367 replies to this topic

#181 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

Just found a couple of sealed represses of Earth Rot and La Planete Sauvage for 10 each in Portland along with a bunch of OG Blue Note singles and one Verve jazz LO, forgot the name. This store had insane heat for decent prices.
  • James Frank. and Dirty Cyclist like this

#182 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

i'm having trouble finding any digital copies of Kashif - Send Me Your Love online...
all the links are dead on blogs i've checked, and the only two torrents out there are unfinished.

i really want that album :(
and until i find the vinyl i'd like to be able to at least get familiar with it.

#183 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

i'm having trouble finding any digital copies of Kashif - Send Me Your Love online...
all the links are dead on blogs i've checked, and the only two torrents out there are unfinished.

and until i find the vinyl i'd like to be able to at least get familiar with it.

Posted Image

#184 Cis

Cis

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

It's been since I've been here, these are some recent pick-ups (all orginals)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and the hunting continues...
  • D'MosPhree and Dirty Cyclist like this

#185 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

posted elsewhere, but I'm so stoked, it is going here as well: http://i.ebayimg.com...R!-Q~~60_12.JPGPosted Image

One of my very favorite albums :)
  • Dirty Cyclist likes this

#186 Cis

Cis

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

Picked up a very nice lot of Library records today, here's a selection of some goodies
Posted Image
Doubled up on that Rene Costy album on Chappell btw, if someone's interested, let me know (unfortunately I live in Europe...)

And some cool story: met Madlib while digging in Brussels (Belgium) last week :)
  • D'MosPhree, James Frank. and Dirty Cyclist like this

#187 Professor Coneyack

Professor Coneyack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Quality Music, Fine Art, Hand Crafted Beer, Audio Engineering, Lakers, Life
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/selectfewmusic805

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

Finally got my fresh copy of LARGE PROFESSOR MAIN SOURCE

#188 Cis

Cis

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:08 AM

And some other very nice library records which I've bought today

Posted Image
  • D'MosPhree and Dirty Cyclist like this

#189 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

god damn cis!!!! are you getting those from a specialty shop/private dealer, or just gettin that lucky out in the field??

i came across a nice collection from an old DJ in this dudes basement, caught him out front of the record store after i overheard him trying to sell to the shop, inquired about the records, he said that they were in the basement of his house when he bought it and said he was cool with me going to check it out, so i went over to his place and had at it, only made it through a small portion but got some real solid reggae and quality early 90s hip hop, along with a bunch of soukous/congolese records from the 80s with a bit of highlife/afro beat influenced stuff mixed in, most of that stuff isn't really my style unfortunately (thought i was gettin some dope afro beat funk rares at the time), can't wait to get back in there and see what else is hiding though

lone jazz record find from the collection, a night in tunisia stereo blue note with van gelder stamp, hoping to find some more stuff like that next time

#190 Cis

Cis

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:57 AM

god damn cis!!!! are you getting those from a specialty shop/private dealer, or just gettin that lucky out in the field??

The LPs on the last 2 pictures I've bought at an old man's place who empties houses when somebody dies (don't know the term in English...) Seems like someone passed away who had a big collection of Library (the guy called me today to say he has some new records in stock).
  • D'MosPhree likes this

#191 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

yeah, its like a dude who buys estates, lucky you got the line in with him where he hits you up first, if that was my area there would definitely be bigger dudes than me with a line in on a collection like that, at least if it was coming through someone who been dealing with selling estates for a long time

once i'm done sorting through the collection i'm going through now maybe we could hook up a trade list??

#192 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

Bob Thiele - Light My Fire
David Axelrod - Song of Innocence
Jean Ferrat - Jean Ferrat
Privelege OST
Bagel O' Fun - In the Underground Wonderland

Haven't listened to Jean Ferrat but it looks shitty, don't know why I bought it. That bagel record though, serious shit. It's like a prog-jazz fusion record laden with some soulful piano and some space abstract horn. It's like a cross between Sun Ra and Yes. Scoop that shit up if you see it, I couldn't find a great deal of info on it that I can't just read on the sleeve.

#193 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:32 PM

Hit a place that had both OG Matthew Larkin Cassell LPs up on the wall, I wonder how many people walk right past them without knowing what they are. Thanks Now Again for that reissue, the asking price was 750 for the pair, I don't know about y'all but I don't even think I have 750 in my 401k.

#194 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:27 AM

how rare are those library records, Cis? i always hear about them on here, but i've never, ever, ever seen them in the field at the places i actually go to dig. does anybody have an idea whether those kinds of LP's ever even made it to the Midwest/Colorado area, or for that matter the U.S. ??? from what i understand, those like KPM albums and other records of that nature are from British television shows--is that right?

