#1 AlexMain

AlexMain

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:making beats
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/illskilz

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:17 AM

hey guys if anyone is intrested in how to get them phat drums but still sound clean get @ me

check out my www.soundcloud.com/illskilz for examples
  • ras dude and AlexMain like this

#2 ras dude

ras dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:drumming, glaucoma medication, shit from the 70's, podcasts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

okay I'm looking for something similar to the "phuk you" bass drum just with a little bit of click. how do i go about doing that? tanks mon!
  • AlexMain likes this

#3 AlexMain

AlexMain

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:making beats
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/illskilz

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:18 AM

important things are
first make the drumloop on your sounds or the loop itself if you start that way ...then save it (clean) without effects and leave it that way
then we go in effects on the first loop
maximizer
right eq
compression
gate
dynamics
chorus wider (not all programs have these) but common plugins like stereoshaper etcetc are fine too
sidechain compression

(use a maximizer on the last insert always)

first of eq use a 3 band equalizer
remove a little from the first frequency (low)
second upper the frequency from band 2 (not to much)
and in band 3 you can either upper or lower the frequency(upper makes it sound more clear) lower makes it sound more boomy

now experiment with the frequencies(and youle get the perfect sounding kick within a view clicks)

use a gate (if you have) with simular frequencies as the compressor
then second trow a compressor on it
settings are treshold -15.4 ratio 3.32 attac 12.6 release 585 analysis 82

dynamics is in most case just another compressor to beef things extra up (mostly a extra kick presets works)

stereowider in fl studio you have a stereoshaper (use preset 3 on it)
in cubase you have either mono/stereo plugin or a great preset in the chorus plugin i really cant give any advice on setting because you have to rotate 2 buttons to get the sound you like

the last thing to do is crucial to a clear sounding kick!!
on your sample or lead sound add a compressor and activate sidechain use a final mix preset(like dance preset or master preset) (in cubase i use mostly overheads compression preset)
then go to your send bus from the kick and activate that compressor from your main sound/sample on your kick (for every daw or porgram you got great easy tuorials on youtube)
use the desired level !!

i know it sounds like alot to do and some people will think buhhh somuch why even bother !! well trust me its the only way to make your drums sound fat !! snares are easy fattend!!with maximizers compressors and reverbs but kicks are always a bitch!! but trust me ones you learned how to apply these things to your beats you get beats that can be used by artist in the studio rightaway!! if you tell me wich program you use i can give you even more specific details on how to do it! i use cubase 90% of my productions but i still use reason and fl studio as plugins as rewire! because i use to work in these 2 daws before i switched to cubase !

and trust me this is the way to go!!i been a teacher in cubase and hiphop beats for 3 years on a pop&media school in holland!!

peaceee and happy learning!

#4 ras dude

ras dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:drumming, glaucoma medication, shit from the 70's, podcasts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

thanks! i use reason and i should have just about every thing i need...i think

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users