1154 replies to this topic

#751 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

Yeah, thats the way that most things go. Its all a business. Not going to hate. Its just sad to find out that life ends that way. So hard to play artist and salesman. You have to be pretty schizophrenic to do both accurately.

On the artwork-very interesting. I guess it was done by the resident artist. The villain looks like a dead ringer for characters scrawled by a certain foreign street artist.

#752 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Nature sounds are also hocking $100 metal face rings...custom made by the Villain himself. Limited to 50.

Damn! between the cassette and the ring dude just financed another 6 months of pushing off projects!

#753 rokwell

rokwell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

Man honestly Like everyone else I am a fan of the dude. I pretty much have every record and reissue. This re-issue stuff is gettin out of hand. Madvillain 2 is Done. Im sure Madlib wants that out as well, we all want it.

I have my Technics M222 double tape recorder ready to go and Ima make my own Tape with the extras, Instrumentals and B-sides straight from the vinyls. 5 bucks a tape who want one.

#754 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

Was just listening to Alex (Stolen Script) by Ghostface for the first time in aaages. It's a great track but I shouldn't listen to it, as it just makes me all the more keen for Swift & Changeable.

I feel it odd that DOOM had plenty time to forge 50 or more rings (alongside his pyramids and tetrahedrons) but the only album we have had in 5 years has been the JJ DOOM record...which I loved by the way.

I had hoped that his forced London residency would prove to be decisive in forging a more productive period, but it doesn't seem to have been that way so far. He could announce release dates for various projects tomorrow and prove me wrong, however. I know there was talk of a '2012 End of the World' album, helmed by a 90s NY Hitmaker at one stage but no further mention since.

He can be a frustrating cat to support but in the end the music speaks for itself and it's worth the wait. I just wish the top two projects never had this Detox / Half-Life 3 aura surrounding them now.

Wonder what the truth is with S&C at this stage? We know from Madlib that around 12 or 13 tracks are complete for MV2. MV1 had DOOM rhyming on 15 tracks with the rest being made up of intros/skits/instrumentals so completing that one shouldn't be too much to ask within a reasonable time period. No such info with S&C though :( Such great potential though.

Dunno what the point of this post was. Just wanted to sound off I guess.
  • Cheel likes this

#755 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

The only songs that have been actually made for S&C are the couple we already heard. This project is done. Nothing more coming from that collab, regardless of what Nature Sounds wants us to think...

#756 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

Not so certain myself. Think it's just a case of DOOM being a bit lazy. It's clear he likes cashing in, and a collab with Ghost, while nowhere near a mainstream artist, will provide additional sales due to his exposure and the Wu fans. It is one of the most anticipated hip hop albums...Especially now it has achieved an underground version of Detox status. I think it will come. The awkward question being how long? :( You could be right tho, who really knows for sure beside those involved (and maybe not ever all of them, lol)

#757 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

nature sound has always been the worst label. i wouldn't go by anything they say. the only doom records they've done are the worst, scraping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel type live albums, and re-release instrumentals. i'm also disappointed in the doomstarks serato record - came out sounding crappy, looking crappy, and the plastic case fell apart in the mail. junk.

#758 heile

heile

Rookie

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

Bishop talks about the upcoming collab album with DOOM, "NehruvianDOOM" here:

http://blogs.village...hru_mf_doom.php

Who wants to take bets on all the beats being old Special Herbs stuff? Regardless, I'm still looking forward to this project.

#759 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

Bishop talks about the upcoming collab album with DOOM, "NehruvianDOOM" here:

http://blogs.village...hru_mf_doom.php

Who wants to take bets on all the beats being old Special Herbs stuff? Regardless, I'm still looking forward to this project.

Well since Nehru has explicitly stated on numerous occasions that these will be new beats, I'd be pissed. Though i wouldn't exactly be surprised if you understand. Good to know that the Villain has at least a couple vocal features on it in the mean time.

