Respect the musicians, producers and beatmakers

by making an effort to listen to all the submissions >>HERE<<

Vote in this thread with...

BIG BOLD FONTS

and

CRAZY COLOURS

-----------------------------------------

Everybody votes!

Don't vote for yourself but even if you didn't make a beat you can vote.

The more votes the better!

------------------------------------------

Voting until Friday Midnight NYC time

Winner - post new sample, rules, etc - by Saturday Noon NYC time

Frequently Asked Questions!

On twitter? Follow the battles@STMBBeatBattles

#2 Meerdat

Meerdat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/meerdat

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:53 PM

Ill vote tonight... with a comment/feedback for all the entries! :)

#3 Roger Beattaker

Roger Beattaker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/roger-beattaker

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:15 AM

In my opinion this is the best beats of the week!!!! but there was alot of great stuff :)

TV OST

S.F.T

Soul_UP

Jondis

Plusga

My vote goes to:

F.J

#4 Opin

Opin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:16 AM

My vote is for Beatronome as his beat spoke the most to me.
It was professional, the sample use is good.. and its exactly his own style of beats.. and that is a great job speaking of the lame song we had to sample lol.

#5 jams beats

jams beats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:12 AM

Here is my favorites:

meerdat (best self made vocals)

plusga (different but very hot beat)

milkyway (great bassline)

gmg beats (overall just blazing)

SFT (Those drums , wow! bassline is one of the best)

beatfux (just so chill and that bass is clean)

pawl ( ill drums)

BEATS FOR FOOD (my ears just love this guys sound! fresh, clean sounding samples and hot drums... simply skills)

OSO ( simply hot )

ENZOEYERIS (best use of the sample and big sound!)

lots of great beats this week but my vote goes to BEATS FOR FOOD!! SFT & ENZOEYERIS was very close...

#6 upprhand

upprhand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/upprhand

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:43 AM

Ive been listenin to the cuts all week, been some hott shit all around the board. but when i woke up n heard mellow's, i had to put it bumpin on the monitors. listened to this prolly 5 or 6 times today so far. just flat out fire. everything bout it. so my vote goes to MellowYouth

#7 arX

arX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

EARL CHAMBERS

#8 Beatronome

Beatronome

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/beatronome

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:36 PM

MellowYouth (Now that's just crazy, sick.)
MilkyWay (I liked the vibe, refreshing.)
SFT (Man, you bring quality every time, bass was crazy.)
Beatfux (Nice how you always succeed in making melodic stuff and banging at the same time.)
Pawl (Raw laid back, too bad of the outside bass.)
OSO (Nice drums and atmosphere.)
Areou (I don't know how you do it, but you always manage to pull dope sounds out of the sample, some DJ Shadow-like stuff.)

Areou

#9 buttaslick

buttaslick

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • Interests:if they know the sample i`ve failed
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/ buttaslick

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:48 PM

yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Mellow youth came in a swiped the win this week

#10 Meerdat

Meerdat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/meerdat

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

WHY IM GIVING FEEDBACK/COMMENTS HERE AND NOT ON SOUNDCLOUD?:

Soundcloud is allot of love and non negative, non feedback comments. And i like that.. and like to keep it that way.

BUT

What i liked on some other contests i participated in was the fact that people would try to give real feedback on things he or she would have changed or done different. Why? Just to grow... Use what you think that person is right about and leave the things you think he's wrong about.

My feedback is (most of the time) based on taste... And believe me it's no hate! I love to see people get creative!

Hope yall feeling me on this!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feedback / Comments

Mellowyouth: Crazy! Electro vibe or something like that!!... Nice work on the vocal tag also! I would have liked the drums a bit more on top but that is just me searching for something i would have changed! hehe amazing production! 8 outta 10!

Rowsedower: Nice mellow vibe on the sample use!! Drums are maby a bit to wide... some hats are only on the left and others only on the right... on a mono set they would proberbly not be hearable... nice how you used the guitar btw!

