1149 replies to this topic

#301 Pattch82

Pattch82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:46 AM

At least we can widdle it down to a list of potentials based on that we know they're not Premo but are a NY producer with 90s "hits". So who could that possibly be:

Pete Rock
Puffy
Erick Sermon
Buckwild
RZA
Prince Paul

...who else fits the description?

I doubt it'll be RZA, he's too busy with his acting / directing career at the min. He very rarely finds time to lace Wu-Tang members with beats these days never mind outside MC's.

Other NY beat makers I can think of...

Large Professor
Q-Tip
Havoc
L.E.S.
Diamond D

Cheers!

#302 other-wise

other-wise

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:26 AM

Anyone else hear BBC Radio 1 Saturday night? Had several JJ DOOM remixes by JJ. Pretty hot, the BBC Radio 1 website (Rob da Bank) still has it up. Pretty dope. Not sure if I can post the link or not.

#303 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:37 AM

Large Professor
Q-Tip
Havoc
L.E.S.
Diamond D

Before we just start listing out every producer who ever came out of NY remember that DOOM said that the beatsmith was a 'hit-maker from the 90's'. L.E.S. never had any hits (Life's A Bitch does not count). Diamond is one of my favorite producers but I'll be the first to admit that Stunts, Blunts & Hip-Hop didn't generate any real 'hits'.

The two producers I'm leaning towards are Extra P and Pete Rock. Both had a large amount of hits during their respective reigns. I see a Pete Rock collab as the most likely seeing that he has spent the last decade of his career collaborating with an artist or group for one album releases.

A NY producer who wasn't much of a hit maker but did make quite a bit of noise in the 90's that I would give a kidney to hear do a whole album with The Villain would be Minnesota.

#304 Samir_

Samir_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

This get posted yet? JJ remixes JJ DOOM. Sounds pretty dope: http://www.dazeddigi...ive-jj-doom-mix

#305 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

doom x timbaland

#306 NickleBanks

NickleBanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

that'd be interesting but sticking to the story, I don't think Timbaland fits the description, not being from NY or the 90's per say.

for me the interesting question is what does DOOM consider "hits"? he's obviously a man of classics and not one to be update on anything "new", and by extension I can't help but assume he keeps a safe distance from the mainstreams throughout the years. all to say that I take "hits" to mean big songs within hip hop, and that era.

So, Puffy is an easy one to consider having "hits", but his best work (arguably) brought an end to the early 90's, which, in my opinion is what DOOM was thinking but not saying. That said, the fact that this team up, DOOM and COMBS (DOOMBS?), would be so counter intuitive makes me kind of believe it.... but no, cant' be.

Pete Rock too, has "hits" inside the golden circle of the 90's. And as it's already been said, PR has a history of similar collaborations. Definitely agree that it could be Pete Rock ... would be dope on principal but for my money, not the most exciting team up nor "unexpected" as DOOM also said.

RZA... would be a favorite for me if anyone's taking votes, but also can't see that just 'cause they've already worked together and again, channeling DOOM's perspective (or so I would like to imagine), I put RZA along side Puff chronologically and therefore I don't think the clue would have been stated as "90s" if he was thinking of RZA... but yeah, mathematically it does still work. Vote yes, bet no.

Easy Mo Bee is super interesting. He is definitely of the early 90s (or late 80s) also, interestingly enough, worked with Puff up to a point and has plenty of "hits" inside the universe. I like this idea. Definitely unexpected. Have no idea what it might really sound like. Anyone know EMB's last production credit?

Large Pro and Diamond D both fit... just, wouldn't be surprised with either. Just saying. I would guess them 3rd and 4th behind, Pete Rock (2nd), and Erick Sermon (1st).

For me, Erick would also be a sick collaboration with DOOM. The early EPMD tracks I think would be the sort of thing DOOM would call "hits" and rightfully so, plus those productions would sound amazing with DOOM lyrics, imo. Erick's later work would also fit well. Erick's been silent since 2004...? It's all speculation but I would love to see this combo happen.

