35 replies to this topic

#1 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:00 PM

Any footage or comments about the live shows? Did Madlib mention any future projects?

#2 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:43 AM

I think a lot of people go into a Madlib show expecting him to get on the mic and start rapping their favorite Quasimoto and Lootpack jams. If that's what anyone you know is looking for its probably best for them to just stay home and enjoy those tunes. The one thing you can expect from Madlib performing live is that you'll hear him play tons of beats that you'll either hear again in two or three years or won't ever hear again in your life. For a Madlib nerd like myself I like to go and experience the new music that he plays from his CD-Js. When he played Denver a few weeks ago damn near 70% of the audience had left before he was even done playing. For the lucky few that stuck around we actually got to see the Beat Konducta do what he does best, for the last 20 minutes Lib was fucking around with samples trying to make some beats. At the end of the set he was messing around with the crowd as people begged for a free CD from his book of goodies. He raised up a CD-R that read 'Madlib + Gee' and pretended like he was going to throw it to someone. He did end up tossing a couple CDs out and my buddy actually was able to catch one; turns out it was an old copy of 21 & Over but my friend has been really enjoying the fact that he actually has one of Lib's previously owned CDs. I was able to meet up with Madlib during J. Rocc's set and had him sign the box of medicine I found a week earlier in Denver. I was also able to get Egon to sign the box for me and give me some props. Overall, I always have a blast at his live shows because they are guaranteed to be as eccentric as the man himself.
  • theunseen likes this

#3 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:30 AM

great explanation of a madlib show and why you should be syked to see it......although i got lucky, cause when i saw him 2 or 3 years back, it was him and j rocc together on stage just switchin back and forth, track for track pretty much, and j rocc dropped MHB and lib spit the whole thing, it was dope

he also sometimes seems to have some bugged out vocal samples that he likes to play with, at my show he kept triggering this one sample of i think barry white talking about something, and he was pretending like it was him talking, and they just kept cutting it back to the top for like 15 minutes or so, i was crackin up, i'm sure some people were a little confused, BUTT FUCK em!! then i'm pretty sure i saw the same kinda thing happening in a youtube video of a live performance not long after though

#4 Wenzel Dashington

Wenzel Dashington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

Perfect explanation sunny

#5 KieranCrawford

KieranCrawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:38 PM

i have yet to see him live, being i'm only 16 years old and the shows that are close that i can attend are usually 18+ but around that time, hopefully i'll be LIVING in Cali and seeing his live shit often.

#6 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

yea you didn't hear?
http://www.stonesthr...ie-gibbs-madlib

I mean that's obvious but I was asking if there was anything unofficially announced by the man himself.
Crazy to hear that most people left mid way through the show. Be cool if someone posted a video or a hit+run copy of MMS#13 they got made at the show.

#7 KnuckleHead

KnuckleHead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

I mean that's obvious but I was asking if there was anything unofficially announced by the man himself.
Crazy to hear that most people left mid way through the show. Be cool if someone posted a video or a hit+run copy of MMS#13 they got made at the show.

This is my #12/#13 Hit + Run did for me.. you got to pick 3 of 6 images for them to silk screen.

Posted Image

#8 Yvon

Yvon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

you got to pick 3 of 6 images for them to silk screen.

You should have picked a better combination man :rolleyes:

#9 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:00 PM

Not at all. That cover is nice!

#10 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

I kinda like the generic MMS 12/13 covers but anything personalized is always better imo...

#11 KnuckleHead

KnuckleHead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

I picked 3 that I MYSELF LIKED.. not you bro. Post yours up for some critiques.

Not at all. That cover is nice!

Thanks man!

#12 George Costanza

George Costanza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

That's a dope print, Knucklehead. Big ups to SunnyMeadowz!

#13 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:34 PM

Most amazing show of my life.

J.Rocc started with an amazing hour and a half set with a whole mess of dilla breakdowns. He then transitioned into Madlib with America's Most Blunted.

Madlib proceeded to spin an hour long set full of new Georgia Anne, M.E.D., and Professionals. Plus he played out the entire Madvillain Avalanche track. The stun gun sample on crazy bass is incredible. Played a handful of beats (Mad said they were "old"). Played a couple of dope psych tracks and followed them up with some of his Rock Konducta stuff. He also played out some dope Black Soul tracks and African and Brazilian tunes. A real dope set.

Freddie Gibbs then came out and threw down like a champ even though he was drunk and blazed as hell. He spit Deep, The Ghetto, National Anthem, and Thuggin'. After that Krondon of SAS came on stage and spit Cheeba Cheeba and Best of Times. He also did Phil's parts since, in his words, "Phil took a weed nap at 4:30 and he still ain't woke up". M.E.D. then came out and did his thing on Classic, Where I'm From and a few more. Somewhere in there J.Rocc convinced Madlib to rap The Red. Bananas.

After all the rapping J and Madlib had about another half hour to fool around and spun some things together. Madlib played out his crazy Stereolab beat from that Sir Michael Rocks track and Guilty remix before he left the stage. A little head nod and salute and he was gone.

