35 replies to this topic

#1 Shannon Jack

Shannon Jack

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/Shannon_Jack

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:09 AM

I flipped this sample then found alchemist flipped it.

Alchemist

SJ

17 year old vs one of hiphops leading producers who is also signed to eminem as a DJ and worked with many mainstream artists.

Which then makes me question what separates the bedroom producers from professional producing seeing as you can make professional beats in your bedroom? Hmm..

#2 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:52 AM

if you erase talent from the equation, connections and subsequently money, then fame then bitches. in that order, always.

but true, being in the right place at the right time. true many bedroom producers are indeed far better imo than many signed professionals, but what yah gon do. Like I said, if you meet the right people at the right time, you get heard by the right ears and those ears like you, you rub them the right way, you become pals, they bring you on. Even if you are not as good as some other guy in his bedroom.

#3 captaincookie

captaincookie

STMC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:15 AM

With the prevalence of the internet, the line has become so blurred that there really is no distinction anymore, other than the fact that the "professional producer" has resources and they've PROVEN to be able to handle the pressures that come with. I do feel that everyone who's in their position probably deserves to be there.

When I was 10, I was in a National Junior Basketball program and we had won our division, which meant we were able to play at Halftime at the Staples Center during a Clippers game or some shit, I forget. But whereas our teams were actually pretty good in our domain, during that halftime, no one scored a single point. It was because of the pressure.

Just saying, some of these bedroom producers are making their best work BECAUSE no one is looking at them. People who have the ability to perform under pressure have a gift and deserve to be where they're at, if they can maintain.
  • DAWHUD, Mr Teeth, airjordan0815 and 1 other like this

#4 airjordan0815

airjordan0815

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Longs walks on the beach, beats, rhymes, life, and kittens

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

it's all about who you know and how willing you are to put your name out there

#5 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:25 PM

With the prevalence of the internet, the line has become so blurred that there really is no distinction anymore, other than the fact that the "professional producer" has resources and they've PROVEN to be able to handle the pressures that come with. I do feel that everyone who's in their position probably deserves to be there.

When I was 10, I was in a National Junior Basketball program and we had won our division, which meant we were able to play at Halftime at the Staples Center during a Clippers game or some shit, I forget. But whereas our teams were actually pretty good in our domain, during that halftime, no one scored a single point. It was because of the pressure.

Just saying, some of these bedroom producers are making their best work BECAUSE no one is looking at them. People who have the ability to perform under pressure have a gift and deserve to be where they're at, if they can maintain.

Word. When I was 17 & 18 working with a Yamaha SU10 I was sampling the same records that producers were using at the same time. At first I was a little pissed, but then realized that I must be doing something right if I have the same ear that these other cats have.

#6 Shannon Jack

Shannon Jack

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:17 AM

So what does a bedroom producer have to do to say im a "professional" producer. My cousin said its about experience but i got 14 years experience on a football pitch and im no were no professional.

@airjordan0815 You said "it's all about who you know and how willing you are to put your name out there" I know some of the best hiphop artists in the uk, some of the best producers, am i professional now?

@DAWHUD I was thinking the same thing the other day i was listening to a smokey robinson song and straight away thought this is dope did some research and dilla sampled it so i let it slide

@captaincookie What you said stuck in my head yesterday i was in the studio with another producer and he just couldnt seem to make a beat i really see what you mean there.

By the way people i was asked this question by somebody and still havent really thought about a good answer but i was saying if you want to be professional first you have to be seen professional your not going to see 9th wonder with a webcam picture throwing up a some kind of hand sign are you? lol then its your attitude, how are you going to go to a business meeting if you in jordans, new era hat and speaking like you a drug dealer? then once your seen as professional and you have a professional approach go that step further and register your label as a company. Your now a changed person and own a company formulate your business plan, networking, promoting ect ect ect but just make sure your MUSIC is sounding professional first! but yeah im gone i got gym this was just something quick i wrote and my opinion peace man!

#7 sugoisounds

sugoisounds

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Soundcloud:sugoisounds

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:53 AM

By definition a professional earns money from their profession.
Like, a busker that lives off busking is a professional busker. That's all the word means.

#8 Charlie

Charlie

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:28 AM

think about it this way...

you might have all the talent in the world but talk is cheap. it's alot harder to convince someone that you'll make their shit hot when you're working off your desk next to your bed with mad blunt roaches everywhere.

equipment represents a lot to people who don't understand the ins and outs of producing. once again, talk is cheap and equipment/studio space isn't. a client is gonna see that and know you paid your dues and ended up there somehow.

people are stupid

#9 thethiefstheme

thethiefstheme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://snd.sc/oLdd3n

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:57 PM

charlie speaks the truth. gotta get out there and go to studios n shit, show them ur the shit and get in contact with rappers n shit. if your beats are so fucking hot, go on twitter and start sending them to rappers, saying ur the best, go to local studios, or go to LA and bootleg your shit at shows

tl;dr

stop being a lazy fuck

#10 Shannon Jack

Shannon Jack

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:25 PM

Stop being a lazy fuck? lmao im from the uk im out here i dont need to spam twitter rappers have heard my stuff & im working on stuff for some good artists but this isnt about what "im" doing & not doing... i was just asking a question about what makes the bedroom producer different to the professional you got your sh*t twisted

#11 thethiefstheme

thethiefstheme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://snd.sc/oLdd3n

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

haha wasn't directed completely at you bromo but like, idk, people stay in their bedrooms all day and make beats, put them online, nobody listens then they wonder why nobodies listening.

