• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

After staying indie for many years, whether he was rapping, singing or DJing, Mayer Hawthorne has gone major and signed with Universal Republic. The label will release the soulman's sophomore debut, How Do You Do, this fall. It will be his first proper effort since 2009's very good, A Strange Arrangement.

Although details surrounding the album remain minimal, he apparently has a new single out today called "A Long Time."

I know people have been speculating on these boards for a while now on whether or not Andrew Cohen would sign with a major.

#2 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:03 PM

Good riddens!

Not to diss, I like who the Mayer is, never got into his music much. Had some good jams but a little happy go lucky for me. I wish him the best tho. So, who is PBW's next star? Ooooooo.

#3 Taskmaster2112

Taskmaster2112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:08 PM

Yeah after the buzz he was getting (he got a multiple-page profile in Rolling Stone, for instance) I figured it was only a matter of time. It'll be interesting to see how much Universal fucks with his style.

#4 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:09 PM

I bet they make him a gansta rappa.

#5 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:16 PM

.... well I feel bad for Hawthorne, he was good on ST and now the major label is gonna fuck him over. The only reason ANYONE would go to major label is too gain a mainstream audience and make more $$$.... and to eventually get fucked over and taken complete control of by the record company

#6 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:30 PM

Haters....

http://www.youtube.c...0q28M5nI#t=180s
Best part of the clip^^^^^^

• airjordan0815 likes this

#7 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:45 PM

.... well I feel bad for Hawthorne, he was good on ST and now the major label is gonna fuck him over. The only reason ANYONE would go to major label is too gain a mainstream audience and make more $$$.... and to eventually get fucked over and taken complete control of by the record company

Janelle Monae switched to a mainstream label and didnt get controlled by mainstream tastes. My point being switching to a major label doesnt always mean being screwed over. You dont personally know his situation or his reasoning for switching labels so how could you jump to any conclusions? IMO he already appeals to a (slightly) mainstream audience.

#8 Vilens

Vilens

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:41 AM

it's probably safe to say he'll never have the creative freedom on a major that he had with peanut butter and stones throw. Although I will not miss his boring ass DJ mixes.

#9 Ferchinho

Ferchinho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:14 AM

i was never much of a mayer hawthorne fan either...i appreciate him as a talented musician...however his sound always seemed rather out of place in the ST catalog....too commercial for my taste

but best of luck to him

#10 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:29 AM

Am I wrong in thinking that it was PBW who "made" him ( use that term lightly) be the Mayer, 60's revisionist, soul crooner? I believe I read the mayer did his shtick as a joke not thinking anything of it. He heart was not in that, it was in DJ'ing and rap. But Peanut Butter Dub made him do that cause he thought it would sell.

Now tell me? Whose the mutherfucking man?

#11 HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:01 AM

Am I wrong in thinking that it was PBW who "made" him ( use that term lightly) be the Mayer, 60's revisionist, soul crooner? I believe I read the mayer did his shtick as a joke not thinking anything of it. He heart was not in that, it was in DJ'ing and rap. But Peanut Butter Dub made him do that cause he thought it would sell.

Yes, the whole Mayer Hawthorne thing was started by Cohen and some of his friends as a joke. Yes, PBW liked it and thought it would sell. No, PBW did not force Cohen to do it. PBW gives his artists almost complete freedom. So if Cohen really didn't want to do the Mayer Hawthorne thing, he wouldn't have.

I hope that Cohen is allowed to have similar freedom on a major label.

#12 nerp

nerp

Rookie

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:55 PM

So is that the Jake One album or is that not happening anymore?

#13 quikfit

quikfit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

Strange that there's been no comment from ST about all this. Would also be interesting to read a comment from Mayer as to why he made the switch. Seems like it would be hard to switch from ST to a major (and an interesting move in today's music business climate).
Regardless, all the best to him!

#14 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

That's cool for him :)

#15 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:57 PM

Strange that there's been no comment from ST about all this. Would also be interesting to read a comment from Mayer as to why he made the switch. Seems like it would be hard to switch from ST to a major (and an interesting move in today's music business climate).
Regardless, all the best to him!

maybe with todays industry, just cause he is signed to do x amount of albums with the major he is still part of st. idk. could be an st related still?

#16 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

So is that Jake One album not happening anymore?

This is the only Andrew Cohen news that excites me these days. Would be nice to see the Adrew/Uno album drop on ST. Guess we'll just keep our fingers crossed for now.

#17 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

ps. do you think he'll cry?

#18 Monarch Tree

Monarch Tree

Rookie

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:music, The bible
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/monarch-tree

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:28 AM

Well if he realy wants to make a decent living as a musician it's probably for the better, congrats to him. just as long as the man keeps wearing those glasses.

#19 waddoo

waddoo

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

maybe with todays industry, just cause he is signed to do x amount of albums with the major he is still part of st. idk. could be an st related still?

This is more than likely the case. Mayer probably had a contract with Stones Throw but PBW said that he should go ahead and get on a bigger label because of the opportunity. It's a smart move and I'm pretty sure Mayer would stay true to himself because he came from Stones Throw and that's the label's persona.
  • mangoes cash likes this

#20 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:18 PM

So this definitely doesn't deserve its own thread but seriously wtf is going on here?

Hall & Hawthorne

#21 Charlie

Charlie

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

I'm sure Wolf's stoked for his buddy... how you gonna hate on helping your friend go bigtime

#22 assembly_line

assembly_line

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:48 PM

stack cheddar hawthorne. ramen to steak.

#23 brownbuffalo

brownbuffalo

Rookie

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:27 AM

you guys are tripping. Stones Throw had mayer under contract and SOLD his contract to Universal. Stones throw made a substantial amount of money off this move.

#24 ShirtReynolds

ShirtReynolds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Dirty knees. . .

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

you guys are tripping. Stones Throw had mayer under contract and SOLD his contract to Universal. Stones throw made a substantial amount of money off this move.

Did they? I didn't think he'd be the type to get a multi-record contract right out the gate. But thats smart if they did, Fat Mike used to do that with his bands back in the day when majors were interested in signing any pop-punk band they could find.

But I don't see why people are flipping that Mayer went major. He put out a great pop record in '09, impressed the right people, and got picked up. Its not like a major getting a hold of a band like the Pixies or Minor Threat or something. He was already pretty good at reaching a wide audience, and now he's got more financial backing to reach even more people. Go Mayer, can't wait to hear the new record.

#25 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:19 AM

This is the first I've heard of Hawthorne's new stuff. I'm actually really feeling the lyrics and message of this joint. From the looks of the this video it seems like Universal is going the 'let's keep everyone thinking he's a black guy' route.

#26 thethiefstheme

thethiefstheme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://snd.sc/oLdd3n

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:35 PM

^haha @ 'thinking he's a black guy'

#27 ShirtReynolds

ShirtReynolds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Dirty knees. . .

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:59 AM

Album finally dropped (at least on iTunes). Sounds pretty good from the first listen. Snoop singing his verse on track 3 was a pleasant surprise haha. Lemme know what you guys think whenever you get around to listening to it.

#28 Shadeprint

Shadeprint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://www.soundcloud.com/shadeprint

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:49 PM

It's good to see artists Stones Throw has worked with/developed/promote be able to sold to a major market while still making good music with a different approach.

I'd personally keep my eye on Jonti, massive potential for greatness.

#29 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:57 AM

Looks like Tarantino directed the new video...

#30 Chop

Chop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:36 AM

Money, money, money. Must be funny. In the rich man's world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users