1101 replies to this topic

#421 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

what's always baffled me is that both DOOM and Mad are both fairly money-conscious dudes, and this still album still doesn't happen. Not that they're obsessed with money, but they know how to/are concerned with making dough. Just watching a couple interviews with either of them will illustrate this. DOOM's endless re-releases, the questionable legality of the even-numbered MMS releases, etc.... Sure Madlib and DOOM would "still be making music if they weren't being paid," as both have said before, but i'll bet in the end both would figure out a way to turn a profit off of that music.

The highest profile either of them ever had was thanks to Madvillain, if i'm not dreaming. I don't know if they made bank off it or not, but I'd assume they both made a bit of money. So why, in god's name, would they handle their sophomore album this way? I mean, let's get serious here guys it's been almost TEN YEARS since Madvillainy came out. Are they that lazy/faded/reclusive? Maybe DOOM had a one-and-done attitude ala DangerDoom? Maybe they're intimidated by the first release? I mean, Mad has obviously been a little more productive than DOOM in the past 9 years in terms of sheer album output (and I'm not one to weigh the MMS agains MV), but it just seems amazing that neither of these two guys are jumping at the chance to revive their most widely publicized project. I know they're dealing with their lives, children and deportation, and I appreciate that they aren't pushing out some shit, but what's the deal from their perspective?
  • mrvaughn likes this

#422 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

what's always baffled me is that both DOOM and Mad are both fairly money-conscious dudes, and this still album still doesn't happen. Not that they're obsessed with money, but they know how to/are concerned with making dough. Just watching a couple interviews with either of them will illustrate this. DOOM's endless re-releases, the questionable legality of the even-numbered MMS releases, etc.... Sure Madlib and DOOM would "still be making music if they weren't being paid," as both have said before, but i'll bet in the end both would figure out a way to turn a profit off of that music.

The highest profile either of them ever had was thanks to Madvillain, if i'm not dreaming. I don't know if they made bank off it or not, but I'd assume they both made a bit of money. So why, in god's name, would they handle their sophomore album this way? I mean, let's get serious here guys it's been almost TEN YEARS since Madvillainy came out. Are they that lazy/faded/reclusive? Maybe DOOM had a one-and-done attitude ala DangerDoom? Maybe they're intimidated by the first release? I mean, Mad has obviously been a little more productive than DOOM in the past 9 years in terms of sheer album output (and I'm not one to weigh the MMS agains MV), but it just seems amazing that neither of these two guys are jumping at the chance to revive their most widely publicized project. I know they're dealing with their lives, children and deportation, and I appreciate that they aren't pushing out some shit, but what's the deal from their perspective?

^ This

#423 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

At this point I'd feel better knowing that its not happening than the possibility that it is.
  • oz_tinado likes this

#424 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Insert Madlib face palm photo here.

#425 Liv

Liv

the mean mugging scapegoat

• Members
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

dealing with their lives, children and deportation

Posted Image
  • DJ Primate, ynqhead, D'MosPhree and 3 others like this

#426 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

#427 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

Hell no! Disrespecting the JJ.

#428 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

For the late night UK heads...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b01qtckh

#429 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

Anyone know if this is available on vinyl at all? Been checking a few places but to no avail. Not by the looks of discogs but they dont always have everything:

#430 Sparkdala

Sparkdala

Rookie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:26 AM

Anyone know if this is available on vinyl at all? Been checking a few places but to no avail. Not by the looks of discogs but they dont always have everything

Discogs: Danger Mouse - From Man To Mouse Vinyl

http://www.discogs.c...release/1148194

#431 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

Discogs: Danger Mouse - From Man To Mouse Vinyl

http://www.discogs.c...release/1148194

Thank you :D

#432 J-Syxx

J-Syxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

Does anyone know if Megalon/Tommy Gunn is still in jail? I'm also wondering if MIC's 1st and 3rd album actually leaked.

