• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#121 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

new tape is wack imo

:rolleyes:

GD

#122 Jadoe

Jadoe

ch-POW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

:rolleyes:

GD

?!?!
..whaat Geech!??!!

#123 Taskmaster2112

Taskmaster2112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

This cat puts out way too much music, but I just listened to the Danny Brown "XXX" remixes that he put on his Bandcamp and I thought they were cool. This is the first Knxwledge stuff I've really listened to.

Can someone give me a top 3 or 5 Knwledge albums/EPs/beat tapes that I should check out? I don't know where to start with this guys discography.

#124 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

Start from his earliest release. You won't get anything out of top 3-5 albums/EPs, what I like may not be what you like.

#125 Taskmaster2112

Taskmaster2112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

Ha I know how taste works. I'm just curious what people's favorite projects of his are.

#126 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

Ha I know how taste works. I'm just curious what people's favorite projects of his are.

http://gloof.bandcam...funr-isrs-vol-3

#127 Taskmaster2112

Taskmaster2112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

Word thanks. I'm hoping if a handful of people make recommendations I'll get a nice cross section of Knxwledge's stuff and I'll be better equipped to fully dive into his material.

#128 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

What's odd is that I first found about Knxwledge around the same time he released K∆NN∆LOUPE​.​EP. Watching his discrography from then to now has been kind of overwhelming. He started off relatively slow and just started releasing whatever he had laying around on his Mac Book.

#129 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

Wrap tapes is good, and both hexual sealings are awesome. I also like komposure

#130 mixupsupreme

mixupsupreme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

My favorites are all of the Hexual Sealings including 1.5 and karma loops pt.4

#131 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

GEECH PREFERS DIL WITHERS

How is that dude going to straight jack J Dilla's nickname? Isn't that just being hella lazy when it comes to picking a moniker for yourself? That's like a rapper deciding to call himself Plug Won.
  • Jadoe and James Frank. like this

#132 Jadoe

Jadoe

ch-POW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

his highlight release.
fucked with the first hexual sealings too, and his mixes are usually dope

#133 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

man i'm behind. when i typed that yesterday i thought there was only one wrap tapes. fucking knxwledge

#134 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

his highlight release.
fucked with the first hexual sealings too, and his mixes are usually dope

Thanks.

#135 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

?!?! ..whaat Geech!??!!

