREAD OPEN!!

#8 Pattch82

Pattch82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:39 AM

3300 is a decent number for an indie label release these days.

I remember a thread similar to this on the WuTang Corp forum a few years ago when Killah Priest was dropping albums left, right and centre. He dropped 'Behind The Stained Glass' on an indie label which probably had even less of a budget than Lex. So pretty much no one outside of the die hard Wu-Tang fans knew that the album was dropping. I think it moved 800 copies in total!! There was alot of hype on Wu forums about the album, but it translated into a meagre 800 sales total!!!

Marketing is important, but so is dropping a product that makes the customer want to BUY rather than Download.

Cilvaringz, another Wu-Tang affiliate, did something like this when he released his 'I' album, he included a bonus DVD with truckloads of features, also included a DVD-ROM with detailed breakdowns of all the tracks and a load of other information. Basically he put out a package that made you WANT to own it, rather than just download.

Cheers!

#9 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:41 AM

it pains me to see artists like DOOM struggle to sell well...especially when artists like 2Chainz don't (no disrespect to 2Chainz). This idea is a bit frustrating.

lol you just didnt compare Doom with Tity Boy Dos Necklaces?! Two Chainz flooded the music scene, he was basically shoved down your throat, like it or not. People jumped on his tracks like crazy, remixes left and right. Two Chainz is working and has a great promotional team behind him. Doom does not. I mean, nobody knows how he really looks like - how would a guy like that do good promo? It doesn't help that he's sending imposters to concerts again, but maybe that's his kind of promo...who knows.

#10 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,018 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:43 AM

I mean, nobody knows how he really looks like - how would a guy like that do good promo? It doesn't help that he's sending imposters to concerts again, but maybe that's his kind of promo...who knows.

Actually that's the kind of promotion that works for The Villain. Remain semi-anonymous and get people intrigued, Ghostface did this when the Wu first came out. Send impostors to your shows and your bound to get some publicity from it. And as the old saying goes, 'There is no such thing as bad publicity.' Yeah, these tactics might not reach/appeal to the masses but it will always generate enough interest from at least a few thousand mother fuckers.
  • ynqhead likes this

#11 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

From the LA Weekly article about Stones Throw last year:

"Madvillainy, the (label's) top seller, has moved just north of 150,000 copies".

That's not a whole lot when you consider how mainstream records sell ridiculous numbers and aren't even near half as good. So I think more than 3,000 in one week ain't as bad though it's not quite tippin’ scales / Let alone the pre-orders that's counted off shippin’ sales...

(This one goes out to all my peoples skippin’ bail / Dippin’ jail, whippin’ tail and sippin’ ale)

#12 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

am i the only one who wonders how much underground artist like Doom and Madlib

have in their bank accounts?

not that i give a FK

BUT

like really tho

geech!

#13 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

DIS THREAD OPEN!!

zmister to the rescue.

Marketing is important, but so is dropping a product that makes the customer want to BUY rather than Download.

I agree. MM..Food was packaged in absolute genius fashion. Respect to Rhymesayers Entertainment and all other parties involved in the creative process.

#14 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:56 AM

I dont get why artists release the full albums for free? Why not ONLY give samples? And behead anyone who posts full tunes online.

#15 Machiventa

Machiventa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Interests:Love, Hugs, & Hip Hop Soul

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

am i the only one who wonders how much underground artist like Doom and Madlib

have in their bank accounts?

not that i give a FK

BUT

like really tho

geech!

Well I know Doom has asked 30,000 for a show so....

#16 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

cool i always wondered how much these artist actually make

dj'ing and as far as album sales n stuff

30gs a show is great doom n lib should be well off

thanks for the feedback

gee-chie

#17 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

That's like $1,000 per minute. Damn, talk about raking in grands!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users