#1 Angel

Angel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:B)

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:41 PM

I got into a little debate with some kid and he thought Donuts was overrated and a bad album. I was in completely disbelief when he stated that. Donuts is in my top five favorite albums of all time.. I mean yeah everyone has a right to their own opinion, but WTF I thought almost every hip hop fan would like this album and to hear this is like a punch in the stomach, so what are your honest opinions on this album?

#2 4FIVE

4FIVE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:55 PM

I know plenty of people that listen to hip hop and don't like donuts or any other instrumental albums. Some people just don't like listening to beats

#3 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:38 PM

I like Donuts, but I've always preferred the late 90's early 2000's Dilla. He was more chill back then.

*Random CSB: I once had an teacher named Mrs. Delaplane (sort of like dilla plane) and we used to call her Dilla Donuts. She thought we were making fun of her weight, so we got in mad trouble when she heard us. I hated that class.
  • mangoes cash and Tastik BEATS like this

#4 mixupsupreme

mixupsupreme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:44 PM

i remember the first time i heard donuts i didnt really get it and didnt bother listening to the whole thing. The second time i listened to it was on a flight i was like hmmm it has a few good tracks. then after multiple and i mean multiple times listening to it and now after listening to it recently, Donuts is like the greatest shit ever.

Donuts is a type of album that grows on you and gets better after each listen. And ya everytime someone says dilla is overrated... it kills me inside
  • SMMAlAstor, Quality and mangoes cash like this

#5 SMMAlAstor

SMMAlAstor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/alastorazure13

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:55 PM

This ^ There was a few tracks at first listen that stuck instantly while the rest was very questionable at first but after a few listens it really those grow on you to be a something golden in your musical inventory, same thing went for me with Jaylib and Beat Konducta in India

#6 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:04 AM

Donuts is amazing... true that it's nothing compared to some of those chill raw synth and spacey/soulful beats Dilla had back out in the day when he went more by Jay Dee. But peeps gotta understand that this guy made Donuts, literally while he was dying. I mean the doctor's went in to his room and told him you only have 1 month to live.... and he's just like ok, let me just make one last album then. Not many people are that dedicated to their craft, that knowing they have such a short amount of time to live and are bed ridden, it's amazing Dilla was able to pull out something like Donuts while hooked up to some machines keeping him alive and at the same time he had his MPC and turntable sitting in front of him and he was making some tracks.

Plus Donuts by far has to be at least in my top 10 if not then even top 5 of my fav albums of all time. And I listen to shitloads of music.

And I agree with Mixusupreme, the more you listen to it, the better it gets. gotta learn to appreciate the subtleties in the tracks.

And whoever says DIlla is overrated........ then those people are fucking idiots, Let's be honest, DIlla broke new grounds, No one can touch what he did or even begin to comprehend how it is he got his beats to sound the way they did. No matter how you slice it or try to dissect it, no one has come close to DIlla's sound.... that in itself, that you are able to actually create something that sounds fucking amazing and you know people are gonna be inspired by your music and try to dissect your style and maybe start making their own music..... that to me is simply and absolutely amazing. Not a lot of people can get to that point. I know DIlla inspired me to make beats, was he my only inspiration? no. but I think if it wasn't for DIlla I would not be where I am today musically. because his sound did inspire me in a lot of ways
  • Jay Optic likes this

#7 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:55 AM

dilla did not make donuts while in the hospital bed a month before he passed, pretty sure he had a ton of it in the works before he went into the hospital, most of the work there was protools clean up if i remember reading correctly, lining up recorded out tracks or whatever, but threads like this are most likely the reason that that dude says donuts is overrated, people have jumped on it, whatever, and so now its "fresh" to be over it, coincidentally i bumped it last night for the first time in a few months and got hype off of it, some crazy subtle shit in workinonit that i never took the time to think about, don't know how he set up the sequencing of that track, parts fade in and layer over each other so fuckin seamlessly, i know you can say that about a majority of the tracks on there, but workinonit had me trippin last night

#8 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:00 AM

if you're not feeling two can win, you're a cyborg
  • Mr. Sparkle and mangoes cash like this

#9 WaldoH

WaldoH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:38 AM

coincidentally i bumped it last night for the first time in a few months and got hype off of it

same here, my girl was laughing at a few songs but she also got into it at times. I love donuts tho, I'm probably gonna listen to the other half when I get home because we got too busy for me to put on the other record.

#10 JJ

JJ

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:30 AM

most of the work there was protools clean up if i remember reading correctly, lining up recorded out tracks or whatever

Blunthead, You probably mis-remember that, or read it from someone who was not involved.

There was no Pro-Tools used at any time in the mixing, editing or sequencing of Donuts.

And to respond to the original post, I love the hell out of this album.
  • Mr. Sparkle, mangoes cash, Vinyl_Box and 1 other like this

#11 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:12 PM

word, i can't remember where it was even from, it was something along those lines though right?? moving certain sounds a hair forward or back or something like that, i guess it was just in the machine, don't know why it was in my head that that was the case

#12 flowmontana71

flowmontana71

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:24 PM

Me personally, "Donuts" is a masterpiece. Since a lot of his beat tapes (especially the "Motown" beat tape #3 2005)at that time sounded very similar, it didn't really (the sound) throw me off like other people.

The thing that amazes me the most about that album was/is his "chopping" technique. He just took it to a whole nother level. Especially when or if you ever play the originals... he just took sampling to Mars and back. The choice of samples, the hidden messages (if you truly believe in that theory), short yet powerful 3 minute tracks....also, Dilla was known for the best drum patterns in Hip-Hop....he changed his style so much with Donuts... all you can hear is maybe the kick drum on some of those songs.....its like he re-invented himself.....