Who knows...whatever...

#307 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

New Interview from HHDX:

http://www.hiphopdx....sta-ace-jj-doom

#308 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

doom x timbaland

?

geech thinks u should

lay off the honey bee sauce

geech

#309 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

that'd be interesting but sticking to the story, I don't think Timbaland fits the description, not being from NY or the 90's per say.

for me the interesting question is what does DOOM consider "hits"? he's obviously a man of classics and not one to be update on anything "new", and by extension I can't help but assume he keeps a safe distance from the mainstreams throughout the years. all to say that I take "hits" to mean big songs within hip hop, and that era.

So, Puffy is an easy one to consider having "hits", but his best work (arguably) brought an end to the early 90's, which, in my opinion is what DOOM was thinking but not saying. That said, the fact that this team up, DOOM and COMBS (DOOMBS?), would be so counter intuitive makes me kind of believe it.... but no, cant' be.

Pete Rock too, has "hits" inside the golden circle of the 90's. And as it's already been said, PR has a history of similar collaborations. Definitely agree that it could be Pete Rock ... would be dope on principal but for my money, not the most exciting team up nor "unexpected" as DOOM also said.

RZA... would be a favorite for me if anyone's taking votes, but also can't see that just 'cause they've already worked together and again, channeling DOOM's perspective (or so I would like to imagine), I put RZA along side Puff chronologically and therefore I don't think the clue would have been stated as "90s" if he was thinking of RZA... but yeah, mathematically it does still work. Vote yes, bet no.

Easy Mo Bee is super interesting. He is definitely of the early 90s (or late 80s) also, interestingly enough, worked with Puff up to a point and has plenty of "hits" inside the universe. I like this idea. Definitely unexpected. Have no idea what it might really sound like. Anyone know EMB's last production credit?

Large Pro and Diamond D both fit... just, wouldn't be surprised with either. Just saying. I would guess them 3rd and 4th behind, Pete Rock (2nd), and Erick Sermon (1st).

For me, Erick would also be a sick collaboration with DOOM. The early EPMD tracks I think would be the sort of thing DOOM would call "hits" and rightfully so, plus those productions would sound amazing with DOOM lyrics, imo. Erick's later work would also fit well. Erick's been silent since 2004...? It's all speculation but I would love to see this combo happen.

Who knows...whatever...

if doom does an album with puff daddy count geech out

large pro is a good fit!!!!

Diamond D i can see it but like u say no suprise there!!!!

pete rock has been kinda boring of late (it happens)

RZA (uhhhhhh) naaa but.... when u think.... maybe so ya dig?

E serm... maybe.... but not super exciting

conclusion: MV2 and then all that otha shT MFkkkaaaaa!!!!!!

Geechie

#310 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

conclusion: MV2 and then all that otha shT...

Madvillainy 2 ain't ever coming out. My proof: its single never had a 45" or 7" release. Think about it, almost all of madlibs collaborations in the last year(s) have been accompanied by a physical single release EXCEPT Madvillain. But to argue against myself, JJ DOOM never got a physical single yet DOOMSTARKS got one. :/

Wonder, unpredictability, and excitement injected back into the music. Gotta love it!

#311 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

Anyone else hear BBC Radio 1 Saturday night? Had several JJ DOOM remixes by JJ. Pretty hot, the BBC Radio 1 website (Rob da Bank) still has it up. Pretty dope. Not sure if I can post the link or not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p00y49g2

#312 Pattch82

Pattch82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:46 AM

This get posted yet? JJ remixes JJ DOOM. Sounds pretty dope: http://www.dazeddigi...ive-jj-doom-mix

That was a brilliant mix!!

I've just downloaded it so I can bump it on the iPod!

Props for posting it!

Cheers!

#313 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:32 AM

I've just downloaded it so I can bump it on the iPod!

