1069 replies to this topic

#781 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

My guess is that he's just not getting offers (many offers) to release new material.

MC disagree. Many people are waiting on projects which have been discussed ad nauseam on these boards and there's heaps of people willing to work with DOOM. My theory is that he's a perfectionist, that stuff isn't going to be released until it's just right. Even the projects with Madlib and Jneiro took years.

Whatever people say, the stuff he releases is damn well produced, and like you said he ain't making mixtapes and may not have put out a full length record for 18 months but still new collab tracks are dropping now and then for those of us who jones.

#782 AleisterBenway

AleisterBenway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

Why is everyone being such a cunt towards that russian dude? hes just asking questions and yall are being a bunch of pompous motherfuckers. Wish i could help but im just a humble fan, not much insider info on my behalf. Anyway big respect for russia. Really only familiar with it in terms of literature and vodka. but Dostoevsky, Gogol, and Tolstoy are some of my heros...and im sure DOOM is a fan too being a "bookhead" and all...
  • Yvon likes this

#783 AleisterBenway

AleisterBenway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

As for the hold up regarding the new Madvillain and other projects...just wait and quit talking about it. DOOM knows what hes doing. Isnt it pretty obvious by now that hes just fucking with everybody? hes creating mystique...its all part of the persona.

#784 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:18 AM

Who was being a cunt towards Russian dude? Geez

he's not one to drop mixtapes/new material to build up a release.

Yeah given his status within the indie game, think he's pretty much beyond needing to do anything like this. He's stated it many times before, he's making music to get paid pretty much lol.

#785 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

he's making music to get paid pretty much lol.

How can he go from criticizing the rap game due to money to only making art for money?

#786 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

How can he go from criticizing the rap game due to money to only making art for money?

DOOM has at least never sacrificed the quality or the content of his product to make more cheddar, thus never selling out. Unless you find reissues distasteful (I'll admit "MF DOOM presents... Unexpected Guests" and "Expektoration" were pretty embarrassing)

But yeah there's been a strange dynamic with both DOOM and Madlib in the past few years, both of whom seem to actively avoid and ignore their fan bases and have found formulas for making money without releasing new music (DOOM obviously a bigger culprit, but I think Madlib releases less music than he theoretically could too). It's like they both got to the top of the game and said ehh, I'd rather just chill and do my thing. Hardest part is that they're both scions of modern art and don't seem to understand their responsibility to the advancement of our culture! Heavy is the head that wears the crown though...

#787 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

I am playing devils advocate

#788 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:03 AM

he ain't making mixtapes and may not have put out a full length record for 18 years but still...

^ this seems a bit more accurate to me.

#789 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:32 AM

DOOM has at least never sacrificed the quality or the content of his product to make more cheddar, thus never selling out. Unless you find reissues distasteful (I'll admit "MF DOOM presents... Unexpected Guests" and "Expektoration" were pretty embarrassing)

But yeah there's been a strange dynamic with both DOOM and Madlib in the past few years, both of whom seem to actively avoid and ignore their fan bases and have found formulas for making money without releasing new music (DOOM obviously a bigger culprit, but I think Madlib releases less music than he theoretically could too). It's like they both got to the top of the game and said ehh, I'd rather just chill and do my thing. Hardest part is that they're both scions of modern art and don't seem to understand their responsibility to the advancement of our culture! Heavy is the head that wears the crown though...

I kind of like the analysis in your post. I try to sit on the fence with most issues such as this.

#790 WaldoH

WaldoH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

As for the hold up regarding the new Madvillain and other projects...just wait and quit talking about it. DOOM knows what hes doing. Isnt it pretty obvious by now that hes just fucking with everybody? hes creating mystique...its all part of the persona.

Iv posted a similar explanation, and to a point I still kind of agree. Another answer to the question of why key collaborators are saying they're wait on DOOM could be found in his quality of work. DOOM doesn't put out lackluster releases. The quality of his work is appreciated and given him high acclaim. Anyone that works in a field that requires creativity knows that inspiration moves you. If you have creative ambition for a project, it is fun, easy, and the quality is high. If you don't the project is boring, hard and has sloppy quality. DOOM might have these albums you so desperately want complete multiple times but in poor quality or half finished. JJ's beats probably inspired him to think outside the box, they invoked passion, and resulted in a level of quality that came easy to DOOM. That's just my opinion.

#791 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

Dunno, but he's pretty much found the way to I guess lol

#792 Shadeprint

Shadeprint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://www.soundcloud.com/shadeprint

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:42 PM

DOOM's an artist and a hustler, simple as that. When it comes to making money, he'll attach his name to a product, re-release stuff as special editions, or even fake a couple shows. But so far, he's proven he won't sell out, I like to think he has more merit than that, but people are unpredictable...

#793 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

New track just dropped from Nehruvian DOOM project (no Special Herb):

• SwampThing and GC90 like this

#794 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

what is this shit, a father & son act?
  • James Frank. likes this

#795 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

not bad but the horns are cheesy

#796 Just

Just

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:music

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:53 PM

They stole the idee of using this interview in a beat ;)
  • Grifty-Rodriguez and MWBOOGIE like this

#797 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:56 AM

DOOM has several vocal features on the album but they're all interview excerpts instead of verses.

#798 MattCoops

MattCoops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/mattcoopshiphop

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

New track just dropped from Nehruvian DOOM project (no Special Herb):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6c-2IzGrVw

I love DOOM production. But it seems like he kind of played it safe on this one. Sounding a little generic.

#799 4444

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

^Ummm, that track is from 2012 and it's produced by Skipless, not DOOM...

http://bishopnehru.b...via-the-mixtape

#800 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:09 PM

^Ummm, that track is from 2012 and it's produced by Skipless, not DOOM...

someone got it wrong

#801 AleisterBenway

AleisterBenway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

DOOM speaks about Bishop Nehru and their upcoming project. I dont know much about Nehru, but what an amazing experience it must be to work with such a legend at such a young age. I wonder what DOOM sees in him. Why did he pick Nehru? I bet he gets offers all the fucking time...why choose some young ass nobody?

#802 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

Maybe Bishop reminds him of when he was Zev. Remember DOOM got his shine from Search at, what, around 18? Goes in cycles

#803 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

Was thinking he had a better chance if he was from London, but have read he's from NY now so I guess just very lucky. Wonder how he got DOOM his stuff. The way DOOM talks about him in the vid has me excited about the project.

#804 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

He has a rich uncle.
  • James Frank. likes this

#805 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

http://shop.lexrecor..._-_butter_vinyl

Bookhead pic 12" back in stock with free shipping worldwide, missed out on this the first time around because shipping was too much to USA. Only like $20 shipped now which isn't too bad.

#806 Samir_

Samir_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:44 AM

https://www.facebook...&type=1

#807 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

I wonder what DOOM sees in him. Why did he pick Nehru instead of me? I bet he gets offers all the fucking time...why choose some young ass nobody like me?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

i know that feel.

#808 AleisterBenway

AleisterBenway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

yo whats with the "rich uncle" comment. im outta the loop, my friend. just trying to connect the dots...fill me in please. hahah, and no jealousy in my post at all. not a rapper of any kind, son.
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

#809 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:28 AM

^ It means that dude probably just has some kind of connection to DOOM that isn't related to him being ber talented.

#810 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

"spittin all out the sun roof through her missing tooth"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users