• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#91 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

Yeah, 'Father's Day' is my shit.
  • James Frank. likes this

#92 Jimmyfunkvalve

Jimmyfunkvalve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

Oh yeah, Father's Day is mad nice but I'm mostly feeling the 3-track run of Survival, Good Leaf & Get Mine.

They sit together really well and for some reason make me think of some mellow vintage RZA-type production that never was.

#93 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:13 AM

I'm mostly feeling the 3-track run of Survival, Good Leaf & Get Mine.

They sit together really well.

Yessir. The whole tape flows incredibly well with the production. Definitely agree with JF. about this being the second best release so far for '14.

#94 GC90

GC90

waxramble / Discogs / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

Haven't listened to much of his stuff but picked up Raw Money Raps on wax while in Chicago this weekend (noticed a lot of it was Flylo production), pretty good record

#95 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

Haven't listened to much of his stuff but picked up Raw Money Raps on wax while in Chicago this weekend (noticed a lot of it was Flylo production), pretty good record

Only one track was produced by Flylo

#96 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:12 PM

Only one track was produced by Flylo

Looked it up, you're right! I only got a chance to listen to it once (still waiting for coworker to bring back my records from trip) but I guess I misread the back of the cover thinking all but one track was produced by Flylo

#97 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:18 AM

Haven't listened to much of his stuff

I'm actually late to the party as well seeing that this is the first release of his I've listened to and I'm quite impressed with everything from production, track sequencing, and vocals. Thanks for waking me up JF.!
  • James Frank. likes this

#98 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

The beat on Chocolate City is hilarious.

#99 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

Raw Money Raps is the first project that exposed a lot of people to JJ, and i think that's why he might be getting slept on so much.  compared to all his other output, that is a weird fucking album...a lot of tracks are just aimless sound collages and breathy singing, not very hip-hop-oriented tbh.  but pretty much all of his other releases showcase this dude's talent not only for producing beats, but rapping and exploring concepts throughout an entire album--something that isn't done very often anymore.  but what i've noticed is with every single project he releases he improves that much more.  so if you checked out RMR and thought "mehh", definitely give dude a second chance and check out either this or Bad Jokes...you won't be sorry.

• GC90 likes this

#100 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

I like all the weird stuff, but have started listening to other tracks from him last night/today and it's all pretty great. Hard to go wrong with anything Brainfeeder related though. 

Forgot he was on this one! 

#101 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

I checked him out when he put out dxnce... Honestly didn't feel that shit AT ALL. Should I revisit though?

#102 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

yes, Grifty, you should.  that shit's like 5 years old, i think that was right around the time he first started getting FlyLo to pay attention to him...he might have still been going by Jae R at that point.

#103 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

Revisit DXNCE if you didn't like it? It's less hip hoppy than his other releases. It's probably my favorite release from him besides RMR.

I would dive straight into Bad Jokes like James Frank said, or his Dirty Collections.

#104 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

I would dive straight into Bad Jokes like James Frank. said, or his Dirty Collections.

don't forget the period ;)

#105 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

Hard to go wrong with anything Brainfeeder related though.

What the fuck has happened to BF over the last four years? It seems like they've been getting their ST on by just letting artists straight disappear or winding up releasing shit through some other label. I had high hopes for BF circa 2010 but at this point I don't pay a lick of attention to what they're doing since it became all Thundercat all the time awhile back.
  • GC90 likes this

#106 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:05 PM

I've been bumping manifestations by mono poly all day. What happened to that fool???? I agree sunny it just kinda fell off and honestly so has flylo somewhat

#107 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:21 PM

I've been bumping manifestations by mono poly all day. What happened to that fool???? I agree sunny it just kinda fell off and honestly so has flylo somewhat

http://thehitandrun....bs-deluxe-hnr22

#108 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

I've been bumping manifestations by mono poly all day. What happened to that fool????

Dude you read my fucking mind!!! I was actually just thinking of Mono/Poly the other day and that's what got me started on this whole 'BF fell off' tip.

Dude was nice, I saw him and Ras G a few years back here in Denver and he absolutely killed his set. I was probably one of three people who knew who he was that night bc everyone else came to see some wack ass dub step artist name Opioh or some shit (Opio from Souls of Mischeif was also in the building which made things extremely confusing lol).

But you can basically say the same for Sam Baker, dude dropped his 'official' album almost three years ago after years of YouTube hype and then disappeared back into that Koala habitat or some shit. He's actually coming to town in a couple weeks with Ras G too but I'm gonna miss it bc I make donuts in the middle of the night for work. Kinda bummed bc I've yet to ever see him live.

#109 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

What the fuck has happened to BF over the last four years? It seems like they've been getting their ST on by just letting artists straight disappear or winding up releasing shit through some other label. I had high hopes for BF circa 2010 but at this point I don't pay a lick of attention to what they're doing since it became all Thundercat all the time awhile back.

Yeah been pretty heavy on Flylo/Thundercat for awhile, I'm definitely looking forward to The Underachievers first album that's out sometime this year though. (Wish Indigoism would get a release on wax)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users