Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

so... i've been making beats for a minute now. prior to that i was a jack-of-all trades type of musician (meaning a drummer). i just got a ton of gear to DJ parties and whatnot but i'm wondering does anyone on here do that kind of thing? i'm looking for some starting-out-advice. how much do you guys charge? how do you advertise? are flyers a good idea or what? thanks for any help!

#2 E.Powers

E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Interests:Finding weird ish inside record covers.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:22 AM

What sort of parties are you talking about?

#3 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

I dunno man...I guess starting out it's gonna be house parties yeah? Just trying to get some advice on how to start a side job that I actually like to do

#4 E.Powers

E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:03 AM

Still a ton of questions to be answered. I guess off the top, what is the main reason you want to start dj'ing out: is it to make $ or to simply have spot to spin and possibly make $? House parties are fun as fuck but really don't pay too well, most won't if your just starting out, free drinks and food though and get to rock the party. Great place to get used to dj'ing in front of people, getting used to bigger/louder sound systems and learning what music does and does not rock a party. A place to start is at a smaller bar/lounge/club and seeing if you can DJ on their off nights. It's a good way to get used to dj booths, bigger systems, dj'ing for people you don't have a clue are or what type of music they're into. If you're decent at it, your skills will advertise for you, mostly, and word of mouth by yourself as you will assuredly meet people.

#5 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

Well I can't say for sure if I was born a DJ yet...but I definitely know that I have loved the couple parties I spun and had a ton of fun. the extra cash sounds excellent though I have to say.... So can I expect to get any $$$ for house parties? If so what's reasonable to charge?

#6 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

when i think of mobile dj i think of weddings, birthday parties, playing general chart music, cheesy as fuck 'disco' lights that kind of thing

my mate does that and earns shit loads but also has to play fuck awful music to (generally) the dregs of society, i dont know anyone who gets paid to rock dope tunes to dope parties maybe its different in the u.s?

or were u talking about dj'ing in clubs and bars??? ive done that for a few years got bored with people and spending any money i earnt on drinking
  • E.Powers likes this

#7 E.Powers

E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

I think Shakey sort of summed up the whole thing there.

House parties: These are really going to vary from region to region. In Chicago they are still very, very popular, and fucking fun as hell. That being said, even ridiculously good DJ's with crazy deep crates (vinyl only, not to be the snob here, but I wouldn't go to a non-vinyl party unless it was full of half nekked ladies who are in love with me and me alone) don't get paid too well, maybe a hundred, maybe a few hundred bucks. House parties that I go to are really about having spots that allow DJ's and collectors to play what they want, not the club or the promoters or whatever music that gets tons of drunk fucks through the front door. So it's really about having a great atmosphere with the right people, drinks, food and music to the braek of dawn. Usually there are only a few degrees of separation between the DJ's, who ever is throwing the party, and attendees, thus the cost at the door is low and is really to cover booze and food. So it's really hard to tell what the DJ will pull at the end of the night, and usually there is more than one any how! I mean DJ's want to party, dance and hook up as much as everyone else, can't do that shit behind the decks all night! Plus don't forget, you have to lug all your shit there, set up, make sure some drunk fuck isn't pouring their beer all down your speakers, or yourself, then you gotta break this shit down at the end of the night, hopefully no one sneaks one of your heaters outta yer crates, when you factor all this shit in, the money isn't what it's all about.

If you wanna make $, get a shit stupid load of digital and do wedding gigs, then take tons of pills to deal with the dribble that you will guaranteed to be requested to play, over and over. Or try to make it as a celebrity DJ, they get paid like a 100K+ for a hour gig, just to basically look like they know how to cue. wtf??!!!

#8 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

well what exactly is "dribble"? I mean i have extensive knowledge of motown soul, 50s pop/rock, 60s rock, 70s rock, 80s electro/new wave/hip hop just by means of producing and being a music nerd. Don't weddings usually call for that type of soul/classic rock type of set? I'd actually be super happy to get paid for sets like that

#9 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

and shakey, i don't live in any hot club scene. there's a few clubs here (literally a few like 5) and they're all dives. but can you DJ digital (the truth comes out yes i got a midi controller) at a club? i can't really afford crates of vinyl man

#10 E.Powers

E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

Dribble being any pop shit from the late 70's through current that makes most music heads vomit blood, but seemingly are loved by wedding parties. Google wedding songs, or classic wedding dance songs and you'll see list after list of fm radio standards that you really don't need to hear for the 20,000th time. Ya there'll always be a few cuts there, but dribble, pure dribble. I mean most weddings don't give a shit if you got some heaters and raerz they want music that drunk uncle Fester can try to dance to and not offend grandma Madea. But by what I hear, you can make some good cash at these gigs none then less.
To be honest, I'm not trying to knock this hustle, I'm just saying be prepared to deal with some fools that will make you face palm all night if you go certain routes. Shit, DJ'in is fun as hell otherwise!

#11 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

and shakey, i don't live in any hot club scene. there's a few clubs here (literally a few like 5) and they're all dives. but can you DJ digital (the truth comes out yes i got a midi controller) at a club? i can't really afford crates of vinyl man

trust me where ever you live in california is 10000 times better than where i live, i should imagine most clubs have a set up for digital use (if not all of them)

#12 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:11 AM

dude you should move here! the earth is made of gold and magic

#13 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:30 AM

let me stay in your spare room and we have a deal

#14 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

It's been covered well by E. Powers and Shakey, just want to add that you should decide what you really want out of this and take it from there. Work is work, play is play. We rarely get paid well to play. Keep that in mind.
  • E.Powers likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users