Photo

Damn I been getting lucky at the Thrift!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 durty finga

durty finga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:49 PM

So I got these records for $22.50 at the thrift store. One of those digs that makes you feel lucky to be at the right place and time. Def not the typical records I find at that spot. Mmm...DrumDrops!

Posted Image

Post your digs!

#2 scabs

scabs

Facebook.com/scabsallover Scabsallover.bandcamp.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Ableton9, APC40, & Monome 40h

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/scabsallover

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:30 PM

So I got these records for $22.50 at the thrift store. One of those digs that makes you feel lucky to be at the right place and time. Def not the typical records I find at that spot. Mmm...DrumDrops!

Posted Image

Post your digs!

good to see. remember mostly anything is good to sample as long as you know what your doing and how you plan to do it.. PEACE!

#3 DeeSupreme

DeeSupreme

growing up is for trees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:33 PM

looks dope and sounds dope ! and thats damn cheap too, ive never gotten 6 records for 22,50 or even close :o
i bet you find dope samples from that ambassadors...

damn dope

#4 godzilla

godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:09 PM

looks dope and sounds dope ! and thats damn cheap too, ive never gotten 6 records for 22,50 or even close :o
i bet you find dope samples from that ambassadors...
damn dope

I've bought 22 records for that price in American dollars. you need to hit the dollar bins or the thrift stores.

#5 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:51 PM

good to see. remember mostly anything is good to sample as long as you know what your doing and how you plan to do it.. PEACE!

yeah, true... but you dont want a record collection full of rubbish. May as well seek out the best records while you're at it.

Nice haul there , excellent Last Poets action. whaty are these Drum Drops lp's???

#6 scabs

scabs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:53 PM

yeah, true... but you dont want a record collection full of rubbish. May as well seek out the best records while you're at it.
Nice haul there , excellent Last Poets action. whaty are these Drum Drops lp's???

Like I said, EVERYTHING IS A GOOD SAMPLE IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING. Drumdrops obviously are that, drum drops.... breaks... shit to sample drums off of. DOLLARBINS are lovely.

#7 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:36 AM

Like I said, EVERYTHING IS A GOOD SAMPLE IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING. Drumdrops obviously are that, drum drops.... breaks... shit to sample drums off of. DOLLARBINS are lovely.

so what are they? like a Library record or more instructional??

can you (scabs) post up a link to some of your beats i can listen to.... i keep hearing all these beat making tips coming from your way -- i want to check out your skills.

#8 Patch Lunch

Patch Lunch

is flavour like praline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:40 AM

Like I said, EVERYTHING IS A GOOD SAMPLE IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING.

sorry mate, but thats bollocks. (in US - bullshit)

#9 H.J.Kitten

H.J.Kitten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:08 AM

i agree. you need some half decent record to sample from. i mean you can get an average beat out of a bad record but its a limitation thats not needed. nevertheless its sometimes fun to have a challenge...oh and drum drops are an lp series with just clean non sequenced drums on if im not mistaken. the copies i have are later in the series like vol. 14,17...and the include bpms on the back!!! sweet as a nut.

#10 Drums

Drums

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:14 AM

damn! lucky man! those drum drops look sooo good. i've on from the series. it's yellow though. these ones looks better. haha. judging the book by it's cover. wish we had thrift stores like this over here.

#11 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

can you (scabs) post up a link to some of your beats i can listen to.... i keep hearing all these beat making tips coming from your way -- i want to check out your skills.

Remember that kid (back in the elementary school days) that always said they could do ill shit, like a backflip or dunk a basketball, or beat up anyone and when you asked them to do it they said "I don't feel like it right now"? Thus Scabs.

#12 Sanka

Sanka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Folding clothes.

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:53 PM

sorry mate, but thats bollocks. (in US - bullshit)

Ha !!! :(

#13 durty finga

durty finga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:43 PM

The DrumDrops are really nice! I've never seen them in the field but had prior knowledge of them. When I was flipping lps at the spot I first came across the "Across 110th" OST. I was happy cuz this is NOT the spot to find much more than "Tiny Bubbles". So flipping thru some more got the Jimmy Smith,cool,Dick Gregory, cool, then moved to the next row and the second record was Drum Drops. Needless to say it got yanked right quick! And right behind it , another one! So I got Vol 1(mint 1978) and Vol 6 (sealed but not for long 1981). The recording is better than average, and they are all drums from beginning to end!. And that Ambassadors is pretty ill!

#14 durty finga

durty finga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:36 PM

I'm feeling nice so here is a free track off Drum Drops Vol 1. Enjoy!