TV OST: Oooh glitchy!... But no swing?!? cant really bang my head to this in any way... or is it my misplaced feeling for rhythym? lol... Harmonics arent really good worked out also.. not really my cup a tea, sorry.

Brotha B: Nice work on that bass!... Drums are verry static... the piano part falls outta the beat.. bit offbeat.. maby could have kept it more minimalistic becouse the bass is verry nice!

J Sense: Reversssseee! Nice slow rhythm on the intro! I like the vibe!! Production is a bit strange on the compression part tho... i think the mix or mastering could have used a little more attention...

Emrou: Nice clean sound!... Your bass sounds a little offkey... The sound of the bass is dope tho... your chops are nice also.. a bit plain but it works... i could hear a rapper on this one!

deadmarauder: Wow that first sound! How the hell you made that?!?!?! I dont like your drums but i do verry much like your sounds from the sample damn son crazy!! Hahaha that vocal tagg is epic!! If you would done something else on the drums it would have been epic... believe me! hehehe 7 outta 10 just for that sample usage... crazy!

MilkyWay: Yeah nice how you got that flute working!! But why so much usage of the grossbeat plugin from fruity?? It's nice for a break but i think you used it a bit to much... And where is your vocal tagg?!?

OneTone: Aaaah finally someone using distortion!!! Verry nice use of the flute also!! There is a part where its a bit offbeat tho... Your breakdown is also verry nice! With this composition you could have easly filled 2 minutes! Crazy drums on the second part (gave me that studio record feeling)

Beast: Oof lotta compression on this one! Im not a big fan of overcompressing (or pushing things on a end limiter/maximizer)... Crazy drums later on in the beat (the hats sounding things!) Sounds a little like a maschine.. like it!.. break down is a little unexpected tho... not my favourite part...

Nell Stalgya: Dude why... i dont like this beat... lol... i liked your other beat way more!! Chops a bit plain and dark... That delayed chop is a bit outta tone to much for me to like it... sorry i really liked your other beat more... lol
Nell Stalgya (old beat): Lol crazy vocal tagg! but i like it!... Verry nice and harmonic beat from you this time!! Keep that comming! Bass sounds nice also! 2nd part is not really harmonic on the other end... whole mix could have used a eq to boost the highs in the beat also..

GMGbeats: That kick is solid! Verry nice... send it to me (meerdat@gmail.com) lool just joking.. but if you want to share.. hehehe lol.. Nice vibe on the chops also... its all in the right place... good mix!.. Your clap could have used some more layers on the second part tho.. dont really like your outro... Vocal tagg is nice! 7 outta 10!

Roger Beattaker: Nice work on that vocal tagg(s)!... Dark bass!! Like the melody you played with it.. and the vibe it gives the beat!... this beat would be nowhere without it.. and in a good track the bass is usually the foundation of the track.. so nice work!

S.F.T.: uses the technique im using!! yeeey! hehehe.... A bit to much usage of the grossbeat? plugin this time... chops a bit plain... do like your snare/clap layer.. swing on the hats maby a bit forced but nice! good use of filters also!

F.J.: Nice use of the sample!... But should have played with the attack to remove that click on the beginning of the chops... Whole sound is a bit to much compressed also... really like how you made the chops sound but the all over mix needed some more work!

Beatfux: YEEEEY hahaha epic intro! Yeah! This is how you chop!!!! Nice delays on the end of the sample! Haha that yeey makes me laugh every time! If this beat is mastered (becouse it could use some mastering especially on the high end eq) i would love to hear a rapper on this.. this are the kinda beats i preffer to hear rappers on!

Soul_UP: Minimalistic vibe on this one! Bass is nice!... Like the delay that goes from right to left! Verry nice that it has a little hidden melody! Would have loved some chops from the flute part on this!

buttaslick: Nice dusty hats!... Snare could have been louder in the mix i think... Chops are a bit loopy... Nice that the clap is added after a while, gives it a nice extra touch! Flute on the end is nice! Where is your name/vocal tag??

Pawl: Ooh i like that bassline! Verry nice!... Good use of the guitar chops, really nice!! Where is your vocal tag?!?! Beat all over a little bit to choppy for my taste. Do like your snare!

