• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 josh

josh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:52 PM

alright well i've been looking at record care sites and have been finding some interesting facts about maintaining your records.

i guess leaving fingerprints can harm your records because of the grease and such on your fingers that have a chemical reaction with whats on the vinyl.

i just kind of picked up djing so i dont know if its really that big of a deal, as of now i think im doing the bare minimum of putting the record sleeve in its cover with the opening facing away from the cover's opening.

if anyone could offer some personal experiences...

should i really go to the extent of dusting off and wiping down my records after every use, or are most of these suggestions a case of ocd.

can anyone offer some suggestions, guidelines, or whatever you do to keep your shit in good shape.

thanks

#2 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Interests:soundnoir.net

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:33 PM

you sound like yoour on the right track.. obviously -

keep in a cool climate
no exposure to sun
Horizontally stacked - duhh
keep the sleeve on the left or right of the jacket to prevent dust
you know about the oil, but that can always be cleaned - if your delaing with a record that really means a lot to you get doubles - or record it to cd... or just dust and clean everytime.
get the best needles possible...
make sure the tone arm balance is right. - too much weight and it will kill the record.

umm - i think thats about it -

of yeah - don't turn into a "seymour" from "ghost world" ;)

anyone else got info to help him out???

#3 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,504 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:33 AM

i just give mine a hug before bedtime and they seem cool with that

#4 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:48 AM

Someone once told me to use rubbing alcohol to clean really dirty records. Never tried it myself, but always wondered if it was a good idea?

#5 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,077 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:47 AM

D4 cleaner with the brush. This is a great way to keep records clean. You can get them anywhere, check www.turntablelab.com if you are having trouble finding it.

Other than that, just be realistic. If you have a record that you scratch with a lot, then you will have to deal with the fact that it's gonna get worn out. My Hee-Haw breaks record is beat to shit.

For needles, I think the shure M-447's or whatever the hell they are, are good enough.

Don't get lazy and let your records stay in a stack on top of eachother naked (without sleeves) all the time. People do that a lot (I have been guilty of it in the past) and that will fuck your records up big time.

Nothing worse than killing a crowd and then losing it because the record skips.

Just don't get too paranoid and take decent care of them. It's the best you can do.

Shakey is right, hugging them before bed time, or before you leave them for an extended period of time also helps big time. Maybe even reading them a bed time story before lights out.

#6 scabs

scabs

Facebook.com/scabsallover Scabsallover.bandcamp.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Ableton9, APC40, & Monome 40h

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/scabsallover

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:10 PM

Someone once told me to use rubbing alcohol to clean really dirty records. Never tried it myself, but always wondered if it was a good idea?

I heard of this too, but I'm scared to do so. I use rubbing acholol on my pipe to clean it and if it does the same thing I wouldn't want it near my records. Maybe I would do it on my 2nd copy of "Protect Ya Neck" to test it though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users