#1081 GC90

GC90

waxramble / Discogs / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:50 PM

I think Caskets is probably the best of his verses.

Haven't listened to the project, sad to hear all the Doom spots weren't like Caskets, I was really digging that one

#1082 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:03 PM

i could be overstating it. On Great Things he's sandwiched between two weak verses and two godawful choruses, and his delivery is alright, but it's a short weird verse about positive thinking and motivation that sounds very un-villainous to me.

Disastrous does kind of sound like a One Beer pt. II and it's way better verse than Great Things ("we stay reppin till it spread like the Black Death / and shred mice till no wack left / crack breath") but it sounds to me like he has a fuckin cold, or he's mumbly, or this is the first and only take he did.

#1083 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:25 AM

LMAO GET ON THIS:

cassette-2.jpg

cassette-3.jpg

Lex is on that cassette bandwagon, multicolor. They don't seem to release anybody but DOOM on cassette. Wonder if it was DOOM's idea? "You know, I've found I can buy, on average, a few extra beers if you guys release a cassette version"

#1084 jax green

jax green

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:02 PM

Actually got to hang out with Bishop last weekend. I was with my industry buddies (used to work at XXL) backstage at Danny Brown, and there he was. For some reason, a friend of mine had the bright idea of sneaking Bishop into a bar afterward (kid has never drank before). And it worked! But he wasn't really interested in it—just sat that there with a smile on his face and declined us buying him beers.

For the record, the guy is a total sweetheart. We also talked about Madlib for a bit and the discussion of looping vs. "stabs" (inspired by a Jon Wayne tweet earlier in the week).

• SwampThing, GC90, James Frank. and 2 others like this

#1085 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

Did he explain how he managed to afford a bunch of doom beats?

#1086 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:16 AM

Did he explain how he managed to afford a bunch of doom beats?

Rich Uncle.
  • James Frank. likes this

#1087 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:56 AM

^ that should've been the band name... Rich Uncle is way catchier than "_____+DOOM" or "DOOM+_____" or "MF+______" or any other awkward combination of names.

#1088 jax green

jax green

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:06 AM

Rich Uncle.

Aren't a lot of these beats from DOOM's tapes? Honestly after meeting the kid, I think it was just about liking and believing in the guy.

#1089 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:01 PM

Picked up Nehruviandoom, wish this would get an instrumental release (I bought it since I'm 99% sure they won't do that) . Still an ok release, but wish it was solo doom instead.

#1090 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:05 AM

madlib-+-doom-web_070a.jpg

#1091 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:09 PM

I think that photo is a great explanation for the current state of MV2.

The Madlib is present and accounted for; meanwhile The Villain is nowhere to be seen...

• GC90, Samir_ and Noodle Fingers like this

#1092 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:58 PM

Madlib should remix MV1 again lol

• James Frank. likes this

#1093 Yvon

Yvon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:29 AM

I think that photo is a great explanation for the current state of MV2.

The Madlib is present and accounted for; meanwhile The Villain is nowhere to be seen...

And only one beer left.

• SunnyMeadowz likes this

#1094 oblivion

oblivion

Rookie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:41 AM

The GTA V reissue is going to have a new DOOM cut on flylo fm. Probably produced by Flying Lotus.

#1095 jax green

jax green

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

The GTA V reissue is going to have a new DOOM cut on flylo fm. Probably produced by Flying Lotus.

As well as one with Flying Lotus and…Krayzie Bone!? That's amazing.

#1096 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:56 PM

Picked up Nehruviandoom, wish this would get an instrumental release (I bought it since I'm 99% sure they won't do that) . Still an ok release, but wish it was solo doom instead.

I'm reluctant to even listen.  Huge DOOM fan but I can't get into Nehru.  His buzz doesn't seem natural.  In one sense I'm shocked DOOM would put out an LP with an upstart like him, but in another, it makes perfect sense.  It's the same reason why Kanye had Kendrick open for him on his Yeezus tour.  This is going to be understood as blasphemy by some of you but the reality of the situation is that there is not better way for someone like DOOM to stay relevant/ appeal to a younger generation than collaborating w/ someone as marketable as Nehru.  I'll probably press play on this album a year or two from now.  I doubt I'm missing anything.  

• felixherandez likes this

#1097 NickleBanks

NickleBanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:38 AM

I just picked up the Nehru-DOOM... my two pennies:

Great production from DOOM.  Had low expectations going in... expected more old beats than I found...  Instead, found the production side really refreshing. And nice reminder how DOOM comes complete with interludes/instrumental bits that tie tracks together... gives a great "album experience" to the whole thing.

As far as Nehru goes, I think he's great on this.  He's not a game changer type of artist and, though I see the logic in the accusations, I don't think he represents a stab/ploy to grab younger listeners... one thing is, he's sorta got this kind of throwback vibe built into his flow. By that I mean, his words stay closer to the surface (way less abstract than DOOM) and focuses more on the ride than the reference points or intricate word play (which is probably what DOOM fans will miss most with a guy like Bishop).  I say "throwback" but it doesn't sound like someone emulating an older style it just seems to come natural and honest to BN.  Especially with the repetitive choruses, which I like, the overall combo has a nice older school feel to the project.  I hate saying "old school" because again, it doesn't come off as intentionally trying to create an older type of sound and it is a fresh sounding record overall, just don't know how else to describe that aspect of the album.  Though you'd never mistake one for the other, Nehru reminds me of Mr. Fantastik in that he has a somewhat simple approach to the words but can really make a rhyme bounce in way that sounds effortless and smooth.

I'm sure this has been said before, but this one also reminds me a lot the King Geedorah project.  Obviously the recipe is comparable.  But Nehru is that kind of rapper that fits naturally over DOOM production, and because of the production style you can really enjoy a classic rhymes-and-choruses type of approach.  In fact, while I will take all the DOOM verses he's ready to give us, if there's one thing I think would have elevated this project it would have been maybe a couple of guest MCs with the same approach added along the way...

by the way, anyone know what happened to Hassan Chop after "I Wonder"?

#1098 NickleBanks

NickleBanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:41 AM

... oh and anyone notice Quasimoto's latest instagram says "RIP DOOM"... wtf?!

#1099 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:07 AM

^ That's probably bc DOOM is very very unhealthy.

#1100 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:07 AM

Personally I consider Nehruviandoom to be an EP. I like it as an EP.

If I was to consider it an LP id find it a disappointment. (I know it's marketed as an LP but 9 tracks? Anything less than 10 tracks will always be an EP to me). Production is great but Nehru is a little padestrian if I'm honest.

As for the Quasimoto Instagram pic of DOOM being shot...maybe he is going to be another character other than DOOM for a while. If that is the case then perhaps another album on the way. Or maybe DOOM is being awkward again and Madlib has had enough of his B.S. lol

P.S. Wonder if that album that 'Doomsayer' was supposed to be on was canned.

#1101 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,084 posts

Posted Today, 05:15 AM

U0t1Tb1.jpg

RBMA put together a little DOOM webcomic.

#1102 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted Today, 04:21 PM

... oh and anyone notice Quasimoto's latest instagram says "RIP DOOM"... wtf?!

That pic has been around for a while already. For those who don't know the dude behind the mask is Lee Harvey Oswald, who I guess was regarded as something of a villain (or scapegoat) by the US government, being shot by Jack Ruby.

The mask has been superimposed on however many peoples' images now, Benjamin Franklin for example (was he a villain though or is it just about the $?)

Also not the first time a small-time hoax or whatever you want to call it has come about DOOM carking it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users