#12 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,501 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

Which then makes me question what separates the bedroom producers from professional producing

some little bellend sat in his room taking time out from cracking one off to 'dig' for mp3's on blogs to sample into fruity loops . . . mainly

#13 Shannon Jack

Shannon Jack

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:00 AM

Yeah thats true you could be the best producer but if your unheard whats it worth?

@shakey finch 9th wonder won a grammy from a program he downloaded off the internet watch his new documentry. Does that mean his a bedroom producer and not professional because he uses FLSTUDIO?

#14 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:38 AM

@shakey finch 9th wonder won a grammy from a program he downloaded off the internet watch his new documentry. Does that mean his a bedroom producer and not professional because he uses FLSTUDIO?

9th was definitely a bedroom producer. I remember seeing him on boxden all the time back in the day. Then he hooked Jigga up with a beat and BOOM he blew the fuck up.

#15 Guest_GOYO(Monsta X)_*

Guest_GOYO(Monsta X)_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:09 AM

In all honesty professionals often have a better knowledge about the equipment they are using. Most bedroom producers have no clue what the software or equipment they use can actually do. For example I had a friend who thought a numark dj io was a sound card. I had to explain to him that it was a interface.

#16 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,501 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:47 AM

Yeah thats true you could be the best producer but if your unheard whats it worth?

to be honest . . . i dont actually care your like the millionth teenager to come to these boards tell us your on some next level shit and then argue your point, you might be i dont care and i dont care about 9th wonder, you keep rocking them mp3's bluud

#17 Constrobuz

Constrobuz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:08 AM

there are plenty of producers who have mpcs and all kinds of hardware and sample vinyl and make awful beats (usually wannabe golden age pete rock shit).

#18 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

there are plenty of producers who have mpcs and all kinds of hardware and sample vinyl and make awful beats (usually wannabe golden age pete rock shit).

Sorry.
  • SunnyMeadowz likes this

#19 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:13 PM

Sorry.

Nothing to be sorry about Primate. Your wannabe golden age Pete Rock beats are dope.

#20 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:02 PM

Nothing to be sorry about Primate. Your wannabe golden age Pete Rock beats are dope.

Haha.

#21 taza_one

taza_one

Taste Maker

• Members
  • 3,460 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/titobeats

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:47 AM

to be honest . . . i dont actually care your like the millionth teenager to come to these boards tell us your on some next level shit and then argue your point, you might be i dont care and i dont care about 9th wonder, you keep rocking them mp3's bluud

:lol:

#22 Shannon Jack

Shannon Jack

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

Your replying & going totally off the subject, have you been smoking something? I never came on here saying i was on some "next level shit" i don't even understand what you mean by that, speak English! & Your mentality is actually my perfect example of a bedroom producers attitude. Arguing? Do you think i have time to argue on forums? You are clearly lost & fighting a online battle with yourself because i am no part of it. I asked a simple question & wanted to hear other peoples opinions if you haven't got a opinion & don't care then grow up & there is no need to comment talking complete and utter bullsh*t.

#23 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:16 PM

Posted Image

#24 OKG

OKG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:39 AM

Which then makes me question what separates the bedroom producers from professional producing seeing as you can make professional beats in your bedroom? Hmm..

all you wanted from this was for people to give you daps and/or say your beat was on par with alc, it's NOT. the mix sounds amateur as fuck.

#25 taza_one

taza_one

Taste Maker

• Members
  • 3,460 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/titobeats

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:58 AM

Actually this is pretty stupid. All a proffessional producer is is someone who gets paid for it. A lot of pro producers make their beats in their room or home studio before recording in the studio. Bad comparison.

#26 captaincookie

captaincookie

STMC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:48 AM

Actually this is pretty stupid. All a proffessional producer is is someone who gets paid for it. A lot of pro producers make their beats in their room or home studio before recording in the studio. Bad comparison.

no I know I personally was just speaking in terms of the mentality and knowledge that's required to stay consistent and relevant as a professional producer, is all. Shit, I get paid and I use Fruity Loops. It doesn't matter.

This dude Shannon Jack is mad, though. Please, let's keep this going to see how far down the rabbit hole we can go.

#27 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

bedroom producers equate to the phenomenom that as one succeeds he builds his dreams up and up, but forever, desiring something he thinks is so cloase... professional label signage. He sits in his room and dreams forever of "Making it big".

That good enuff cap'ncookie?

#28 Shannon Jack

Shannon Jack

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

I sold 2 beats this week does that mean i'm professional now?

#29 Shannon Jack

Shannon Jack

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:45 PM

You can think im mad but i just want to know some peoples opinions whats wrong with that? I ain't troubling nobody just asking a question if people think i'm doing it for the wrong reasons or don't want to talk about it & want to talk about some next bullshit like the mix of my music then message me and we can talk about it, but stick to the subject, thats all.

#30 captaincookie

captaincookie

STMC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:57 PM

bedroom producers equate to the phenomenom that as one succeeds he builds his dreams up and up, but forever, desiring something he thinks is so cloase... professional label signage. He sits in his room and dreams forever of "Making it big".

That good enuff cap'ncookie?

I don't even know what we're talking about, anymore.

I'm out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users