most of his stuff is whack to me

but he has his moments

GmfDn
  • Jadoe likes this

#136 Jadoe

Jadoe

ch-POW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

aight, i AM feeling this one http://gloof.bandcam...ethrniss-b-side

#137 eludem

eludem

Rookie

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

might like this

http://eludem.bandca...m/album/frgmnts

#138 variance

variance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:40 AM

KNX. BUTTRSKOTCH
by GUS SUTHERLAND on Dec 28, 2012

For me, the most exciting release this year was an 11minute (actual) beat tape. That may speak as much about the attention span of this listener as much as anything else, but Knxwledge was able to capture more feeling in those eleven 1 minute tracks than some producers could find within a years’ worth of output.
Every Knxwledge track I’ve heard doesn’t lend itself to over analysis. Each tune simply alludes to a mood in the manner of the most successful hiphop instrumentals. In Knx.’s case he tends to most often express the personal and sad side of beats, definitely the territory this tape largely occupies. The emotion comes through a real affinity with and mastery of his source material, rather than just another producer sampling soul records. It’s much more than that. I’m sure there’ll be a rap album soon, there really needs to be. His tracks with Blu (both official & upcoming) have found as an apt mc/producer combination as I can think of. A voice that truly fits the backdrops in a way not reached by every aspiring soundcloud rapper claiming Knx.’s instrumentals for their own self promotion.
Posted Image
When I chatted to Knx. in 2010 he openly told me he’ll never make 7 minute beats and is unlikely to work on any track for over half an hour. Move onto the next. Therefore in the time I take to write this it’s conceivable he’ll make another EP. Or three. The lack of vowels and the absence of the spacebar in his song titles say more than any Internet blog could attempt to decipher. There is a fluidity about the stream of consciousness song titles and selection of beats though that feels at once effortless and deliberate. It’s amusing if also a bit sad to see producers even biting his typos.
Buttrkotch is the ideal length of tape, with the short tracks demanding repeat listens so you’ve listened to the album two or three times while barely noticing. Wintrshun & toffbroshn are current standouts, though I’m aware after listening to a lot of his music that could change in the next five or ten minutes. That simply reflects his ease in communicating transient emotions within very fleeting timeframes.
It’s also simply more satisfying to flip the tape than to have the tracks lost in a sea of Knxwledge tracks in your itunes library. The beautiful transparent blue cassette is a reminder this is a DIY bedroom project recorded straight to tape and sounds perfect on that format. The old school portrait (literally) of a young Knx. for the cover echoes an innocent nostalgia inherent in the music. Visually and sonically this album/ep/beat tape just feels right.
To any fan of modern instrumental music in general, it makes perfect sense to marry the consistent brilliance of Knx.’s soulful offbeat sketches with the L.A. tape label Leaving Records. Both the artist and label reflect the same sensibilities; to drop projects steeped in straight lo-fi cassette raw beats that are equally conceived like art pieces. It is both this direction and openness I believe to have established Leaving as the most innovative L.A. label within this beat movement, although Matthew David would be the first to state they are by no means a strictly beats only label. Their deal with Stones Throw to distribute their projects on vinyl is really great news as it will bring many underexposed/overlooked artists like Dakim to a worldwide audience.
Posted Image
When chatting to the photographer B+ years ago on the elusive qualities that elevate Madlib & Dilla to seemingly unreachable heights in this beatmaking world he put it concisely- there is an emotional reach in their work simply beyond almost every other producer. It has become clear with each near-monthly bandcamp release Knx. is drawing from a similarly endless well and extracting the goods everytime. With his own instrumental voice that’s becoming more defined with each release.
It doesn’t matter that he is constantly mining familiar territory of jazz & soul records for his material, or that there are far too many albums/eps to digest at the time of release. Aside from the need to be a truly self-sufficient independent artist, it’s quite clear he simply doesn’t have a choice in this. If Knxwledge can continue to collaborate with such finely curated labels as Leaving, it’s reassuring there will be at least some physical releases to document the progress of one of the most prolific and important artists of his generation. Even if that reflects merely a few percent of what he’s creating.

#139 variance

variance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Posted Image
Hexual​.​Sealings​.​Pt​.​4​.​b​-​side_
Jan 2013

#140 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

IS IT A SIN TO MAKE THIS MANY ALBUMS?

GD

#141 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

I was on track with his releases for about a year. Now, it is hard or me to keep caring.

#142 variance

variance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

#143 Vilens

Vilens

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

Knxwledge is that dude.

They key is to not think of it as an album or EP situation. They're beats he makes when messing around and releases. Cop the WHOLE catalogue and throw it all on shuffle while reading or riding the subway. Good money.

Don't sleep on dude's live sets either.

#144 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

Knxwledge is that dude.

All of this.

#145 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:34 AM

Knxwledge is that dude.

They key is to not think of it as an album or EP situation. They're beats he makes when messing around and releases. Cop the WHOLE catalogue and throw it all on shuffle while reading or riding the subway. Good money.

Yeah, I always put all the music I have from him on shuffle. I finally acquired the rest of his 2012 releases...that's some good shit. Gonna see which 2013 releases I'll buy, maybe just stream them from his bandcamp.

#146 variance

variance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

Posted Image

relevnt​.​b​/​sde_LP.

Apr 2013

#147 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

Now that ST and Leaving are working hand in glove with this upcoming KNX 'Anthology' can JJ or Bot move this thread to the ST section?

#148 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:58 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wGt4WK-97Y

thats some good shit

#149 norieaster

norieaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

i just gotta say i'm really looking forward to anthology. I always have a hard time justifying paying for digital files. I like my music in physical form.

#150 norieaster

norieaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

anthology is perfect smoke music

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users