17 replies to this topic

#1 Htet

Htet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Pronounced 'tet'

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:29 AM

Sup ya'll. I thought I'd write my view about a controversial and interesting topic- race. This is my view and opinion so I'm not stating it as fact. If enough people are interested in discussion, I'll talk more about other races too :)

I'm starting with my take on Asians cuz I'm Asian myself. I was born in Burma, which is next to Thailand.

One thing a lot of people don't know is that Asians are racist as hell. Even among Asians there is a lot of separation. In Asia having light skin is like holding a golden stick. I was surrounded by racial diversity when I came to the US so I was pretty much treated equally. People even gave me compliments on my brown skin. But when I'm in Asia people are always telling me to stay out the sun or that I'm too dark. Asians have an obsession of having light skin. Every cream or lotion you can find has a whitening substance in it. The obsession has to do with class. Asian countries look up to Japan, and now Korea because they are well developed and rich compared to the other Asian countries. And the Chinese are the Jews of Asia cuz they own everything. So usually the richest people in dark asian countries have Chinese blood in them, so they are naturally light skinned. And darker Asians come from poorer countries. Also blacks have a really bad rep in Asia, but maybe they do in most places. People in Asia will just come up to me and ask how dangerous blacks are. I usually tell em as long you were a bullet-proof vest in the hood you're OK :P So basically-

light skin = money, power, education, status (esp in Asia)

So that's in Asia. But I also got a problem with the American view of Asians. You ever notice how openly racist Americans are to Asians? I mean they make racist remarks toward blacks too but in most places it's kept on the DL. But with Asians, even with people you know, they'll openly make stereotypical Asian jokes out in the open and take it lightly. Most white kids wouldn't think of doing that shit with blacks though unless they were close as hell. When it comes to the bigger picture, I think it has to do with American guilt concerning slavery. Chinese and Japanese were enslaved too but not nearly as bad as blacks. And there are a lot more blacks than Asians in the US.

I also get that Asian dudes are clowned cuz most of them are nerdy and small. But I think America has a big problem with being macho. American men as insecure as hell about their masculinity and that's also why America is so homophobic. Hip Hop culture is living proof of that. As a matter of fact hip hop culture is downright hypocritical cuz it's a culture started by minorities (blacks) and now it's all for degrading another minority (gays). In other countries men are much friendlier and comfortable with each other but in the US it's about looking tough around your buddies. The phrases "no homo" and "pause" are stupid as fuck.

Aright, I'll rant more later. Next up: Whiteys

#2 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

Everyone is a racist. It's inevitable. I grew up in El Paso, which is predominantly Mexican. They don't get a lot of exposure to other races there so it's more of an ignorance based racism rather than a hate based racism. I think it's strange.

#3 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:40 PM

NOt everyone is racist, but yes, w/e.
shit happens. In Scotland there is severe hatred between Cathloics and Prodestents. So much so, I was out with some chick and she says, "if My Bruther met a Catholic, he'd sTAB HIM!".

MY mom is Catholic.

I slapped the bitch and jetted in my jet.

Posted Image

#4 sugoisounds

sugoisounds

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Soundcloud:sugoisounds

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

Everyone is a racist. It's inevitable

Optimistic world-view...
I think the Japanese and Chinese have a better work ethic than most white people in UK, but they (Japanese) can take it a bit far, like working 14 hour days. We're too individualistic, they're too collectivist.
  • mangoes cash likes this

#5 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:45 PM

Just watched this, speaking of anglo, oriental relations.
It basically illustrates exactly what sugois said.
Posted Image

#6 Htet

Htet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:59 PM

I never said everyone isn't racist in some way.

#7 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:27 PM

NOt everyone is racist,

Everyone is to a degree.

It doesn't have to be negative either. My 10 year old cousin thinks all black people are cool.

That's pretty damn racist.

http://www.silentracism.com/
  • mangoes cash likes this

#8 sugoisounds

sugoisounds

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Soundcloud:sugoisounds

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:14 PM

I never said everyone isn't racist in some way.

I think you get some people that can separate race/ethnicity from culture, like knowing nurture from nature, and some people that are basically not judgemental. I feel optimistic that there are people out there that genuinely take people as they find them, but they're not a majority.
  • arX likes this

#9 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,188 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:02 PM

Spike was making a very powerful point with this whole movie but especially this scene.

#10 arX

arX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:20 PM

I think you get some people that can separate race/ethnicity from culture, like knowing nurture from nature, and some people that are basically not judgemental. I feel optimistic that there are people out there that genuinely take people as they find them, but they're not a majority.

Thank you.

#11 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:55 PM

it is amazing.
correct me if i am wrong, but racism (black vs white) is prominent most in america. In cuba and south america, it is far less, that is why you see many more "brown, mixed" people.

Since there is far less class, wealth separation, they are more willing to mingle. ANd that whole slavery thing in America is much more bigger than anywhere else.

Racism every else seems more natural... areas, mountainous borders. In America it seems much more systemic.

#12 Htet

Htet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:10 PM

it is amazing.
correct me if i am wrong, but racism (black vs white) is prominent most in america. In cuba and south america, it is far less, that is why you see many more "brown, mixed" people.

Since there is far less class, wealth separation, they are more willing to mingle. ANd that whole slavery thing in America is much more bigger than anywhere else.

Racism every else seems more natural... areas, mountainous borders. In America it seems much more systemic.

I agree racism is looked on with much more sensitivity in America even though it exists all over the country. But yeah racism in other countries are more openly accepted. I personally think that it's better to be open about it (without being violent or hateful of course).

#13 Htet

Htet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:17 PM

Yeah, seeing people individually for who they are is the best way to go. I agree.

On what you said before Sugoi- There was some psychology test done where they showed Americans and Japanese students a picture of a school of fish with one fish off to the side. The Americans thought that fish was unique and special and the Japanese thought it was an outcast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Za2k5wA3sk

#14 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:22 PM

Im Puerto Rican and people always say im either white or mexican.... it pisses me off. I hate when people are ignorant like that,

#15 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:28 PM

it is amazing.

Agreed, when I lived in Puerto Rico I had friends with white, brown, black, yellow, and any other shade of skin color you can think of and I never even thought of classifying one color of skin as lesser than another. Skin Color dont mean shit, it's jsut your genes, Im kind of in the middle of white and brown (like light to dark olive color) so when I moved to the states I fit in a little more with the white kids (although all of my friends are either black/latin/european/pakistani) I had maybe one or 2 white friends i can think of, but I never noticed any racism until I actually moved to the states.

I tend to see that white kids like to stick with white kids, there isnt really mix... now this isnt in all cases but in most cases that i've seen thats just how it is

#16 Vilens

Vilens

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:19 AM

i'll wait for the one that lets me wax poetic on new york city's subway-riding hispanic population.

#17 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:46 PM

Speaking of racism. This was released today.

THE ILLEST BLACK GUY WHITE GUY ALBUM EVERRRR!!!!!!!
http://slangcorp.ban...guy-buddy-movie
Posted Image

#18 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:02 AM

hey yo fuck racism