#1 PuertoNico

PuertoNico

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

so absolutely no talk about this guy ?
clouds was incredible. the left ? check. collabo with o.c. ? coming these days and seems to be hot like fire. he maybe doesn't dig that deep in the crates for his samples, but he's still huge in my opinion.
some more ?

#2 flowmontana71

flowmontana71

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

(Pretty Ironic)....I just put 'Trophies' on the iPod this weekend...peeped it on my way to work today....

Him and O.C. sound real good together...pretty tight album.....must agree with the crate diggin...but who cares these days...

Just give me that Boom-Bap...and I'm good...

http://flowmontana71.podomatic.com
http://soundcloud.com/fm71
'Satellite Sounds'

#3 Taskmaster2112

Taskmaster2112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:54 PM

His album with Hassaan Mackey called "Daily Bread" was one of the best rap records of 2011. "Clouds" was dope too and I cannot wait for the O.C. record.

#4 Machiventa

Machiventa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Interests:Love, Hugs, & Hip Hop Soul

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

^^ The OC album is really dope, you'll like it.

For the most part I like Apollo's beats and yeah he can be a bit too one dimensional and sound the same, but as flowmontana said just give me some boom bap and it's all good.

#5 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

Apollo Brown is cool. The Left is a dope LP, Clouds has some amazing beats but I didn't really dig the Hassan Mackey LP. The one with OC is good though, but I need to spin that record more often.

But he's not the best beat maker in the MMG camp. That title belongs to Oddisee. Him and Damu The Fudge Munk are crazily talented

#6 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

But he's not the best beat maker in the MMG camp. That title belongs to Oddisee.

When did Oddisee sign with Rick Ross?

#7 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:02 AM

Haha, I was talking about the better MMG label aka Mello Music Group ;)

#8 PuertoNico

PuertoNico

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

But he's not the best beat maker in the MMG camp. That title belongs to Oddisee. Him and Damu The Fudge Munk are crazily talented

i def. think he can battle Oddisee for that title. love the work of both, tough

#9 Goodz047

Goodz047

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Wax

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:37 AM

Was just listening to thirty eight... 

a0928469581_10.jpg

"Thirty Eight sounds like Detroit transitioning from Heroin to Crack in the late 70s and early 80s." 

Apollo Brown's Thirty Eight is a contemporary throwback, inhabiting the realm of reverent reinvention and innovation. It deftly bridges the gap between '70s Blaxploitation soundtracks (e.g. Curtis Mayfield or Marvin Gaye) and the hip-hop records that sampled from them. 

The tracks on Thirty Eight are presented in gritty, heavily saturated Technicolor, the scratches and cigarette burns as purposeful as they are happily accidental. These are suites sounding from long barrels held by lone men lurking in grimy project hallways. Tinged with revenge and regret, shrouded in thick tendrils of hollow-point smoke, the songs have all the makings of an epic gangster tragedy. They're also great when paired with anything Raymond Chandler. 

Crackle and sample hiss run like electric current throughout, charging the record with a retro feel and resonant warmth. Yet these qualities are only secondary to Brown's impeccable ear for instrumentation. Thirty Eight is full of funk, soul, jazz, blues, hip-hop, and everything in between. The bluesy guitar twang of slow-burner "Black Suits" and the lush, orchestral strings of "The Warning" are just two examples of the depth and diversity Brown brings to the table. 

All singing on the album comes in the form of brief samples, some high-pitched and sped up, others left untouched. Taken together, they amount to glimpses of an emotionally affecting narrative, enabling the listener to fill in the plot and words between the booms and baps.

#10 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:34 AM

Was a fan of the album, but there's one beat on there that is SUPER fucking annoying and almost ruined the entire record for me. 

Seriously the worst beat I've ever heard from Apollo Brown and is probably one of the worst beats I've ever heard lol . I'd spin this record way more often if it wasn't for that one. 

• Goodz047 and EdTheYounger like this

#11 Goodz047

Goodz047

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Wax

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:15 PM

i agree with you, he definately overused that sample ... could of come out sounding a lot nicer, the nas sample was dope

How does it sound on vinyl? I heard a few beats didn't make it on there

#12 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:31 PM

i agree with you, he definately overused that sample ... could of come out sounding a lot nicer, the nas sample was dope

How does it sound on vinyl? I heard a few beats didn't make it on there

I've only threw it on the turntable a few times when it came out honestly, from what I remember sounded pretty good (kinda nice it came in just black wax at first). I do believe a beat or two weren't on it, don't remember which ones but I wish it was that fucking Shotguns in Hell beat! lol

I've noticed MMG drop a song or too from the vinyl versions recently, they also didn't put on one of the better tracks from that Oddisee Tangible Dream record. 