Regarding the ghost album, it's always baffled me that DOOM has forgone the two albums that would make him the most money. In what world does JJ DOOM make more money than doomstarks? Again, I fuckin' love that album, but still...so bizarre. And not only that but you'd think creatively he'd be itching to do it. It always makes me think there's some X factor we don't know about, like they both hate Nature Sounds but are locked into something with them, or they really don't enjoy each other that much despite all the previous collabs and the "yeah, that's my brother" talk. I too have kind of given up hope for this one. There's probably a song, maybe, that we haven't heard, or if you believe Ghostface there's like a dozen half-completed songs with just Ghost on them. But MV I still foolishly hold out for. I think Madlib has finally been giving it to us honestly lately: They've got like 10 tracks recorded, they want to record like twice that number, but DOOM has been slacking for years on it. They hardly ever chill, and there's clearly no contract deadline with ST, so it just slides down their schedule. Madlib seems like he's finally getting annoyed about it though, I've begun to hold out hope that he's gonna bring the hammer down on DOOM. I guess this could just be the exact problem that doomstarks has, in accordance with Occam's Razor

Haha and I think the Op:DD cassette has gotten the most backlash I've ever seen on a Rappcats comment section (not that there aren't supporters too)

#760 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

My hope is that the reason he's holding back the projects is he is being a perfectionist while attempting to set up another 03/04 run, with those two albums, the Williams street album, 2012 album and Essential Elements. Very much doubt it though.

Oh, and if S&C does come out, I would prefer the group name to be G.F. DOOM rather than DOOM/Starks. Just my two cents, lol

#761 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

^ I used to think that way...but it's a dangerous game! Now that tape nostalgia is a real thing, we might sooner see tape reissues of MM..FOOD, King Geedorah and Vik Vaughn (VV on tape hmmm...wait I'm getting sucked into their trap!) than another boom era. Are we really thinking there's even one track laid down for that long-rumored Williams Street followup? I don't think so. Wasn't that the one that was gonna be the Geedorah sequel?

Though I must admit I sometimes do give old metal face the benefit of the doubt on having a master plan. Possibly more than he deserves.

#762 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

I mean hasn't he said on numerous occasions that he's just trying to make money/support his family? All these re-releases are probably making him more money with less effort than sitting down and doing a billion albums like he did a decade ago.

#763 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

Stop, Stop. Sorry bad english me...
We write articles about DOOM.
Translated many of his interviews.

We are looking interesting Facts about DOOM.

In Russia's hard to keep track MF DOOM. (NO KGB)
help me tell the most interesting facts DOOM.

We don't like Russia... I Love London, Japan, Paris.
I don't agent KGB, I don't Snowden, I don't Ernesto Guevara
I Like MF DOOM.

here's an interesting fact about MF DOOM: did you know that his favorite color is chartreuse? and did you know that his favorite food is spaghetti, and that he thinks comic-books are "just okay"? also, i distinctly remember reading in an interview somewhere that in fact, his favorite ladies are dominatrices, and that he was sadly not nominated for the "Best Rolled L's" this year or the year before...

#764 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

Did people on this board like "Born Like This"? What was the consensus. I wasn't around back when that came out.

#765 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

ranging from mixed to positive at first. Hopefully everyone has come around by now though, and sees it as the masterpiece it is.

#766 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:05 AM

Yeah, I was originally kinda meh on first listen with Born Like This but after awhile it became another DOOM classic to me. I'm hoping it will get a vinyl repress at some point (I know I know, but I don't want to pay $80 for an OG copy!!)

#767 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

It was the only DOOM related release that I genuinely felt disappointed with. It was only late last year that my opinion of it changed & I found a new appreciation of the record.

While I don't think its an amazing album, it's a great listen and very enjoyable. A couple classic tracks on there also.

#768 MFDOOMRUSSIAN

MFDOOMRUSSIAN

Rookie

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:42 AM

here's an interesting fact about MF DOOM: did you know that his favorite color is chartreuse? and did you know that his favorite food is spaghetti, and that he thinks comic-books are "just okay"? also, i distinctly remember reading in an interview somewhere that in fact, his favorite ladies are dominatrices, and that he was sadly not nominated for the "Best Rolled L's" this year or the year before...

not original, cliche...
I asked seriously to you.
for example, what the project - "DOOMPOSTERS"? who are Dark Monk, Mobonix?

Project new album KMD?
And interesting facts of life.

The one negative take you.

#769 4444

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:16 AM

Born Like This does have its moments with tracks like Gazzillion Ear, Absolutely, Batty Boyz and Cellz.

I think the main criticism it got was the reuse of beats (Herbs, Jake One's Ballskin, and of course Lightworks wasn't 'new') and even complete tracks (Raekwon track was from his Vatican mixtape and, then supposedly unfinished, Angelz was on a compilation without drums).

The album was released in middle of the DOOMposter chaos in 2009, previous album being The Mouse & The Mask in 2005, so you can imagine the disappointment after 3-4 years and the quality previous releases held.

