• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 googlehupf

googlehupf

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:20 AM

sorry if thats the wrong place for that, my english is not good enough to find out if this is. i just wanted to throw the hint, that it would be a lot better for the st website, if the music was released on a more open service than itunes.

1st: not everybody has an itunes account, especialy in places outside the us, where making music is not so strongly equivalent to having a mac.

2nd: by using itunes st supports itunes and apple. as apple is also a big music dealer, supporting apple is contrary to the traditional approach for consuming behaviour that grew in hiphop culture which is to move the money as directly as possible to the artists and the small record shops, not to the big coorporations.

3rd: using a more open service like soundcloud will help to spread the music through other blogs. many such services have the capability of providing an embed code, so the music can be played directly.

i would be interested what you think about that, especialy the st people themselves.
  • critzelsworth, thethiefstheme and Mr. Sparkle like this

#2 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:18 AM

1. An iTunes account is free and will work on any computer, not just Mac.

2. Podcasts are free both on iTunes and on this website, which is making no one rich.

3. I do agree soundcloud would be good too, but if it's free, I'm willing to go to whichever site they use.
  • critzelsworth likes this

#3 Cis

Cis

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:18 AM

iTunes has many advantages imo:

- When you subscride to a podcast it downloads automatically every new episode
- It synchs with your iPod
- It's free!
- It supports the "small" artists, a lot of indie releases are available for a good price

Your comment about the spreading to blogs is a good point, isn't there a function that makes a link to the podcast on iTunes?

#4 ST Bot

ST Bot

STMB Official

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:15 AM

We agree more with orchid & Cis obviously.

iTunes podcast aggregator is merely a tool to get this music to people for free. When something better comes along, we switch to that.

#5 Munoz387

Munoz387

Brothas can't see me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:08 AM

4. When you stop the podcast to listen to another song you can continue where you left off, like a bookmark. lol
  • SunnyMeadowz likes this

#6 Molloy

Molloy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

You guys need to remember iTunes software for PC is an absolute dog. I haven't used it for years. Particularly if you've an older computer it just won't run cleanly. It's fine on the mac but I don't have one of those.

I haven't listened to a Stones Throw podcast in about 3 years. I got a different brand of mp3 player and I've never looked back. Only thing is it doesn't play .aac files. As with most non-Apple mp3 players/phones that people have.

Every other podcast I follow is available in a ton of different formats, and direct download.

I'm not going to complain because I tend to mostly listen to talk podcasts and I've more stuff to listen to than I can get around to usually. But you're losing out on a large audience by being iTunes exclusive. The podcast is presumably to help promote the music so it's in your interest to have as many people as possible be able to access it.

I'd commend ST for being very on the ball in every other aspect of digital music. You're one of the few labels whose music is hard to find on mediafire/megaupload etc because you actively get the links taken down. Actually buying your music is really easy as well because you have a lot of different solutions.

edit: I was able to find the mp3 for Podcast 64 in google after 10 seconds. It had been blogged elsewhere. Might as well do it at the source.
  • Mr. Sparkle likes this

#7 SpiderONFire

SpiderONFire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

You guys need to remember iTunes software for PC is an absolute dog. I haven't used it for years. Particularly if you've an older computer it just won't run cleanly. It's fine on the mac but I don't have one of those.

I haven't listened to a Stones Throw podcast in about 3 years. I got a different brand of mp3 player and I've never looked back. Only thing is it doesn't play .aac files. As with most non-Apple mp3 players/phones that people have.

Every other podcast I follow is available in a ton of different formats, and direct download.

I'm not going to complain because I tend to mostly listen to talk podcasts and I've more stuff to listen to than I can get around to usually. But you're losing out on a large audience by being iTunes exclusive. The podcast is presumably to help promote the music so it's in your interest to have as many people as possible be able to access it.

I'd commend ST for being very on the ball in every other aspect of digital music. You're one of the few labels whose music is hard to find on mediafire/megaupload etc because you actively get the links taken down. Actually buying your music is really easy as well because you have a lot of different solutions.

edit: I was able to find the mp3 for Podcast 64 in google after 10 seconds. It had been blogged elsewhere. Might as well do it at the source.

Here is a RSS feed with direct mp3 links for the podcasts http://www.stonesthr...box/podcast.xml
I have that loaded in Google reader so I can download directly whenever the podcasts come out
  • Mr. Sparkle likes this

#8 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,908 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

I hate itunes as well but there's still ways to go about getting the podcast. It's the information age, sheesh!
  • Mr. Sparkle and Vinyl_Box like this

#9 googlehupf

googlehupf

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

thanks for the many replies, i look forward for more ;)

my main reason for not using itunes is, that i run on linux and only use open source software. thats maybe also where my aversion against apple comes from, but here are some good arguments for itunes too.

Here is a RSS feed with direct mp3 links for the podcasts http://www.stonesthr...box/podcast.xml

i have exactly that rss feed too in my feedreader, i get no download links, only the information that is in the podcast-posting itself. are you sure your statement is true? if yes, i will have to check my rss reader.

I hate itunes as well but there's still ways to go about getting the podcast. It's the information age, sheesh!

the problem with the information age is the many information and how to organize it, so you are right, there are ways, but st would benefit from communicating these ways directly. like many people i follow websites via feedreaders that bring 100s of hits every day. and my "workflow" of making a selection and loading it to my player every morning (my way to work is the only time i have for music on weekdays) is quite straightforward, i dont want to look for other ways on my own ;)

#10 Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:09 PM

I definitely prefer this method over iTunes.

#11 yasharwan

yasharwan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:28 AM

'5% of us knows what's going on. Make that 15%!
Ten is hell bent on controlling every red cent, plus your senses.
So they take census and build penitentiaries for modern day slavery.'
- Cornbread
  • SunnyMeadowz and Vinyl_Box like this

#12 pyraz

pyraz

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:49 AM

1. An iTunes account is free and will work on any computer, not just Mac.

That is blatantly false. Despite repeated petitions and requests Apple has refused to make a distribution for Linux.

my main reason for not using itunes is, that i run on linux and only use open source software.

I second that, also my reason for not having iTunes. I would be just as happy if I could download them from the website, but I have to enter in credit card information before they let me download a FREE podcast?! That makes no sense, and I don't like throwing my credit card info around the internet unless I have to.

Stones Throw, your music is amazing, please make your podcast more easily accesible.

#13 tankdayglo

tankdayglo

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:53 AM

Man, I don't know what you're all complaining about. Someone already posted this link in this very thread, but I'll post it again:

http://www.stonesthr...box/podcast.xml

That link has mp3 downloads of the podcasts. No iTunes necessary. Am I missing something, doesn't that solve the problem?
  • Vinyl_Box likes this

#14 ChuangTzu

ChuangTzu

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

Man, I don't know what you're all complaining about. Someone already posted this link in this very thread, but I'll post it again:

http://www.stonesthr...box/podcast.xml

That link has mp3 downloads of the podcasts. No iTunes necessary. Am I missing something, doesn't that solve the problem?

It solves the problem for us, i.e. everyone of us who actually took the time to find the forums, register, and search to see if this has been hashed out before and then start a complaint thread if not. It doesn't help the probably 50x more people who simply believe it's impossible and leave empty-handed.

#15 ChuangTzu

ChuangTzu

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:05 PM

It's not clear from the google search results or the page with the link to the XML file that the XML file contains direct links to the mp3s. I didn't figure that out until I found this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users