5 replies to this topic

#1 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:44 PM

I've been using audacity to record vinyl onto my laptop, but when I add the track to my itunes the volume is very low. I've never done this before so I could use some assistance.

#2 Machiventa

Machiventa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Interests:Love, Hugs, & Hip Hop Soul

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:01 PM

just highlight the area you want louder and go into effects and click amplify. i usually add more decibels than the default detects, if you do that make sure to check allow clipping. you'll probably want to experiment with a small section before you find the right amount of amplification.

#3 arlodizzle

arlodizzle

The Unheard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:03 PM

I've been using audacity to record vinyl onto my laptop, but when I add the track to my itunes the volume is very low. I've never done this before so I could use some assistance.

Also, try turning up the volume on your preamp or turning up the input volume in Audacity before recording.

#4 Machiventa

Machiventa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Interests:Love, Hugs, & Hip Hop Soul

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:22 PM

haha good point! yeah do that first and if it's still low try adding amplification via my instructions above.

here's a pic of a track that i had to add some amps to. as you can see the level was fairly low and i selected a section and added about 7.5 decibels to get that part close to what most tracks should be.
Posted Image

#5 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for the tips.

#6 Guest_Outlier_*

Guest_Outlier_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:40 PM

Ideally you want to meter the incoming signal from your amp, mixer, etc. so that the signal is being recorded at an optimal level.

For vinyl I listen to the track with the dB meters on to find the peak level. Once I establish the peak, I turn up/down the gain so that it hits right around -2db. I then record the track.

You don't want to use the software to turn up the levels because this increases the noise floor of the recording.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users