I can't see download button. Lil help? :wacko:

#314 Samir_

Samir_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

Apparently you can't download off of mixcloud because of licensing issues and whatnot. This German tutorial (with steps in English on the left side) seems to work out for people if you use Chrome. Am I allowed to post this? Don't kill me off if I'm not, thank you.

http://youtu.be/8q705jsRZ7s

#315 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

offliberty.com is all the help u need

geech
  • mrvaughn likes this

#316 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:46 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p00y49g2

I'm getting a 'Not Available in Your Area' when I try to play it. Anyone want to hook it up with an audio rip in my inbox?

#317 Samir_

Samir_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

I'm getting a 'Not Available in Your Area' when I try to play it. Anyone want to hook it up with an audio rip in my inbox?

The mixcloud link works in the USofA, it's the same mix.

Another new DOOM spot! Here's Metal Face on Benji B's show. 2 hours of DOOM music and a sick interview that I think starts around 40 some odd minutes. Listen to it all, worth it: http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b01m83mq

#318 LuvBunz

LuvBunz

the funk goes on.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  • Interests:butts + baby oil

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

Another new DOOM spot! Here's Metal Face on Benji B's show. 2 hours of DOOM music and a sick interview that I think starts around 40 some odd minutes. Listen to it all, worth it: http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b01m83mq

would love if someone could get a rip of this

#319 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

Sames. Thanks Geech for the heads up for the JJ Mix tho :D

#320 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

It's out there...

#321 Pattch82

Pattch82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:37 AM

http://mixdeluxe.net...-doom-takeover/

Cheers!
  • LuvBunz and D'MosPhree like this

#322 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

"Before the end of the year". Yeah right.

Earl and Jay Elec? Damn!

You heard the Man say it himself...

#323 mngse

mngse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

JJ doom is nice, that interview is great too. I love his sense of humour

#324 Nobodaddy

Nobodaddy

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

do we know for sure whether or not "Retarded Fren" on the JJ DOOM album was a remix of the Thom Yorke version?

or was the Thom Yorke version actually a remix?

either way the JJ version is WAY better, definitely my favorite joint on the album....

hard to tell tho whether JJ remixed the original version or if DOOM re-did the verse..... his flow just sounds a lot faster, the Thom Yorke version is lame to me, flow too damn slow

#325 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:38 AM

like this if you are over this album already

some music is good at the moment (dont have to hear it again but sounds good)
some is good for ever (you have to hear it every once in a while)
good album but geech is over it

geech!
  • gEEchieDan likes this

#326 jody84

jody84

Rookie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

do we know for sure whether or not "Retarded Fren" on the JJ DOOM album was a remix of the Thom Yorke version?

or was the Thom Yorke version actually a remix?

The original version is actually the one on the album. The label just put the remix out first to generate a buzz; much like they did w/ "Rhymin' Slang".

#327 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

Album defo gets a lot better with repeated listens :)

But I'm gonna ask this again...What is the angle of the skit "Snatch that Dough"? What part does it play in the concept of the album? I honestly can't work it out.

#328 Nobodaddy

Nobodaddy

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

The original version is actually the one on the album. The label just put the remix out first to generate a buzz; much like they did w/ "Rhymin' Slang".

thanks, well then that means I need to change what I wrote in my review: http://www.slantmaga...-the-kuffs/2849

"Jarel does an admirable job of holding up his end of the bargain, especially on his remix of "Retarded Fren," which, with its rapidly roaring cacophony of xylophone chimes, strings, nighttime jungle noises and thumping drums, is hands down the most powerful track on the album."

#329 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:52 AM

What is the angle of the skit "Snatch that Dough"? What part does it play in the concept of the album? I honestly can't work it out.

Whenever I hear it I think of the execs at Elektra when they dropped KMD. Or maybe it's the dudes at Lex. Other hip hop acts on their label or not?

Posted Image

#330 Machiventa

Machiventa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:Love, Hugs, & Hip Hop Soul

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

^ “Can I give a hint? Ugh, I would say―nah! I can’t even give a hint. New York hit-maker! ‘90s, and it’s not Primo. Try to figure it out.”

Unfortunately it's not Prince Paul http://www.hiphopsit...vediggaz-album/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users