#1 Dylect

Dylect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Samples-Vinyl-Beats-Music-Rollerblading
  • Soundcloud:http://www.soundcloud.com/jordan86

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

What kind of filters or fx do you guys use on your samples?

Lately i'm trying all kinds of filters and fx but i can't get it to sound right.
So i wonder what kind of filters and/or fx you use and how to use them well so you'll get that nice sound (like Jay Dee, Madlib, Oh No etc.)

Thanks!!

#2 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

I use a combination of the Northpole VST and the Coyote Wah VST ... to give my samples that golden era heavy filtered "wah wah" that Pete Rock made so famous back in the day ...

#3 De La Soulviet

De La Soulviet

Rookie

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Q-Tipokratiya
  • Soundcloud:delasoulviet

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

Sherman Filterbank is sick

#4 Guts

Guts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Mario

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

The types of filters aren't as important as how you use each effect. The Key to getting a good sound is experimentation. PRACTICE PRACTICE.
  • ZexuaI likes this

#5 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

Agreed. Since most of them produce their own kind of output, it's best to just play around with different ones until you find the sound you like and PRACTICE.

#6 ZexuaI

ZexuaI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/zexual

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:55 AM

Yeah, I think really obvious effects can sound tacky unless you’re doing something like IDM or dustep, and you also have to develop your own style and signature over time. When you get something sounding dope, keep the settings as a preset.

For hip-hop, I use a lot of EQ and compression, and subtle doses of delay and reverb.
Dilla didn’t use tons of effects, mostly some brilliant MPC work, heavy compression, and too much talent for this world.

I use Ableton Lives Beat Repeat sometimes, but the artifacts annoy me, and the fact that it has no swing/groove option yet.
Effects seem to come and go out of fashion. I’m hearing much more flanger and phaser effects on pad synths these days.

As far as filtering goes, I do a low cut on most of my channels as a mixing tool, to give the kick and bass room to pop out, or I will use a low cut filter with a bit of overdrive to “convert” a loop into a bassline, but I don’t often use filters as “effects” as such.
  • Sev Seveer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users