Just an incredible album....and...to me.... BK Vol 5&6 is a close second...but that's a whole nother post.....

http://flowmontana71.podomatic.com
Real Hip-Hop!!!!

#13 Tackler

Tackler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

certafied your talking about the stussy documentary when egon said dilla would bring his beats for mastering i think and the different softwares would make his beats offbeat. the awsomeness of dilla would fix it by listening and knowing how much to move each instrument, even as little as a "baby hairs" to the left or right.

i guess you gotta be a producer to fully appreciate donuts because those are the people that are checking out the samples and noticing how well dilla chopped shit up and put it together, making some tracks sound like loops. he kept it simple as well as complicated. producers usually pay more attention to instrumentals also cause over time you train your ear to dissect different sounds so the subtleties become clearer at first listen.

#14 JJ

JJ

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

certafied your talking about the stussy documentary when egon said dilla would bring his beats for mastering i think and the different softwares would make his beats offbeat. the awsomeness of dilla would fix it by listening and knowing how much to move each instrument, even as little as a "baby hairs" to the left or right.

that was Dave Cooley, and he was referring to recording sessions (not mastering) for The Shining. But Donut was all a 2-track deal.

at 4:03 --

http://www.youtube.c...F2Eo8BM#t=4m03s
  • mangoes cash likes this

#15 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:36 PM

exactly what i was remembering, good looks tackler, gotta get my facts straightened out

#16 Tackler

Tackler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:31 PM

forsure certafied, i had some facts wrong also lol good lookin out jj

what ive always wondered, was (at 630 in the vid) what was it exactly that you did, JJ, because the beats dont sound extended at all or anything.

#17 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

Gotta respond to the original post ... Dilla Donuts hasn't left my "play often/all the time" stack of records since it first came out. There's not many records out there that one would consider timeless, meaning you can remember what you were doing at the exact moment that you first heard it. I was on Myspace (remember that shit?) chatting with a lady friend of mine who went to the release party ... She called me when "Two Can Win" was playing and I damn near fell out my chair when the "oooOOOOHHHH" part started playing. Classic shit, no doubt.

B)

#18 flowmontana71

flowmontana71

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:59 PM

There's not many records out there that one would consider timeless, meaning you can remember what you were doing at the exact moment that you first heard it.

B)

True that..... For real......

http://flowmontana71.podomatic.com
"Real Hip-Hop"

#19 berlerac

berlerac

Rookie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:22 PM

dave cooley on donuts:

http://www.gearslutz...6536-post6.html

#20 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:48 AM

I know plenty of people that listen to hip hop and don't like donuts or any other instrumental albums. Some people just don't like listening to beats

those people are fucked.

And I loves this album. Right away I got it, listened to it, loved it, then he died right after I believe. Wow, there were quite a few times that I would then listen to it, knowing that it was him making this record, knowing his death was soon. Makes the work, not so much more beautiful, but more significant and you can see the thought, care and message he wanted to put into it. ST, like it isn't, should be and will go down in history, for putting out this album. PBW could start releasing 14 year boy bands doing renditions of Britney Spears and ST would still have clout.

#21 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

Just an incredible album....and...to me.... BK Vol 5&6 is a close second...but that's a whole nother post.....

Yeah, BK 5&6 is really amazing. Def my fav BK.

Donuts is one of those albums that grows on you and imo those are the best kinds of albums. You have "oh shit" moments every time you listen too it. I was stuck on that luther vandross sampled track (not sure the name) for weeks. The way he flipped that is unbelievable. I listened to this album for prob six months when I first got it.

#22 Quality

Quality

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Universal Cycles, Heaven, Eargasms, Like Minds, Expression, Philosophy, Cinematography, Animation..
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/qualityhiphop

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:13 PM

Word, greatest beat tape ever. Like some of y'all, still remember poppin that cherry Donut lol and being like wtf is this? Love how the perception of music/sound can change over time.

#23 RiLLiLL

RiLLiLL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:42 PM

To this day i just can't listen to some tracks on Donuts, while others have changed my life.

#24 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

To this day i just can't listen to some tracks on Donuts, while others have changed my life.

True that, One for Ghost can get incredibly annoying but several others tracks are great as we all know

#25 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:15 AM

It's an amazing album. Everytime I sit down, put the headphones on and listen to this...just blown away. What he did on the album is amazing, hands down.

But to each its own, if the kid doesn't understand this album, fuck it.

#26 cav23j

cav23j

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:48 AM

yeah it wasn't made on his death bed like alot of people think
Kweli was saying that on twitter awhile back and J.Rocc responded to him saying that wasn't true

#27 jay-be

jay-be

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:music is cool

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:44 AM

the problem i got with donuts is you literally can't jump into it halfway and enjoy the album. nothing on the album sounds right unless it's played front to back, and IMO, that's songwriting at its finest
  • Quality likes this

#28 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

didn't want to make a new donuts thread to ask this... is that live bass on "stop"? side question... did dilla fucking kick ass at bass?

#29 rafi

rafi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:28 PM

you could argue for overrated but it's definitely not "bad" as he says.

#30 Machiventa

Machiventa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:Love, Hugs, & Hip Hop Soul

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:48 AM

the problem i got with donuts is you literally can't jump into it halfway and enjoy the album. nothing on the album sounds right unless it's played front to back, and IMO, that's songwriting at its finest

Weird, I can jump in at any song and still enjoy it. But I get what you're saying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users