I'm still trying to figure out how that Shotguns in Hell made it on the album, you would have thought someone would have been annoyed listening to it before they put it out lol

Edit: Weak, looks like the answer was taken off the vinyl version. Will have to verify this when home, sucks since that was one of my favorites. 

Hmmmm or maybe not (I think I would have remembered if that track wasn't on wax), one dude says it's complete on Discogs -- http://www.discogs.c...=5768944#latest . Will see when home. 

#13 spanishFLU

spanishFLU

Rookie

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/looseleafny

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:35 PM

I've only threw it on the turntable a few times when it came out honestly, from what I remember sounded pretty good (kinda nice it came in just black wax at first). I do believe a beat or two weren't on it, don't remember which ones but I wish it was that fucking Shotguns in Hell beat! lol

I've noticed MMG drop a song or too from the vinyl versions recently, they also didn't put on one of the better tracks from that Oddisee Tangible Dream record. 

I'm still trying to figure out how that Shotguns in Hell made it on the album, you would have thought someone would have been annoyed listening to it before they put it out lol

Edit: Weak, looks like the answer was taken off the vinyl version. Will have to verify this when home, sucks since that was one of my favorites. 

Hmmmm or maybe not (I think I would have remembered if that track wasn't on wax), one dude says it's complete on Discogs -- http://www.discogs.c...=5768944#latest . Will see when home. 

Mine came with a separate 45, maybe thats it?

#14 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:49 AM

Hahaha, glad to know I wasn't the only one getting annoyed by that track. It seriously fucks up the flow of the album to me. Otherwise a nice album. I know Apollo Brown doesn't want to change his style too much and he will stick to his formula...so I hope he won't suffer from the 9th Wonder syndrom.

• Goodz047, GC90, felixherandez and 1 other like this

#15 felixherandez

felixherandez

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:51 AM

Lmao "9th Wonder syndrom" That's so true!

#16 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:56 AM

Hahaha, glad to know I wasn't the only one getting annoyed by that track. It seriously fucks up the flow of the album to me. Otherwise a nice album.

I actually removed it from my digital version, album improved a million times by that lol

#17 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:Black Coffee
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/edtheyounger

Posted Yesterday, 12:29 PM

Was a fan of the album, but there's one beat on there that is SUPER fucking annoying and almost ruined the entire record for me. 

Seriously the worst beat I've ever heard from Apollo Brown and is probably one of the worst beats I've ever heard lol . I'd spin this record way more often if it wasn't for that one.

My friend said the exact same thing, I have to agree. I don't know how this beat made it through the mixing stage... I couldn't listen to the whole thing through once without having to skip because of how annoying it is. Imagine sitting at a mixing console for 5-10 hours with it on loop! Surprised no one said anything to Apollo... I mean I'm sure he showed people the album before it was finalised right?
  • GC90 likes this

#18 4444

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:27 PM

Hmm, don't really mind it personally. It is kinda long for that kind of an "instrumental". As a track it would probably work with having nonstop rhymes, no chorus. Reminds me of an ill Bob Digi loop.

#19 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/1stn3rd

Posted Yesterday, 01:35 PM

Hmm, don't really mind it personally. It is kinda long for that kind of an "instrumental". As a track it would probably work with having nonstop rhymes, no chorus. Reminds me of an ill Bob Digi loop.

This raw, simple minimalist stuff is exactly why I love RZA. First music I ever listened to high.

#20 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted Yesterday, 01:53 PM

i was immediately thinking rza myself.  i didn't mind it so much but my girl was like PLEASE TURN THAT OFF

• GC90 and EdTheYounger like this

#21 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:26 PM

I just think he overused the sample personally. It sounds dope when I comes in but then it's just like.... Eugh.... Enough already!
  • GC90 likes this

#22 norieaster

norieaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:51 PM

i'm curious if y'all like the version with roc marciano on it

in my mind roc always improves a track

#23 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:26 PM

YES! I was gonna bring up how I was listening to Liquid Swords the other day, it's like he was trying to copy some RZA thing or something

i'm curious if y'all like the version with roc marciano on it

in my mind roc always improves a track

Improves it like 1%, the sample is still too distracting lol
  • EdTheYounger likes this

#24 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts