1101 replies to this topic

#361 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

^^^ Similar to the BLT & DangerDoom ones in that it is a large representation of the mask, only this time it is chrome and pops out of the surrounding card with holes for string.

This shit is always pointless to me...but then I guess it would as I have a metal replica one, lol

#362 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

The package presentation is excellent.

:blink: :lol:

#363 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

Said it before and will say it again....This album is NICE. Wasn't sure at first but have listened to it repeatedly and i'd say it's defo a worthy addition to the DOOM catalogue.

Anyway...the real reason for this post is; Anyone else hoping that DOOM and Lib announce the release of new LP at their joint show in London a week tomorrow? If its as close to finshed as they say it is (again!) maybe, just maybe, this will be the time.

Heres hoping :)

#364 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:46 AM

Anyway...the real reason for this post is; Anyone else hoping that DOOM and Lib announce the release of new LP at their joint show in London a week tomorrow? If its as close to finshed as they say it is (again!) maybe, just maybe, this will be the time.

Heres hoping :)

I wouldn't count on that happening at all.

#365 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:53 AM

I wouldn't count on that happening at all.

I wont count on it, but a dude can hope. Seems like it's a good possibility if they are stating that it could be out before years end. I'm aware that this type of statement has been made by DOOM before but who knows, eh? I want a Madvillain themed christmas ;)

#366 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

OK, so this is gonna be a bit OT but I can't get a search on the forum. Anyone remember (have) the Madvillain 1.5 Bootleg by DJ Phonetic. Could someone PM me it please? Thanks DOOMaphiles ^_^

#367 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

OK, so this is gonna be a bit OT but I can't get a search on the forum. Anyone remember (have) the Madvillain 1.5 Bootleg by DJ Phonetic. Could someone PM me it please? Thanks DOOMaphiles ^_^

i googled it and some stuff came up...can you expound on what exactly is on this joint?

geech

#368 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

i googled it and some stuff came up...can you expound on what exactly is on this joint?

geech

Yeah it's from the same guy done Def Vs DOOM. Basically a mash up bootleg I used to have and was pretty dope from what i remember. Realised I don't have it any more :(

#369 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

Dunno if any of y'all are interested, but this week Lex are selling t-shirts cheaper with free shipping:

http://lexrecordsltd...9C291422E3DE149
  • SwampThing likes this

#370 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:56 AM

Key to the Kuffs is a pretty well-rounded record. The myriad DOOM flows throughout his history as a recording artist make it almost impossible to know what to expect from him vocally but I like what he did on this album; its grown on me a lot.

This said, I could do without 'Still Kaps' and,

I wish 'Retarded Fren' was 5 minutes longer - - absolutely amazing track!

#371 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

This said, I could do without 'Still Kaps' and,

Not at all. That's one of the highlights of the album for me.

#372 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

Not at all. That's one of the highlights of the album for me.

Just wish there was a DOOM verse on it. I begged JJ to convince DOOM to get his finger out and add it as a remix to any Guv'nor/Winter Blues single that gets released.

On another note...Anyone get that JUKE Magazine with DOOM on the cover?? Is it worth a read?

#373 TIGERSQUASH

TIGERSQUASH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/tigersquash

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

but guys how sick was the Guv'nor vid? trippy as hell

#374 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

Borin Convo is a masterpeice.

#375 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Just wish there was a DOOM verse on it. I begged JJ to convince DOOM to get his finger out and add it as a remix to any Guv'nor/Winter Blues single that gets released.

On another note...Anyone get that JUKE Magazine with DOOM on the cover?? Is it worth a read?

I like the remix idea. In regards to the JUKE mag cover, I don't know anything about it...i'm still mad I didn't receive Frank 151's DOOM book that was packaged with purchase of Key To The Kuffs months back - - ST said they had limited copies, therefore issuing it on a first-come first-serve basis. I waited too long to order the cd.

#376 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

This version of "Winter Blues" sounds so much better than the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THIONHxX2cM&feature=related

This shit is REALLY REALLY dope!

DOOM in an MTV Unplugged type of setting would be amazing

#377 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

A while back I asked on here what the skits like 'Snatch That Dough' are saying about the theme of the album. I must admit I didn't get it (although loved the rest of the album). This snippet of a review has really cleared it up for me:

"A lot of the samples too seem to be paying respect to his current country of residence; there are many English voice samples and where there are American samples, they are often portraying an idiotic side of the US. There is a cool sample at the end of the album about how the word ‘muppet’ is British for ‘a stupid, ignorant person’, which comes directly after a sample of an NRA member discussing when to use your gun…"

Dunno how I didn't see this British Stereotype Vs American Stereotype angle before but there ya go, lol :)

#378 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:48 AM

• Jurmainson likes this

#379 TIGERSQUASH

TIGERSQUASH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/tigersquash

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

A while back I asked on here what the skits like 'Snatch That Dough' are saying about the theme of the album. I must admit I didn't get it (although loved the rest of the album). This snippet of a review has really cleared it up for me:

"A lot of the samples too seem to be paying respect to his current country of residence; there are many English voice samples and where there are American samples, they are often portraying an idiotic side of the US. There is a cool sample at the end of the album about how the word ‘muppet’ is British for ‘a stupid, ignorant person’, which comes directly after a sample of an NRA member discussing when to use your gun…"

Dunno how I didn't see this British Stereotype Vs American Stereotype angle before but there ya go, lol :)

I'm defs gonna have to listen to the album again for this!

#380 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

I'm defs gonna have to listen to the album again for this!

Another thing that I am perhaps missing when listening, is where the little 'Antiseptic' illustration from the album cover is referenced. Obviously I recognise all the other illustrations from either the name of a track or a line from a verse, but I have never heard the line where the 'Antiseptic' is mentioned. Maybe from a cut verse perhaps??

What is the illustration anyway, a bowl of antiseptic? Looks strange with the two little blobs in the middle.

#381 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

^^ Well wash my balls in Dettol, or leap 30,000 feet on a free fall

#382 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Awesomeness :lol:

So those little blobs are his balls? So funny...DOOM cracks me up. Thanks Swampy

#383 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:55 AM

What I don't get tho is why Rhymin' Slang is called that, when there doesn't appear to be any 'actual' cockney rhyming slang in the song itself. Sure it all rhymes...it's a rap song...but i'd think there would have been some genuine slang on there to justify the name. Still a dope as hell song anyway, lol

#384 mngse

mngse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

Wash your hands is my new fav track- dat beat is so illy

#385 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

Love that line.

#386 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

What I don't get tho is why Rhymin' Slang is called that, when there doesn't appear to be any 'actual' cockney rhyming slang in the song itself. Sure it all rhymes...it's a rap song...but i'd think there would have been some genuine slang on there to justify the name. Still a dope as hell song anyway, lol

Vid for JJ's remix of Rhymin' Slang looks like a whole lot of out-takes from Guv'nor on acid... Not sure I'm diggin' it.

http://www.complex.c...g-jj-tron-remix

#387 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

Been good to see Key to the Kuffs making it onto a lot of 'Best of 2012' lists both online and in print. It has appeared in a lot of top 50, top 20 and top 10 lists...even made it to number one on one website.

I'm glad as i don't think the album was given much attention outside perhaps this forum. In my opinion it was a great album that, like most of DOOM's records, took a litle bit of time for it to 'click'...but once it did it stuck. Must have listened to this around 60 times since August, although I am biased being a huge DOOM fan.

#388 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

I'm glad as i don't think the album was given much attention outside perhaps this forum. In my opinion it was a great album that, like most of DOOM's records, took a litle bit of time for it to 'click'...but once it did it stuck. Must have listened to this around 60 times since August, although I am biased being a huge DOOM fan.

Yeah it is a shame this is so slept on. Quite a few people I know who are huge DOOM fans had/still have no idea about it. And I have to agree that it is a really great album; it captured the idea of a collaboration very well a la Madvillain in the sense that each artist gets his shine throughout the record. This is my first experience with JJ but his beats are fucking awesome. Some of my favorite tracks don't even have DOOM on 'em like STILL KAPS and that crazy instrumental near the end.

#389 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

I was listening to one of JJ's old mixtapes from 2008, turns out the beat that would be used for "Gun'vor" is on this tape, not surprising since JJ said he sent him a bunch of his beats.

#390 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

Some of my favorite tracks don't even have DOOM on 'em like STILL KAPS and that crazy instrumental near the end.

Yeah I like every track now. STILL KAPS is great...I've got 8 speakers in my car and it seems to bump best through them. So heavy. Would still have loved a DOOM verse on there tho :unsure:

Hoping there will be one on any remix. Wishful thinking perhaps, but if they were to do a Guv'nor single 12" it could be the B Side :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users