23 replies to this topic

#1 mishk

mishk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:49 AM

Posted Image

Last time I was there was in 1994 but im coming back for a week or so in October.

Whats good to do see these days. My last visit was kinda hazy so any recommendations would be good

Im also off to Hong Kong around the same time was there a few years ago but not for long

Posted Image

Peace Mishk

#2 Phineas Q. Butterfat

Phineas Q. Butterfat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:41 PM

I'm dying to head back there myself, haven't been since summer of '02.

#3 DeeSupreme

DeeSupreme

growing up is for trees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:15 PM

it's good place no doubt
i was there last summer for 4 days, amazing i dontsmoke anymore myself but the graff ish was dopea for sure

i recommend A'dam for everyone, im dying to get back there too

have a nice 1 if you get there !

edit: the recomendations

-Rush Hour Records

-coffeeshops at Niewendijk and the strets near Nieuwendijk, Spuistraat, i also recommed going to Belgium or France as its so fuggin cheap like 20€ a way !!!

#4 mishk

mishk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:09 PM

it's good place no doubt
i was there last summer for 4 days, amazing i dontsmoke anymore myself but the graff ish was dopea for sure

i recommend A'dam for everyone, im dying to get back there too

have a nice 1 if you get there !

edit: the recomendations

-Rush Hour Records

-coffeeshops at Niewendijk and the strets near Nieuwendijk, Spuistraat, i also recommed going to Belgium or France as its so fuggin cheap like 20€ a way !!!

Cool thanks for that will definitely add rush hour records to my to do list,

#5 Beatronome

Beatronome

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/beatronome

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:33 AM

When I go to Amsterdam, I usually also visit record stores like Fame and Concerto.

#6 mau

mau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:18 AM

Posted Image

Last time I was there was in 1994 but im coming back for a week or so in October.

Whats good to do see these days. My last visit was kinda hazy so any recommendations would be good

Peace Mishk

record shops:

concerto - utrechtsestraat 60
rush hour - spuistraat 98
la planete suasage - kerkstraat 3
distortion - westerstraat 244
record palace - weteringschans 33-A

there's a hiphop cafe located close to rembrandtsquare called "de duivel" (reguliersdwarsstraat 87) but it's pretty small though.
can't really help you on other bars cause i don't go party that much but bitterzoet (spuistraat 2) has allot of hiphop/soul/funk etc. nights.

as for coffeeshops, you should avoid shops like the bulldog or grasshopper cause they charge way too much. kadinsky shops are always good. i highly recommend this one: http://www.coffeesho...om/Central.html you can choose your own bag there, they got a big ass wooden box with all kinds of weed and hash : )

#7 mishk

mishk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

record shops:

concerto - utrechtsestraat 60
rush hour - spuistraat 98
la planete suasage - kerkstraat 3
distortion - westerstraat 244
record palace - weteringschans 33-A

there's a hiphop cafe located close to rembrandtsquare called "de duivel" (reguliersdwarsstraat 87) but it's pretty small though.
can't really help you on other bars cause i don't go party that much but bitterzoet (spuistraat 2) has allot of hiphop/soul/funk etc. nights.

as for coffeeshops, you should avoid shops like the bulldog or grasshopper cause they charge way too much. kadinsky shops are always good. i highly recommend this one: http://www.coffeesho...om/Central.html you can choose your own bag there, they got a big ass wooden box with all kinds of weed and hash : )

Nice thanks for the tips , whatabout some places for some good cheap eats ??

#8 mau

mau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:43 PM

cheap? i don't know. but there's lots of good restaurants in the utrechtsestraat

#9 Cis

Cis

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:03 AM

Don't forget Waxwell records, nice selection they sell

#10 DeeSupreme

DeeSupreme

growing up is for trees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:08 AM

Nice thanks for the tips , whatabout some places for some good cheap eats ??

Mannaken Pis @ Damrak :lol: fries !

#11 LuvBunz

LuvBunz

the funk goes on.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  • Interests:butts + baby oil

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:12 AM

Utrecht.
Just to escape the dam for a bit. 20 min by train.

#12 mishk

mishk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:29 PM

Just realised ill be there the same time the ame is on any good for hip hop or brainfeeder type music

#13 Cis

Cis

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:54 AM

Just realised ill be there the same time the ame is on any good for hip hop or brainfeeder type music

You'll have to wait untill the program is online to know that but I'll guess there will be some names in that direction.