#15 hot_cocoa

hot_cocoa

flow slow as mongo

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:39 PM

i once found a soundtrack to an old 70's TV show about the galaxy at a salvo for 1.75 and i was a quarter short and the women wouldnt let me buy it. I was like "no one else is gonna buy this"

#16 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,507 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:44 AM

i once found a soundtrack to an old 70's TV show about the galaxy at a salvo for 1.75 and i was a quarter short and the women wouldnt let me buy it. I was like "no one else is gonna buy this"

i went to a small charity shop they had about 25 records in a crate the sign said "records free" i asked if i could take them all she said no :D i picked 5 out and left

stupid woman

#17 DeeSupreme

DeeSupreme

growing up is for trees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:01 AM

quote(Godzilla) : "I've bought 22 records for that price in American dollars. you need to hit the dollar bins or the thrift stores. "

quote(Drums) : "wish we had thrift stores like this over here." ... exactly, and when i do find a thrift store where there is this 1 dollar ("1 euro") bin theres most likely just these wack 80īs synth pop albums and all that shit :S... gonna visit amsterdam in the summer though...

#18 godzilla

godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:04 AM

quote(Godzilla) : "I've bought 22 records for that price in American dollars. you need to hit the dollar bins or the thrift stores. "

quote(Drums) : "wish we had thrift stores like this over here." ... exactly, and when i do find a thrift store where there is this 1 dollar ("1 euro") bin theres most likely just these wack 80īs synth pop albums and all that shit :S... gonna visit amsterdam in the summer though...

cool cool, good luck. I forget how nice we have it

#19 DeeSupreme

DeeSupreme

growing up is for trees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:07 AM

gonna need it :D haha

#20 DeeSupreme

DeeSupreme

growing up is for trees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:12 AM

is that break that durty put on share the same one that grand master flash juggled in the wild style ?! sounds the same :D well almost that is...

#21 HAZARDEEZY

HAZARDEEZY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:LOOKING THROUGH STRANGERS WINDOWS WITH OUT THEM EVER KNOWING.....

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:03 AM

remember mostly anything is good to sample as long as you know what your doing and how you plan to do it.. PEACE!

That go's against the time and effort people put in to finding good records rather than just sampling anything, post production is cool but it always sounds better if you have a good sample to work with. Just think if Premo or Shadow for example sampled 'anything', their records wouldn't be the classics that they are...I could call you a naive dick but I wont, that would be rude..

#22 Tynamic Caponents

Tynamic Caponents

Rookie

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:54 PM

I just moved to Ohio from New York last year and I already had a very good record collection but I found a spot out here that has madd records for 25 & 50 cents a piece. Some are a buck, (which still isn't bad), and a few are 2 or 5 bucks and I got some nice joints from there. I guess they don't do much diggin' in these parts, (my gain). I'm lovin' it!

#23 Dialog

Dialog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:making music,crate diggin,traveling

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:01 AM

i bought someones record collection for 40 bucks the other day, some decent stuff old jazz and whatnot.

the collection is only about 100 records but for 40 bucks c'mon :huh:

#24 mattb1191

mattb1191

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:59 PM

yea i got a sick deal at a flea market once got an original birth of the cool lp from like 1957 for 5 bucks NM condition...said 75 on the price tag but the guy was busy so i pretended there wasnt a price and his buddy that knew nothing about records asked me the artist so i said miles, he asked me for ten but i "only had 5"....

#25 mattb1191

mattb1191

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:00 PM

^^^i mean i got that more for collectable reasons but still it was a sick deal

#26 DeeSupreme

DeeSupreme

growing up is for trees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:59 PM

sounds dope man, sometimes you gotta be sneaky at the thrift store :D

#27 scabs

scabs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:14 PM

so what are they? like a Library record or more instructional??

yeah, sorry I haven't had a chance to check this thread out for a while.

http://download.yous...8D9FF7A55E29BF4 for the next 7 days starting now.

#28 scabs

scabs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:53 PM

remember mostly anything is good to sample as long as you know what your doing and how you plan to do it.. PEACE!
That go's against the time and effort people put in to finding good records rather than just sampling anything, post production is cool but it always sounds better if you have a good sample to work with. Just think if Premo or Shadow for example sampled 'anything', their records wouldn't be the classics that they are...I could call you a naive dick but I wont, that would be rude..

So what would you call Madlib who samples bullshit and turns it to gold? then samples dope stuff and turns it to diamond? YEAH that would be rude. Madlib would frown upon you. Me, I don't profess being a producer, I make beats. I rhyme. I engineer. If I need to do my own stuff I would be capable of doing so, I don't want to, but I could.
So call me a naive dick, I don't mind, thats actually pretty soft compared to what other people think of me.

(ppl in these message boards can turn a nice guy into an asshole pretty quick)

I'm sooooooooooooo done with this site's message board.

Go ahead cheer! I'm sure EEEEEEEEEEEVERY PERSON SIGNED UP WILL ADD A HURRAY!
PEACE, you have my contact if you ever need me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users