• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 H.J.Kitten

H.J.Kitten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:26 AM

ive always been a die hard hardware mang, laughing as he sees silly boys who use software.
but the time has come to eat my words. my hardware set up cant handle really complex shit. and i was wondering what the cheapest bestest most goodest software is goodest, i want it to have stuff like 32 track, wave form editing, good mix down malarky, some sort of sub bass creation stuff and maybe sequencery kinda stuff.
cheers guys.

#2 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:28 AM

Acid... it's like ghetto pro tools.

#3 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:38 AM

Acid... it's like ghetto pro tools.

was gonna say the same thing ive never really used it but a friend of mine switched from pro tools to acid for its ease of use etc

#4 stopover bombay.

stopover bombay.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:music. film. rapp cats. warhol. hieroglyphics. vinyl. pop eye. butter. arts. the beats. the meats. spank rock. word. stylus. heads. stickers. samples.

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:15 PM

er, i make beats using fruity loops 6 and sound forge 8. i just downloaded them (criminal). but i don't really know anything about mixing down; my beats are pretty dirty, i just leave them as it is. but for actually making beats that's what i use and i find it very easy. i even bought a 303 a while ago and got rid of it in three days cos i had know idea what to do with it. now i use software. har

#5 ntw1212

ntw1212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:15 AM

cakewalk home studio is cheap and really efficient, it has all sorts of compression, eq, and various outboard gear in software form. It has waveform editing and sequencing, and is really easy to get started on. Keep your beat machine though, nothing beats the feel of banging on some pads, and if you know your way around midi most machines are midi compatible. Fuck clicking a mouse and stretching out wack ass notes on your computer..... it just doesnt have that musical feel.

#6 scabs

scabs

Facebook.com/scabsallover Scabsallover.bandcamp.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Ableton9, APC40, & Monome 40h

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/scabsallover

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:42 AM

cakewalk home studio is cheap and really efficient, it has all sorts of compression, eq, and various outboard gear in software form. It has waveform editing and sequencing, and is really easy to get started on. Keep your beat machine though, nothing beats the feel of banging on some pads, and if you know your way around midi most machines are midi compatible. Fuck clicking a mouse and stretching out wack ass notes on your computer..... it just doesnt have that musical feel.

I agree, PLUS its obvious when someone programs a beat in as opposed to someone who drums in all their beats WITHOUT the aid of Quantization. Downfall: you can tell when someone who drums in all their beats WITHOUT the aid of Quantization doesn't have the skills to make it work for them.

So if its a complete studio your looking for all in a single program, jump on that FL bandwagon my friend. It requires ZERO skill to make a boom bap, and crafted skill to make it seem like it was done in an MPC. PosiTIVE!

#7 asterikss

asterikss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:54 AM

..ACID Pro is the shit!!! ;)

#8 3 Degrees of Parker Posey

3 Degrees of Parker Posey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:01 PM

i don't know if the programs you're talking about have musical typing (i think fruity does) but that's one cool thing about garageband. if you don't have a controller you can bang out beats on your computer keyboard completely live, unquantized with unlimited tracks and tons of efx. fundamentally there's no huge diff. b/t computer keys and sp keys. i have a 303 and wouldn't give it up cause i love the sound, efx, size, looks, etc. but you can make sloppy and dirty drums with just garageband for sure

#9 Josh G

Josh G

Gonzo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:07 AM

I reckon if you're using software you might wanna get an MPD24. I use one, theyre decent.

#10 ntw1212

ntw1212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:05 PM

i don't know if the programs you're talking about have musical typing (i think fruity does) but that's one cool thing about garageband. if you don't have a controller you can bang out beats on your computer keyboard completely live, unquantized with unlimited tracks and tons of efx. fundamentally there's no huge diff. b/t computer keys and sp keys. i have a 303 and wouldn't give it up cause i love the sound, efx, size, looks, etc. but you can make sloppy and dirty drums with just garageband for sure

ive been dealing with garageband for a minute and, to tell you the truth, i am just really starting to hate it more and more. The midi programming on it is just ridiculously frustrating, which may not be important if your just doing your own projects, but i am taking a midi production class and if you are hired at a studio to program midi, then the specifications that you are given have to be right on the mark....

basaically it just sucks because you cant snap notes to the grid without zooming in all the way, copying notes with velocities sometimes gets screwed up, etc.., etc...., etc......

#11 godzilla

godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:30 AM

er, i make beats using fruity loops 6 and sound forge 8. i just downloaded them (criminal). but i don't really know anything about mixing down; my beats are pretty dirty, i just leave them as it is. but for actually making beats that's what i use and i find it very easy. i even bought a 303 a while ago and got rid of it in three days cos i had know idea what to do with it. now i use software. har

I use Fruity Loops too,
On the EQ tip
there is a 7 band equalizer, parametric equalizer, some thing called equo which seems like the parametric but you get to see where the sounds are while you mix it. Also, in the place where you send sounds to effects there is a three band parametric equalizer.
There are also filters, compressors and passes in the effects but I don't know too much about those, they seem kind of scary to me... sometimes if I really want to clean up a sound I'll run it through a preset effect using the compressors and it usually sounds pretty decent.

#12 godzilla

godzilla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:10 AM

Also, Fruity Loops really stepped up their synthesizer game on 6. That was probably the weakest area on the previous editions and its still not perfect but the synths are halfway decent now.

#13 godzilla

godzilla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:38 AM

I think if you want full studio capabilities on your computer it would be best to use FL with another program like Acid. FL is good for loop programming and sequencing but I wouldn't try to record vocals on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users