Unibrowser: Hmm strange swing... doesnt really fit the sample... Bass is really nice tho... is the bass really made out of the sample?? Does that vocal say unibrowser??

Opin dracons: Yes O P I N! Thats what im talking bout!!! Really nice creative name nametag... The piano has a nice flow!! the flute works out just fine!... The rattle (or something like that) gives it a sound like a amplifier full of sand... not really my thing but definitly creative one!

Beats for food: Oh yeah... nice! Piano loop is a great four bars to layer upon and you do so!! Love what you did on the arrangement and the reversed crash! It got a intro and a outro verry nice! 7 outta 10

Illeyes: Lool nice uptempo vibe! makes me happy!... mix could have used a little more bass on my opion... vocal tag just a little to much repeated for me... do like the second part! its a more steady layback vibe!

Plasticman: Lol your tag is from a cartoon isnt it? Nice chops! Drums could have used more mix to get them banging!!.. Im missing a obvious bass also... 2 part on the chops are just a bit to loopy for me.. 3th part the same...

Jams beats: Jams beats boy!!! Yeah this give me chills! You can hear its mixed! You enhanced the sample or been playing with the panning!... Dont really like the fact that the clap is wide also (i like it in the middle)... Little scratch (sample) is nice also! chops and layers are cool!! 8 outta 10!

sensimillia: Like the comments say, smooth it is!!... I wouldnt even used that snare patern if i was you... maby a bit to much/overdone... brings down the vibe of your chops a bit...

Analog burners: Lol your chops give me a asian vibe (the first part)... second part a bit to choppy for my taste... always nice to hear reversed crashes (i just love them, and use them way to much lool)

OSO: Oh yeah love this vibe/swing!... Verry nice use of the sample (reversed right!?) it's good that it breaks down becouse i was just thinking oh this is allready to much layers to keep that vibe alive!.. 7 outta 10!

Olodidact Aka Olos: O L O S! Nice! Chops dont really match each other... whole sound is a bit loopy and clouded on some parts also... not really my cup of tea sorry..

aReOu: Oh yeah nice vibe! Crazy drums!... You made your own instruments out of the sample as i can hear! verry nice! whole mix is distorted tho... Would have been a way better beat in my ears if the mix wasnt distorted...

Beatronome: Nice swing!... nice panning in the mix!... Great relax vibe... dont really got allot of points i would have changed i guess... but where is your vocal tag?!

MOXATRON: Nice what you did with the letter on the rhythm!!!... The piano and the flute come to gether just fine! Drums are a bit static tho... would have loved some more swing in them! Really creative on the loads of chops!

Enzoeyeris: Yeah this is what i mean!! you clearly boost ting up and think about your mix!! I like that! Drum are a bit to wide tho (in my ears, but fuck my ears.. lool) ooh switch a to c i would have left outta there... kills the vibe... or maby place it somewhere else in the arrangement...

miRss: Hmm mix is a bit wattery and weird compressed? Chops are sometimes a bit chaotic alsot but not all the time.. some parts of the chops are verry nice... but sometimes they dont really glue together... and where is your vocal tagg??

Mortimer Finklehouser: Wow this is crazzzy!! Sounds like musicbox that has been raped and i mean that in a good way! The switch to normal is a bit abrupt (just outta the blue).. You definitly been creative with the different parts, dope!

Doulmondo: i was typing a comment but then i read you used a additional bass... i do blame you.. sorry the rules are the rules.. that bass sound you got is easy to get from the sample... watch the topic and see the tutorial vid and post...

Komplikated beats: Hmm back at your old self.. lol.. drums are verry good... but the sample work is just not my taste... i really think you should focus more on the music an less on the mix... Chops just some collected sounds in my ears (sorry for being so hard on you, you know i like you allot) woop woop

Plusga: Nice work on the drums!! Work on the sample not my thing... Swing is dope but the sample usage is just a bit to simple in my ears... i checked your page and heared some other beats.. and i know you could have done way better things with the sample.. But the drums are verry nice and got a great swing!