J then spun some tracks from Some Cold Rock Stuf and that was it.

Damn! That sounds like it was a great show. Glad to see Madlib is bringing out other MC's for the crowd to enjoy whilst playing his unreleased shit. Excellent write-up oven.

#14 DealzMakesBeats

DealzMakesBeats

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:29 PM

Yo Sunny. I was the Kat on stage with madlib rapping and talking shit at the Denver show.

#15 DealzMakesBeats

DealzMakesBeats

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:34 PM

That wasn't even the set he was supposed to play. O was asking me 'you wanna get on the mic and talk shit? Cuz I ain't saying nothing tonite' I think I got j Rocc and lib a lil too lifted. Haha But shit that's my fam.

#16 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

I just got a fat raise at my new job yesterday so in celebration a few of my friends and I are flying to NY to see Lib & Gibbs destroy The Planet. LuvBunz if you're still lurking around these parts get at me.

#17 flowmontana71

flowmontana71

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:27 AM

Bought my Tickets yesterday...Super-Geeked.....

Cant wait ....NY always has love for ST.......

http://flowmontana.podomatic.com
http://soundcloud.com/fm71
'Satellite Sounds'

#18 LuvBunz

LuvBunz

the funk goes on.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  • Interests:butts + baby oil

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

"Perfect day to blaze another pound of dope"

#19 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:55 AM

First Madlib show I'm ever attending January 19th in Toronto!!! I wanted something signed, but I dont know if i should bring an LP or buy something there...any thoughts?

#20 Spooks

Spooks

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

Crap! Just tried to get a ticket for Madlib's Brooklyn show and it's sold out:( If anyone has 1 extra ticket, please get back to me. Thanks.

#21 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

I'm in the same boat as Spooks. If anyone has an extra ticket or two they need to try to get rid of pm me.

#22 zmister

zmister

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

Yo I'm fiendin for deez tix

#23 LuvBunz

LuvBunz

the funk goes on.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:30 AM

"don't get caught sleepin"

#24 cav23j

cav23j

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:50 AM

anyone know about this?

Madlib show at Princeton on 1/17 not advertised by Stones Throw w/ DABRYE & SHIGETO.

"Before Brooklyn and Toronto following full-capacity shows in SF and LA, the MADLIB MEDICINE SHOW is hitting Princeton's Terrace F. Club."

http://terracefclub.com/shows.php

#25 LuvBunz

LuvBunz

the funk goes on.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:59 AM

raw

#26 awas1980

awas1980

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

http://www.pitchfork...-freddie-gibbs/

#27 Mile High

Mile High

Rookie

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

Madlib Medicine Show Live In Denver, CO (Video).

http://www.thegalley...enver-co-video/

#28 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:26 AM

Brooklyn had yet another lackluster crowd with a large majority standing around scrathing their asses. J Rocc performed for just over two hours to open the show and definitley gave the crowd a great set. Madlib came out and played the most I've heard of Avalanche in the two years I've been hearing him play it at live shows. Lots of new goodies were played from those wonderful CD-Rs of his for about an hour when Gangsta Gibbs stepped up on stage. Madlib took a seat on the back of the stage while Rocc came back out and DJed for Gibbs. He opened with 'Thuggin'' went into some of his older work and then finally performed 'Deep';

In the Ghetto, In the GHETTO, In the GHETTO GHETTO!

After a solid 20 minute set for a seemingly confused audience Freedie went backstage and J. Rocc turned the wheels back over to the Bad Kid. Madlib played for about another 45 minutes and finally called it a night around 1 am. I was actually surprised when he did leave the stage though because I was sure he would rock until the venue had to close which wasn't for another hour. Typically Otis comes back out, maybe plays another beat or two and then shakes hands and signs autographs for as many fans he can. This night was very different though. After waiting around for a few minutes I realized he was not coming back out. I was headed for the exit with my buddy when I spotted Egon. So I ventured over, told him that we had flown in from Denver just for the show and that we (Egon and I) had talked breifly when the Medicine Show came through Denver because I was the dude who found the box. He commented on how crazy we have to be to follow Madlib around the country; I told him we are basically the 'DeadHeads' of Madlib and that we'd continute crisscrossing the country to support our favorite musician. He also mentioned that while driving back from the Princeton show the previous evening Madlib made the comment along the lines that, 'If the crowd isn't feeling the music there isn't anything wrong with the music. There must be something wrong with the audience.' A sentiment I wholeheartedly support! Egon was kind enough to take my friend and I backstage so we could at least pay our respect to the Beat Konducta. As always he was very humble and gracious for our support, but I could feel the energy from him that he seemed a little disappointed with the crowd's reaction. He also let me in on a little dope secret that I won't be revealing until much later.

I have to give a huge shout out to Vilens for hooking me up with not only a ticket but some great NY hospitality and a nice little joint for after the show. If you ever need a place to crash in Denver don't even hesitate to hit me up.

#29 Mowgli

Mowgli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:43 AM

soooooooooooooooo.......whats that little secret?

#30 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

haha das mean. i'm gonna go start a little secret speculation thread about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users