#195 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

people have been up on grippin library LPs since the early 90s, most labels are UK/Euro based, there are a few american (and canadian) based ones as well though, and some of the euro labels were distributed in canada because of the french connection up there, best bet is to hit up television (or radio) stations for old stock, most has been gotten rid of or bought out already, or you can hope you luck out at a thrift/junk shop/recycling center because that's where they will most likely be dumped if they don't know any better (possibility for a craigslist/classifieds posting saying that a studio is selling off their stuff), unfortunately we're 10-15 years too late for the most part

they are definitely rare, not mind blowingly rare, but they don't turn up often (especially on our side of the pond), weren't commercially distributed, and most of the good ones are known so they are most likely sittin in somebody's collection who wanted it, and if it is for sale it is through a shop, private dealer, or on ebay, and they are all likely to charge appropriately

there are also waaaaaay more duds than dopeness

orchid - which songs of innocence cover did you grab? and was it a shop/dealer find or did you get lucky and find it for cheap? that bagel o' fun record sounds like some cool library related shit

finished going through the collection i had found, some really dope stuff in there, got about 250 records all together, A LOT of reggae/dub, some soul and jazz, some hip hop, and a few more african joints, gonna have to take a few pics of the highlights, but for now i'll just post one, got a sealed copy of this

Posted Image
  • James Frank. likes this

#196 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

now i'll just post one, got a sealed copy of this

Posted Image

that looks dope!

#197 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

@blunthead - I only buy cheap any more. I payed 10 bucks or the og release in very clean condition, I was completely shocked to see it. It was in a store in Portland. Portland is heavenly for records and dope record stores. I work downtown and I'm within a ten minute walk of at least ten damn good record stores. Many breaks an lunches are just spent digging. Anyone ever been? I scooped that bagel record for 5 which was a deal in my book considering the quality.

#198 Cis

Cis

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

they are definitely rare, not mind blowingly rare, but they don't turn up often (especially on our side of the pond), weren't commercially distributed, and most of the good ones are known so they are most likely sittin in somebody's collection who wanted it, and if it is for sale it is through a shop, private dealer, or on ebay, and they are all likely to charge appropriately

there are also waaaaaay more duds than dopeness

True, but the latest I've bought are very good. Tons of samples :)

I'm going to list a small lot of doubles I have on eBay, will post the link here

#199 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

orchid - thats dope man, love shops like that, i'm lucky enough to have one locally that always has fair prices and plenty of stuff slips through the cracks and goes out for cheap (kool and the gang s/t for 5, sylvers s/t for 8), i could see a 'songs of' gettin put out for 20 or under, but it hasn't happened yet so i'm still waiting

cis - definitely looks like you got some good ones, quality labels, and the titles that i can read all have those good key words, hows the capitol media music you got? my buddy got one of those a year back or so and it had a few really dope grooves on it along with a tight break, think it was called keyboard patterns, can't remember the volume number though

i'm still spending most nights smokin out with a few beers tryin to listen through these reggae LPs to see what i wanna keep and what i wanna sell, i've refrained from doing much diggin since i have all these records at the house to listen to (and minimal cash flow), but a buddy is back in town for thanksgiving and we had to go out and hit a few thrifts and other spots, grabbed a few cheap 45s from a spot that is usually only good for one or two grabs amongst the chud that sits in the bins for months on end, one of them ended up being super dope, was hopeful it was a meters cover but the writing credits were throwin me off in the shop, glad thats what it ended up being, plays perfect too
Posted Image

#200 Cis

Cis

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:40 AM

Found this one in the thrift shop two days ago (20 cents!), together with this killer album:

#201 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

Found this one in the thrift shop two days ago (20 cents!), together with this killer album

not sure what that has to do with my original comment, but that track is dope haha.

#202 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

he found the record you want

#203 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

not sure what that has to do with my original comment, but that track is dope haha.

Are you still looking for Kashif - Send Me Your Love?

Ebay has a ton of them.

I know the CD is a rare find
Title track is a cooker - heard in a boss mix a few years past.

#204 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

i'll have to check around online. the track i was looking for just so happened to be a bonus track on his self-titled debut though, so i'm not as adamant looking for Send Me Your Love.

#205 Mowgli

Mowgli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:33 AM

Found this one in the thrift shop two days ago (20 cents!), together with this killer album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJDA9QWfSTM

damn, thats a real interesting find. guess its the sax player from placebo? love finds like those..

#206 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

I coped a copy of Ramsey Lewis's Salongo, mainly for the cover, but damn this song rips...

• James Frank. likes this

#207 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

can't wait to spin this tonight. I only know of Cedar Walton because I got a copy of his Mobius from the Dilla Foundation... Posted Image

#208 AzMatic

AzMatic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Rap/Hip-Hop, Basketball, Retro Video Games, Graphic Art, Books, TV & Movies, Music in General.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/ryan-bingham-2/

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

Grabbed Leo Sayers's Endless Flight at the thrift store a few days ago for $.50
Posted Image
  • James Frank. and Dirty Cyclist like this

#209 Clay Davis

Clay Davis

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:01 AM

Copped these gems and others the other week on a digging trip to London

Posted Image

"Voices from other times" is such a groovy number! Can't stop playing it. Some sweet breaks on this record, too

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • GC90 and Dirty Cyclist like this

#210 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

What are the library records?