Meerdat: You cant sing, you should not sing, your beats suck, eat poo and choke on it!

K-Dash: Verry nice use of the reversed sample!!... drums a bit to much upfront and a bit to much static for me... hmm when the vocal comes in it makes my think you got another sample than that we got... becouse i think i know the sample.. and where is your vocal tagg?

Beatinyo: Nice work! Happy to see that you reacted on your friend about the use of a external bass btw!... Beat gets a bit plain after a while but with a rapper on it that would be no problem... like it how you worked out your 4th or 8th bar.. so it isnt just the same part repeating over and over again.. drums are a bit static also...

Earl chambers: oo... the harmonics are outta tone... when the flute comes in that all changes (and makes me happy) i really cant stand the offkey parts sorry... uptempo vibe doesnt do it for me also... heared better beats from you i remember...

Jondis: I'm on a spaceship!!! I dont always like your beats but your so god damn creative... shits just crazy... That lfo work in the beginning is really dope... Drums are clean.. verry nice shaker... i want to see you try to make a pop hit becouse i think you would murder it... you definitly got ears/skills and a verry fast workflow (always one of the first) 9 outta 10!

Filozway: Dudeee... lol!!! epic frikkin epic how you overlayerd that high pitched part!!!... But why and 808? kit?? or am i wrong? Drums come out to cheesy on this one... if you would have payed more attention on the drum sounds it would have been really amazing (as usual.. ur sick) 7 outta 10!

And im going for the creativity vote this week (becouse there was external bass allowed).... My vote goes to JONDIS

It was between him and mellowyouth... but jondis always know to amaze me... dont always like his beats but i can definitly smell the creativity!

#11 Areou

Areou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Interests:....well yes music
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/areou

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:33 PM

first have to put in my two cents about the bass creation......all I did to try and make bass where there is none was just time shift down until I basically only hear bass then see how I can filter and rock that....and my mix always sounds crappy I gotta apologize when I'm filtering I try to remember to leave room for the other sounds and I've been messing around with a compressor but still have not stumbled upon the blanket always mixes it right trick (any suggestions would be greatly appreciated).....but list this week, ya'll killed it:

Beats4Food
Soul_up
Beatfux
Roger Beattaker
GMG
Brotha B
Rowsedower
Dead Marauder
J Sense
S.F.T.
Mellow Youth
Pawl
OSO
Beatronome
Enzoeyeris
Moxatron
Beatinyo
Jondis

but my gut says:
PLUSGA

Am I a Jack of all Trades??...... Nope!!....I like to write songs though.......are they good??...I don't know...

#12 django

django

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:14 PM

i really didnt feel this sample, no matter what i tried i couldn't make it sound not gay...big up enzo tho
anyway its cool how some of yall flipped the sample made it sound interestng, and some of yall brought out some fat basslines - nice!

beats i liked most were by oso, jondis,beatronome, my vote goes to jondis, you killed the sample in nthe begining UGH and really cool drums

props to meerdat for all the energy!

#13 earlchambers

earlchambers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:12.5%
  • Soundcloud:/earlchambers

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:34 PM

it's funny meerdat, if i was being self critical i would agree with every word.
just gotta do something proper so you give me a break next round!
props tho.

just listenin thru these beats and they're all top notch and very listenable.
will vote in a bit.

#14 Beatronome

Beatronome

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/beatronome

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:37 PM

but still have not stumbled upon the blanket always mixes it right trick (any suggestions would be greatly appreciated).....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpIiRg_UpwE

Best. Tutorial. Ever.
  • Mortimer Finklehouser likes this

#15 Areou

Areou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Interests:....well yes music
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/areou

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:08 PM

Best. Tutorial. Ever.

awesome!

#16 earlchambers

earlchambers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:12.5%
  • Soundcloud:/earlchambers

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:33 PM

it's between gmg and sft for me, gonna go with sft

#17 sft

sft

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Interests:Beats Rhymes & Life.