#14 dishwater

dishwater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:01 AM

i'm living in amsterdam, so it there's anything specific you want to know...

for food, i like to eat thai at Bird, in the Zeedijk/Nieuwmarkt area... great curry for 10 euros. There isn't much 'local' cuisine to speak of so the best restaurants are Thai, Sushi, etc. There are some great Italian places too, on a side street of the Westermarkt.

coffeeshops: go to de rokerij, de dampkring, the greenhouse... each of them have several shops around the center and they're all good

For records, the good spots have been named, Concerto, Rush Hour, Waxwell and a little second hand shop on the Amstel, behind the Rembrandtsquare that i like to check. Or check the market in Waterlooplein, lot's of cheap vinyl that might have some cool weird stuff.
On the Weteringschans (opposite Paradiso) there's a good record shop for jazz, psychedelic stuff and other older vinyl. Most of the stuff you'll find in second hand crates is shit, because our parents seemed to have a sucky taste for music.
Oh and Distortion records on the Westerstraat, packed to the brim with good stuff of all kinds. You gotta not mind rearranging stacks of vinyl to be able to find anything though, but it's a good shop and the owner knows what he has.

#15 mishk

mishk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

i'm living in amsterdam, so it there's anything specific you want to know...

for food, i like to eat thai at Bird, in the Zeedijk/Nieuwmarkt area... great curry for 10 euros. There isn't much 'local' cuisine to speak of so the best restaurants are Thai, Sushi, etc. There are some great Italian places too, on a side street of the Westermarkt.

coffeeshops: go to de rokerij, de dampkring, the greenhouse... each of them have several shops around the center and they're all good

For records, the good spots have been named, Concerto, Rush Hour, Waxwell and a little second hand shop on the Amstel, behind the Rembrandtsquare that i like to check. Or check the market in Waterlooplein, lot's of cheap vinyl that might have some cool weird stuff.
On the Weteringschans (opposite Paradiso) there's a good record shop for jazz, psychedelic stuff and other older vinyl. Most of the stuff you'll find in second hand crates is shit, because our parents seemed to have a sucky taste for music.
Oh and Distortion records on the Westerstraat, packed to the brim with good stuff of all kinds. You gotta not mind rearranging stacks of vinyl to be able to find anything though, but it's a good shop and the owner knows what he has.

Thanks for that im staying just down the road from one of the de rokerij cafes on Amstel so thats handy to get blunted .

#16 mau

mau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:53 AM

http://www.viralradio.net/

keep an eye out on their agenda, i think they got some good parties coming in october

#17 bb_double

bb_double

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:u

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:54 PM

I just went to amsterdam in May for a short while with my girlfriend,
-I didn't go to every spot but my favorite place for records was concerto, I spent a bunch of $$ there. They have a pretty good new and used stuff and their used stuff is good because there isn't a ton of shit $1 bin records selling for $10
-My favorite weed spot was either of the two greenhouse coffee shops, they had great selection and sold a better quality green than most places
-The Van gogh museum is really rad if you are into art, I would suggest smoking a big joint and than strolling on over there, his paintings are unreal in person.
-For clothes Patta Parra has worked with them a lot and designed almost all of their stuff, as well they sell Parra's clothing line rockwell as well as some other good brands, there wasn't really any other clothing stores but I didn't go shopping much.
-The food is expensive because of the Euro but there is tons of good spots in the downtown area if your willing to pay a little, for cheaper eats just go to a pub aka a café in the Netherlands, Pub food is amazing in Europe compared to what its like in North America

#18 Supreme

Supreme

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:54 PM

hookers

#19 Supreme

Supreme

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

were is concerto ??????????

#20 bb_double

bb_double

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:u

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:16 PM

were is concerto ??????????

Here

#21 mishk

mishk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:47 PM

Well I couldn't get the map to embed but thanks for the help if anyone has any more spots they wanna add go ahead!

Spots to check

#22 DeeSupreme

DeeSupreme

growing up is for trees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:43 AM

also for the graff heads and for those who are looking for clothes in A'Dam

both of the Henx's stores at albertbreesstraat(some local can straighten out the address cause im not too sure is the address wrote that way), and the big paint vendor they have in the nearby Market area

#23 mau

mau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:54 AM

Well I couldn't get the map to embed but thanks for the help if anyone has any more spots they wanna add go ahead!

Spots to check

how can i add a spot myself? i can only view the ones that are added...

#24 mishk

mishk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

how can i add a spot myself? i can only view the ones that are added...

Sorry I have just allowed anyone to edit it now, you need a gmail account though :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users