Taking the album as it is, I'm just annoyed how unnecessary loud the vocals are on many of the tracks. Microwave Mayo being the extreme example. Also I find it funny how Kurious promotes his new album on Supervillainz.

#770 MFDOOMRUSSIAN

MFDOOMRUSSIAN

Rookie

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:55 AM

Thank you very much.

The album was released in middle of the DOOMposter chaos in 2009, previous album being The Mouse & The Mask in 2005, so you can imagine the disappointment after 3-4 years and the quality previous releases held.

In Russian don't know about - DOOMposters.

DOOMPOSTERS = METAL FACE AKADEMY ?

There is information that did DOOM in 2005-2008 ?

#771 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

The DOOMposter was mainly DJ Wesu but also other individuals too. Metal Face Akademy was a group of MCs that DOOM wanted to develop as part of his relaunched Metal Face Records.

Once he came to the UK, the Akademy and Metal Face Records was disbanded as DOOM was unable to fulfil his requirements on the business end.

There has been only one incident of a DOOMposter while he has been in UK. This was a DJ set in London & it is unknown who this individual was. DOOM has failed to show up at a few booked live shows though.

Hope this info helps and you understand what is written.

#772 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

@SwampThing @GC90 @mrvaughn @4444

Thanks, these are all interesting responses

#773 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

There have been more DOOMposters in London. The most recent DJ set he did where everyone thought it actually was him was actually another LEX artist, but I've already said too much...

#774 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

Metal Face Records is alive and well! we have them to thank for the flood of Op:DD reissues, including this new cassette one. Although I guess the idea of Metal Face Records having the longevity to actually put out OTHER artists has long died.
  • mrvaughn likes this

#775 MFDOOMRUSSIAN

MFDOOMRUSSIAN

Rookie

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:10 AM

Once he came to the UK, the Akademy and Metal Face Records was disbanded as DOOM was unable to fulfil his requirements on the business end.

Your information will be posted to the article about MF DOOM, in Russia.

Thank you very much. I understand. I'm waiting for a miracle Metal Face Akademy...
We know about Dj Wesu and Doomposters.

I am very grateful for the help.
Tell me something interesting about MF DOOM ?
Please.

Why DOOM legend ?

#776 Jubito

Jubito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:40 & A BLUNT, light1up, light the doobie 'till it glow like a ruby
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jubitoo

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:09 AM

Did people on this board like "Born Like This"?

Absolutely.

If you know what I mean.
  • GC90 likes this

#777 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

Don't know if anybody cares anymore haha but the "Butter Edition" bonus material, now aka the "Bookhead EP" finally appears to be trickling in on wax. Lex announced it two days ago, by the time I saw yesterday it appears to have sold out (temporarily or otherwise) from the Lex shop, but it will be appearing at other retailers soon presumably. I actually like the design, which kind of shits on that unbelievably boring Victory Laps picture disc. The white border is fairly classy. I've been waiting to cop all the JJ DOOM LPs when this came out, but I may just grab this thing because there are some extremely dope tracks on it...

Posted Image
Posted ImagegPosted Image
  • GC90 likes this

#778 MattCoops

MattCoops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/mattcoopshiphop

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Ah, nah, no. Although they look nice, I vote to boycott all these reissues of DOOM stuff until he properly puts out new music.
Just give us the sequel to Madvillain and the dude never needs to put out anything new again. And can sit back and think of new ways to re-release his back catalog.

#779 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:49 AM

Ah, nah, no. Although they look nice, I vote to boycott all these reissues of DOOM stuff until he properly puts out new music.
Just give us the sequel to Madvillain and the dude never needs to put out anything new again. And can sit back and think of new ways to re-release his back catalog.

Have fun waiting...

#780 SciFly

SciFly

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

I don't think DOOM is that methodical. People think he's "holding back" material but I think it's simple, if he gets paid to do a project he does it. Otherwise it's a no-go, he's not one to drop mixtapes/new material to build up a release.

In that one interview from Madrid they asked him about his prolific period from early 2000s. A lot of times people think being prolific is about being inspired or some spiritual shit. But, DOOM said that he was getting offers from all over the place to release projects so he was taking the money and releasing material. Simple.

My guess is that he's just not getting offers (many offers) to release new material. I don't have any idea how much JJ DOOM sold but it can't be much. And I wonder if theres more money to be made off of "collectables" - that would explain all the picture discs/cassettes, limited editions, etc.

That's my 2cents, I really don't know shit, LOL. For all I know mrvaughn is on point and we could get another run of releases.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users