Facebook.com/sftbeats
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/sftbeats

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:28 PM

Like:

Mellow Youth
Milky Way
Beatfux
GMG
pawl.
BeatsforFood - such a positively happy song hahaha. I can totally see a boy band singing over this and making it a hit.
Jamsbeats - Epic.
OSO
Areou.
BEAAATRONOME. nice.
Meerdat
Beatinyo
Jondis - amaaaaazing soundscape.

Top 3:

Jondis
Meerdat
Beatronome.

#18 Analog-Burners

Analog-Burners

Rookie

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:53 PM

I gotta roll w/ OSØ on this one...still my fav joint for this sample. A lotta people smashed it though.

#19 OSŲ

OSŲ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:interests?

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:07 PM

Going With the First beat I Heard PLUS+GA
This flip is ridiculous.

Almost gave it to S.F.T. Swing and crispy guitar chops were dope.

#20 Beats For Food

Beats For Food

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/casik

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:43 PM

favorites:
SFT
Pawl
Areou
GMG
Meerdat
Beatinyo
Beatronome
JAMS BEATS.

I have to choose between SFT and Jams beats. Both got that happy sound and good flow. SFT had better mixing, but I liked Jam's beat structure/build.
JAMS BEATS beautiful

ps. Im working on a free beattape. Coming soon!

#21 gmgbeatz

gmgbeatz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:03 PM

I am going with Beatfux

#22 Beatinyo

Beatinyo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/beatinyo

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:15 AM

dont have the time to comment on all tracks but have listen to all

OSO
MELLOW YOUTH
JONDIS for pure creativity and completly killing the sample

#23 NellStalgya

NellStalgya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Music,Movies,Soccer
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/nellathechiller

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:31 AM

Favourites

TV ost
J sense
Emrou

gmg
Milkyway
beatfux

vote goes to
BEATS for food ,beasT was very close

#24 pawl

pawl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:56 AM

milkyway
onetone
gmgbeats
sft
draconis
beatfux
OSO
areou
beatronome
meerdat
beatinyo

#25 Mortimer Finklehouser

Mortimer Finklehouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/mortimer-finklehouser

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:37 AM

Areou - great track I would have probably voted for you but something was sounding unright with the kick drum to me, slighty distorted or something.
One tone - I really liked this track almost voted for it
For the recored I pretty much like everyones beats that post to these boards only a couple a week suck. All you regulars are extremely talented producers. I don't list a long line of mentions, but I have respect for all you veterans of the board and try to comment on every track.

JAMS BEATS

#26 TV.OST

TV.OST

Rookie

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:experimenting with sounds, going to art school, listening to raster noton, stones throw and brainfeeder

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:10 AM

dope trio:
Plusga
Beatronome
OSO

cool things:
soul_up (cool minimalist sound, especially drums and bass)
B ℮ a s T (cool things with hihats)
aReOu (great loud drums sounding live)
Opin (very nice beggining and ending)
Illeyes (so funny in good way)
Analog Burners (cool repetitions)

but the dopest is

pawl

PS thanks for all opinions, really appreciate that

#27 OneTone

OneTone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:beatz
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/onetone-1

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:36 AM

Not everything undoubtedly keep their brand but I want to emphasize aReOu

#28 Emrou

Emrou

Rookie

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:38 AM

MellowYouth
MilkyWay
Beatinyo
Beats for Food
Jams Beats
Areou
Beast
NeLLStalgya
GMG
S.F.T
BEATFUX

#29 Ƀ ℮ a s T

Ƀ ℮ a s T

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Making music, art, all that jazz.
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/beast-1

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:06 PM

Sorry guys, can't vote this week. I've been mad off and it wouldn't be fair.
Can't lie, this was my least favorite beat entry. I'm in the middle of learning new tricks and I'm all over the place
Thanks for all the vote mentions
And a special shoutout to Meerdat, I don't know about you guys but I love hearing criticism, good or bad. I need something to go on so I don't get stale
Good luck everyone

Peas

#30 unibrowser

unibrowser

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:07 PM

Opin Draconis
Jam Beats
OSO
Jondis