#433 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

What do people think about the first 25 seconds to this track?

#434 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

every time I see this thread bumped I think it's about DOOM the video game

carry on

#435 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

What do people think about the first 25 seconds to this track?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQDfcVl_49w

Kinda reminds me of the smoke monster from Lost

#436 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

Skip to 1:12 of this beat, it uses the exact same drums as that intro, I found that interesting.

#437 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:43 AM

Does anyone know if Megalon/Tommy Gunn is still in jail?

http://www.ugrap.de/...view.php?id=202

#438 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

The ST events page has Madvillain billed at a place called 100 Club in London for April 18th. I'm wondering if this will actually pan out.

#439 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:16 AM

Now it says 'Doom & Ghostface' as the date and for some reason it's highlighted in black...what's going on?

#440 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:58 AM

Now it says 'Doom & Ghostface' as the date and for some reason it's highlighted in black...what's going on?

It was like that when I posted. I did a google search to get the date.

#441 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

Far as I know it was always just DOOM and Starks. Even cool-ass record labels make mistakes on their websites from time to time it seems...

http://play.converse...3/03/get-dirty/

#442 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:37 AM

http://www.theagency...x?ArtistID=5118

Never saw this interview before but it looks like it was some time ago. Not sure if many people could have seen it as there are facts revealed that I haven't seen mentioned before, such as:

1. Subroc having a daughter, and DOOM having a son back in the KMD days.

2. DOOM started making Doomsday shortly after Black Bastards was shelved, and that it took him all that time to complete it fully.

3. DOOM has a sister.

#443 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

http://www.theagency...x?ArtistID=5118

Wow, c'mon.

If you're gonna have an interview on your website post the date it was conducted. That's very important.

Taking about whoever owns that website.

#444 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

from the context it seems like sometime in 2003/2004. The weird thing is they talk about MM..FOOD but not Madvillainy, so maybe its from after FOOD was announced but before Madvillainy was? is that even possible? And he alludes to Vik's frustration with Venomous Villain but doesn't discuss it, so post-VV1, pre-VV2?

The interviewer seems to not fully get the Villain persona/s.

#445 Yvon

Yvon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

I believe this interview is an unpublished transcript from the Wire (no longer available online on their website) and that it was the source for the article entitled "Mask of Sorrow", March 2005.

#446 JJ

JJ

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

from the context it seems like sometime in 2003/2004. The weird thing is they talk about MM..FOOD but not Madvillainy, so maybe its from after FOOD was announced but before Madvillainy was? is that even possible? And he alludes to Vik's frustration with Venomous Villain but doesn't discuss it, so post-VV1, pre-VV2?

The interviewer seems to not fully get the Villain persona/s.

mm food hadn't been "announced" in 03 but he was working on it then. then like now, he's always had several projects going at once, even when one or the other is not making progress for long periods of time. some of the tracks on mm food date back a few years before the release. there's even an album cover that was made around 2003. (it wasn't too good.)

#447 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

there's even an album cover that was made around 2003. (it wasn't too good.)

Let us be the judge of that JJ...Can't just tease us with this ;) Post it up if you have it. I'm sure we'd all love to see it regardless of its quality!

#448 Samir_

Samir_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

http://mg.co.za/arti...just-experiment
"Coming soon"

#449 rupert pupkin

rupert pupkin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:30 AM

http://mg.co.za/arti...just-experiment
"Coming soon"

i really hope so. i'd love to see them do a full live performance together. their rendition of Rhinestone Cowboy is one of (if not) my favorite rap performance i have ever watched
Madvillainy sounds taylor-made for a cocktail jazz combination like RGE

#450 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

i really hope so. i'd love to see them do a full live performance together. their rendition of Rhinestone Cowboy is one of (if not) my favorite rap performance i have ever watched

Same here. Best MV 'remix' since Four Tet's Great Day Remix IMO. Would love a collab album from these two :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users